Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone had or been to a foreign Wedding?

• 03-08-2021 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi all,

Any help or advice from those who have had or have been to a foreign wedding would be greatly appreciated.

My fiancee and I are getting married in Mallorca in October. We have the venue, church, food etc all sorted. We're now at the point of where guests are booking flights and accommodation, and here is the tricky part.

The venue and church are 25 minutes outside Palma so we have 2 buses organised to collect people and bring them home after. What we're wondering is where is the best place to advise our guests to stay? Palma is a beautiful city and there's lots of options but would it be too hectic for everyone? Or would it be better to advise people to stay in one of the resorts close by like Portals Nous?

It may sound like such a small and insignificant query but we really want our guests to have a great time. For some the city might be too hectic and for others the resorts might be a bit out of the way and boring. But we're afraid having everyone split up will take away from it too

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭John_Mc

We had our wedding in France in 2016. We had a wedding website where we put a list of nearby accommodation with a classification of standard (luxury, budget etc). Your guests will naturally form into groups as they will know each other and they'll choose the place that suits them best.

Don't stress yourself about where they stay - just ensure that they know the bus will only travel X kilometres from the venue so if they go outside that, they'll need to arrange their own way home.

I'd definitely recommend a website where you can outline all the important info. I will PM you the address to mine now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

My friend got married in a resort in mexico and friends and family who travelled their stayed in the resort.

He asked a local travel agent in ireland to arrange flights and accommodation as a package deal for anyone who wanted. Some went with the travel agent for convenience and others made their own way and saved money.

Basically they hinted the week when ppl should arrive, and also that they were going to stay on an extra week as a honeymoon. So everyone arrived within a few days, stayed approx a week, and then left the newlyweds to it... Obviously mallorca is a short hop and many guests will only stay a few days.

I'd recommend you do similar..turf the work out to a reputable, high street travel agent and a half-decent but no-too-expensive hotel (perhaps the one you're staying at).. you could even move to a fancier hotel (away from family and friends who stay on an extra few days!) if you're having your honeymoon there too.

As for city v resorts.... I'd say get a nice hotel that has a few bars and decent facilities, but not in a noisy area. Hotel food and drink tends to be expensive though, and you do want your guests to have the option of using cheaper accommodation too...ask travel agent for recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 saoirse88

Thank you so much John...I really like how you outlined each hotel/villa and the price and distance to the venue.

How did you find everyone not being in the same place? We went to one wedding abroad 2 years ago and we were all in the same little town which was ideal. Mallorca doesn't really have that unless you go 40-50 mins from airport which is hassle for the guests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭John_Mc

The chateau were had the wedding at had 19 rooms so about 40 people were able to stay onsite. I can't be sure about the other guests but they all grouped off to stay in the same place naturally and they assure me they had a great time.

We had a 2 day affair so all of the guests were all together for the most part anyway and it was great. We couldn't have asked for more to be honest.

The above suggestion for getting a travel agent to put together a package is a good one too. All you can do is make some suggestions to your guests and they can choose whether to go their own way or not.

Advertisement