Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Alternative News Channel "GB News" chaired by Andrew Neil launching - read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Or people they needed from day 1 and tried to cheap out on, hence the comical 'standards'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

It was already reported some weeks back that backroom staff had left. Also the resignation of their Director of Programing John McAndrew was significant as it was him who had personally persuaded many staff to leave the BBC and ITV to join GB News. When he jumped ship naturally all the people he had recruited suddenly felt the fear for their own careers and got out trying to limit the damage.

Its a bit like how when Russia Today started up they recruited a good few BBC and Al Jazeera journalists to lend the station an air of credibility. Just a few months later they were leaving in droves when they realised they could not criticise the Kremlin in any way. They knew if they stayed there they would never get a job in a serious news organisation again so they got out while they could still salvage their careers.

Id bet a similar thing is going on at GB News now. Their lurch to appeal to the far right will have employees thinking its either double down and stay there forever or get out now while you can. If they stay there and it goes under in 6 months then they'll never get a job in media again, any CV with GB News written on it will go straight into the bin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,974 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Their chief-draw presenter attacked the RNLI last week for rescuing migrants at risk of drowning in the English channel and reportedly claimed years ago that his initials stood for National Front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,203 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Farage, Widdecombe, Hoey etc would be regarded as far right in most countries in Europe (alongside Le Pen, Wilders, AfD, Orban etc). The Brexit guys think 'far right' refers only to extreme right groups like the EDL, Combat 18, the National Front, Britain First etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Well you have to remember

This is a poster who likened Marcus Rashford to Jimmy Saville after he heard the spectator were doing an article on Rashfords charity work (did that article ever see the light of day?)

He also claimed comedian Jim Davidson wasn't a woman beating racist even after proof was posted that Davidson is indeed a woman beating racist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,297 ✭✭✭✭Penn

They also suspended Guto Harri who exercised his free speech on air (something which is supposedly a core tenement of the station) in order to placate members of their audience who complained about it because the station wasn't leaning enough to the right.

I'm not saying they're fascists, but they clearly showed they're more willing to lean further to the right because that's where their audience is, even though they initially positioned themselves as being somewhat centrist (or more so just "anti-woke") and proponents of free speech.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Free speech is allowed on GB News once it supports the narrative they are trying to spin.

Taking the knee annoys their viewers...not allowed.

Neil Oliver's monologue about the hard fought freedoms won through WWII being eroded due to Covid...GB News gold.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

True but unlike GB News, I believe that it's important not to peddle falsehoods as facts.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Glad I saw this repugnant side of Oliver before I bought one of his books. I can safely add him to my boycott list.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 611 ✭✭✭maik3n

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The BARB website has updated showing data up to July 25th now.

GB News numbers are declining fairly precipitously despite the "Farage effect".

Week Ending July 11th - 3,684 rolling 4 week reach (in 000's) , with a 0.38 share and average daily minutes of 00:40 (40 seconds)

Week Ending July 25th - 2,613 4wk rolling reach , 0.26 share and average daily minutes dropping to 25 seconds...

That's a drop of about a third in terms of a rolling 4wk average over a period of 2 weeks which would suggest that the collapse in daily/weekly numbers is much higher than that.

By Comparison BBC News channel had the following

Week Ending July 11th - 12,557 rolling 4 week average , with a 1.2 share and average daily minutes of 2 minutes 5 seconds

Week Ending July 25th - 12,455 4wk rolling average , 1.3 share and average daily minutes of 2 minutes 10 seconds.

Based on the numbers reported for the Farage show it certainly appears that outside of his 1 hour show they have very very few viewers indeed.

If Farage is getting somewhere a bit North of 100k for his show 4 days a week , then he alone accounts for about 2/3rds of the entire viewership for the channel.

Not good at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,297 ✭✭✭✭Penn

But.... they're hiring for numerous positions.... How can that possibly be???

Well now I'm not sure whether to keep wailing and gnashing my teeth or not....

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Even if Farage were to sustain or grow his viewers they are still screwed unless they can get people watching the rest of the output.

In a 1 hour show they have what, 3 maybe 4 ad breaks?

So maybe 15 to 20 ad slots to sell that companies might be interested in, out of over 200 such slots each day.

Absolute horror show for revenue.

• Advertisement

But how many YouTube and Twitter hits have they had!?

I saw an article on Twitter last week suggesting that their internet platform figures were likely influenced by fake accounts.

I tried to find the story yesterday but couldn't. Didn't dig too deep though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭KildareP

It's no wonder its defenders are so keen to point to Youtube and Twitter views and hits.

67k views on the most recent Farage/Livingstone video after 18 hours might be an acceptable number alongside their BARB ratings for the live show. However if it had a similar average watch duration of 25 seconds then it doesn't sound quite so impressive anymore. Of course, we'll never know the average view duration since it's shown only to GB News.

Met a friend for lunch today in Liverpools Albert docks, The R.N.L.I had a stall out and Seeing as Farage is such a big fan of theirs I felt it only right to buy a small compass/bottle opener as a donation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

• Advertisement

Oh dear, I know at least one poster who won't be happy to hear this. Get set to be attacked for posting "fake news".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

The volunteer lifeboat service has received a 3,000% boost in donations since Farages criticism of the RNLI last week. Once again it seems the "silent majority" has been firmly put back in its box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I see nice good and sensible Deborah Meaden of Dragon Den fame is getting a lot of push back for her Neil Oliver twitter comment. I think I did mention the tactic of demonizing people on this thread earlier didn't I. If she were any way decent she might have instead said what she disagreed with so I or might have the first clue what she was on about if noting else.

https://twitter.com/JonathanPieNews/status/1422540613283614724

David Davis featuring on Talking Pints with Farage later this hour. Worth a watch. Davis is one of the better Conservative MPs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I see Deborah meaden got over 7k likes and seems that equates for far more likes than comments.

Silent majority strikes again......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I thought you weren't into social media and youtube stats. Nice defection from my main point btw.

Precisely what I noted; a complete evasion from what was obviously your main point.

And that point stands.

Deborah Meaden's comment is symptomatic of how many people today fail to interact with opposing views / people.

She's getting more kudos than push back.

.what's your point ? I thought you liked stats to back up your silence majority.

Key word being majority.... (Not)

It's not really though . Oliver's clever spam. He's using the war as a time when people had freedom and had free will .yet there was government enforced rations , black outs, travel . I mean it's complete bullshit to be frank. But it's this level of bullshit that people like yourself rely on the pretend life was better back when..when the simple fact is it's all made up nonsense. The whole point of it is to lie to people and tell them they are being victimised. Reality is they , and you have never had it so good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Out of curiosity, was the High King of Scotland going for the double with the Guinness Book of Records for 5 minute speech/monologue with the most WW2 references and the greatest use of tge word "Freedom". I think it's probably the most preposterously silliest speech I've ever heard and I sat through 100s of them during the "brexit wars." Honestly, if his speechwriter had handed him that, the great war veteran Mark Francois would have taken one look at it and said, no mate, I'm not reading that!

• Advertisement

Sigh, in todays edition of 'Accuse others of that which you are guilty' Eskimohunt bemoans the fact that Deborah Meaden fails to interact with people with opposing views (which he determined simply from the fact that she said she didn't like someone).

Some background to my point, Carol Cadwalladr is an award winning journalist who did trojan work on disclosing the shenanigans going on around Vote Leave, Cambridge Analytica, Facebook and many other organisations and individuals.

In response to her efforts, aside from winning awards for doing so; Andrew Neil, him of GB News, set his Twitter followers on her by referring to her as 'Crazy cat Lady' and various plays on the same theme.

And Nigel Farage, also of GB News refused to talk to her on his radio show.

Eskimohunt, do you even stop for a second and think about what you post and whether or not it is true or reflective of real life events before you click send?

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Having to pretend that these cranks and loons peddling their bollocks on this channel are decent people just putting a genuine viewpoint across like me or you is definitely an interesting and amusing notion.

If he's one of the better ones, I truly despair for the future of this country.

I would take Eskimohunt a bit more seriously if he actually acknowledged that his beloved Andrew Neil and Nigel Farage are equally as culpable in being nasty to people that they disagree with.

However he won't actually engage with anything that doesn't suit the spin he wants to put on his narrative. He will ignore posts and articles that disprove the nonsense that he spouts.

Case in point being the updated BARB figures and social media hits. He argued extensively about how the early figures showed the success of GB News. The latest figures and the possibility of an orchestrated social media campaign...no interest in any debate about it.

Perfectly describes everyone I've ever disagreed with on Boards! Not me though!

Is Andrew Neil a crank or a loon? What do you think he is "peddling" exactly?

Hard to decipher yet for me. But in fairness, it's an understandable issue, given he is on the fifth week of his holidays (with no sign of a return as of yet) after two weeks of broadcasting.

• Advertisement

He's definitely a crank given his attack of Cadwalladr for uncovering dubious practices around the whole Brexit topic. As a serious journalist, his attempts to undermine her work on that and the significance of what she was uncovering showed a serious case of letting personal views influence his public image.

What's he pedaling? Rule Brittania mentality probably.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Andrew Neil is someone who thought there was lots of money to be made telling certain types of individual what they wanted to hear. He has learnt the hard way that there aren't quite as many fools out there as he imagined, and so has abandoned ship at the earliest opportunity.

I'd say he's raging, a long journalistic career, most of it very respectable, reduced to working with dullards like Neil Oliver.

He's 72, lives in France. No vested interest in the whole farrago. This was a bet to nothing. He'll be fine

Aren't everyone in the the media doing the same thing though? Trying to make "lots of money to be made telling certain types of individual what they wanted to hear" is universal and doesn't strike me as odd or unusual.

This just sounds like the tired old "both sides" argument again. You can argue this to some degree but it's rare to see something so disingenuous, brazen, hypocritical and intellectually empty as GB News.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

While not doubting the last three words, he invested a lot of time, energy and a fair chunk of reputation in it. Ultimately, he looks like a bitter hypocrit who spent two weeks taking people how great Britain was or could be and then decided France was better anyway.

The difference is that GB News and other media is that GB goes not apart to actually BE making any money.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

Andrew Neil has also been taking time away from his Spectator TV weekly show.

Does that mean he's leaving The Spectator, too?

No, of course not. It's not that Andrew Neil is leaving GB News at all; it's more of a case that it's what you want to believe is happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,450 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

To be fair to Andrew Neil, his work may be more background than on-screen. As such, he may have put in massive effort in the lead-up to the launch, and then took a holiday while the broadcasting bedded in. Slightly odd decision, but you can sort of understand it too maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Has the Spectator released that Rashford article yet?

I don't believe so. Not sure how that answers my point, but I'm willing to at least answer your question.

No. Andrew Neil was the cover to those who pretended that this was going to be a news channel - a threat to the BBC and other media. I suspect he had very little to do other than be the face, do his bit, collect his cash, and be a retired 72 year old. His contacts meant that people like Rishi Sunak might appear on their channel - they are unlikely to come for an interview with Dan Wootton. The set up and launch would have been entrusted to others. He saw the level at which it was and said "I'm outta here". It might be until they tidy up their act, or it may be he has better things to do and writes it off. We'll see.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement