Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Fair point. Still wouldn't affect my thinking on matters though because that's a matter for them. I'm fully vaccinated. Which is supposed to mean a high level of protection. And that's a high level of protection in all cases. Not just the same socially distant mask wearing situations that were deemed acceptable last year pre vaccine but also more crowded situations this year post vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The vaccines protect you - they give no guarantee that someone else (even if vaccinated) can't contract & spread covid.

If you're genuinely that concerned about getting covid even when vaccinated, dont go into a pub at all. It doesnt matter who is in there, vaccinated people could give you covid too you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,253 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I'm not belittling vaccine hesitancy far from it, where have I questioned what parents decide to do for their kids ? quite frankly that's nothing to do with your initial statement, you were asked you back up a statement you made, you can't back it up. It's a very simple request.

It's also not being rude, your just being asked as many other posters have before by other posters to provide a source for you claim, your unable to do so. It's as simple as that. Nothing more nothing less.

No I won't ignore because if you claim something without any shred of evidence behind it your going to be called out by someone on here, whoever it may be. Can you provide anything at all to back up this sentence that you posted ? You can't because there's no basis to the claim.

"Many of those young people queuing up have already had covid so taking a vaccine could harm them greatly."

I'll leave it there though because we're going around and around & you've no intention of backing up your view point with anything at all to back up the claim.

I agree, there isnt a mention of Third Level Education and there wasnt last year either, its all about the schools because of patents kicking up a fuss.

The Third Level union students have been very quiet which is worrying, are some happy to be on covid payments and doing a couple of lectures online a week.

I know Simon Harris announced something about antigen aka snake oil testing but my Third Level students have received no information as to whst happens in the Autumn.

I am not paying 3000 in fees and upwards of 15000 in college accomodation if my child is only attending college for one lecture a week just so Government can say colleges open.

Parents and students should collectively say we arent paying fees unless there is a committment that students get the full Third Level experience.

I have told my child to defer any place offered till next year if it looks like one day a week on campus. I am advising a move to another European country to learn a language and gain experience jobwise, much better for mental health than being isolated in a bedroom, thats headwrecking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

Yep. Once the politicians get back to "work" and the summer sports distractions end we'll be back to variants, vaccine-hesitant variant factories and lockdowns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You seem to be arguing that there's no point in having infection control measures once everyone has been offered vaccination. That's a perfectly arguable position, but the fact is that we do have legally required infection control measures that the hospitality industry has accepted, and some pubs apparently ignoring them completely is illegal and risks a legislative backlash on the whole industry.

I don't think this is a matter for the Gardai, it's an environmental health/workplace safety issue which should be dealt with the same as rat droppings in the kitchen or whatever other crap they normally have to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Unlike standard Health and Safety these are not likely to be rigidly enforced. Anecdotally it seems people are doing as required and these requirements will be dropped as soon as it's practicable.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

At the end of the day i fully respect anyone who makes a decision to get vaccinated or not to get vaccinated. What does annoy me however is posters who belittle those who make their own decision either way. Personally i took the vaccine as im moving into an age group that would see negative effects on one's health if contracting the virus.

Everyone is free to make their own mind up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

That’s the dependant on whether places are following guidelines - I was in city centre on Sunday evening and it was bedlam. I was in two bars (won’t be named) - neither of which checked for covid cert/passport and it was incredibly busy with zero covid guidelines being implemented.

Very much glass half full person but what I seen is absolutely shocking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

My point was about a poster feeling unsafe because they couldnt know who was being let into the pub - the response to that being that if you feel unsafe around unvaccinated people, you should also feel unsafe around vaccinated people - as either can contract and spread the virus. Legislative aspect is a whole other kettle of fish.

Vaccines works to protect you - if you still feel unsafe you shouldnt go out full stop, because segregated venues will not be enough to keep you from the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

All you can tell from that is that there were no checks, not that the vast majority were not allowed to be in there. At Christmas that would have been alarming but with over 70% fully vaccinated of far less concern now and we may hit 80% pretty soon. Bars will return to that scenario as soon as they can and there is a demand for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,253 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Seeing as your referring to me, I've not belittled anyone in response to that poster. Everyone can make their own mind up, parents make their decisions for their kids that aren't at the age of medical consent.

However, none of that is anything to do with the initial comment I was replying to and I think you know that. For some reason the replies to me went off on that tangent, why ? I don't know as I never referenced it(hesitancy). Mine was simply back up a statement with something, nothing more nothing less, very straightforward and reasonable request which they've no intention to give a straight answer to

Staines upbeat? He’s in the Indo today pushing for masks to continue well after Christmas and hopes that we change our culture to an Asian one where we constantly wear masks.

No agenda in play at all..

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

@timmyntc wrote

My point was about a poster feeling unsafe because they couldnt know who was being let into the pub

Ah right, which poster was that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Caquas

Now the U.S. has added us to their "do not travel" list. We have an open door now for Yanks who are vaccinated etc. but that's the end of any hope for American tourism this year.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/us/us-advises-against-travel-to-ireland-warning-of-rising-covid-19-cases-1.4637701

And we thought we were doing so well with our vaccinations and all. 😩

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

I know someone who had a celebration for their child's would have been communion day.

If the government issues guidelines and a week into reopening they are being openly broken than all of us will pay the price when restrictions end up getting tightened.

I understand people are vaccinated but it’s one step forward and two steps back with carry on I seen the weekend - if anything covid has thought us is to not take for granted what we have. Some people are selfish and will ultimately bring that down (especially in the pub sector by the sounds of it.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

On the other hand, at some stage we'll have to start moving away from the idea that restricting the virus in itself leads to some form of long-term gain and an ultimate lifting of restrictions.

It is probably fairly agreed at this stage that we're not going to eradicate the virus; it will always be there in some form in some part of the world. Therefore there is only one way to lift restrictions and get back to normal: immunity (either naturally acquired or through vaccines). There is no correlation between the current openness of countries and the extent to which they locked down in the past.

Once a reasonable degree of immunity and protection has been achieved, then a public education programme needs to be instituted to get people over their anxiety and back into the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

People who disregard the rules and then become ill can still prevent a return to lockdown by staying at home and saying nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,633 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Jaysus you sound like Holohan there after his infamous tweet about people out enjoying themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

No he's just talking some common sense, its only a matter of time till someone actually films one of the pubs letting customers in without checking the required info and the video hitting Twitter or Youtube and going viral. Next thing you know, either Holohan, Nolan or Reid will be making a statement criticising said establishments and before you know it, we'll be whisked back to Level 5.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

This is no surprise it was always going to happen. Publicans have never been known to be the most law abiding group so it doesn't come as any surprise that this is happening especially after being closed for the guts of 15 months.

Sorry but how is that an excuse? Maybe the government were right to keep them closed this long given the state of affairs now - If that persists it’s going to end badly.

Struggling to understand how you cannot grasp that idea tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Think about the absurdity of what you're suggesting here though. We should be worried about someone filming grown adults enjoying a night in a licensed premises and a few unelected health officials get to dictate what happens from there.

If people are fully vaccinated and want to enjoy themselves there's not much you can do about it. In fact, the government need to cop on and realise this as well.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭JRant

So on the one hand they're not the most law abiding but on the other hand they've remained mostly shut since March 2020. Something isn't adding up here.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Restricting business is not going to actually stop people from doing the things that they want to do. It might only remove potential locations and hurt the economy.

Shutting all of the pubs, restaurants and hotels simply won't stop people from meeting up. People will just meet up in different locations like houses etc. And we shoot ourselves in the foot as we continue to cripple our economy.

The majority of the country is vaccinated. I can't understand why people are hysterical about how busy town is etc. What do you think the endgame is?

I'm not excusing but this was what was always going to happening when dealing with Publicans, as I said they are not the most law abiding folks and if there are rules to bent they will do it. They are also one of the greediest trades out there and any chance to make a quick buck they will do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

• Advertisement

Another one of these types of posts like the person that said everyone complied with the lockdowns, it was only because if they had've opened the gardai would shut them down and prevent their licence from being renewed. Why do you insist on this sort of stuff? Do you think if the government asked them back in March 2020 to voluntarily shut their doors they would have? So stop trying to compare apples and oranges.

Advertisement