Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef price tracker 2

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I don't know about that..... there looks to be plenty going on elsewhere on boards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭Dunedin

suppose it’ll be tomorrow before we hear a bit more. Would expect 4.25/4.30 for steers/heifers. Can’t see a rise coming but they continue to hold at that, it’ll be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Jb1989

But your trying, others have complained, just like usual, and are ignoring boards.ie at the moment. Their choice anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,904 ✭✭✭amacca

In fairness ...its awkward to navigate around

It feels like a backward step in terms of UI to me.....i could navigate to forums I liked to read with the dropdown menus ...wtf woukd you remove that

I could find all my posts under statistics in my profile...again why get rid of useful functionality like that

Feels like the UI wasn't tested at all.or boards sold a pup etc

Upgrades shouldn't be retrograde imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

The threads you opened are still there, scroll down to title "New Discussions" below, under the heading "My Discussions" you will find your posts

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Brought a double and single of a mix of p/o cows last week @ 3.85 flat.

Post edited by Base price on

You can navigate to the forums that you prefer by hitting the star symbol near the heading, it will change colour. When you click on your Avatar it will show options, click on the star icon, it will show which forums you selected as favourites, it seems to be limited to a max of 5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

I’ve an agent to get back to me tomorrow/Wednesday with a quote on a load non QA bullocks. I’ll post it here when I hear from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

I don’t think it’s as simple as that. Obviously from my post count I’m not the most regular visitor here anyway but I’m definitely here less since the upgrade. Apart from the horrendous layout on the mobile and how much harder it is to read with the new layout, it seems to be taking a lot more “power” for the phone to operate the site.

Excuse my ignorance because I know absolutely nothing about how websites work or the technology in the background but it seems my phone, a 3 year old iPhone, is not able to drive the new site like it used to the old. I just wait until I’m home at night and connected to WiFi to use it now because it’s outrageous slow otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,565 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

There is much more content in the pages there fore its much slower to load. Unless your coverage is excellent navigations is slow. As well when you load a page of a thread you always end up at the top of the page you have to scroll down to bottom. I think there is about double the posts per page so this takes time. If you navigated from the old software you were at the last post that you had read. Another issue is trying to get back to you posts with the mobile version you need to scroll back to top of page and hit the start to get you posts up. Previous you just hit the back button and my threads. Trying to use desktop version on a mobile is a disaster.

Everything is slower. I have found it easier to find stuff but it extremely slow to use. Even to edit a post when it opens it you have to scroll down to edit post. It just constant scrolling

Slava Ukrainii

If you select "farming & forestry" beneath the "leave a comment" box below, it will take you back to the home screen, and will act as a place marker the next time you select the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Holy Moses thats some price, fair place, there's no one getting the colour of that down here. Its great to see .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Yeah good money when you consider this week last year we got a base of 3.75 base for under 30 month bullocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Sold cattle in the mart yesterday €1,510 - 635 kg FR (he was a fair O Grade) sending his buddies to the factory this morning would guess heavier but not the shape probably O- / P+, I am getting €4.20 flat plus QA if they make it, but I think he has done better in the mark. The other cattle I had were LMx and AAx, got from €2.53 lw - €2.64 lw for them, so over all happy with them. I was saying this to the factory agent this morning as he was loading the Frs, he said he brought in 3 loads to the mart yesterday from lads who would always go to the factory and he has a double to collect out of it later on today for the factory, he was say the factories have to buy them in the mart as they aren't getting them into their yards. It was strange at the mart yesterday, there wasn't 20 buyers in the places but the auctioneer couldn't keep up with the bids that were coming in on line for the heavy cattle.

Huge difference in value of cattle that are O+/= compared to P. That Friesian would have made about 1430 in the factory grading O+ at a base of 4.25 in reality he was 28c/kg ahead of the base. Looking at a lot of mart pricing it not necessarily ahead of factory pricing from what I see over the last few weeks. However the amount of cattle going through the marts is definately slowing any concerted effort at a pull in prices IMO

A 630 kg LW AA or Hereford should kill 320-330 kgs with the AA hanging at the higher end. At a base of 3.25 they would come into 1400-1450 euro grading O+/=. I do not seem them making any more than that in the mart.

Thrive is gone out of places in last three weeks as grass growth slowed. On dryer farms there is no grass. Have blanket spread 20-25 units of N accross the farm. The rain this week will help but it will be 6-10 days before I have grass. Feeding one bunch bales in the field have plenty of them so not under pressure.

Slava Ukrainii

Its no harm. A chap here had ten fat blks to kill. He got no satisfaction from the factory at all and he was onto one of the main agents. He wanted a flat ish price in case he'd anything over fat. They went to gortatlea last Fri instead, the agent got some hop when he found out.

Great to get a good turn on them. Why not bring them all to the mart?

Yes Bass that is why I am moving on any near fit cattle, I can get them to around 630 -700 kgs at this time of year without any meal, but from now on the power would be gone out of the grass to put weight on cattle. Little AAx bullock I had yesterday weighed 620 kgs and made €1580 (Should grade an R-) and another AAx lad weighed 695 and made €1,760 - He had good cover and might just grade an R-.

As I said the usual gra for an attempt o pull prices is not there at present. Any lad with mid February 2019 cattle would be under pressure to move from now on. I have Friesians but they are short of flesh (2+FS but will only grade P+/O- at best) so there is no point in moving them. Some amount of factory fit cattle going through Gortnalea at present. Agents playing hard ball with local farmers with lower base quotes are seeing a good few of these going to the mart.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

Ah P / O- grade cattle will not make their value in the Mart any day. Even noticed yesterday very few heavy FR cattle in the mart yesterday. I do try and get the best I can, so I picking and mixing between the mart and the factory, trying to guess where I feel I will get on better. Been close to the mart in Carnaross is handy for me, I can tip in before hand to try and get a value for my stock by seeing what different types are making. But the problem with tipping in is I see things that I "think" are value so therefore I would have a cattle that are P grade and some that could potentially be U grade with anything in between..

I watched carnaross for a while yesterday and thought continental cattle round 700kg might have been better going to the factory.

Have a good share of them coming fit from next month on so it’s a decision I will have to make myself. Never went with fat cattle to the mart before.

Gortatlea bate all fri for fr blks. 30 months around 500kg all made 2 euro per kg. These wer too big for next year and too poor for this year unless your ration junkie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭kk.man

Feeding silage here also to one group of cattle. Definitely power gone from grass in the last 3 weeks.

Was chatting to a neighbour yesterday and he said he got 4.40 flat for u grade bullocks one was 40 months. He got that price last week I didn’t ask where it was.

Factory buyers are no fools so they aren't going to give much more than they are worth in the marts. What I seen with my own yesterday was they were getting up near their finish / factory price quick enough but then an extra €20 - €30 would come along slowly. That would never have came with the lads around d ring staring one another out of it two years ago. Then you have 5 - 10 minutes after they are sold to make up your mind which is good too. Anyone selling at the minute I would say sould look at both & then pick their cattle to suit each. That or get a factory agent who is willing to guarantee a price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭Dunedin

if the heavy rain that’s promised comes, it’ll tell a bit about whether the factories try to pull them. Often a wet wet week at this time could result in a 10 cent drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

Some lads get caught up in flat pricing. At 4.25 base a U- bullock is making 4.57 under 30 months, 4.45 from 30-36 months and 4.37 over 36 months.

I moved some over 36 month cattle myself and I just clarified that there was no deductions from the base for them compared to other years

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

They made an absolute mess of the new site.should have left it alone.

• Advertisement

Back ten cent next week in our town.

Advertisement