Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First olympic transgender athlete to compete at Tokyo 2020 **MOD NOTE IN OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,855 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Yep she is not going to be near the medals. Good luck to her. The olympics allowed her in unfortunately she will only do wrong to some people

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Are you from the generation where everyone got a trophy for just showing up? All the athletes at the are trying to win but they realise they can't all win. I guarantee that they all went there dreaming of glory. Some no doubt, expect to win, others believe they can but even those rank outsiders would be dreaming and hoping that maybe, just maybe, the sports gods will smile on them. Everyone of them is trying to win. Just because there aren't enough medals for all of them doesn't mean they aren't going to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Looks like Hubbard is out of the competition.

"She won a silver medal at the 2017 World Championships before breaking her arm at the Commonwealth Games in Australia in 2018, but returned to win gold at the 2019 Pacific Games and qualified for her debut Olympics."

Second in the 2017 world championship. Hardly an outsider.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I am, because I think the phenomenon you’re referring to isn’t so much a generational thing as a cultural thing. It’s not an ideal I’ve ever bought into personally as I don’t believe participation is more important than winning, nor do I believe that winning is more important than participation. One thing I’ve certainly never believed in is the idea of sneering at anyone who has lost or failed or simply isn’t able to do what I can do.

I’ve seen other people do it and it’s always struck me as unsportsmanlike, I’ve seen other people complain when they lost that the competition was unfair, or that the winner was cheating or somehow had an competitive advantage. I’ve never had much time for sore losers either.

Different ideals motivate different people differently, so while I can certainly understand where you’re coming from in saying that they’re all going there for the glory, it’s not that different from what I said that there are athletes who want to make an appearance on the world stage. I can’t for example tell you what motivates any individual athlete any more than you can guarantee me that you can.

What we do know for certain is that if everyone had a God given right to win (as some people imagine is their right), and if that right were upheld in law by mere mortals, it would defeat the purpose of the idea of instilling in people that they are striving for an ideal greater than themselves.

Your ability to use so many words to say absolutely nothing always astounds me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

She is exceedingly far past her prime and didn't lift for over a decade during her prime years. She is the oldest ever competitor and took the sport back up at an age that would overwhelmingly likely see females too old to compete. That she was able to qualify at all under those circumstances highlights the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭AllForIt

If you read back OEJ has mentioned Chris Mosier several times.

I have been trying to for prolly the same reason you are asking, find out exactly what Mossier's achievements are against men in competitive sports. What I wanted to know for example is how many men competed in his sports Olympic trials and how many men did she 'beat'. Ditto for all his other competitive achievements.

Athletic achievements[edit]

Mosier made Team USA for the first time in sprint duathlon in 2015.[28] He made the long course duathlon team in 2016 at a race in Cary, North Carolina.[29] Mosier made his fourth Team USA team in long course duathlon in the 2017 National Championship, where he placed 2nd in his age group.[30]

In 2016, Mosier earned All-American honors in duathlon.[31]

In 2019, Mosier won two National Championships in Race Walking.[32]

In 2020, Mosier competed in the US Olympic Team Trials for the 50k Racewalk event; however, he was unable to finish the race due to injury.[33] As such, he became the first known transgender athlete to compete in the Olympic Trials in the gender with which they identify.[34]

https://www.outsports.com/2017/5/1/15503428/chris-mosier-trans-athlete-duathlon-team

Chris Mosier tore up the course at the U.S. Duathlon National Championship over the weekend in Cary, N.C. Mosier placed second in his 35-39 age group and finished 50th overall with a time of 02:40:27.

So 2nd in his age group, sounds great, but 50th overall. I do get that 35-39 is old in the sports world, retirement age actually. But I still don't know how many men were in his age group. 20 or 2 say.

Mosier was ranked No. 13 in the country in the duathlon in 2016 for men ages 35-39. The top 16 athletes in that age group earned All-American honors

So 13th place out of a total of 16 in his age group. I can't find any more info on "In 2019, Mosier won two National Championships in Race Walking". The wiki link is a dead end. All I see is many articles gushing about Mosier with almost all stating her achievements in terms of her age group, not her overall performance. The reason for that is pretty obvious.

I thought this whole story around Moseir and the Olympics a little curious. As mentioned her sport Dulathon (run,cycle,run), isn't very popular, thus not an Olympic sport. Therefore the number of people participating in it generally is less than average at least. Would he be competing at the top level if it were popular is the question, because there would be many more competitors in that sport - if it were popular.

So to participate in the Olympics he choose the 50K walk race instead as a newcomer to it. There is no equivalent 50K womens Olympic walk race, there's a 20K for women and men. So you can see how he may have gotten that injury. he pulled out in January 2020 for the 2020 summer Olympics which was cancelled. Did he not recover for 2021 or maybe once you withdraw that's it. It's also curious to me why didn't try for the triathlon, but that could be because he hadn't a hope in that one.

So maybe OEJ is right, some enter the Olympics for reasons other than to purely win. At best he would have been noted for being the first MTF Olympic competitor. On the other hand he was unlikely to have been anywhere near in with a chance for a medal. So it certainly looks like he wanted to be in the Olympics for the sake of it in a sport he just randomly chose - because of who he is. Not really sure if that's what the Olympics is about but there you go.

edti: Tommy Lundburg sports scientist just said on Sky news that a 10% male advantage is the case for some sports but other sports it's 40 to 50% and he agreed the IOC rules are not fit for purpose. Since race walking is more a test of endurance than muscle power that one is more likely in the 10% male advantage. I don't think we are ever going to have any data or so little it's worthless on MTF elite sports performance because there simply won't be trans men to make it in elite level in the first place.

DSDs are rare, but they have been found to be more common in female athletes than in women generally. A study1 involving athletes who took part in the 2011 IAAF World Championships in Daegu, South Korea, found that about 7 in 1,000 female competitors were 46,XY — a prevalence that is around 140 times higher than in the general population.

I don't know what more evidence one needs to show that women with higher level of T than average do better in sport when this says that prevalence of this DSD phenomenon in elite sports athletes is one hundred and forty times more prevalent than in the general population.

• Advertisement

It doesn't say their T levels are 140 times the average, it is saying the rate of DSD among certain athletes is 140 times the average rate.

Its not as simple as looking at levels of testosterone. There is very little correlation between T levels and athletic achievement within sexes but there is a massive disparity between sexes, though a lot of this is not just T but specifically when it was present (i.e. during puberty). Though extra testosterone generally will always help, which is why people dope with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

It's the fault of the rules more than it's Hubbard's fault although I'm far from a fan of Hubbard. The rules should forbid biological males from taking part in female competitions. The rules quite simply are fcuked up to allow this situation to happen.

Throwing in the privately-educated rich boy comment just makes you sound like a begrudger.

Sorry yes I understood that, I just made a mess of conveying the point in my post and corrected it immediately.

Post edited by AllForIt on

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

So much for transgender women will destroy women's sports as they will, apparently, automatically win. Turns out it takes skill, timing and expertise too if a person is going to win at elite level. Who knew...

I am looking forward, however, to seeing the massive increase in support for women's sports with all those suddenly passionate about it leading the lobbying for better funding, more exposure (and I'm not talking about the up the crack of yer arse shorts women are forced to wear), and most of all attendance at women's sporting events.

I expect every women's international rugby match to be packed from now on as ya'll can be certain all those playing are cis - and you naturally will translate that support into financial gain for the squad. They might even be able to turn semi-pro and not have to work to fund their playing.

Won't hold my breath though.

Well done for opening with a rebuttal of a point no one made.

As Ross Tucker puts it well - I could enter the Tour de France on an electric bike which would be self-evidently an unfair advantage, but I still wouldn't win. That Hubbard even qualified as a way past her prime lifter who had taken an extraordinarily long break from competitive lifting is evidence in and of itself of the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,534 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Hubbard looked very overweight considering it was the Olympics and took the place of someone who was training for years for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I'm sure you will at every women's sporting event going forward so they can show they have the support to be paid as professionals therefore no one will ever miss out on a place as they simply cannot afford the financial cost involved. Since you care so much.

It’s not saying that the rate of DSDs among certain athletes is 140 times the average rate either. It specifically refers to the prevalence of 46XY DSD among female athletes which is 140 times higher than expected in the general population. From the actual study -

Prevalence of hyperandrogenic 46 XY DSD in our athletic population is approximately 7 per 1000, which is 140 times higher than expected in the general population.

That’s more accurate and a significant difference between the implications of your suggestion, and what the actual data suggests. The data suggests that they are, in your terms ‘androgenised persons’, or ‘biological males’, etc, any reductive descriptor other than recognition that they are women.

The correlation was significant enough for the WA to introduce the policy it did in relation to female athletes with what are regarded as disorders of sex development competing in the female classification in order to address what they viewed as “recruitment bias”, enough for them to introduce the idea of ‘restricted events’, and it is this discrimination which Caster Semenya and athletes like her (most recently the two Namibian female athletes who failed to meet the criteria), are claiming is unfairly discriminatory against them -

Dr Stephane Bermon from the IAAF Medical and Science Department.

“We have seen in a decade and more of research that 7.1 in every 1000 elite female athletes in our sport have elevated testosterone levels, the majority are in the restricted events covered by these regulations. This is around 140 times what you will find in the general female population which demonstrates to us in statistical terms a recruitment bias. The treatment to reduce testosterone levels is a hormone supplement similar to the contraceptive pill taken by millions of women around the world. No athlete will be forced to undergo surgery. It is the athlete's responsibility, in close consultation with her medical team, to decide on her treatment.”

The evidence which the WA are relying on is not based upon scientific evidence, it’s based entirely upon finding and interpreting correlations in limited statistical data sets. They have a separate policy in relation to athletes who are transgender which is well worth a read for the way both policies are written, placing responsibility on the athletes themselves as opposed to acknowledging international human rights law which places obligations on organisations like the WA which prohibits unlawful discrimination and only permits discrimination in limited circumstances which is regarded as justifiable and reasonable only in limited circumstances to achieve a legitimate aim, as opposed to targeting any specific demographic for exclusion.

References:

Post edited by One eyed Jack on

The point being addressed has been consistently made throughout this thread and portrayed as a threat to women’s sports! On this occasion yet again the proclaimed threat to women’s sports has been found to be unsupported by evidence, and found to be without foundation. Basically, the threat never materialised, much to the dismay of some who desperately wanted it to be true.

Ross Tuckers point is stupid, and frankly I gave you more credit than using it as an example to demonstrate any sort of a legitimate argument. You can’t enter the Tour de France on an electric bike, nobody can. However if you want to maintain that piss poor analogy - ‘androgynised persons’ are being told they can only participate in the Tour de France if they’re willing to compete on a tricycle, notwithstanding the fact that even in cycling at an elite level, the myth persists that athletes with longer femurs have a ‘biological advantage’ in certain events as if that alone would justify the idea of excluding people with longer legs on that basis, as if the idea of just having longer legs gives athletes a competitive advantage in cycling.

Hubbards qualification is evidence of nothing, they were selected by the national committee in accordance with International Weightlifting Federation policy which governs the sport of weightlifting, and the IOC guidelines which are just that - guidelines. The IOC themselves have no control over the policies of the various Sports Federations policies in any given sport. It’s through qualifying in competitions recognised by the Federations and World Athletics that anyone qualifies to participate in the Olympics.

Tuckers claims are only analogous to Usain Bolt recently complaining that new technology in running shoes gives the athletes who wear them an unfair advantage, in spite of the lack of scientific evidence to support the idea -

• Registered Users Posts: 40,411 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

No more so than the other competitors in the same category. They don't call it the super heavyweight class for nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,345 ✭✭✭volchitsa

TBF maybe being 13 years older than any other female competitor ever in that sport didn't help.

The idea that because she didn't win there's no problem is laughable, frankly. Not to mention that she did so badly that you have to wonder why she was there at all - she didn't even try. The woman she displaced (Roviel Detenamo) would surely have made a genuine effort at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,269 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

KGs count, not regional medals.

The Pacific games is Australia, New Zealand, and other Oceanic Island. Not countries with elite weightlifters.

Her best lift ever was 285kg two years ago. The favourite came in with a PR of 335kg - 50kg more, a staggering gap. She never had a hope of winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

Ding ding ding. The fact that Hubbard qualified despite being so poor and making such a terrible effort very neatly highlights the issue, that the qualification came by a certain crude advantage. And thankfully, people seem to recognise that.

I mean, I was truly shocked at how bad Hubbard was. I really was not expecting that. I was expecting some effort at least. There was just no dignity in it. I think that's why it made such a splash yesterday.

To be fair, she was under a lot of various different pressures. Can't have been easy to compete to your best in that situation.

Yeah, she was never, ever going to win.

And yes, unfortunately, there are a lot of bad faith actors and generic arseholes waiting to pounce on the opportunity to just have a go at a trans person (I suspect many in the "she'll win it all" category are just that as they aren't renowned for their research). Many of the arguments seem to boil down to the fact that lots of people complaining don't support women's sports anyway. That is an argument utterly devoid of any logic and does not even remotely try to address the question at hand. "We should do the opposite of what these people think cause they're assholes" basically just means you are defining what you do by their choices.

Just because I’m not a fan of women’s weightlifting doesn’t mean that I don’t support women’s sports or that I shouldn’t be concerned that it’s so simple to literally muscle women out of their own places in the Olympics. I am very concerned about the developments that this competition has brought about and what it might mean for the future of women’s sports, which barely get the recognition they deserve at this point in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,269 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

In what was there no effort?

She made a strategic error imo. But saying there was no effort just sounds like you don’t get how it works tbh. Which is the case for a lot of people commenting tbh.

I. Am. Shocked. That. You. Would. Think. That.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭conorhal

You're wasting your time, the same folks would probably argue that an obese 50yr old that smokes 40 a day getting thrashed by 12yr olds in a school yard egg and spoon race constitutes definitive proof that adults should be allowed to compete against children.

There's no basic common sense any more, the evidence for which is this thread. In a sane world the IOC would have told the less than 1% of less 1% of the population that 'LOL, no. We're not rewriting the rules to accommodate the feeling of an infinitesimally tiny number of people. Deal with it!'.

Advertisement