Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The Irish protocol.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,629 ✭✭✭✭downcow

that’s is so skewed. It’s incredible that you can’t see what you are saying.

us brits have been here for 1,000 years plus. Even at the shortist estimations we are here over 400 years.

explain to me, if we are not in our own country or we are not immigrants then what is there left to be?

you Irish to really talk romantic nonsense.

you go to England and you are immigrants that must be embraced. We go to Ireland and we must be sent home. Haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Why would British nationals be living along the Irish border or Derry city, if they think Britain is such a great place, why wouldn’t they be living there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

“Us Brits” ffs 😆😂

Is the OP schizophrenic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

"Us Brits"

I do feel your Donegal provenance, and I'm assuming its of and around St Johnston and Carrigans, is such that you feel "lesser" and this you have to try extra hard to show of your belligerent loyalty. It's rather sad how caught up you are in it.

---

Did you ever tell us what exactly you'd like to see the NI protocol changed to given it's so awful in its current form?

Haha. Just since you raise that

why on earth have all the catholic’s crowded onto that terrible occupied 6 counties ?

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'm taking it that you're now fine with the NIP given that it's been a while since you've posted in this thread about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,737 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Oh NO, not downcow's handy menagerie of 'friends' again!

People with 'funny accents' still get abuse in this country. I was just reading some people challenging Jamie Bryson about it today from Loyalists. Some in south still do it too, no connection to the 'RA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

"You irish"..... still in denial about the fact your Irish, or was growing up in an apartheid to strong to ever admit your Irish. How can you admit to living in a place for over a 500 years but still can't use the demonym of that place to refer to yourself as.

See this is the problem. You say us brits have been in Ireland for over 500 years so we are in are own country. That is the same as saying we have been in Ireland for 500 so we are now Irish. It is the refusal to admit you are Irish even when accepting your ancestors have been in Ireland for 500+ years is the problem to yourselves. You can only infer from the refusal to call yourself Irish despite living in Ireland for 500+ years that you see yourself as foreign to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

The country you live in is Ireland. The little bit of our country where you live was cleaved off to create a rotten sectarian enclave, it is not and never will be a 'country'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I can't believe this thread, everyone in Northern Ireland is Irish, they can be wanna be English all they want with their poxy marching band practice

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

At the start of the troubles, they were referred to a Anglo-Irish, Ulster Scots or just Ulstermen, not British. MPs from the island of Ireland were always referred to as Irish. James Craig was referred to as an Irishman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,737 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Ian Paisley, David Trimble both referred to themselves as Irish too.

Like 'Ulster Scots' it's a modern affection to insist on being called 'British. Probably as the inevitability of a UI grew.

You guys need to settle down and accept the facts.

I am British. The UN, EU, USA, SF, SDLP, IRA, all accept that, reinforced again in the Belfast Agreement.

my passport says I am British.

if I get in trouble abroad I call the British console because I am British

I use the British pound

i obey British laws

i elect people to the British parliament.

I live in a place that has been British for centuries

I live in a place where the majority want to remain British.

etc

etc

etc

I am also Northern Irish in the same way as people are welsh, Scottish, English, etc

you guys need to wake up and smell the coffee. Screaming it over and over again does not make me Irish. The very fact that I have the option to choose to become Irish should be a big clue to you. Do you guys in the south have the option to choose Irish citizenship - I wonder why not?

Ps if you are defining an Irishman as a man who lives on the island of Ireland, then I certainly meet that definition, but that would be a very strange definition.

maybe you care to clarify what your definition of an ‘Irishman’ is??

and then I’ll tell you if I meet the criteria

haha. I predict a few of our recent vocal posters will duck that question. That in itself will evidence who is talking facts here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭irelandrover

So for you the term British is perfectly good even tho you dont live in Britain but the term Irishman is strange even tho you live in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,641 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Well, living on the island of Ireland is not really enough, it itself, to make someone Irish. If it was, we'd have to say that, e.g., Jeremy Irons, who lives in Cork, is Irish, and he's quite definitely English, by birth, breeding, ancestry and identification.

Which points to a clue to the answer to the wider question. If downcow not only lives in Ireland, but also comes from a long line of people who were born and lived in Ireland, most people (who knew nothing of how he himself identifies) would say yeah, he's Irish; that's pretty much how national demonyms like "Irish", "English", "French", etc. are generally understood.

And if people were told that downcow identifies as (among other things) "Northern Irish" that would reinforce their initial conclusion, since anybody (or anything) that is northern Irish is necessarily Irish; northern Irish is a particular kind of Irish in the way that northern English is a particular kind of English.

But nothing is ever as simple as we might think it should be. Downcow in fact identifies as British and is part of a large community of people who so identify, even though they are Irish (in the sense just described). And this isn't a random or meaningless identification; it has deep cultural and historical roots and is significant not only to downcow and the other members of his community, but also to their neighbours who do not identify as British.

And, of course, his right to identify as British, and his right not to identify as Irish, is recognised and safeguarded by the Good Friday Agreement. And people in this thread — no names, no pack-drill — who on the one hand say that the NI Protocol must be upheld because it sustains the GFA, and on the other hand themselves undermine the GFA by calling into question the validity or legitimacy of what it has to say about national identification are, um, perhaps not being entirely consistent.

So rather than tell us what you feel is strange, why not take up the challenge of defining what makes a person Irish? Seems pretty black and white to many posters here so should not be too difficult to define ?

A great post and I concur with most of it.

just a few slight disagreements.

I have not decided to identify as British. I was British as of right at birth. I no more identify as British than MD Higgins identifies as Irish

also I am not ‘essentially Irish’. I will see a friend shortly who is South American, I will ask her if she is ‘essentially American’. I may be wrong but I guess she will say no, though I will update you with the answer honestly.

you also say I have a right not to identify as Irish That just feels a bit strange when you did not say that I have a right not to identify as french or northern English. Seems you regard me as a wee bit Irish :)

thanks for you post, it’s much appreciated, but it does demonstrate the prejudice within us all, when someone like you makes a very honest attempt at taking a non partisan position and yet it is riddled with some interesting prejudice. It’s just how we all are. But thanks again for the supportive post.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Whatcar212

Difference is, people from Scotland refer to themselves as Scottish, from England as English and from Wales as Welsh.

But for some reason the you refer to yourself as British and not Irish?

Even Ian Paisley referred to himself as Irish.

What is it you hate about Ireland so much that you refuse to acknowledge that you are Irish as well as British?

• Advertisement

Well, it may be nitpick, but I would say that Michael D Higgins identifies as Irish in exactly the same way that you identify as British. I'd say the same thing about myself, for what it's worth. I accept that in all three cases the identification is something inherited, not something we have independently constructed for ourselves, but, nevertheless, it's something we each accept and affirm. We could reject it or move on from it or develop it into something different, and in fact some people do. (For example, the identification "Northern Irish" is novel, relative to "Irish" and "British", and I think surveys show that the number of people who claim this identification, while small, is growing. Obviously it's not an identification which they all inherited.)

As for the bit about you being "essentially Irish", you may be confusing my post with another; I didn't use the term and, to be honest, I'm not sure I would know what it means.

I did say that anyone or anything Northern Irish is necessarily Irish; I meant is as a logical necessity; anyone or anything associated with the northern part of [place] is necessarily associated with [place]. Northern Ireland is so called because it is, in fact, in the northern part of Ireland, not because it lies north of Ireland. South America is so called because it is, in fact, the southern part of the Americas, not because it lies south of the Americas. Western Australia is so called because it is the western part of Australia, not because it lies west of Australia. You get the picture. Contrast Scotland, which lies north of England but is not called "northern England"; the USA, which is not called "northern Mexico"; and Norway, which is not called "western Sweden".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Someone born in Ireland is an irish(wo)man, someone born in England is an English(wo)man, someone born in the Netherlands is a Dutch(wo)man.

This to me is seperate to what you feel your identity is. You identify as British and that's fine. Someone born in Ireland to Polish parents could identify as Polish even tho they have never been in Poland.

I am northern Irish as well as British.

once I get a few definitions posted of the criteria for being ‘Irish’ I declare honestly to each one.

ireland is a country as well as an island. That’s what makes it more complex. Do you get that bit at least?

Apologies for misquoting the necessarily Irish. I’ll check that out with her and see if it irks at all. I honestly don’t know if it will

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Whatcar212

See I ask the question again, What do you hate about Ireland that you feel you must identify as Northern Irish rather than just Irish? Is there some sort of hate towards being Irish? Why? (you're entitled to feel the way you feel, I am asking why do you feel this way?)

I'd define Irish as people who were born on this island, as well as people who have direct links from their parents and grandparents if they want to be Irish.

My main point is what makes you feel you can't be both Irish and British?

If my great great grandparents moved to Spain, then my great grandparents, grandparents, parents and myself were all born and raised in Spain, would it make sense for me to be Irish only?

Hell my grandparents are Scottish and moved to Derry where my mother was born, she Identified as both Irish and British. I'm just struggling to understand what you hate about being called Irish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Does your passport not describe the country as Great Britain and Northern Ireland? Northern Ireland is not Britain so how d fook can you be British?

You don't have to hate Ireland in order to not identify as Irish; you just have to not feel that "Irish" is an identity that fits you. The leading global expert on whether downcow is Irish is downcow; if he says he's not Irish, well, you'd better pay attention. And while it might be interesting to explore with him why he doesn't identify as Irish, and why he does identify as British, it's not something he has any obligation to explore with you, if he's not minded to. So best to ask him nicely. Galloping in with an assumption that his reason for not identifying as Irish is a hatred of Ireland is probably not the best start.

So just to be clear, all those English/Scottish people who were born in army camps in Northern Ireland while their parents were on a tour of duty are now Irishmen?

and of course that means Eamon de Valera, James Collins, etc are not Irish even Yeats is an Englishman by your reckoning

an interesting definition

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Hell my grandparents are Scottish and moved to Derry where my mother was born, she Identified as both Irish and British. I'm just struggling to understand what you hate about being called Irish?

Given the above, I'd say downcow is Irish 😉

• Advertisement

The same passport will also describe him as a "British Citizen". "British" is the adjective which means, among other things, "pertaining to the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" - British citizen, the British government, the British army, the British ambassador.

Advertisement