Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sopranos....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

mloc123 wrote: »
    And I kinda hope it was another of Tonys stories he had embellished

I'm kinda hoping it was Dickie rather than Johnny Boy and Junior that got them off from this pity Robert Loggia is dead no one else could capture the deadpan droning of Feech

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

I am almost finished re watching The Sopranos. Would have loved to see a few more seasons but was hard to see what direction the show would have went if they had. Third time re watching it and have to say it is without doubt the best television series ever. Two things about it - firstly what are peoples thoughts on Tony? The reason why i ask is because i have re watched breaking bad (second best tv show) and IMO Walt comes across as a nasty piece of work when i re watched it. I cant say why exactly, when i originally watched it i was always routing for him and hoping that things would work out for him but the second time around i could seem the destruction and suffering he had caused other peoples by his actions. Maybe part of the reason why i didn't like Walt so much is because i am now older and have kids as opposed to been younger and having no kids when i originally watched it. However when i watch The Sopranos i though i would think the same but i don't, i find Tony a likeable kind of a person even though a lot of his actions are very selfish and he also causes a lot of harm. Has anyone ever though the same?

The second thing about The Sopranos is the ending which has been discussed here many times before and will always been controversial. To me I would have like a more definitive ending but at the same time i think it lets the viewer make up their own minds. For some people he lived on and for others he died - you get to decide. I do believe if Galdofini hadn't to have died in real life there would have been a new season (Dexter new season this year, rumours of a new Breaking Bad etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,708 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Yep it's still brilliant. I got 2 people in work to watch it for the first time this year, they agree its just so far ahead of pretty much everything else. A few come close and could be up there with it, but very few.

As for Tony, he's a brilliant, complex character which draws people to like him but make no mistake, he's nothing but evil and a prick to nearly everyone around him. Uses and abuses and bullies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Rewatched it recently and was amazed how much I had forgotten.

I'd forgotten all about Chris getting into movies and the Jon Favreau part.

Highlights on rewatch were Ralphie, and the Vito Spatafore closeted lifestyle (and the funny part when spotted in a club dressed up)

• The first 3 seasons are brilliant. Richie Aprille and Ralphie are two of my favorite antagonists ever

I do think the show takes a slight dip in the last two seasons. (I'm talking very slight here)

Brilliant writing, brilliant characters, with season 2 probably being the best.

Paulie is also one of the greatest characters ever, you got that?

• Advertisement

Agreed. I could have watched more of Paulie. Watching the episode at the minute where Paulie robs the Columbians and gets roughly $1million. He has to give half to Vito and then $100k to Carmela and there is then a shot of him cutting out supermarket vouchers from the newspaper.

where is it available...never watched it

I have it on my sky - not sure what package it is but i can watch it on demand

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Ladyinthedark

I love the sopranos and watch it everyday maybe three episodes or more before bed every night

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Re-watching it myself, I have 4 episodes left to go. Tony is a bigger jerk than I remembered but still a fantastic character, one of the best TV shows ever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,282 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Best TV series ever... loved the suspense and the excitement of rushing home from work to watch an episode, a new episode... have the box set somewhere but every episode is on Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

Great programme, although the dream sequences that lasted for entire episodes in the last season was just lazy, avant garde nonsense. There's one when Tony B goes after Phil, another when Tony is in a coma, it is absolute cack, nothing but filler material, I fast fwd any time I do a rewatch.

The last season or 2 have amazing real life parallels to the Hutch Kinahan feud. You have a guy who is from the smaller gang drawn into a drama of his relative's making (Tony B and Phil's brother) who is forced into a kill or be killed action against the other side that leads to a heavy blowback.

Tony didn't die. War with New York was over, so who had reason to kill him? The door opening was the Feds coming after him, the whole episode they were talking about how Carlo had turned state's evidence on him. It was a lazy ending to leave the door open for a return.

Tony is to this day in federal prison, lamenting the decline of society since his incarceration (Twitter, BLM, the whole trans thing. He thought the world was gone insane in the 2000's, I don't know how he would cope now)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 omagee2021

Without a shadow of a doubt THE greatest TV show of all time.

Without it, there would be no Breaking Bad.

I watched a YouTube video that explained that in the episode College where Tony finds the rat, HBO didn't want David Chase to portray Tony killing the guy in such a brutal fashion as it would make him too unlikeable and irredeemable.

If anybody's interested in that, let me know and I'll post the link. The guy makes good Sopranos-themed content on YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,541 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

post link

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭trashcan

Are we about to get into The Wire v The Sopranos for the nth time ? Oh well, in that case, the Wire has my vote, every single effing time. Best thing I’ve ever seen on screen, and I don’t expect anything to ever top it. Sopranos was good, but the Wire is just epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Magnificent series. One of the very best ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Durag

Fantastic series, will always prefer it to the wire as the wire isn't as rewatchable imo.

The last two seasons really elevate Sopranos imo. It moves from been an already fantastic gangster / family drama into something so much deeper and existential with its ponderings on life and its meaning. The whole Kevin Finnerty series to me were just so creative and out there and that, coupled with the ending leads to so many theories about its meaning, its use of symbolism and metaphors etc. No TV show comes close to its mix of creativity, humor and sheer entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Maybe he'd have ended up posting off topic on discussion boards like some old dinosaur who couldn't handle any kind of change in the world?

Chase referred to the closing sequence as "the death scene".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I found a great podcast to accompany the series

Watching sopranos

With the actor who played Christopher and the actor who played Bobby baccla. You find it on Spotify.

I was disappointed with the ending.

An arrest would have done me. Possibility of a trial. He could win or lose that.

• Advertisement

Chase is also a notorious wind up merchant who enjoys taking the piss out of fans who read into things too seriously. He came up with a ridiculous scenario for what happened to the forest Russian for that very reason.

It was basically, I'll leave it open in case I fancy coming back in five years with no ideas, but I'll do it all avant garde because the more prentious fans of the series will swallow it just like they swallowed those filler dream episodes I came up with when I fancied a day off.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 alz007

Re. my thoughts on Tony - On my 2nd or 3rd watch, I realise that I look past how he makes me laugh with his one liners and focus on how fundamentally he is a scumbag. It's the little things you might miss the first time, and come to the conclusion that he is only out for himself (Meadow & A.J. aside) and is a hypocrite. When he gambled away all the money for Vito's son, and then lied to Vito's wife(Carmela's friend) as if it was nothing. His quote to Richie & Jackie junior "those who want respect, give respect", is a bit rich the way he treats people. Janice is annoying but he goes out of his way to be cruel to her. Making Carmela look like like a fool on numerous occasions with his antics. What he did to Irina's man, way after he cut her loose. Didn't he make plans to move against his old friend Johnny Sac, like it was nothing? The measures he takes against Chris and that time when it looks like he is going to do away with Paulie, you are thinking, where is this guy's sense of loyalty? On first watch, I thought he was going to end up very alone with everyone turning against him. There are many more examples, but I personally found my respect for him diminishing the more I watched it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 alz007

Fantastic show tho, has to be said. Defo in my top 3. Was a bit of a break through at that time. All the characters are so well defined and I love rewatching it. Does anyone else ever get hungry after watching an episode of Sopranos? They are always pigging out.

Oh yeah, and the whole Ginny Sac joke and story arc around her is as funny af. 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

When you watch it back James Gandolfini goes from overweight to obese. He was potentially obese to morbid but in the early seasons he was what modern society would just consider a big guy but you can really see the change by the mid/late seasons and its unfortunately no surprise he died how he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,790 ✭✭✭billyhead

Italian food can be highly calorific. There's plenty of scenes Tony's pigging out in restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Rewatched recently. Someone mentioned above that Season 5 was weak and I agree with that. Too long and some odd episodes/scenarios that didn't fit the overall story. Like the episode where Tony had a gambling problem and had a huge falling out with Carmela. Where did that gambling problem come from, and then next episode it's all forgotten about, and he and Carmela are best friends again. Made no sense.

Also, as mentioned, I was far more conscious of how much of a scumbag Tony was on the second run through. But the character who I saw even more differently second time around was Paulie. Very entertaining but what a treacherous, untrustworthy, paranoid snake he was. Thoroughly dislikable person, too many examples to choose from, especially when it came to money.

But other than a few minor criticisms, a sensational show, second best ever. You know what's no. 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Johnrazz

To me the best episode in television history that I have seen. Perfect blend of drama and comedy, Paulies finest episode without doubt.

I'm dipping into a few season one episodes on Sky Atlantic. It's amazing how Tony changes from quite jovial to a sly, money obsessed little Hitler by the last season, as Chris says in one scene "you owe him a dollar you're a fuckin pariah".

There's a short storyline where Junior, who just became boss, hits Hesh up for 500K in protection money. Tony helps bargain it down to 250K, and Junior hands out 50K each to Tony and some other captains in goodwill. Tony goes to Hesh and gives him the 50K Junior gave him.

In season 7 Tony briefly considers murdering Hesh rather than paying him back a few quid he owes him, and proceeds to pay him back in drips and drabs.

He really does become more misanthropic as it goes on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 mbradso

This!! I thought i was only person who did this!! I have 24/7 sopranos channel n 5 nights a week i watch episode or 2!!!!!

Advertisement