Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Recommendation Thread - Anyone for seconds?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Samhain

Agreed. Never had a bad meal from there. Try the Jomsom Bedo next time, it's similar to a Balti, but the best Balti you ever had.

Was in West cork for the weekend and went to a McCarthy's restaurant in Glengariff yesterday for indoor dining. Masks on and vaccine certs on the phone ready for inspection. Manager didn't even glance at them. Great atmosphere inside there and the food was great!

Went to another pub on Saturday in Glengariff, signs up all over the place for indoor dining people need to have masks and proof of vaccine etc, anyone who went inside didn't have to show any proof. Talking to other friends and family on their experiences, most places don't seem to be enforcing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I had indoor drinks in the Bierhaus on Saturday.

Glad to report that everything was done properly. Scanned certs and checked against Id and details of one person taken.

In other restaurant news, I believe that The Silver Quay is doing discounted humble pie in an effort to retain customers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭notAMember

They’d want to do a lot more than humble pie to pull me in. Bragging about raking in 800k of taxpayer money into his back pocket while paying staff zero. Rejoicing in a pandemic that caused so much suffering. And this from the same fella who laid off the whole staff of Clancys by text.

Wouldnt darken their door in a fit. Showing his true character in public there.

Yup.

I have a real problem with businesses that in an instant reaction last year, let go of all of their staff, despite there being a lot of support to retain staff.

Same businesses are now crying that they can't get staff. Well, perhaps if you made an effort to protect your staff, they'd be there for you now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭sporina

whats the story with The Silver Key guy? And are you talking about the old Clancy's?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Harika

We were at glangariff too and went to Eccles, and were thoroughly checked. Even with scanner.

Cannot recommend the food though

Mad to think both Establishments are at the opposite end of the town and have two completely different views on the new procedures.

Waterside in Cobh on Sunday was the same - all done properly.

Lovely location, friendly staff - godawful food!

• Advertisement

sorry for his recent bereavements but wow.. thats shocking.. did he own the former Clancy's?

honestly, I think bringing up the deaths of loved ones as an excuse, actually makes it worse.

While secretly filming someone a publicly posting it is a **** thing to do, this guy is doing himself no favors with his excuses, I think.

I don't believe that he is sorry or that he believes he was wrong in what he said - he's just sorry that he got caught.

have watched the video since I posted that msg - have had 2nd thoughts as a result - I agree 100% with you.. a stupid heartless man it would seem - shame on him.. will be sure to never set foot inside one of his premises

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Dined in Market Lane over the weekend; normally I think of it as an ok, safe-enough choice; but OMG had the pork-belly starter and it was awesome. Had a half a mind to just cancel the main and ask them to keep the starters coming. The main (steak) was great too.

Not a huge fan of the location (the 'side alley') but the food and staff are still great.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Quite a poor reflection of McCarthy's in Glengarriff there. I've been to quite a few places in the city over the past week and all have enforced the rules. Had a delicious meal in the Raven Friday night, it was my first time eating there but I'll definitely be a repeat customer. Service was fantastic also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Well the backlash worked, my daughter sent home today albeit paid along with 12 staff due to lack of bookings. She's lost tomorrow and Monday as well unpaid

Hope she finds work quick enough, loads of places advertising. Better for her not to be associated with that low life anyway, for her own sake!

You know the old saying… lie down with dogs..

serves him right - i'm sure your daughter will have no trouble finding work else where

• Advertisement

been out for a few meals of late and on 2 occasions, waiting staff have knocked over drinks - ekk - had great sympathy for them.. no harm done.. seems a lot of places have taken on students - lack of experience etc.. but great that they can get work at least..

Liberty grill are still doing Dine at home on the weekends for anyone not confident about going out with the rising infection rates at the moment. We ordered for a family celebration yesterday and the quality was outstanding. Crab cakes, duck, sole, desserts. All delicious.

It was very simple to prep. Everything (starters, mains, veg, potatoes) was 15-20 mins in the oven , same temperature for everything, and microwave the sauces.

Add a couple of nice drinks and you could be on hols.

Prob not for this thread really but

She's been there two years, doesn't drive and it's five minutes walk. Not that easy to change.

Less be straight ... one member commenting on here on DM'd me directly on the Key a while ago with wild allegations, so.... Yes it's my local, yes I've patronised it it for 24 years, yes what he said was totally wrong but my kid was sent home because of a boycott. How many of you are regulars. How many have kids trying to work.

Im not defending him at all. I'm in the industry and it's hurt a lot of people but like it or not, he took the supports on offer as would any business just got pissed and told everyone.

The chefs, the managers 17, 19 and 15 years working there as well as the youngsters aren't at fault.

Boycotting isn't the answer with 12 youngsters sent home, this isn't a city centre bar, most staff are local, you're hurting the wrong people

MODS apologies if this is off topic and please feel free to delete.

Unfortunately he was laughing about how much the staff were making him through their misfortune, so tales of concern now ring pretty hollow. Ask the ex Clancy’s employees too?

I am a local as well, and see his circle of drinking buddies the last few days, soaking up the sob stories. He has some of them hoodwinked, hiding behind his deceased family and anything else he can think of for sympathy.

Local people don’t like being taken for fools. There are enough neighbours who bought vouchers for example to support them in the pandemic. Plenty of those vouchers were then refused in recent months with the proprietor claiming pandemic poverty and barely scraping by. It’s a slap in the face to those customers to see him bragging about hauling in money after trying to support them in good faith.

Add to that the litany of other problems there, with both criminal and civil cases pending. Gardai on his back, probably revenue now too, business sinking, some of his pals have even had enough, given they released that video. It’s a pure mess, but it’s of his own doing. It isn’t the locals fault, or the govt, or the taxpayer, or the customers, or the family etc etc etc.

Perhaps a break would do him and the business some good.

I'm withdrawing from the thread but have reported to Mods. Third report in 20 years on boards.

You don't drink there but know his buddies are soaking up sob stories

Vouchers not honoured ?

Litany of civil and criminal cases ?

Gardai, Revenue

Your DMs alleged assault and harbouring a murderer, lads I'm out of here

that area has a great bus service - no bother to your daughter or any of his local staff/customers to go else where.. he said "he hopes that covid 19 would continue for another 10 yrs"???!!!! there are no words for that - drunk or not - thats when the truth comes out - sure, many in his position have taken the supports - but doesn't mean they wish that the pandemic would continue!!! I assume you have not suffered or not lost anyone as a result of covid - lucky you - so many have not been so fortunate! ...do you realllllly wanna drink in his place? or have your daughter work there? I'd rather sweep the streets.. I think you need to reexamine the situation with a much greater circumference of vision!

I've lost a close friend yes, boards used to be about respecting opinions. I respect yours

Please this is off topic, my fault

Anyone had lunch at Docklands

who said I didn't respect your opinion? - I am merely advising you to have a serious rethink!!! how you could drink in his place is unfathomable - esp when he is laughing behind your back essentially (as you too have suffered at the hands of Covid {RIP to your mate})... your on a super bus route if living near by..

I've been a customer for 24 years, and it's three minutes from my house, he's provided very well paid employment (way above market rate) to my kids and looked after them. He got pissed, he said some stupid stuff which I absolutely don't agree with but who here honestly hasnt done that. Hand on heart, I have.

I called in today to collect my daughter's wages which were ready as ever, there were 5 tables, multiple cancellations and more young staff sent home. This is Ballinlough, not city centre. 215 bus is ok but not for reliable city working. Plus I don't want my daughter in the city at 11pm waiting for a bus home.

My wife's business is on its knees because of covid, so yes I'm angry, but it's the staff that are suffering.

In a few months people will have forgotten and go back, but my daughter and others kids are losing because of the boycott.

I'm sorry, didn't mean to asignate that you didn't respect, just think there's a bigger picture and whilst I don't agree fully, I do respect. I got hit with rogue DMs not the first time, so apologise to anyone that feels I'm out of order.

Boards is about opinions, I'm human.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PreCocious

The Silver Key isn't all that far from me and I've always thought of it as a local pub very much for local people and not a place you'd go out of your way for.

So if there is a boycott surely it's by local people who've decided enough is enough (until such time as they decide the convenience of staying local trumps everything else ) ?

Advertisement