Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Most pubs did close voluntarily, and most were closed a week or more before the lockdown started on March 23rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭prunudo

You mention end game but we've actually come a long way since March 2020. Saw a comment on a friends fb timeline. They're in Australia and were sharing a photo of a lad wearing an anti mask, anti vaccine etc tshirt. Anyway most of the comments were tut tutting this individual, with one going so far as to say its okay they'll be dead next week. Thats the level of fear they are at in Australia now but thankfully we are a long way from those days.

It’s taken all of a week for the hospitality and pub sector to be centre of the blame game again. Whether people dislike Ireland’s drink and pub culture or not, it’s fairly disingenuous to use a pandemic to change or kill off that culture

It’s like the time George Lee blamed them on outbreaks when they weren’t even open.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Mecrab

Mate reckons vaccine cert will be needed to enter gyms/cinema/pools soon. How likely is that to happen for Ireland?

People are becoming absolutely hysterical. I welcome that pubs are busy. And that the Gardai are turning a blind eye. Cases are stable and it’s a sign that we should be opening more things up. Too many of us are still wanting to suppress or even eradicate Covid, when we should be thinking about pushing reopening and accepting that it will be with us for years. Ive been in the UK and the US for most of the last 3 months but I have to come back soon. And tbh I’m dreading coming back into a Covid focussed Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I would say very likely in a month when schools back and vaccination rates stall. etc.

I think NPHET and the Gov are going to try to mop up as many vaccine hesitant people as possible and this is a method that is both cost effective and legal.

But the main reason I think it’s going to happen is squarely down to how the population has accepted Covid certs for the most part. MM is no doubt hailing indoor dining as a huge success. We’re an obsequious people and the gov probably think there’s very little cost both financially and politically by rolling it out to other sectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

Once we get to 85/90% of adults vaccinated, and 70% of the population overall vaccinated (incl under 18s) I think I would be comfortable enough with a "Level 1" (remember that?) style opening up.

No restrictions on outdoor crowds. Social distancing of 1-2m on indoor crowds unless the entire audience has proven vaccination or tested negative. Masks on public transport.

I understand the fear that the restrictions will be imposed forever. I understand that they were initially only implemented with the proviso that it was "only until we could scale up the health service capacity to cope with the surge" etc etc. And I understand that people feel betrayed by that 15/16 months later.

The problem is, when all that "this is temporary, it is only until we can prepare the health service" meant something different in March 2020 than it does now. If you remember, the "prepare the health service" meant get Irish doctors and nurses home, cancel non-emergency procedures, train up ICU staff and get every qualified individual into the hospitals. Once they realised, around July/August last year, that Covid was not going to be eliminated and that we would get further waves, it became obvious that "prepare the health service" meant something different. Now, it is clear that - even in a society where 80% of the population is vaccinated - a very transmissible variant (such as Delta) will mean that we may have 50-60,000 infections at any one time, with hospitalisations being 1/2% of that.

So what does this mean for us right now, and on a permanent basis? Well, it means that we probably have to staff the equivalent of two or three new permanent covid hospitals - if we are to keep carrying out non-emergency procedures in the same way as we did before covid. Now, you can - with the right political will - build a hospital within a year. The problem isn't the physical beds and the roof, it's the staff. You cannot magic up hundreds of qualified consultants, doctors, and nurses. Even in 15 months. It takes 4 years to train a nurse, 7 years a doctor, 12 years a consultant. And I don't think we can poach them from abroad - every one is hanging on to their own qualifed medical workers for dear life.

So here we are - stuck between a rock and hard place. Vaccinations are part of the answer, but a fully opened economy will lead to Covid freely flowing through the population. Even with vaccinations we will get surges. Not ones that result in people dying in ambulances or doctors having to choose who gets the ICU bed, but surges that result in someone hysterectomy being cancelled for the fourth time, or back surgery being put back again for another six months. Not an acceptable situation to be in.

So then we're left with a choice. Either accept occasional reimpostions of restrictions, so that the health system can continue to operate, or accept that the health system will occasionally grind to a complete halt. I think most people would reluctantly accept the first option - but crucially only on the proviso that permanent expansions to the health system, i.e. the new hospitals, were in progress. I see no talk of that from our government.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

But the vaccines protect against the Delta variant, don't they?! As for increasing the numbers of healthcare professionals, the lifting of the HSE recruitment embargo last year and the return of some professionals from abroad have gone some way to increasing staff levels, haven't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Level 5 won't be back unless there is a game changing variant.

What you might see is hospitality vaccine passes extended to other sectors

When we get to that level of vaccinations we should have no restrictions, not some level 1 with social distancing. Life completely back to normal. Anything else is completely indefensible IMO. If not then, then when?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,633 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Is this the new campaign now to segregate society to extend this Covid pass crap to other sectors even though some of them like gyms have been open for a while now with no outbreaks that we have heard off. Removing the covid pass should the first item on the agenda when they come back to the Dail.

Why, who cares? It's not exactly a massive imposition is it?

Yes it is. You maybe ok with giving your rights away but I am sure there are many who are not. Maybe we should all wear badges to indicate the level of vaccination that we are at, you would love that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

The vaccines protect against the Delta in the same way as they protected against the original and Kent variants. 95% of people who have taken the vaccine will not suffer badly from covid if infected. That means 5% will. So put it this way - there are 5m people in Ireland. Lets say 85% of adults get vaccinated, and 50% of children. Now, I don't know how many active infections there might be in a country where there are no restrictions, but I expect that 10% being infected at any one time would not be unreasonable, especially if there is a low vaccine uptake in the under-18s, as they will keep the virus circulating.

15% of the adult population is 600k people. So that's how many would be unvaccinated. And 5% of vaccinated people is about 170k. So if you have the virus circulating freely amongst that population, approx 770,000 people. If 10% of that population get infected, that's about 77,000 active infections at any one time. How many of them would need hospitalisation? Hard to know, but I imagine it wouldn't be a stretch to 1-2,000 people needing hospital beds. That will grind the current system to a halt.

And this is all with a high uptake of a vaccine that has phenomenal virus protection. It's just that this thing is so bloody transmissable.

Yes, there were professionals that returned in March/April 2020, but it wasn't as many as you might believe. I think there were two half empty flights chartered home from Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

After the last 18 months or so nothing would surprise me in terms of lockdowns

It was always bound to happen they have been closed for the guts of 15 months they would agree to anything to be allowed open legally. Once they were open then they can flout the rules. Sure who is going to check for covid certs in a packed pub?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭User1998

Why would anyone voluntarily close their business that they have possibly worked on their entire lives? Why would you expect business owners to do that?

The government previously asked for take away pints to stop and they mostly stopped

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭firemansam4

I really can't see anything other than increased restrictions coming in when we approach the Christmas period again, regardless of what the vaccination rate may be by then.

The Health system in this country is going to be hitting a major crisis with the workload of cancelled procedures and operations due to the pandemic.

So we have that and then we have a possible bad flu season to contend with this year. So then throw into the mix a high covid infection rate due to the festive season, and even if hospitalizations and the death rate is much lower, it will still put the health service under massive pressure due to having to isolate covid patients in wards.

I know its not what people want to hear but I think anyone thinking that restrictions are done with are going to be very dissapointed comming into this winter. And that isn't even taking into account the possibility of worse variants emerging by then either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭Allinall

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I see lots of people with low-level PTSD after so long of lurching in and out of lockdowns, having trouble seeing any light at the end of the tunnel.

By the time the kids go back to school we'll be touching 70% of the entire population vaccinated, and the 12-15 year olds well underway with first doses.

This thing is effectively over for us provided that we hold the course over the next 4-6 weeks. The requirement for covid passes will not be expanded beyond indoor hospitality and will be dropped for that by Halloween.

Everything we see thus far maintains a cliff beyond 60% after which infections tend to drop off.

Even in the event of surges, we also now know that the vaccines provide comprehensive defence against serious illness. 10,000 cases/day is perfectly manageable if the number of resulting hospitalisations is low.

Ongoing control measures are ultimately pointless if the overall risk to the population is low. We are not going to eliminate covid, and that was never the goal. There will be no appetite nor justification for tighter restrictions without a step-change in the nature of the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭mcburns07

I can't believe this is where we've ended up. Depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

Restrictions that can and will be roundly ignored by anyone who is fully vaccinated. The Health "service" can sink or swim at that point, they've been given enough time and funding to increase capacity and avoid that very scenario.

The government need to start changing the narrative and highlighting to the public how terrible the consequences will be if we continue life with lockdowns/restrictions. What happens when the magic money tree disappears?

The consequences will be a lot worse than 170 people in hospital who may or may not be receiving treatment for Covid currently.

Indeed. I hope that this forum is not representative of the wider population because if so it is very depressing.

Because they were getting enormous amounts of money to stay closed.

€15k a week and this is how publicans repay society?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭Allinall

• Registered Users Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭User1998

If you don’t like the way pubs are being run you should probably just mind your own business and not go to pubs. Let the rest of us get on with life.

• Advertisement

Fairly sure I saw a tictok of some publican boasting about getting €15k a week and that he wished covid would last longer

Advertisement