Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020/21 NBA season + Olympics

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,274 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

They had a great season, did Paul / Booker / the Suns. But in the end they were 2 - 0 up in a Finals series they had been charmed to get to...and they lost 4 in a row. Could be Paul never gets another chance as a no.1 / no.2 option on a team. In that sense closing it out is everything. I'm sure Paul would say similar himself.

It was a weird playoffs and in the end these two franchises, teams, set of stars had an unlikely opportunity to steal one. Giannis stepped up and took it and it takes the pressure off the rest of his career, particularly the next few years. As silly as media narratives are, the noise would have been intense had he / they lost. Good for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Are we doing an Olympics thread? Or just continue here?

Also, I saw Space Jam 2 (or whatever it's called) yesterday. If you thought KD was insecure, this casts new light on LeBron's precious ego. I almost sprained my eyes from the constant rolling they were subjected to. That said, I'm sure plenty on here will love it! :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Happy to just use this thread for the Olympics. Luka with a huge game this morning - he is a beast.

Big talking point is team USA losing out to France. This could be the kick they need to get going. The team clearly isn't as strong as previous years though - will be interesting to see how they fare down the stretch.

They’ve had plenty of opportunities for wake up calls in recent weeks - they’ve lost 3 of their last 5 games now, they are really struggling to adjust to Fiba rules and the physicality of international play. They are also somewhat bizarrely struggling (relatively) with the shorter 3 point line. Another thing that is exposed though is how better drilled the competition is compared to them. All of that said though, if they don’t win they’ll be vilified - and rightly so given the talent they have at their disposal.

Perkins and Jalen Rose had a falling out over Petkins’ Batman comment and Rose now had to apologize on several platforms. Embarrassing tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,492 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Valanciunas Memphis -> Pelicans

Bledsoe Pelicans -> Memphis

Adams Pelicans -> Memphis

Valanciunas has been very good for Memphis but this is just really a contract dump for the Pelicans. I'd imagine Memphis will keep Adams and look to move Bledsoe.

A few years ago i spent a lot of time in Denver with work. At the time I posted that when getting a flight I met the U17 US mens team on their way to a tournament in South America. I spoke to the coaches and a few of the players for a bit as we shared a shuttle (train) to the terminal. Here's the team:

Kinda weird thinking I was in the midst of such talent.

Seems we are a few hours away from Westbrook becoming a Laker, Kuzma and Harrell heading to Washington.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,974 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Not sure about it, just seems like they are making a “super team” just cos they can.

For me, on the face of it, it doesn’t seem like a good fit, especially with LeBron, I can’t see Westbrook bending the knee to LeBrons ego but who knows, we will see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,974 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

I like the Warriors picks, kuminga has a very high ceiling but may take time. Moody is pretty much NBA ready and can help now

If anything I think these two can be good trade value

I was going to post on this last week when it was doing the rounds but boards wasn't working. Anyway........

For the theatre alone of watching Westbrook tell Lebron to F Off a few times it'll be worth it. Lol.

I think it's a great move for them for the regular season as they need someone to go balls out for 82 games and not take any breaks on the intensity. The extra wins Westbrook will give them could be enough to get them homecourt, even in the loaded West.

I'd worry about the fit come Play Off time though. When healthy last year Westbrook was very good, that said, he still has and always will have the potential to do dumb sh*t.

At the back of my mind though part of me is thinking are Lebron/Klutch/the Lakers thinking of having this as Plan A to get Chris Paul mid-season assuming Paul signs with Phoenix. Because if it's not working early LeBron will want him gone asap.

As things stand LeBron, AD, and Westbrook alone will make more next year than 20 of the other 29 teams in the NBA. The Lakers also currently have just 5 players contracted for next year, and did not draft any of those 5.

Lakers were rapid in building the roster.

Wayne Ellington, Dwight Howard, Trevor Ariza, Carmelo Anthony and Malik Monk have all signed up.

Fùck me.

The Bulls have turned Satoransky and Temple into Lonzo Ball + Aminu and Thad Young into DeRozan.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Coneygree

Luol Deng is their 5th highest paid player! Although it is a hail Mary throw of the dice, I think the Lakers have done well.

Delighted the Bulls are starting to do something. Defensively they will be eaten alive but they should at least make the playoffs. Hopefully Patrick Williams makes a leap as he'll be needed badly on defence. Lonzo will obviously help too but it looks shaky with DeMar, Vuc and Lavine, although the latter he improved. Maybe with less pressure on him to put up 30 a game he might make more of an effort defensively too.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

Folks are RTE showing the Olympics semi finals tomorrow ? hard to know from the website. Any other place I could watch it live if they aren't showing them ? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,571 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Managed to sneak Alex Caruso onto the roster as well

Wow that was some game between France and Slovenia.

US will likely beat France in the final, can’t really see them losing twice to France in a few weeks. They’ll have learned a lot from the loss in Vegas, like they did in the Australia game.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Vital Transformation

They only showed the last 10 minutes of the USA-Australia game because it clashed with Kellie Harrington's boxing match. Strangely they didn't use RTÉ commentary for it; surely Timmy McCarthy would have been covering the semi-final? I hope they are showing the final tonight in full.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Coneygree

I just caught the highlights of the Gold Medal game. Timmy was in fine form. If a network snapped him up he'd automatically become the best NBA commentator. Only one that comes close is the Hornets guy.

He's absolutely awful. And I saw that knowing him personally.

Not to mention no-one outside of Ireland would understand the Cork accent.

Multiple (Heat, Bulls) teams being investigated for tampering while the Lakers (of course) aren't. SMH.

Now we have Klutch being Klutch and trying to dictate where Ben Simmons goes (California only apparently), thus cutting his value enormously. A real sh*t show.

Was just reading about Kawhi..................Mother of God talk about entitled. He hasn't signed with the Clippers costing them $10million+ for next season to start with. On top of that he's asked to talk to OTHER teams about doing a 1+1 (Player Option Year 2) - which basically means he wants SOMEONE to pay him $39.5million+ TO NOT PLAY next season (he's injured and most likely won't play at all next year), and then have the option to walk away. Naturally enough no-one seems interested in that option, but that's apparently all he's offering the Clippers at the moment too. I think the Clippers would be mad to essentially cost themselves $50m for a 1+1PO, and should insist on at least 2 years, if not 3.

Patty Mills to the Nets looks like being the deal of Free Agency. They have to be strong favourites to win it all next year if they stay injury free.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,705 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Vital Transformation

Schroder deal appears savvy by Celtics, has to use this year to ball out and re earn the right to a higher salary but not committed beyond that; I think they will get a good year of play from him at least. Low risk deal.

Schroder one is head-scratching to think no one wanted to pay him market value. He had Covid coming into the play offs, seems very unfair to judge him on that. He was solid all year prior to that, considering he turned down $21m per year for 4 years a few months ago it’s bizarre really that the best deal he can get is $5.9m for 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,399 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

where does Ben Simmons end up and what is he worth ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭Corvo

Between the off season and Boards chewing up the website and spitting it back out in an awful mess, things have been pretty quiet around here!

Looking forward to the start of the season!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement