Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No August is not the start of Autumn

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Ok, you (and others) seem to be flipping between religious festivals and the solstice/equinox etc. If you want to define seasons by the position of the sun in relation the the earth, then you simply use Astronomical seasons (where March 20th is the start of Spring). Again, I have no problem with Astronomical seasons. Very few people in Ireland use them and they are, likewise, not the official seasons in Ireland, but I don't have a problem with them.

I even don't have a problem with the historical calendar you are promoting. I only have a problem with people believing that it is the only/official seasons of Ireland (and only do so because it is what they were taught in primary schools operated by the <religious order that shall not be mentioned as people go ape$hit>), never questioned it and then try to twist things to try and make sense of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

Where have I mentioned that it's religious? You keep bringing Catholic schools into this, and accuse others of doing so.

Christianity took existing dates and ran their religious events from them, to ease adoption of the religion by locals. Stop being disingenuous.

We use available daylight, get over it. March is mid-spring

Lenght of day triggers when plants go to seed. It’s called photoperiodism if you want to look it up. Also plants seed 10 hours of daylight to grow. This is why if you plant tomatoes indoors too early they will need grow lights to mimic solar radiation.

There is still daylight or solar radiation if the day is cloudy.

Weather conditions also effect plants rate of growth obviously but day lenght is the trigger.

What I would call the Celtic calander is based on this and astronomical quarter days as begining the seasons which are mid points between the equinoxs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

FFS, why can't people get it into their heads that the seasons are predicated on one thing and ONE THING ONLY and that is the solar cycle. Temperature, or rainfall or when kids are off school or fcking Lisdoonvarna or anything else has nothing to do with it. The year is split up into four solar milestones, the Vernal Equinox, the Summer Solstice, the Autumnal Equinox and the Winter Solstice. The four blocks of 3 months straddle these events.

You'll have to ask whoever defined the astronomical seasons. But that is what it is. Under the Astronomical seasons (i.e. seasons based on the solar cycle), the equinoxes and solstices mark the beginning of the seasons, not the mid-point.

The May-June-July season as summer was established long before Christianity, Catholicism or saints ever existed. The journey of the Sun from the Tropic of Capricorn to the Tropic of Cancer takes 6 months. At the Tropic of Capricorn it is the shortest day in the Northern Hemisphere. This is Mid-Winter. Afterwards the days in the Northern Hemisphere start to get longer. When the Sun reaches the Equator on its way north this is Mid Spring in the Northern Hemosphere (the Vernal Equinox ~March 21/22). When it reaches the Tropic of Cancer (June 21/22) it is the longest day of the year...Mid Summer, the Summer Solstice. Thereafter the days start getting shorter until they are again equal in length to night when the Sun reaches the Equator again (the Autumnal Equinox September 21/22). It's not rocket science though to some on here it clearly is.

eh???

On the contrary. There are a lot of people on here simply regurgitating the seasons as they learned them in primary school. Now that it has been pointed out to them that these are not the official seasons, they are having a heart-attack and trying to find any reason they can to justify their beliefs.

There are 2 main definitions of seasons in the Western Hemisphere. The first is based on climate and is known as Meteorological Seasons and, in Ireland this results in Spring starting on March 1st. This is the standard adopted in Ireland. We also use the metric system and the Euro currency by the way. The other is based on the solar cycle and is called Astronomical Seasons. It is also recognised in Ireland and has Sprint start on March 20th (this year - it changes from year-to-year).

In Ireland, a 3rd definition exists which came out of Christian Ireland and is a mishmash of different religious and cultural festivals. It is NOT aligned to the solar cycles (as many have tried to claim), nor the growth of grass, and only persists because certain primary schools keep teaching it to little children in between teaching them about the tooth fairy and the easter bunny.

Oh, please read the thread as I have no intention of going back over everything. And no, May, June, July weren't the "summer months" before the establishment of Christianity. Our whole calendar is based on the Roman calendar (which was introduced to us by the early Christian missionaries) and subsequently revised (Gregorian calendar). Travel back 3,000 years and the Irish (as they were then) wouldn't have the first fcukin clue what you are talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Seemingly autumn in the northern hemisphere will start on September 22, which makes me a summer baby!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Have to agree the people pushing autumn into August are the same folks complaining about heat and wishing for summer to be over .

Someone earlier described them as killjoys.

This title is very apt to describe their viewpoint on seasonality. I went for a swim yesterday in the sea. Was lovely. September has been consistently a super warm month. The notion it's cold currently and the heating needs to go on means one thing. You are off you're trolly and your house envelope is extremely poor. I suspect you may also piss money away unnecessarily yearly on bills. Get a survey done and put the money into the outcome.

August is summer ftw. It's half six here and it's 21 degrees. Autumn me arse

• Advertisement

So when we have a cold August we can call it winter?

What about when October is hotter than September? do we go back and forth between seasons?

Temperatures vary, daylight hours do not.

St. Brigid's Day IS the start of Spring and All Saint's Day IS the start of Winter. This however has nothing to do with Christianity or the Catholic Church determining the seasons. It has to do with Christianity and the Catholic Chuch hijacking druidic/pagan dates which are/were based on the Sun cycle. The 1st of November was traditionally called Samhain and marked/celebrated as the beginning of winter. The night before people would light bonfires and wear sary masks to ward off the ghosts and spirits of winter. In order to crush this belief the Church hijacked the holiday, called it All Hallows and the day before as All Hallows Eve/Even or to abbreviate...Hallowe'en. They did the same with the investion of Christmas to hijack the Winter Solstice (though they shuffled it a few days later than Dec. 21st. Most likely they pulled the same stunt with that June 24th crap to try and hijack the Summer Solstice.

But the concept of the 1st of Feb or the 1st of November would have meant nothing to pre-christian irish as they would not have used the roman calendars. There is nothing special about those dates with regards the lunar cycle. You are correct that the christian missionaries would have hijacked the "pagan" festivals (as they did elsewhere), but the dates would not have necessarily been the same. Going strictly by the lunar cycles (which they likely did), the pagan festivals would translate to our current calendar about a week or so later. The term I keep using to describe it is a "mishmash", as that is exactly what it is.

The "State" doesn't determine what the longest day of the year is or what months have the most sunlight. The FCUKING SUN DOES.

The seasons are predicated on the sun cycle....nothing more. Crops have nothing to do with it. If your arse is parked at the top of Mont Blanc then nothing is going to grow there 365 days a year. But in Summer the days will be longer than they are in Winter.

If astronomers classify the 21st of September as the start of Autumn then they would classify the 21st of December as the start of Winter. Why would anyone call the 21st of December as the start of Winter when the days are starting to get longer on that date?

Of course the state determines what the seasons are. Regardless of whether you use the imperial or metric system, distance, mass, volume etc remain the same, but the state determines which system we use to measure them. We could, if we want, create a whole new calendar tomorrow with just 5 months, or 50! We could have 7 seasons or 12! We could even divide the day into a decimal system if we wanted. It still wouldn't change how long a day/year lasts, but it would change the system by which we use to describe/measure them.

If you want to follow seasons based on the sun cycle, then you follow the Astronomical Seasons, not the Brigid's day version. For the last time - the celtic calendar does not align to the sun cycle!!!

Jesus man.......the seasons don't START on the Equinoxes or Solstices. These are HALFWAY points.

I'll really try to simplify it for you. Does Monday or Saturday or any other day of the week begin at NOON?

No. NOON is the midpoint. Some people on here using the same logic about temperatures or how they "feel" would say the day of the week starts when their damn alarm clock goes off at 6am. 5 minutes before that is "yesterday".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭blackbox

Winter: November, December, January, February, March.

Spring: April, May, June.

Summer: July, August.

Autumn: September, October.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,849 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

To claim that August is autumn when it's consistently warmer than May is just fúckin' stupid.

(that's just been beaten above though - how the fcuk can the month with the summer solstice not even be in summer?)

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

@blackbox Jasus, that’s a long winter you’re having 😨

The fcuking Premier League "SEASON" runs from August to May of the following year. So does that chop the year up into 2 seasons? Mid- August to Mid-May and Mid-May to Mid-August? The four seasons are based purely on the Sun cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭What.Now

(that's just been beaten above though - how the fcuk can the month with the summer solstice not even be in summer?)

This confuses me. Summer Solatice in August!!!

Why would a month where plants are starting to die off be considered Summer when a month like May when plants are strating to come into full bloom not be considered summer.

In my mind it should be based on Daylight hours, that is consistint.

There was snow here in Amsterdam in April a few years ago. April must be winter so. The previous December temperatures reaching 15. December must be Spring so.....or maybe even Summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Brrrrrrrrrr ...... It's just so autumny outside. All those leaves falling and the general browness in my garden.

Brrrrrrrrrr

• Advertisement

Uhhh...they could, believe it or not, COUNT. They could count that there were 182/3 sunrises and sunsets between the Summer Solstice and the Winter Solstice. The halfway point between these two is the Autumnal Equinox weighing in at approximatelt 91 sunrises/sunsets. The halfway point between the Autumna Equinox and the Winter Solstice would be approximately 45/46 sunrises/sunsets (days) between the Autumnal Equinox and the Winter Solstice. Now before you scream "Aha", you have to remember that days of the week and numbers of days in the month and numbers of months in the year are Human constructs designed to facilitate social cohesion.

A swallow doesn't need to know if it's Wednesday or August or a Bank Holiday or a Saint's Birthday to know when to flight south for the Winter. Our intrepid bird detects diminishing sunlight and that's his cue.

I'm afraid you can't see the forest for the trees.

Seasons are man-made. In other countries/climates, they may have less or more than 4 seasons. Seasons are a means to group together days of the year based on common characteristics, nearly always climate-based (you will typically hear of dry/monsoon/post-monsoon etc), but if it is easier for you, think of them as Season A, Season B, Season C etc. In our part of the world, we divide the year into 4 seasons using 2 different scientific-based systems.

• One, a climate based one called meteorological seasons strictly adheres to the Gregorian calendar. It divides the year into 4 subsets of exactly 3 months each (regardless of the number of days in the month/year), with a season called "Spring" starting on March 1st.
    • The other system, a solar based one called astronomical seasons, strictly adheres to the solar cycle and divides the year into 4 subsets (ignoring months, with the varying sizes). It too has a season called "Spring" that may start on a different day depending on the year, but typically around the 20th of March as it was this year.

While both are recognised, it is the meteorological one that is most commonly used and is used by the state.

A final calendar, unique to Ireland, is a mishmash of everything, sometimes referred to as the Irish calendar. Although we are not sure when it was invented, it was likely some time in the dark ages as early christian missionaries and monks tried to reconcile religious symbols and festivals with traditional festivals using the now defunct Julian calendar. While it tries to address both climate and solar lifecycle (especially given the multitude of BS arguments on this thread), it does not strictly adhere to anything. It starts spring earlier than the 2 normal systems because it has decided that Feb 1st, St Brigid's day, should be the start of the season called "Spring".

It is not regarded as official, and is typically referred to only from a "traditional" perspective.

Now, to top it off, a lot of people on here keep screaming about Pre christian seasons etc. What will really blow your mind is that, while we don't know exactly what their calendar looked like (and did all celtic tribes adhere to the 1 calendar?), we do know they really only focused on the light part of the year, and the dark part of the year (2 seasons), mainly followed an 8-day week and, you'll love this one as it ties perfectly in to your argument - they regarded the day as beginning at sunset!!!

And with that, I'm out. I cannot explain it any simpler. I have pointed to countless sources (while those in disagreement have offered none). I didn't invent any of these systems, I'm simply trying to explain it. Likewise, I'm not responsible for our education system (or lack of education as the case may be here).

Instead of sticking to your guns and fighting with religious fervour for whatever version you were taught when you were a little child, perhaps you should use this time to think about it and educate yourself further, before choosing a preferred system. As the old saying goes: before you make up your mind - open it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭blackbox

That's the reality of it.

People will argue that June isn't Spring, but lots of trees are still only coming into leaf in June. For me, Spring is the season of new growth.

What are you on about? I don't follow Saint Brigid's Day as the start of Spring. I follow February 1 as the start of Spring because it is midway between the Winter Solstice and the Vernal Equinox.

And for your information the state does NOT determine what the seasons are. Science and Nature and clever people who observe Science and Nature do that. Clever people like ancient druids and observers of the cycle of nature/the Sun/the stars and planets determined how the seasons fell. Morons in cults like the Church or government stated otherwise.

Clever cookies like Gallileo determined that the Earth circled the Sun. Morons in the Church or the STATE said he was wrong.

Because the seasons aren't bassed on temperature. Can you not get that into your head. It is consistently 70F in Ecuador ALL YEAR ROUND. Are you going to call December Summer and July Winter?

• Advertisement

Since when have you witnessed a tree in full glorious bloom go from a majestic oak or elm or sycamore to a bare skeleton with a mountain of dead brown leaves below in one day? Your statement has to be one of the dumbest things I've read in months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭holton

A question on The Chase recently. "When does Autumn begin in the Northern Hemisphere". Answer: September. CORRECT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭daheff

OP you are wrong here. 100%

21st June is Midsummer. Each season is 3months long (12/4).

So summer is 3 months long(90days give or take). If Midsummer is the middle day of summer, stands to reason there is 1.5months either side of this day. As such 45 days before 21st June is 6th May (if my maths are right). 45 days after is 5th Aug.

Round that to nearest month and it's May, June & July.

QED.

Was out for a walk earlier looking at blackberries, haws and crabapples - it's the start of the harvest for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,541 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

There is a wikpedia user who contributed to the "talk" section for that wiki page on 21st April ranting about the Catholic Church. 😉 .

One of his reference links was a link to the Sun. The newspaper that is 😂

Post edited by Donald Trump on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33 LV-426

December, January and February are definitely winter! Rough as feck.

Here's one for you.......prior to Man even evolving the Sun was crossing the Equator and the Tropics. For millions of years. This was long before calendars or saints or idiots in dresses talking about dead humans. This was before humans even existed. Now tell me that the summer solstice, a MILLION years ago was not the highlight of sunlight and the Winter Solstice was not its nadir. Even during the ICE AGE the seasons revolved.It doesn't matter whether the woolly Mammoth or the Sabre-Toothed tiger tramped around in the snow. The seasons are defined by the Sun.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Funny, I noticed today on some local trees that the leaves are already browning, so I guess it's Autumn alright. I guess it'll just take another number of weeks for them all to actually fall/blow off the trees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭beachhead

Caesar Augustus would not be impressed with being told he belongs in the autumn.He would have you on a cross in jig time

And get this...in the Southern Hemisphere siimilar trees are beginning to bud. Why Because the Sun is returning to the Tropic of Capricorn and their days get longer. Trees and meadows in Patagonia shall be in full bloom in a month or two. Why?

Because of the SUN.

I wonder if they have ever heard of St Bridgit or St John in Fiji or Tierra Dell Fuego or Vladivostok or Baha or Tuvalu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,849 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

This thread is not about Ecuador ffs and the concept of having four seasons supposedly (but in reality, not really) of exactly the same length only applies to temperate climates.

Also, Fahrenheit, really? 🙄

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

Did you read the fine print?

They also state that Amsterdam, Lagos and Karachi are national capitals.

But that evergreen coniferous in winter.....you know the pine tree and not shedding its pines or cones and it is warm at 15C in December must mean its Summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

It's very interesting to see such a contentious debate about the seasons, but let's face it, autumn starts on 1st August.

Let's just resist calling it fall.

@beachhead I don’t think the Irish or Celtic calander would bother Caesar in the slightest to be honest. The Romans weren’t really interested in Ireland. On a seasonal note they did refer to Ireland as Hibernia or the land of winter. @blackbox

HiberniaRoman name for Ireland, from Old Celtic *Iveriu"Ireland" (see Irish). Form altered in Latin as though it meant "land of winter"

To be correct 😅 from Douglas Harper's Etymology Dictionary

the more this august goes on the more I think that may, June and July are in fact better candidates for summer in Ireland. And this august isn’t unique - August is often wet. May gets more insolation. Far less 🌧

if we didn’t have summer time the sunsets would be more obviously closing in. It would be dark long before 9.

good call ancient Celts.

They didn’t have the Roman calendars but they did have dates. The dates were in or around the first week in February for imbolc for instance. From wiki.

Imbolc is .. Cross Quarter Day, midpoint between the Winter Solstice and the Spring Equinox, it can fall between the 2nd & 7th of February when calculated as the mid point between the astronomical Winter Solstice and the astronomical Spring Equinox, in 2019 it falls on February 4th.

that was also considered the start of spring. And actually from an astronomical point of view it makes sense. With the Roman calendars it was standardised to Feb 1.

(groundshog day is related to this as well).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

If the winter solstice is the shortest day of the year, surely winter starts 6 weeks before and finishes at the end of 6 weeks after.. The same with Summer, 6 weeks either side of the solstice. I was in secondary school before I managed to figure out that’s why December was the middle month of winter and June was the middle month of summer, so spring and autumn fell into place too, 6 weeks either side of the equinoxes. It made sense to me.

Now it appears I got it wrong but I honestly don’t understand why they say the astronomical seasons start from the solstices and equinoxes.

I don’t mind the meteorological convention because really, around the Med no way is August autumn, it’s the hottest month of the year, although September can be changeable .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,410 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The capital is Amsterdam they just decentralised the government because it was too much hassle having it in Amsterdam. Same goes for moving a lot of their financial institutions to Rotterdam

Advertisement