Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Spiderman0081

Seems to be true. For about 6 months. Not so much after that.

were you not leaving boards in a previous post?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Conjecture. All evidence still supports what M32 said

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's still not as you claim, goalpost moving. On public health they defer to NPHET and nobody has claimed they are in control of that narrative, they haven't been since last Christmas. Lots of things to blame them for but not changing the rules that NPHET advised. In due course there will be a review of NPHET and their part in all of this. That is mostly good but there are elements of the dynamic which require scrutiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭prunudo

I'm confused, how can it not be goalpost moving? We will open up indoor dining on July 5th, oh actually it will be July 19th and you'll now also need to use a vaccine cert to eat inside.

(Dates could be wrong as I honestly can't remember anymore)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Total misinformation. Maybe do some research before you spout gibberish?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Great to read that report albeit too late now

Many posters were on the ball when the called out the charade 12 months ago

Heard Sarah Hamill on newstalk earlier. She referred to the sketchy reporting of deaths and the use of the media to ensure compliance.

When children’s shoe shops were forced to close for months (and it took a great struggle to reopen them) in the name of public health, was when the penny should of dropped for everyone

unfortunately some will never see the light

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The reality is that there is no country with a solid roadmap for full reopening.

The UK might have dropped legal restrictions, but they still have considerable health guidance in place, as well as travel restrictions, and they're still progressing along their own roadmap - which doesn't give any date or indication as to when it will be retired. They were also flagging the possibility for needing to bring back masks and distancing in the Autumn.

There is no fixed point of, "When we get here, it is over", because every previous attempt to do so has failed miserably; in every country. And because these things develop organically, they progress little by little, they don't just switch on and off overnight. You can declare it finished one day and three weeks later you're getting your ass kicked.

Czech Republic held a huge symbolic celebration last July for the "end of the pandemic", thinking they had it beaten. 3 months later they had the worst infection rates in Europe.

Similarly we all watched with envy while Kiwis jumped up and down celebrating the end of lockdown in June 2020. Two months later, they were back into it.

I'm not making commentary about who has done better or worse, merely that the best laid plans are scuppered by this.

In the same way that by the time you realise your country is experiencing a new wave, you're already two weeks into it; by the time we come to understand the emergency to be "over", we will have been well out of the woods for a couple of weeks, just waiting for confirmation that it is so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

None of that is any excuse for a lack of ambition or any cohesive plan to reopen.

Seriously - there is no plan, no messaging, no goal coming from those in charge of our pandemic response. Just "hold firm" and "the next 2 weeks are crucial".

Is this what the new normal entails? Living the rest of our life week to week with no idea what comes next?

Edit: Also the UK looked at the data and said OK, we can open up without NHS being overrun. Lets do it. Scotland have planned for the same in the coming weeks. Why cant Ireland, with higher vaccination rates, plan for the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Whilst I think @seamus makes some good points about best laid plans, there are some areas of policy which unarguably benefit from well-planned advance messaging.

Prime example: the requirement for vaccination certs to access certain indoor activities.

Whilst there is a case to be made that the govt were blindsided by the Delta surge, this isn't the case any more, and they should be announcing now that in six weeks bars and clubs will be fully open with bar service, normal meatsack density and regular hours to those who have been fully vaccinated. Same for normal capacity wedding receptions with loud music and dancing.

That would give the vaccine-lethargic plenty of notice to get fully vaccinated ahead of the re-opening.

Compare this to the UK where they announced the same measures would be phased in weeks after re-opening. That's a different kind of stupid.

(I'm not making the case for compulsory vaccination for clubbers or wedding guests being reasonable, I'm just making the point that the government is missing opportunities to execute a conservative plan).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Yes i’m leaving soon as my life is now getting back to normal so i have lost the desire to read the crap posted on these threads.

I can do all the things i couldn’t do last year. I can eat in a restaurant, i can get p****d inside a pub if i wish ( however i’m not a big pub goer) also i have few upcoming trips internationally. Life couldn’t be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Spiderman0081

• Registered Users Posts: 5,601 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

If I dont see a clear roadmap OUT of this and transparent key metrics I'm not taking another fkn thing.

I stayed at home, I followed the restrictions, I wear the bloody mask and got the fkn vaccine shots. Even though I didnt believe half of what I was told and I wasn't afraid a bit of the virus. I did it to do my thing knowing it was our only hope out of this. And I've had enough of this bull now.

Unless I see hard metrics put in front of me I'm not supporting another damn thing. Including walking around with that stupid cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

I suppose a total anomaly in the data deserves a whole article.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Sure, but lots of unknowns about a lot of things. The key point is that the risk of death in a non-vulnerable 40 year old from covid is very small, even the risk of being hospitalised is small. This is what the data shows. Needing an article to emotionally manipulate people says it all about whether they should in fact worry about covid if young and healthy. It is just trying to stir fear and confusion. It's ridiculous but disturbing and dismaying that people go for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭gipi

There was some twitter discussion about the chap who died - a twitter thread from his sister apparently (retweeted by Piers Morgan), who happened to mention as an aside that the chap had asthma. If it's true, then he wasn't exactly non-vulnerable, even if fit as a flea and if his asthma was under control.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

1,314 new confirmed cases.

As of 8am today, 187 COVID-19 patients are hospitalised, of which 30 are in ICU.

• Advertisement

Still steady if creeping up a bit in hospital. 226 people in hospital, 38 in ICU in NI as a comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

have it now, got it in trabolgan the weekend. cesspit, dont get me started.

wife didnt get it, neither did 8 year old, just me and the 5 year old.

like a mild flu or bad cold. still eating like normal etc, drove 3.5 hours home from cork unawares. drank through it not realising.

5 year old hasnt a bother on him, very slight cough.

the other family of 4 we were staying in a house with all tested negative also. go figure.

sat was worst day, and i honestly just put it down to a bad 2 day hangover.

I'm a bit surprised at the ICU difference between the Republic and Northern Ireland.

38 cases in ICU in Northern Ireland is the equivalent of 99 cases in the Republic, or the Republic's 30 cases is equivalent to 11 in Northern Ireland if you base it on population.

The only thing that could really explain it is differences in behaviour a few weeks ago. People don't end up in ICU overnight, and while the North may be behind us a little on vaccines now, it was ahead and had more people vaccinated fully at that stage than we did.

So it has to be socially based, unless there's a very big difference between the Pfizer/BioNTech (dominant in the Republic) and AstraZeneca (dominant in the UK) vaccine effectiveness, but that doesn't seem to be held up in any of the published research.

When you factor in case spikes in Donegal, it has to be down to human factors and behaviour patterns.

The two jurisdictions are quite comparable in terms of most things to do with housing types, how people live and so on. So, it's quite remarkable really that there's a fairly strong difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,217 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

1,314* confirmed cases of #COVID19.

As of 8am today, 187 COVID-19 patients are hospitalised, of which 30 are in ICU.

There has been a total of 5,044 deaths related to #COVID19.

Have they indicated whether they’ll give more accurate hospital info anytime soon?

Be interesting to see how many are getting treated for Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,065 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Yeah. Would like to see who is behind that particular report.

Sounds like veering towards an anti medical agenda and absolving a weak government for being... well, weak!

Never mind the fact that Trinity Law, the home of people like Prof William Binchy, not exactly representative of views of most balanced in society.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭brickster69

Probably more to do with NI being a fair way ahead of Ireland with Delta, looks about by about 5 weeks. Going by that Ireland should hit it's peak in about a month.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Exactly.

None of us have seen this report which is mentioned in what I would call a rag, through all the misreporting they have engaged in with some disgraceful journos on board.

Who commissioned this report?

Who are these experts in law?

What are their backgrounds politically and professionally, and do they have a vested interest in the results of this " report"?

Just anti medic shill until we know otherwise.

The question I'd have though is how did it get so much delta variant? Was there THAT much more travel in/out of England?

• Advertisement

Lots of mild asthmatics out there who would not be up to climbing mountains, but go on with the " sure he had asthma" rhetoric!

And this info from Piers Morgan, how reliable 🙄

Advertisement