Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lions Tour

Comments

Between the 2 horrifically ugly stop-start matches and the farce and fallout created by the Erasmus video (second test decisions - were they affected - can't know, won't know etc) this Lions "tour" has been a disaster.

At this point I feel that it's dammed and tainted beyond all redemption.

And then the highly dubious end of the third test in New Zealand that "ended up" in a draw.

Because it normally makes money (pulled Australian rugby out of a financial hole in 2013 even tho they are likely more fooked now) for both the host nation and the union there have been desperate hopes and attempts to keep it relevant.

But after this shambles and two of the ugliest consecutive matches seen on the international stage (certainly in terms of big consecutive matches) I just don't know....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

his handling was fairly poor (knocks ons as mentioned) and he was fairly average against USA imo in a game i thought he would dominate. on the other hand he was out of position in that game and feeling his way back in from injury so i wouldnt exactly be throwing him on the scrap heap yet. on the other hand, for some of the hype he gets at times i thought they were fairly okay performances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

If you don't appreciate the change in Ireland's fortunes during the Gatland era, then you weren't around during the mid-90s. We went from absolute whipping boys to genuine 6N contenders in the space of three years under his watch.

Serious saltiness just because he's dropped a few Irish guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

People have not rated Gatland for years. I think you're attributing motive without much cause there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Well, he's been dropping Ireland guys from the Lions for years too... and he's made some sarky comments in the lead-up to various 6N games too. I understand if people don't like him but denying his achievements as a coach is not fair.

Like, in your list of his honours above, you didn't mention the drawn Lions series in NZ. Literally did not mention it. It was a great achievement, given that absolutely no-one gave the Lions any hope prior to the tour.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

The other thing worth mentioning when comparing Wales v Ireland / Gatland v Schmidt is that Gatland achieved his successes at a time when the Regions were performing at a level below the Provinces, which flies in the face of the "success breeds success" adage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Lions kicking stats a little bit lower than I thought, this series

Kicks from hand are 28 and 23, respectively.

For comparison, Lions kicking from hand stats in 2017: 19, 21, 23

And further context, Boks have kicked from hand 37 and 35 times in the two tests this series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

If you include RWC progression, Gatland is better than Schmidt.

if you include Top 14 titles won as assistant coach then he is back out in front

Gatland also played with a fairly significant handicap, dealing with the WRU for so many years.

you seem to be the only person fixated on dropped players

a draw is never a good result

Correct. A drawn series in NZ was not a good result. It was an incredible result.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

For context, NZ had won 38 consecutive Tests in Eden Park dating back to 1994 going into that final drawn Test.

The murmurings of Schmidt v Gatland have me thinking. As a head coach of a national side, with time to build a playing style, rebuild new cohorts, etc., I'd prefer Gatland.

But for the Lions, where a coach needs to come in and quickly whip a fractious group into shape, probably requiring a fairly basic but effective playing style, I reckon I'd go for Schmidt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Id be the exact opposite because it was always claimed it takes time to learn Schmidt's systems. Gatland's systems seem easier to play when you aren't used to the manager/players around you.

Schmidt's seemed a lot more detailed and players drilled in what they need to be doing.

Poissibly true. But he'd also have the best players from 4 nations to choose from, and could weight selections a bit toward players who already know the ropes. Plus the warm-up matches.

It was a very good lions squad but only a reasonable NZ one really

given they had lost to Ireland and failed to win the WC

• Advertisement

i would go the opposite to you also, gatand simple, schimidt complex long game

which is why Gatland as lions coach has been a bit of a failure, this time the most, its like there's no style of play or cohesion

theres always a bit of seat of the pants to Lions tours of the cuff, but that has totally been removed this time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

I don't think a Lions tour would suit Smith's coaching style at all. There's so much that you can't plan for. I think the pressure and lack of preparation time between Tests would get to him. His micro-management style is great if there's time to plan and you don't have to make late unexpected changes. But it's not adaptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Haha, Gatland as Lions coach a bit of a failure. Good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Wayne Smith? Was he ever considered an option for the Lions job? I know England were throwing money at him a few years ago but he turned them down.

I stuck with trophies initially as someone else mentioned trophies. Fine, I probably should have included the drawn series in NZ when I mentioned stuff like the RWCs, but does that really change the substantive point much, if at all. The guy has strengths and weaknesses. He's done some great things and had some pretty average days too. The bizarre thing about Gatland is that he polarises people into talking about either how great he is or how awful he is, with both completely ignoring facts that don't suit their agenda. I've no idea why he does and why people can't recognise things like how good his Welsh sides had been against NH opposition at times but how he was never really able to replicate that against SH opposition at all. I'm not saying he is terrible by any means. Just that he has done really well some times and not great others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Call spade a spade though, if you are honest about it gatland got very lucky with the lions. Played most likely the worst Aus and NZ teams ever? Corbisiero won him the 3rd test against Aus because up to that point he insisted on playing the Welsh lads...and most may not like to admit that call in the 3rd test against Nz was also bullshit - if BB could have hit the side of barn the game would have been out of sight.

And now this year - the tests have been an absolute farce, gatland picked a team to play once way, then decides to play another. He had COVID in his favor and can't even fire a shot.

I'd agree with Gatland being the right kind of guy for the Lions, far more than Schmidt. Gatland has a real ability to galvanise a side in ways few other coaches can. Schmidt is a detail guy and he wouldn't really have the time to pull that all together on a tour like this. In the modern game, trying to pull a squad together from different countries in a short period to play a quality, settled team that are one of, if not the best in the world is beyond difficult. Gatland can do it so that squad is competitive. I'm not sure who else could.

I see the NZ team of 2017 was apparently the worst ever.

The reigning world champions, who had won 47 consecutive home test matches before the Lions beat them.

Riiiight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Very good team but they had peaked a few years earlier. I’m not sure you can argue with that. Was a very good Lions squad too compared to this tour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Schmidt's ability to craft attacking plays is streets ahead of Gatland, and something that I think would be particularly suited to the Lions. Gatland is an amazing motivator, he consistently had his teams playing with an intensity and motivation in big games that puts Ireland to shame. See every WC ever.

"Corbisiero won him the 3rd test against Aus because up to that point he insisted on playing the Welsh lads"

Corbisiero started the first and third tests. He missed the second through injury.

So the guy that Gatland picked helped the team to win. And this makes him a bad coach because...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Why do you choose to leave out the context of that draw?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I completely understand why Gatland is disliked by many in Irish rugby. He has mellowed with age (and possibly a little more humility after the Chiefs debacle of a season) but certainly was antagonistic and inflammatory towards his opponents. I think most people harbour bitterness towards him based on his selections however. There's a bizarre belief that it's personal even when there's a genuine logic at play for his omission of specific players. Henderson, BOD and now Beirne are players who didn't get selected at key moments and Irish fans refuse to accept the rationale for looking to other players.

However, I will never get the insistence from some to try and undermine his achievements and successes. Did he knock it out of the park every season? Absolutely not. In fact, if an Irish coach had some of his seasons, he'd have been sacked. For example, they won the GS in 2008 but finished 4th for the next 3 seasons. They also only beat Australia once and Argentina once from top tier opposition in those 3 years of autumn tests (which included only drawing with Fiji in Cardiff).

But that doesn't mean Wales didn't deliver to an incredibly high level under his guidance at key times also. His ability to motivate his teams and get key selections/calls right on the biggest stage is exceptional. He brought Wales to 2 RWC semi finals and they were 4 minutes away from another in 2015 against South Africa. He brought a Lions team close to a series win in NZ. NZ have only failed to beat the Lions on 11 of 41 occasions in history and 2 of those 11 were against Gatland. It doesn't matter if there was a dubious call in the last minute of the game to secure the draw. The fact is that they did. There are dodgy calls in plenty of games. He brought Wasps from having finished 7th the previous season to being champions three times in a row as well as European champions.

People can call him lucky, boring, whatever they want. The statistics and trophy cabinets are going to utlimately reflect his career more than anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Let’s face it…. If it wasn’t for a baffling decision from Poite in the last minute of the third test that series would have been lost!

Even in the 2nd test NZ had the ascendency until the red card and it still look a Farrell pen at the death to snatch victory, it was a lucky draw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭Madeoface

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Win on Saturday and Gatland will likely go down as the greatest ever Lions coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

There's not an achievement in rugby where luck hasn't played some part.

If you're happy to dismiss the Lions achievement in 2017 I hope you're as happy to chalk off all the other ones

I for one think the likes of Eddie Jones and Gatland play the media game effectively, look at Rassie, played a blinder last week, all the rugby nerds could talk about was him.

The schtick is fairly transparent but effective it seems.

I also admire those that play it straight

Dont care what nationality he picks if he doesn't pick a pudding

Statistically I think he is poor but has been good in patches, while the IRFU has played it better than the WRU over the last 20 at club leve, they have produced a lot of quality players at least on par with here ( similar numbers playing the game) and far better than scotland (less people playing)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I didn’t dismiss or it say anywhere that it wasn’t an achievement. But there is a difference in celebrating a hard fought series and lauding the greatness of a result that needed a lot of luck along the way!

Anyway it was in response to someone saying the draw was incredible, I was giving my opinion of the swing and roundabouts involved for it to play out that way!

Doesn’t mean I think Gats is a bad coach, I think he’s one of the all time greats! Saturday will be a battering tho unless we try and play ball! If The Lions win… it’ll be Sir Warren come the new year I think!

not sure a terrible refereeing performance would be considered luck

I mean the 2011 WC final were France unlucky? No they were robbed by a ref who couldn't handle the pressure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Gatland is a better coach than Schmidt.

Gatland was one red card and one last minute penalty away from having Wales in 2 World Cup Finals.

Joe got annihilated in the 1/4s in both his World Cups.

Gatland also got Wales out of the group of death and knocked out the hosts in 2015 with one of the biggest injury crisis ever.

Gatland also has 2 more Grand Slams.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Yeah their CVs just aren't comparable in truth in terms of top tier achievements, despite Schmidt being an outstanding coach and the best Ireland ever had.

The argument that Gatland's lows were worse doesn't stand up given he was at Wales for twice as long as Schmidt was at Ireland. Schmidt's sixth year was by far his worst and had he not opted to go then he may suffered the same lows Gatland did at Wales.

Schmidt is the best coach Ireland ever had 😀

His biggest mistake was announcing he was going too early, to what extent it affected 2019 is hard to say, but it had an effect

But you cant say he would have had the barren years Gatland had when he never had them

Losing to Japan was the biggest mistake of the year, NZ would have trounced wales just as badly

It had nothing to do with Joe announcing he was leaving. Coaches do that all the time before World Cups.

Henry did it in 2011, Gatland did it in 2019. It didn't effect them.

look at the squad, they had plenty of players

one man won that for them and it wasn't gatland

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Think it was more to do with style of play being figured and being unwilling to change style or personnel. The whole year was a disaster from the hammering in Dublin against Ireland to getting trounced in Cardiff and damn near held scoreless onto the World Cup. That is a barren year.

Also weren't you saying earlier Gatland didn't deserve any credit for the 2017 Lions tour against only a reasonable NZ side? Whatever they were in 2017, they were a much lesser side two years, unacceptable for Ireland to get hammered off the park.

Either way there is no comparison between 3 Grand Slams, 2 RWC semi finals, Lions etc and Schmidt's record.

You can try to make it nothing to do with Gatland if you like

but he still did it.

2 RWC semi-finals vs 2 quarter-final thrashings

But his lows categorically were worse. Our worst finish in the 6Ns under Joe was 3rd. As has been pointed out earlier, after the 2008 GS Gatland led Wales to 3 consecutive 4th place finishes. His record vs SH opposition with Wales is awful, even in those years when he was all conquering in the 6Ns.

I just dont understand how people can say that their CVs aren't comparable. Let's look at them side by side. Since Gatland was sacked from the Ireland job:

[Table]Competition |Gatland|Schmidt

Domestic League|3 in 3 seasons|1 in 3 seasons

Challenge Cup|1 in 3 seasons|1 in 3 seasons

HEC|1 in 3 seasons|2 in 3 seasons

6 Nations|3 (3 GSs) in 10 seasons|3 (1 GS) in 6 seasons

RWC|2 SFs in 3 attempts|0 SFs in 2 attempts

Lions|1 series win|N/A[/table]

Gatland had a few years with Ireland and Connacht before that too obviously, which Joe didn't have, but given the length of time both served as head coaches I'd argue those are very comparable CVs.

I'm not trying to say he is a bad coach, he's not. He's fantastic at certain things. But it is also fair to say he has shown some real limitations too, particularly the poor record vs SH teams with Wales. Surely there's room for us to acknowledge that while also acknowledging his successes?

I see the table functionality has changed. I've taken a lot of rubbish from this new upgrade, but some things are sacred. Feck this!

You see this post sums up my issue with some people who big up Gatland. The red card vs France was their own doing, yet is framed here as serious misfortune. The insane number of injuries we had in 2015 was genuine misfortune which is framed as a woeful failing by Joe. The complete lack of perspective or balance is crazy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement