Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ROLL IT BACK

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

QFT. And that's before picking Vanilla as a company.

Our top priority is making sure that your community forum is up and running. Our SuccessTeam have helped launch hundreds of communities like yours. Your CSM will work with your team to get your community up and running quickly. If you are migrating from another platform, they will make that process painless and stress-free.

Painless and stress free yet apparently they don't work after hours or weekends and start a complex migration of a very large site with 20+ years behind it on a Thursday. An internet company. You could not make it up. I'd be willing to bet the slickest part of their outfit is the copy on their website and their sales team. Typical "American" flimflam. Always be closing. Get the sale, worry about the product after. You can bet it wasn't cheap either.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

But that doesn't really answer the question - has to pay for what? I know there's some costs, but how much exactly? Given there's lots of other forums out there quietly tipping away.

And as a commercial entity, it's even more bizarre that there was seemingly no analysis of the new product done (witness all the comments like "Yeah, we're still trying to work out how to get thanks, not likes"), and that no-one even seems to know how users use the site.

I know these things can sometimes go wrong - I was involved in an IT project that went very badly wrong (for a finance package, which is a really bad thing to go wrong). It can get very stressful - and in the end we got rid of and sued the guys putting the product in, rolled back to our old product temporarily and went looking for another plan. It's short-term pain for long-term gain, to descend into cliché. But it's far, far better than chugging ahead and pretending that everything's grand.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Adverts was what Daft wanted, not Boards. That was pretty obvious at the time. That was the earner. If I could search the site a fair few people noted it. They did try to monetise Boards to at least wipe its face, but over the years pushed it aside as it couldn't. Certainly not as a "corporate" type entity. Then outside influences like online ad revenue dropped off a cliff. As Cdeb said: Maybe trying to monetise it was the problem; that can be solved by not monetising it surely? Sadly I think keeping the "corporate" thinking and buying into a new and clearly not fit for purpose platform and outfit behind it has likely killed it. 😞 In its present form anyway.

Look Boards.ie had it's problems, but it was a 20 year community of thousands started on a bit of whim, but honed into something more, that was a force for good for many many people that built actual friendships, relationships, marriages and babies and reflected a lot of what was happening in Ireland and the world through its lens is bleeding out and we're watching it in slow motion. It really is sad to see.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭archfi

It appears to me whatever package boards bought from Vanilla included basic support, Mon-Fri 9-5? - hey, it's not my money being spent but when apparently the most minor of changes requires it be approved/implemented by Vanilla probably at a cost per PR therefore waiting ages to gather as many fixes as possible together, it means user experience means less than the bottom line. Which in turn is possibly costing boards content providers/viewers in the long term.

Surely, if the migration was at least partly Vanilla's fault (their blurb makes it sound so easy), boards should be pushing them to reduce costs to fix the glaring errors in every part of this site immediately? It's coming up to a month - I've never seen such a disastrous and bloody drawn out migration.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

It's like seeing a dog get a smack of a car, helplessly watching it slowly die but wanting someone to put it out of its misery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

How long before ‘Roll it back’ makes it onto the list of things that are deemed card worthy by the admin?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,485 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

there hasn't been a man on the moon in nearly 50 years

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Migrating to a cloud platform is a one way street, this ain't going back to the way it was.

Cost may have been the deciding factor to move it in the first place.

Maybe they had to move it to ensure we had something?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭Inviere

• Registered Users Posts: 13,561 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Ok so awhile ago, Boards said they had an option of a plan B reset if Vanilla couldn't work.

It clearly doesn't, and now with potential privacy breaches mentioned in the feedback thread, it's beyond time to review necessary measures for rolling it back - PLAN B please!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,596 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

heres a very pertinent review of vanilla only in sept of last year ...

"We use Vanilla's hosting service and I think it's probably fine if you don't have any particular need to change the way the forums work. It's serviceable. But if you need to make changes, the situation becomes far more complicated. Making changes requires submitting a PR to Vanilla so that it can be reviewed before deploying to the site. This is a reasonable requirement since it's there servers, but the PR process can be slow. Self-hosting is possible, but not all features are available unless you pay for Vanilla hosting. Consider your options carefully before committing to Vanilla Forums."

• Subscribers Posts: 41,596 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i wonder was "discourse" considered?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Too many big egos at Boards to even admit making a mistake, never mind roll it back. From the Mods to the Admins there is that palpable sense of "we are never wrong". Maybe this outcome is best for all concerned.

Where did you find that Syd? It certainly sounds about right going by this utter disaster.

Why Boards didn't go more local and more simple and ultimately cheaper is utterly beyond me. Archive all the "dead" forums and posts, which would cut out a lot of deadwood, but would also keep the searchable archive of 20 odd years, keep the "live" posts and forums and move them to a new VB type setup like xenForo or MyBB, pay for basic hosting, use trusted expert members from the community(the thread of "fixes" to this clusterfúck shows there are enough out there who know their stuff and are willing to help). That sort of thing.

As far as the mods and admins as far as this site change goes, you couldn't be more wrong, or you think mods and admins have far more say than they actually have. I can tell you they don't. This came from the Office, not the mods/admins.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭archfi

Reading a lot of reviews there that praise Vanilla - 'support is excellent', custom CSS options to allow branding/the way you want forum to work/stuff added quickly etc

That's leading me back to thinking the customer (boards) fcked this up big time, not Vanilla!

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭appledrop

I hope everyone on here has read the thread on email issues in feedback, about people's email addresses been visible on Google!

I'm not joking, I don't know how to put up the link for the thread but maybe someone else can.

While certainly I find that Mods just circle the wagons even when they must know that one of them is offside, I guess that's just what happens. As a Mod on another forum I fully get the "them and us" mentality when it comes to posters v mods/admin.

Suspect that Mods are as uninvolved in this process as we are though. I think the screw up is the latest manifestation of bad governance which extends into modding and admin issues, but it's not actually their fault.

• Advertisement

Teachinggal it's actually the other one boards.ie email issue July 2021 if you could put it up.

Thanks!

Thanks Leg End Reject.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Would only be glad to see it rolled back.. Barely on any more as I feel its not worth the time so I've migrated to other discussion forums which are 100 times more efficient and apparently active now-a-days.

Such a shame, Boards.ie has been a daily regular for so so many years. To see if fall like this is hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,033 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I don't know where all the subforum links went to overnight (except for Technology & Internet) but it's even harder to navigate the forums now than it already was.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Didn't Odhran say they had too many categories for the mighty Vanilla to deal with (optimised for 300, Boards has 1000 or something like that)

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭blue_blue

Christ.

Boards has turned into an absolute 𝒻𝓊𝒸𝓀𝒾𝓃ℊ shithole.

Vanilla must be the most incompetent forum software provider. Do they even work on large communities? Their client list is all lame sales / tech support.

Boards will be rolled back in the next few months. Mark my words.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,033 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

More likely BB that because the kitty is empty it'll just shut down.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Or be sold off for a reasonably modest sum to the next one in line to take up the boards legacy. While the migration has been a disaster that places the current commercial entity that runs boards in jeopardy, the asset itself still has some value, albeit rather a lot less than it did a few months ago.

Advertisement