Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Olympic Cycling events

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,416 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

There is talk that GB might go through because their rider got up and finished where as the Dane stormed off but I think the race was abandoned at that stage.

Its team pursuit and the Dane definitely caught him :)

Update: Denmark through to the final. Some English commentators can't seem to get their head round the fact this is team pursuit not time trial and it would be very unsporting to say anything other than Denmark had that won

Post edited by breezy1985 on

Did I hear that right, the German ladies took 6 seconds off the world record over the runs today???? Unreal and a well deserved gold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,071 ✭✭✭✭neris

Carlton trying his best through gritted teeth to big up a silver medal for the gb women

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

The BMX tracks are busy here, popular league in St Catherine's Park every week. Great for learning skills.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

was just reading the stickybottle article about josie knight. how often are you allowed change team nationality?

Not cycling but Olympic related, watching the womens 10km swim. Can safely say I'd drown attempting this within the first kilo. I thought cycling feed zones were tricky till I saw them hold bottles and feeds out on rods for them. Then the risk of getting kicked in the head or elbowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭harringtonp

"As a first-year junior rider, Knight won silver in the individual pursuit at the European Track Championships for Ireland and competed for Ireland as a junior at the World Road Championships in 2014.

She also represented Ireland at the elite European Road Championships in 2016. Knight won the elite Irish omnium title on the track in 2016 and also rode the World Track Championships that season as part of the team pursuit line-up.

She eventually went on to declare for Great Britain, through family connections though she was brought up in Kerry, having first approached the British set-up in 2017 to join it."

Not the typical national switch story (such as an English guy with an Irish parent or grandparent), wouldn't you love to know the reasons why

I remember it came up at the time and most agreed it was the right move for her.

• Advertisement

Sounds like she considered herself British to begin with but She probably also knew that funding and facilities would be way way better. We don't even have a modern velodrome so I don't blame her but she does come off a bit ungrateful to the crowd who would actually pick her when she was young

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

How can the Keirin be right without a lung full of 2 stroke exhaust - feckin' electric bikes 😁

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

Probably a similar story to Saskia Tidey in the 49er dinghy. Competed for Ireland in 2016, now competes for GBR. Much better facilities, support and funding available from TeamGBR.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my family friend who competed in the olympics was able to declare for both ireland and the UK; she declared for ireland, i can't remember what her reasons were. her sister, who swam at not quite olympic level, declared for the UK IIRC.

on that topic, i believe it's historical, but they really should rename themselves to Team UK rather than Team GB.

I believe that Saskia's partner in 2016 Andrea Brewster, was British but competed for Ireland. She retired so Saskia paired up with another British partner, but this time under team GB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Great to see the Brits being taken down a peg or two

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

officially its team GB&NI the uk does differ slightly as an entity

hmm wonder if this 4 year cycle thing has messed them up as they were always poor the year after the olympics, although they dont seem to be pulling the talent through and relying on senior squad members who dont seem to have it anymore.

or maybe it was just a once off generation.

i think they've been taken aback by how fast the german and danish. and the hope/lotus bikes dont seem to be any better than anyone elses track bikes

shoehorning it into the thread, but it is kinda related - what's the latest on the velodrome here? still as far away as it ever was?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

Saskia's original partner was Tiff Brien from Belfast, Andrea's original partner was Annalise Murphy's sister Claudine , halfway through the qualification for Rio both Tiff and Claudine gave up and Andrea and Saskia teamed up. Andrea competed for Ireland as she did not think she would get selected for Rio with GBR. Whereas Saskia left for GBR as Charlotte (her new helm) gave her a better chance of success, and there is a lot more funding and support to be had as part of TeamGBR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭Bambaata

That was one hell of a team persuit!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Oymyakon

That team pursuit final between italy and denmark was sensational - best I've ever seen. Ganna is a monster!

• Advertisement

The kids were wild with excitement here watching it. When I saw the last split I knew they were going to do it but thought Denmark had it before that.

I agree. It looks crap without the lads in the old timey gear who are old enough themselves to have raced against Merckx

The seemed to gain or lose about .8 every time came on or off the front it was unreal.

The bronze race was class as well. Every split had it move over and back

Sandymount residents objected to it so it’s being shelved.

Is there anything they don't object to.

Would it not be better off out in Abbottstown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,558 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

If Ineos were a country at the Olympics they'd be 20th in the medals table

Jumbo would be 30-something

where would they be if they cut down the swimming medals to something near a sane level?

i think if you're a swimmer and were able to compete in all events of 400m or less, you could (unless there are clashing timetables, which i guess is quite likely) enter 15 different events with the chance of a gold.

If they cut down the swimming events rte would have nothing to show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,654 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

My head hurts trying to figure all these cycling events out 😫

Who dreams up all this stuff???

There's a lot to be said for a start line, a finish line, and go as hard as you can between the two!

kinda like what those cork rowing lads said about their tactics a few years back...

• Advertisement

Mark Downey is not at the races at all today 😑

literally or figuratively?

19th after 3 events.

Figuratively but may as well be literally, just hanging off the back all day. Un jour sans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

From LaGazzetta dello Sport and in Italian, but brilliant infographics on yesterdays Team Pursuit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Where would you actually get a 63T chain ring? The local sawmill?

My knees are screaming at me at the thought of trying to get myself started in that gear without a significant push from someone 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Not sure who is commentating with Carlton on Eurosport... but I do enjoy how she just humours his inane ramblings.

The last few days I have been meaning to try start the bike in it's highest gear for the laugh but keep forgetting

• Advertisement

She is just to polite to embarrass him with 20 corrections a race

Jo Roswell, ex track cyclist. She's well used to Kirby, they cover a lot of track cycling together.

The power and speed they are getting on the track is something else. Id say back in the day long before tv & internet when track cycling was a big thing on the continent it would have been some event to go to with thousands of pissed belgians or italians inside a velodrome watching the biggest names in cycling doing circles

I went to the final day of London 6 and it was amazing and yes I got pissed.

Wasnt even that into track but was enthralled by the end

Women's Madison about to start.

Few crashes going on here, its a bit like a demolition derby

• Advertisement

God almighty, I thought yesterday's races were nuts 😱

I can't believe they don't wear body armour!!!

Have we a new fan? @HeidiHeidi ?😄

My 8 year old keenly observed why are they not elbow tapping instead of hand tagging cause of covid

If it didn't give me a monstrous headache trying to figure out what on earth is happening, we just might!!

This is what I love about the Olympics, all these mad sports that I'd never even know about, and I've just about got into them when it's all over - 4 years later rinse and repeat 🤣

You can't fling your partner forward with an elbow bump!!

Good on your 8 yr old all the same though!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement