Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternatives to Eir who will increase plans by €6 a month

Options
  • 06-07-2021 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭

So Eir will be increasing their plans by €6 a month

https://www.eir.ie/p-update/

I'm thinking of the onebigswitch offer myself

€30 a month on a 12 month contract, €50 thereafter, €5 a month extra off for the first 4 months

https://onebigswitch.ie/offers/broadband

Wondering do we need to call the number in the Eir email or can vodafone take care of that for us... I'm thinking we will be on hold for a day and a half

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Go to https://siro.ie/ and stick in your eircode. That will show you providers in your area that can offer Siro broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

MarkR wrote: »
    Go to https://siro.ie/ and stick in your eircode. That will show you providers in your area that can offer Siro broadband.

Thanks, it's annoying now they've all gone down the "X for 12 months and Y thereafter" route that Eir went down

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Thanks, it's annoying now they've all gone down the "X for 12 months and Y thereafter" route that Eir went down

Its standard practice for all types of providers. You call them at month 11 to renegotiate/leave or just continue on and pay more due to sheer laziness

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭loki7777

I have a contract for 39,99 till end of year or so but also got this email with price increase but on eir www:

I have a discount applied to my account, will that remain?

If you are on a promotional offer the discount will be applied to your new monthly fee for the remainder of your promotional period.

So how to understand that part?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,216 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

The base price will increase by 6€ and your discount continues to apply, so it will cost you 6€ more in the end.

Right now, your charge are for example 67.98, broken down by eir Fibre 45.00 + eir Broadband Talk Off-Peak 2018 16.99 + Amazon Prime Video 5.99/

And then you get your discount 37.99 which is Direct Debit discount 2.00 + 10 Euro off for 12 months 10.00 + 20 Euro off for 12 months 20.00 + Amazon Prime Video included for 12 months 5.99

So, you actually pay 29.99.

With the price hike you will however pay eir Fibre 51.00 +16.99 +5.99 = 73.98 minus 37.99 discount

Making it 35.99 in future (or 6 € more than you currently pay which is 29.99).

At least that is how it should work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I am about 2 months into a 12 month contract with EIR and no way am I paying another €6 per month, I received the email and I am going to cancel and get out of contract, the problem is no body answers the phone, I am thinking to avail of the Vodafone one big switcher deal for €30/month. Should I notify EIR first, however no-one there answers any phone and I am never again having anything to do with EIR after several dealings with their appalling customer service, if Eir offered me the service for €5 per month I would tell them stuff it as their customer service is nothing but the worst and they must be on bonuses for every lie they tell. I was also charged €5.99 for Amazon prime which I don't use but was supposed to be free, again can't contact them to rectify the bill.

I’m finding Digiweb absolutely excellent. They don’t do tv but their broadband and phone is great and I’m finding the FritzBox router the best I’ve used - particularly when combined with Fritz mesh extenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭carveone

My parents' have been with Eir for decades. Currently have ADSL + all calls (with a effing 30GB cap!) for some outrageous price like 80 quid a month. I think/pray that this €6 extra will be the straw that breaks the camel's back and I'm pushing for Digiweb. Their ADSL works for them even though the upload speed is pants.

My issue is that they have a working system and aren't interested in changing anything. The existing phone line runs underground in conduit to under the stairs (into an old Bakelite box!). They don't care about fibre.

I believe "FTTC" means that a new copper line is run in the existing conduit (I bet it's full of mud) to an WAN (RJ45) + phone (RJ11) faceplate? Does this sound right? I've never seen an installation of one of these.

If nothing changes at all, it's basic ADSL. Digiweb seem to do this with an Unlimited call package to landlines and mobiles. At least that would be a) a fast installation and b) anything but Eir!

FTTC = Fibre to the Cabinet.

It's VDSL over copper wires i.e. your existing phone line, to a local street cabinet (not all the way to the exchange) and fibre from there to the network. That allows much higher speed than ADSL from the exchange.

FTTH = Fibre to the Home (Sometimes also called FTTP Fibre to the Premises) is a full fibre connection run directly into your house. This is much faster.

An FTTC installation is basically just a clean-up of your wiring.

They will send someone out to replace the first phone socket in the house with a new "NTU" which is just a phone socket with a filter. All your extension wiring is then hardwired to that filter. It just means they can eliminate noise created by your years of badly wired internal phone sockets and giving you a cleaner connection.

Other than that, there is no work done in your premises at all. They just use the existing phone line, which is spliced at a cabinet which contains the VDSL equipment.

With Digiweb, your phone service will be delivered by their VoIP service i.e. connection is to a socket on the back of the Fritzbox or you can directly connect DECT cordless phones to the box - it contains a base station. For all intents and purposes it works EXACTLY the same as an Eir landline. You'd notice no difference. If anything the call quality seems a lot better in my opinion.

If you order any FTTH or FTTC product, your phone line will be provided as VoBB (Voice over Broadband). The existing exchange-based digital phone network is being moved to VoIP at the moment, with the replacement of exchanges with MSANs (multi service access nodes) and will ultimately be switched off entirely as FTTH or FTTC penetration allows.

So, even if you order Eir FTTC services, you'll be offered VoIP anyway.

If FTTH (on OpenEir or Siro) is available it is far, far superior to anything else in terms of broadband speed, latency etc.

Thanks Convolved! I remember some situation where the NTU was connected to the router with CAT5, which would be mildly irksome. I'm inclined to check how their wire gets out to the road (there's a "P&T" plate outside) and then let DigiWeb get on with whatever they need to do to pull a new cable. The existing one is ancient anyway. A friend of mine had a new cable installed from the nearest pole so the installers are set up to do whatever's necessary.

What you are saying about connecting a DECT phone (which they have) makes a lot sense. And there is a difference - it's cheaper. I'll get on to them on Tuesday 😀

• Advertisement

There's no CAT 5 involved in FTTC. It's VDSL over an existing copper phone line, running from a near by street cabinet to your house.

They'll install an NTU, which is just a modern phone socket with a DSL filter and two sockets on the front.

They don't need to run new copper lines, unless there's some serious fault.

The VDSL modem/router plugs into the unfiltered socket and the other side is used for your existing phone, if you're still going to use a traditional phone service from exchange. Any extension wiring just connects to terminals on the back of the faceplate of the socket, so it's fully filtered.

With Digiweb, you'll just be using VoIP. You can plug your existing phone into the phone port on the router, which generates a dial tone and replicates a phone line. Or, you can pair your DECT handsets with the Fritzboz or buy FritzFon cordless handsets.

There's never any ethernet connection to the OpenEir copper network. It's still just a phone line, with a much faster version of DSL.

With a full fibre service - FTTH, it is completely optical. There's no copper phone line involved at all and they will by bring a fibre optic cable directly into the house.

The fibre optic line comes in and is terminated on a device called an ONT (optical termination unit) That is a small box, that sits usually on wall. It's powered, like a router and is connected to your ISP's router by ethernet cable. This service will offer speeds of a gigabit at the moment and is capable of a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Price increase doesn’t apply to FTTH customers according to the independent.

[Quote]However, the price rise will not impact customers on its new Gigabit Fibre Broadband and those on a bundle that includes the new fibre broadband offering.[/quote]

Do digiweb use the Eir lines? I had a man from vodafone out the other day but instead of installing he instead confirmed it was possible to install and set a new date for the 10th of August... Obviously this doesn't work as we have to cancel Eir before the 6th

Is there any provider I can move to now and have it switched over in the next few days

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭Call me Al

We got this change to our contract with them.

I called about cancelling and we've been offered a new contract at half price for 12 months.

We have added 2 mobiles and are changing e-vision to an apple tv box . Same broadband.

All in for around €78 per month I think, discounted to €68 for 6 months. We had been paying €136 and I'd just upgraded my mobile ewith them 6 months ago.

Quite happy with the price as we've not really had any issues with their service over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,216 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

If I swap from Eir to Vodafone on the FTTC will that lead to any downtime because they need to change something in the cabinet or is this as easy as me taking the Eir Modem and replacing it with the Vodafone Gigabox?

If you want to move you should have done it a few weeks ago, you need to say bye bye to Eir before the 6th of August and there's at least a 2 week wait for Vodafone/Siro to be installed

Only if he has a contract surely? My parents don't have a contract and they'll be saying bye bye as soon as I can talk them into it 😉

Yes sorry I should have pointed out

My above advice is only if you are in contract

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

'We're writing to let you know that from 1st September 2021 the price of your plan will increase by €6 a month.

What happens next?

We really value your custom and hope you’ll continue enjoying your eir package, however you can cancel your service without penalty by calling us on 1800 301 361 before 9th August 2021.'

I only noticed this after the date mentioned above. Am in my first year of contract which ends in november and it aint worth the extra 6 a month.

Can i still cancel now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I just renewed with them for 2 years.

500mbps ftth and 2 mobiles for 45 per month.

• Advertisement

Strictly speaking you have to wait until November although you could call them up and explain you've only seen this email now and they might let you cancel but they are under no obligation to do so

Worthy to note that Eir Sports 1 is closing in a few weeks time so they might offer this again in advance of that as Eir Sport is part of the contract

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭platinums

I mised the 30 days to cancel, now they want 240EUROs to cancel. Not Impressed. That email got buried.

https://www.eir.ie/complaints/forms/ use this , they got back to me in minutes.

Out of contract in January - best they could do now is 45min with off-peak calls. So next year i will be with Vodafone unless eir will call me back with normal offer(€45 including international calls).

I'm paying 45 a month including 500mb BB and 2 mobiles sim only and Amazon video for a year.

If you are in the city - i'm outside Sligo and there is max 60mbit/s so sky/vodafone or eir.

Advertisement