Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

There is no doubt that it is very upsetting to lose a home, but the cost cannot be defined nor confined to an emotional one, there must also be a practical, and financial consideration. There is no economic nor societal system which allows for non payment of mortgages to have no repercussions. To not have some method of recovery would just encourage all borrowers to renege on their commitments to the lender. Lenders, understandably, have to weigh benefit against risk, and that consideration, rightly, is a business rather than emotional consideration. So while you see only the emotion effects of repossession, you seem to ignore, or unable to understand the fiscal requirement for banks to recover an asset from a non paying customer. The business of lending and the responsibility of borrowers cannot be limited only to emotional consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 fine_12345

Hold on, I don’t disagree with you. Expect for about what my position is. I said

1. looking for some evidence more repossession would actual lowers interest rates, not just that it’s better for the bank cause reduced risk etc. Like would it actually lower interest rates all things considered.
    2. What if we consider the wider implications. The human cost of repossession should not be ignored particularly if you’re going to argue in favour of it. Is the cost of such a system worth it in the wider context?

I never argued that interest rates are absolutely not impacted by regulations around repossession. If it came across that way maybe I phrased it poorly. I find it bizarre how some people are framing my argument as emotional because I think considering other factors than just monetary benefit for some borrows to be important considerations. This framing is like me being called emotional cause I think we should consider it being maybe bad to nuke some weaker nations even if it might slow climate change for awhile. No one responding to me is really engaging with the debate. And now it’s devolved a bit into slight personal attacks on me being too emotional to discuss the topic with the big boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭wassie

If you had a couple of hundred thousand euro to lend out to someone to buy a house and they stopped repayments whilst continuing to live there, would you be ok with that?

Are you a large bank that can afford the loss? What is the lender’s circumstance in this imaginary scenario? Have you engaged with them on refinancing? Did you properly vet them before lending them money they could not afford to repay, or are we assuming they and a significant amount of borrowers in arrears can afford to repay and are just refusing?

I have no liking of banks and have experienced the pain of negative equity first hand and dealing with an incompetent lender.

But unfortunately in this country the protections afforded to those whom refuse to honor their legal obligations by deliberately not engaging with their lenders when they cant meet their commitments comes at a cost. That cost is simply passed on to the rest of us.

Again, I believe protection mechanisms are always needed to stop unscrupulous behavour by lenders in forcing repossessions. But to think you can stop paying a mortgage for years on end knowing full well the law allows you to continue enjoying the benefit of living in your house for free is bonkers.

• Advertisement

But that’s the system we have in place now. A lender must exhaust some clearly defined options with a borrower in arrears before they can start the repossession process. These options are overwhelming in the favour of the lender on paper, although if it goes to court it could go either way. The legal information is available on Citizen Information under Home repossession.

The lower interest rates argument is that it should be even easier for lenders to evict owners by removing/relaxing the protections in places intended to help those that genuinely need it currently.

A few might slip through the cracks for whatever reason, but if you just decide you don’t feel like paying what you can then the law is not in your favour. You can be taken to a court quite quickly, and when you lose you can be forced to pay the legal fees for both parties (unless I’m mistaken). If you genuinely cannot afford to pay then the process will probably be more drawn out and expensive for the lender.

If the person is allowed to stay in the house for 10 yrs without making a payment due to the onerous requirements necessary to recover the asset, I’d say the process is overwhelmingly in favour of the borrower. They get to live rent free for yrs.

A Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (CCPC) report from 2017 on the Irish mortgage market, p56:

The essential nature of a mortgage is that the loan is secured against an asset and is priced accordingly. The relative value of the security versus the loan also effects the price of the mortgage. This is clearly evident in lenders’ published schedules of rates for home loans with different loan-to-value ratios.

Correspondingly, if a lender is unable to access the security backing the mortgage this makes the loan a riskier prospect, affecting the interest rate the lender requires. Objectively, the scale of non-performing loans in Ireland is high relative to European peers and the number of loans in arrears over 720 days is also exceptionally high. Despite this, repossession rates are low.

Clearly there are restrictions on the ability of lenders to possess loan security in the event of default. As set out earlier, this results in higher loan prices/higher interest rates than would otherwise be the case.

This may be a few years old now, but it is still as relevant today to demonstrate 'the system' in place clearly comes at a cost as described above. More over, it is one of several barriers to new entrants that may consider entering the Irish mortgage market, a problem exacerbated by the confirmed withdrawal of KBC & Ulster Banks. Less competition rarely benefits consumers in the end.

Yes, that could be a problem.

As it is there are 5,416 mortgages in arrears longer than 10 years. Out of 728,071 mortgages in total. That’s 0.74% of all mortgages. Of that only 1,774 we’re held by banks (as defined by the central bank). Bringing the percentage down to 0.24%. Of the 10+ year cohort there are 40% of these that are regarded are having the borrower cooperating on the process (e.g through a restructured loan). I wasn’t sure if this 40% was included in the 5,416 or not. So assuming about 1,774 mortgages living rent free for 10+ years all things considered that will be decided in the courts or legal action hasn’t been taken for whatever reason. Just to put the whole thing in perspective with some figures.

The data can be seen on the central bank website at Residential Mortgage Arrears and Repossession Statistics March 2021.

For what it’s worth it looks like we’re possibly also well below the EU average for percentage of population in any mortgage arrears, see “One in ten Europeans in arrears with payments” on eurostat.

I’m struggling to find much concrete data on how the legal process of repossession works in other countries with lower interest rates, if anyone knows any sources.

Why I say it’s overwhelming in favour of lenders on paper is they are under no obligation to offer you any form of restructured loan, and can commence legal action to try repossess you home after eight months regardless of how cooperative the lender is in trying to work anything out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

What difference does it make if it is a Big Bank or some other lender? Either way it has an impact...the loss to a bank could be the difference with them having to cut costs (job losses) or not.

• Advertisement

edit: I thought you were replying to a different comment.

In that hypothetical situation where one individual personally loaned someone hundreds of thousands for them to buy a house, and they just refused to continue paying you back and refused to forfeit the house to you. Then I would not be okay with that, and I’d be shocked if you couldn’t win that legal case, largely recovering your loses (assuming the borrow can afford to pay) even though it may take you a bit of time and effort, and even though it was arguably your own fault not to route this borrower to a larger institution. A institution that perhaps even offsets any risk with slightly higher interest rates (😏), instead of taking on this immense personal risk yourself.

On the claim, again without evidence, that mortgage arrears which have always existed, are also gonna cause job loses at large banks. Yes maybe you’d have a point if mortgage arrears were a sudden new problem that lenders could not have foreseen. It’s not enough they’re primarily responsible for interest rate increases, it’s job loses too now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Well you're certainly not a self employed person that has had their mortgage application rejected.

Thanks! This is the first reasonable response. I never meant to deny interest rates wouldn’t be higher because/if there are relatively higher protections. But that I’m not convinced that removing those protections would then decrease the rates, I.e. the savings would be passed on to the customer. Or that the risk of protracted repossession is the biggest, or at least a significant reason our rates are relatively higher. I also argued at what cost removing protections would have?

I’m willing to concede here. I’m willing to concede it may be a significant, even the most significant factor in relatively higher rates here.

It’s not good for anyone for me to keep shouting at the wall. I hope you all get an interest rate that makes you happy and that you never fall into arrears.

I think it is fair to surmise that competition in the market is good for consumers, and that lack of competition is bad. Have you considered why lenders aren’t entering the Irish market, and why some big players have sold bad debts and left?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Because due to lack of repossession capability banks are very risk averse.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

banks tend to like profits yet despite the very high mortgage - loan interest rates here relative to other eurozone nations , foreign banks not only do not want to enter this market , they are heading for the gate

if that doesnt tell someone that lack of recourse to secure collateral is an obstacle , i think the person is blinded by ideology

I agree with your view that banks would not necessarily pass on the savings to the customers in the current environment. As Dav010 said, increased competition is the best remedy for cheaper mortgage products and that doesnt look like happening anytime soon.

Just another cog in Ireland's dysfunctional housing market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Possibly the same thing as has started to happen here. One big factor would be the splurging of the deposits saved during 2020 with the frenzied property buyers now satiated. The cash pile from lockdown is likely already spent or certainly not being increased anywhere near as much as it was. The affordability squeeze pre-covid is back once again.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/financial-services/household-deposits-down-on-last-year-as-spending-resumes-1.4634908

Net household savings in 2020 were €14.2bn, but that wasn't a staggeringly high figure as in 2019 and 2018 it was net €13.9bn and €12.4bn respectively.

https://www.cso.ie/en/csolatestnews/pressreleases/2020pressreleases/pressstatementinstitutionalsectoraccountsfinancialandnon-financial2019/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Marius34

"Net household savings in 2020 were €14.2bn, but that wasn't a staggeringly high figure as in 2019 and 2018 it was net €13.9bn and €12.4bn respectively."

Don't think it's true. Don't know from where those numbers are taken, but something messed up with a numbers here. 2020/2021 savings definitely are more significant comparing with 2018/2019

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Jmc25

It would stand to reason that prices should stop rising, or even drop towards their 2019/2020 levels as savings are depleted. It has to be savings driving things in the first time buyer market - incomes haven't risen by any significant amount to allow people to borrow more.

Coupled with some kind of increase in supply (any number of new homes now would be an increase on earlier this year) I would have to imagine that the current rate of increases can't keep going.

As some people have pointed out, there's signs internationally of prices moderating and declining slightly. This is absolutely not to say that people should wait until next year for some bargain prices, just that we may soon be over the worst of it from a buyers perspective.

That article from January 2021 provides "Irish household deposits in credit institutions reached an “historic high” of €125 billion at the end of 2020, increasing by €14.2 billion over the year, according to the Central Bank."

At September 2018, they were at €97.2bn.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/personal-finance/household-deposits-reach-new-high-of-97-2-billion-1.3728846

New Zealand's Reserve Bank considering tightening up LVRs and introducing debt-to-income (DTI) limits not unlike Ireland in a bid to curb house prices via mortgage controls. Link

Refreshing to see the Reserve Bank governor 'acknowledged that “one of these reasons” house prices were high was low interest rates'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

How much of that will be held by would-be homebuyers though?

Typically the highest earning households are those who already have a home - so theres no guarantee that all those savings will be going towards more houses. Certainly some will, such as savings owned by FTBers, but I'd say 1/2 easily of that savings increase would have went to existing homeowners.

Who knows what will happen...

• The Economic recovery that everyone is banking on may never materialize and we could see even more QE being undertaken in an effort to stimulate the economy and in the process lead to more investors competing for property driving prices higher.
    • The new houses that will come online may be priced higher due to an increase in building costs and may be snapped up by investors.

The UK Market has cooled down due to the withdrawal of the stamp duty breaks but is still 10%+ higher than a year ago.

The higher prices goes the less affordable housing becomes for first time buyers who are eventually locked out of buying and forced to rent which in turn provides a long term income opportunity for investors. For this reason alone I don't see a drop in house prices in the short term.

Deposits can only get people so far with mortgages; being restricted to 3.5/4.5 times borrowing is where the affordability ceiling is met (as it appeared to be met pre-covid with 2019 data). An extra €5-10k in the bank account for a couple to go to their deposit probably got obliterated by the house prices increasing during 2020 and 2021. I'm responding to the article which outlines that in the US the covid frenzy may have past its peak and applying it to Ireland noting the level of savings is no longer increasing anywhere near what it was during lockdown, which to me could indicate we are again seeing the mortgage lending restrictions taking hold, with the number of buyers with deposits having peaked as well.

The kite-flying has started for the Housing For All strategy, with this story in the IT yesterday. Given the total failure of the private sector to deliver sufficient housing to meet with demand, this is likely to be the first of several policies outlined in the Housing For All strategy for the State to take more of an involvement directly in the provision of housing. This is something which has been advocated for and is supported by SF, so I wonder if the best way to beat SF is to in fact just plagiarise their housing policy?

State to take half of increased value of land rezoned for housing

The Government is to compel property owners and developers to pay the State up to half of the increase in the value of land when it is rezoned for housing under radical moves to rein in speculation and cool the market.

The far-reaching measures from Minister for Housing Darragh O’Brien, to be unveiled within weeks, are part of a renewed effort to settle the housing crisis that is the Government’s top priority after the coronavirus pandemic.

The aim is to ensure the State makes a gain from the significant increase in the value of private land that arises from zoning and investment decisions by public authorities. Similar measures were proposed as far back as the early 1970s in the Kenny report, a landmark document on controlling property prices, but were never advanced.

“It is a transformative move,” said a senior Government source. “It means that private benefit will be shared with the State to pay for public goods such as infrastructure and social and affordable housing.”

This will curb constitutional property rights, an area that has perplexed policymakers for many years, but officials believe it can survive legal challenge.

“The preliminary legal advice from the Attorney General is that is constitutionally sound once it’s properly devised in underpinning legislation,” the source said.

I never claimed that the savings were held by would-be homebuyers I was just pointing out that there is still a significant amount of savings compared to pre-covid and that although the rate of savings has slowed somewhat it is is still nearly double what it was pre-covid.

• Advertisement

We will see in time whether the US housing market is past it's peak or not. I think what you are seeing there at the moment is that builders are not building because they can't guarantee that they will be able to sell at a profit. If this is the case then it will lead to a shortage in supply similar to what happened in Ireland which will keep houses prices elevated and drive people into the rental market which in turn will see investors buying the properties.

Personally I think a lot of FTB managed to save a lot more that 5k-10k during the year as a lot of them moved back in with parents thanks to being able to work from home and didn't have rent to pay. The saving on Rent alone would equate to 22-25k and that is before any additional savings such as transport, lunches etc... Childcare would be another 12k or more and If I was to guess I would say that many couples managed to save 40-50k during the past year. Obviously not every couple would have benefited to the this extend but I think that there are enough people out there and this combined with a lack of supply means that their are still buyers out their to sustain the prices.

If you take into account parents being able to save during the period and the lack of return that they would get in a bank or any investment means that they are far more likely to be able to help out. This also contributes and means that the LTI limits become less irrelevant to the lucky few who are in such a position.

Advertisement