Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭dave29ken

We managed to sell our house and were intending to buy at the same time, but with the lack of supply, were willing to rent somewhere in between. Our sale went well in the current market, giving us additional unexpected funds, and were happy enough to go above asking on the buying side as a result. However, we have noticed as the summer has gone on that the price increases have gotten worse. We have been involved in bidding wars that are pushing houses priced in the 470-480 bracket into the 560-570 bracket, and in our experience, its often driven up to that level by individuals that don't enter the bidding straight away. Perhaps the people with a budget of 600k are missing out on houses they thought they could afford and are now concentrating on the stock priced below that and are driving up the prices, with the knock on that the next house for sale in that area is priced far higher to begin with. We are looking in SCD, with would have been a good budget 6 months ago!

We are unsure what's the right thing to do next. Focus on renting for the rest of the year is likely, but I wonder when will these increases plateau? Is anyone else having similar experiences and if so how are you approaching it? We knew the market was hot coming into it in April, but the subsequent months show that its getting dramatically worse.

Supply is obviously a driver but the market seems to be absolutely flooded with money and credit like never before!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I'm dreading trying 2 buy an apartment next year. I can afford asking prices where I'm living now in Dublin, the fear is bidding going mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,903 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Contracts signed, deposit paid and should hit the solicitor's account by early next week. Have the 12th as a closing date. Getting closer! Just a couple more weeks of being a nervous wreck :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

We're in a similar boat but haven't sold our home yet. Prices seem crazy

e.g. https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/oldtown-roundwood-county-wicklow-a98-w226/4518972

if it was 2020, I'd be more inclined to expect 450 but it's 650 asking for a bungalow in the middle of nowhere. The mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭ec18

There's a lot of optimistic asking prices for houses on their own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

We are having a nightmare trying to get any update from AIB as to when they'll release funds. We uploaded our account statements and payslips Tuesday of last week. Our application only got looked at yesterday and they raised an issue with our insurance so now we're back in the queue again!

Very worried that'll mean another near 10 day wait to get funds. We were supposed to be out of our current place by this weekend. Our landlord is kindly giving us a few days grace but they can't wait around forever either.

Our solicitor is saying he's never seen it take so long, funds are normally released in 3-5 business days.

Stress!!

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭FrankN1

Would anyone know how long drawdown takes with PTSB after the loan offer is sent back to the bank?

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭cintec

In a similar boat with a different lender I missed my closing yesterday. Solicitor was in touch with the lender and hope to have the funds released early next week.

I just want this to be over and have the keys in my hand so I can relax 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Everything seems so slow at the moment. We’re sale agreed on our own house and a new one (not new build), 6 weeks on and still no signed contracts or dates, and no full loan offer from the bank. Banks delayed on deeds as well, they all seem to be so slow at the moment. Going into every week hoping for progress but not seeing much.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

We were told 7-10 working days after last action item was completed. Ended up being 7 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭dubal

New low for us. Given up on the Market after being let down badly, vendor pulled out after 4 months sale agreed.

Yesterday, property we had been bidding on but were out bid came back on the Market.

Estate agent rings us and says first person to bid x price gets it. It was at end and almost beyond our original limit, but we confirmed and were first to accept.

The agent comes back a few hours later saying they have a higher offer.

Is there any integrity?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,108 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Sale agreed since May 7th

Solicitor has found the estates services have never been taken in charge by the council and has issues with this. He says it is likely to be a problem for the bank

Took me 12 working days for funds to be released after PTSB were furnished with everything in a neat package by the solicitor and broker working together. And that was with me hounding them both, and them in turn chasing the bank regularly

They blamed volume and staff shortages. Probably quite variable depending upon the workload or level of sickness in a given week

Funds have been released to my solicitor and the keys are with the estate agent since last Friday.

Would it be reasonable to assume 24-48 hours the funds would reach the vendors account and I get the keys?

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

For anyone getting their mortgage with AIB, they're saying it's taking 6-9 working days at the moment to review documents. So much for responding to queries within 2 business days!

I now have to arrange alternative accomodation because it's taking the bank so bloody long to get back to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yeah I had my keys within 24 hours of the funds being released.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

Just closed today on a new build and getting keys this week - just a matter of our schedules. It's been a wild ride through lockdowns and all. Absolutely over the moon that it's done now! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 jood22

EBS the same. Each time there is a question or request for more documents everything is paused and then add 6 working days for them to get back to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 nicchick88

First time buyer, we went sale agreed a few weeks back and everything has been smooth sailing except for the end date. When we were looking at the house, the vendor was willing to sell the house quickly. We were in this horrible bidding war with another party (they kept putting the price up by 1000 but it always took 2 days for them to do so), but finally won out.

The issue now is, the contract didn't put an end date and stated that it will be up to the vendor when they find another home. Our solicitor has never seen this on a contract before.

this house has been sale agreed already before, wouldn't you think that the vendor would have a place lined up already? they wanted to sell the house quick and now all of a sudden there is no end date?🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭dubal

I'd keep looking for another property and stay sale agreed.

You know how hard it is to find a new property, they are just starting this journey, could be weeks, could be months.

Signing a contract that locks in the price and gives them an open ended exit would be madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭tigger123

Saying a vendor is looking for a quick sale is just another standard lie/untruth that comes out of an Estate Agent's mouth when they're showing a place. I've seen plenty of houses and they're always 'looking for a quick sale'.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 byron55

The lack of transparency is so irritating - can't believe one word we are told. Bidding on a house recently that needed major work - kept being told 'quick sale', 'only one other bidder', 'nearly there', etc. When we finally decided to pull out, I was told 'that's grand, they'll go with the other bidder' - house still on sale. When bidding on an earlier house that, granted, had huge interest but again needed major work, the EA actually laughed (!) down the phone, after days of a bidding war, when I upped bid by 1k. So jealous of anyone who bought when the market wasn't so crazy and the EAs weren't in a position to treat buyers like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭tigger123

I completely ignore anything an agent says to me. You can't trust any of it, and it just clouds your own decision making.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 nicchick88

Our solicitor is very good, and is pushing for the vendors solicitors for a closing date. We have been advised not to sign anything yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 popeyed2

Hi all, avid reader of this thread but first post here (had some issues with account confirmation on boards.ie). Just wondering if anyone else having similar issues to us re. mortgage application from PTSB. We are with a broker and have AIP since end of May. Sale agreed on a house since June 1st and vendor very anxious to close. PTSB have reverted a number of times looking for extra documentation including structural survey (house is 100+ years old). Latest request was for costings for some remedial works. They have this document back to them since the 15th July. Our broker tells us our case has moved to approved status on the intermediary portal since the 28th July. But still no sign of our letter of offer or loan pack. At this stage the vendor is aware we are waiting for letter of offer and has given us until the 17th August to provide this or he will pull out. Every day, I am a nervous wreck. Broker assures me the backlog is for every PTSB customer at the moment. Wondering if all other banks are similar? Have had all requests for further info, any documents, surveys, valuations etc. done and handed in promptly at every stage so happy that the delays have never been on our side but still hard to go day after day, weekend after weekend with the stress and worry. Seems like psychological torture at this stage.

Got the keys this afternoon. So happy to finally have the keys in my hand and be done with all the stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Market seems to have stalled lately. Houses were being snapped up near us but recently seem to be sitting around.

I think the vendor would be crazy to pull out.

I went with PTSB and they put me through the wringer in a very similar way. I thought that it was 'game over' with the vendors many times. We passed many vendor imposed deadlines. Seems a combination of a quite ridiculous level of caution by PTSB, and being completely overburdened and understaffed. I would warn potential buyers on this thread about going with PTSB tbh (despite the nice 2% cashback on closing). My broker told me that all banks were the same, but looking at this thread over the last couple of months it does seem like there are a disproportionate number of PTSB related tales.

It is torture. All you can do is get your broker AND your solicitor to push and push the bank. My wife and I also wrote a personal letter to the vendor (old fashioned pen and paper) saying how much we wanted the property, that we were committed and asking that they hang in there. Also kept the agent in the loop completely and had him reassuring the vendor every few days. Also pressured my solicitor to keep a regular dialogue with theirs. It was work every day in trying to push it along.

The vendors did not pull out in the end, after multiple threats and the insertion of a condition in the contract saying that completion had to be by a certain date (which we missed three times and had to get a new date inserted)

When we did eventually get to final checks, it still took nearly three weeks to get the money transferred. It's just not good enough

Good luck. Just push and push

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

I've noticed the number of PTSB issues too. We drew down last month with KBC and it was incredibly straightforward and very quick. Found communication excellent throughout, firm dates were very much adhered to. It's so stressful as is without added concerns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

We went direct with KBC, no broker. No huge delays but they did have a few cases where documents weren't sent internally. They didn't come back for anything that wasn't expected or previously requested. I was happy at that. The communication issues are not out of character for them in my experience.

Advertisement