Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

I don’t think Trump will run in 2024 but I’m sure he will continue to tease it in order to cause the Democrat’s media handmaiden's heads to collectively explode. 

Trump has raised $102 million since leaving the White House to spread around and help Republicans in the 2022 mid-terms and the 2024 presidential election. Pretty good job of raising money since social media giants and the mainstream media have worked tirelessly to make sure his voice isn’t heard and continually tell lies about him, ad nauseam.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,517 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Any response to my question about guns at the 6 January insurrection? This one: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/117690778#Comment_117690778

So, where's the post you claim exists from someone claiming guns brandished at the insurrection? Still waiting. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

The only thing Trump is giving is his name to the other republican candidates I would be pretty confident he is not sharing a cent out of his portion of the money raised in the PAC the only bit will be the % that is allocated to the party the largest share is lining his pockets. There is enough evidence down the years that he does not pay his bills in full nor timely so why in god's name would he change his MO now?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

That would not be a bar to to him running again.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The GOP won't see a penny of that money. Trump won't even pay Guliani, not a hope in hell he gives any of that money to anybody else. The man is a grifter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Detritus70

And as we have seen with the ever fewer posters who defend him to the hilt, no matter what, they support him specifically because he is a grifter and compulsive liar.

That's the loud part, the quiet part would be that he sticks it to all dem wimmin, Mexicans, Muslims, lefties and anyone who isn't some kind of John Wayne caricature, owns at least a dozen guns, eats nothing but steak and pisses bourbon.

I would love to see Trump run against Harris in 2024. Him losing against a woman from a minority background would just be too good.

Of course if you think the howls of outrage against Obama were bad (I don't care how you dress it up, this was naked and unbridled racism), the screams of outrage if Harris would win would be deafening. Because his base is ever shrinking. No normal, decent, functioning person with a shred of brains, honour and backbone will support Trump.

Listen to the children of the night...

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

He has always attracted the cu*ts and mentally challenged both in the U. S. and elsewhere.

Just because some on here flushed half their dole money on him winning last year given that they were sure he'd win and haven't been around since doesn't mean that they won't pop back again if he runs again, especially if against Harris.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

The fact that you think he's going to share any of that money with anyone is hilarious. Hopelessly deluded as usual.

There is a film title and saying that applies to anyone donating to trump, "You can't cheat an honest man".

In fairness there are a multitude of others that apply to his supporters like "You can't handle the truth".

"No qualifications, no experience, no surprise."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Let it be clear I'm the last person to defend Trump, but I would've never thought GDP growth was worse under Trump than it was during our most recent global recession or the one in the early 1980s following the 1979 energy crisis?!

Does anyone have numbers handy? Is it purely pandemic economics viewed in isolation that we're talking about?

Didn't he promise to hit 5 or 6%?

Maybe if his response to covid hadn't been so inept, he might have scraped over 2%.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,023 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Positively delightful. Holy ****. You couldn't scroll past a comments section in 2016 without someone repeating the talking point about Obama's GDP, and how it never got above 3% annum, and how they didn't accept from Obama that would be a new norm. My Congressman, whom I make sure to engage with online, had a post 2 or 4 times a week during the election about that GDP, and how Trump was going to make it better.

Then came Trump.

And I asked Congressman Duncan: why do you suddenly not want to talk about the GDP anymore? Is it because it's at 2%, not 3%? Nothing.

Then it happened again in the next quarter, and then boom, Trump got a quarter above 3%, suddenly the GDP was a thing again, none of them could shut up about it - until they forgot that it was a quarter, and Obama had good quarters - Obama had a 5.5% quarter back in 2014, so they were celebrating a bit early. And then finally Trump managed to survive 4 quarters in office and - he just didn't hit the mark. 2.8%. In fact, even giving him any 4 consecutive quarters, he at best only got 3.3% in a year (which is not how its done, but that's Q3 Q4 2017 and Q1 Q2 2018) and that was wholly centered around the push for the tax cut and jobs act - which fizzled, because it didn't reduce the debt or increase employment: we're over $8T more in debt than when Trump got there, and we had 5 million fewer people working. But at the time, all those sudden tax waivers were a sugar rush on capital expenses like buying automation and moving factories overseas (oops) - and with all of that sugar, and pumping of the economy - it still just amounted to 3.3%, in the best possible light.

But the 1st quarter after the tax cut, and the quarter where the economy was basically just rebounding from the massive crash that just happened (-31.4% GDP, which they pretended never happened, then +33.4%, which they went NUTS about) those were the only times they wanted to talk shop about GDP, that, and the year I had to hear about it non-stop, because of their obsession with Obama, and trying to find talking points that worked against him.

Post edited by Overheal on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Interesting Graph, but does it take into account Covid and the lockdowns of 2020? What is the rate without Covid, as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

How do you feel about him saying to the DOJ to "declare the election as corrupt and leave the rest to me and R. Congressmen"?

2017: 2.33%

2018: 3.0%

2019: 2.16%

2020 was negative, so I'm ignoring that. His best year was 3%. Without Covid, you'd expect the same esp. as 2019 was trending down. We tried discussing this from time to time on the threads with the likes of RIGOLO who thought himself an economic pundit, but he wouldn't cooperate and slunk away eventually, tail between his legs having been roundly beaten in discussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,948 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Why should years be excluded from a presidency though... It's not done for anyone else. The reaction to crisis is core part of the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think it's reasonable as part of the discussion just to show that it's not Covid which caused Trump's GDP figures to be so low, they still would have been mid-table at best and definitely not near his target of over 5%.

But as you state, most presidents would have dealt with some type of crisis which affected GDP to various degrees. Even Obama's number would be considered low due to the recession.

How do I feel? I feel you foolishly fell for the NY Times lie and twisting of the truth. Look into the NY Times big lie if you don't believe me.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

They shouldn't be excluded, they should be adjusted for the shutting down of our economy for one fourth of his term because of a global pandemic. It's disingenuous not to.

• Advertisement

If you took an average of the previous 3 years and applied it to 2020, then the average GDP growth over the 4 years would be 2.5%. But even then, the GDP wasn't going to jump from 2.16% in 2019 to 5% or above regardless of Covid and especially with the uncertainty of the elections, so the point is moot.

With or without Covid, Trump's GDP growth would be mid-table.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

As I expected. Yet another example of believing Trump ahead of believing others around him. How many situations like this does it take for a Trump supporter to start wondering to themselves "Maybe Donnie isn't the beacon of righteousness that I think he is?" Genuine question.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,635 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Where do you stop? Can we adjust anything or just numbers that look bad for Trump?

He was in charge, he had both the responsibility and ability to make decisions that could have made a difference.

He chose not to. First he ignored it, then he blamed China, then he fought against anyone that disagreed with him and spent most of his time promoting false information.

Its on him. He failed the test, so much so that he couldn't keep himself from getting infected.

Adjust for things that don't suit is just another step into the era that there are no facts, just different ways of looking at things.

Can we all pick whatever aspects we like? If we take out deaths and cases then Trump did brilliant with Covid.

I was responding to the post (hard to tell with the new format) where someone asked what it was without Covid. Hence my quoting of 2017, 2018 and 2019 numbers. The economic behavior during 2020 (Covid) of COURSE matters. You don't get an excuse when your the POTUS. The buck (!) stops there.

Not only that, but most studies indicate that even that mid-table growth during Trump's term was primarily due to Obama's economy and not due to anything Trump did. (1)(2)(3)

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 33,948 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ya adjusted. So if they were included his performance is even worse

Because it was worse. Because he was and is a poor leader and as the states show. The worst president in US history.

Don't blame me because you fell hook line and sinker the NY Times story where they twisted what Trump meant, and refused to show the context behind it, in their zeal to fit their own narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So I it’s been reported that shock horror Donald Trump is going to fight the Congress getting his tax returns. I mean post Nixon(and Nixon may have done it) every presidential candidate of both parties have voluntarily released their tax returns because I think rightly if you are trying to get elected to the most powerful office in the world politically, the voters should know of any potential conflicts of interest and foreign countries you may he beholden to. The fact he’s tried so hard to stop them from them being released would suggest there is something he doesn’t want people to see.

• Advertisement

“Just say the election was corrupt and leave the rest to me and the R. Congressmen,” Trump said.

tHey tWisTeD hIS wORdS

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement