Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Electric Picnic 2021 - Cancelled :( **No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

All a pile of b*llox. Up north, they are giving free tickets to outdoor gigs to get folk to get vaccinated. 

Down here, we will be about 80% vaccinated and they are cancelling outdoor gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭fish_fingers

Laois councillor: How are we gonna get out of this fest lark?

Government: Tell ya what, you refuse the licence and when they come to us, we'll say our hands are tied, that we can't overturn local decisions.

Laois councillor: Nice one, ta!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

• Registered Users Posts: 36 mushypeas12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

I'd imagine that once all adults have their 2nd jabs (probably in about 4 weeks, as mid-30s are only getting theirs at the moment in most centres), then things will loosen up a lot more, and indoor gigs will be allowed. Dunno about things as big as the 3Arena, but I'd be fairly certain the likes of Whelans/Roisin Dubh etc will be having gigs by the end of October.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

I think it's fair enough criticism for the councillors, I don't deny they're in a difficult position it will be the people of Laois re-electing them in 2024, not us. But equally this could backfire badly if FR decide to change venue.

They're small time local councillors voting on what is now a national issue, they should have passed this off to Government/national level.

And when I say "small time" read this article again and some of their comments, #bloodboil

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭HarryTheSpider

Over the last few days, I began to have the feeling that this would happen.

As much as we all wanted this to go ahead, there is still a (small) risk and as much as we don't want to hear it, it is better to err on the side of caution. If we had another month of so to play with, it could have been a different story.

I'm kinda stuck between sad that it is not going to happen and relieved to finally know. I know Benn hasn't thrown in the towel yet, but he put up a good fight and I really can't see a way around this.

It will be interesting to see how they cope with the next 12 months. I don't know how many people held on to the tickets, but I guess that a lot of them will look for a refund now. Personally, I will hold on to it, and by next September hope to get a personal warm welcome at the gate on Wednesday night from Melvin himself. :)

I like your optimism 😀

However, end of October is only 10 or 11 weeks away and sure there'd be people drinking and laughing and singing and meeting other people and they'd all be doing the same and sure anything could happen and they might even be able to make a new variant and and and...

I feel that they want our fun taken away and if they don't I fear that they want to change the nature of the beast.

TELL YOU F55KIN ONE THING I WILL IN MY BALLS GO BACK INTO THE OFFICE NOW.

I AINT GOING BACK UNTIL IT'S "SAFE!!" I.e. EP 😋

Post edited by Fatfrog on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Huh? We’re well into vaccinating the early 20s (and below) at this stage. We’re on course to have all over 16s fully vaccinated by the start of September.

Its absolutely spineless stuff not to let this go ahead and a reflection of the complete lack of ambition and ingenuity that our Government has shown with its reopening plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

With the least amount of respect I can muster so that it registers on my givashitometer, do one.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 orangeocelot

Very disappointing decision, although Laois county council didn't really have much of a choice other than to refuse it.

Staggering levels of incompetence from the govt though not having put plans in place for music events. 40,000 in Croke Park in a few weeks, yet only 500 allowed at a music festival?! Supposedly they are releasing a roadmap to reopen live events by the end of this month, but that's far too little too late in my opinion.

As others have mentioned, we'll have the entire adult population fully vaccinated by the end of Sept, so what are they waiting for? If EP can't go ahead this year with everyone fully vaccinated, then what's to say it will go ahead next year, or the year after for that matter?

Utterly utterly braindead decision. I really feel for anyone who works in the live events industry.

Luckily I'll be going to Reading at the end of this month (even though I'm not a big fan of the lineup, but that's another story!). Very interested to see how smoothly that runs as I haven't been keeping up with the other test events happening in the UK recently

/rant :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

The majority of all people 30-32 will be fully vaccinated by next week (Im 32 and got my 2nd jab last Saturday barely 3 weeks between each dose). Realisitically Catherine Martins reopening plan needs to a good one and implemented fairly quickly imo if they want to get the events industry back up and running.

I know it was mentioned not to get annoyed with the 40,000 in Croker for the GAA, for me the main thing that annoyed me was that they have some sort of road map to it reopening while gigs/festivals have had nothing, Again when it comes to Oct onwards with indoor gigs at that stage there should be no reason they cant get ahead as all adults (who want to be) will be done and you then also have the roll out to school kids which will help reduce any outbreaks. Plus a lot of offices will more than likely be running with more people in the office then usual, public transport busier etc. I understand we still need to be some what cautious but there comes a point when we have to live our lives and get back to normal.

Also if Benn did move it up North id 100% go (which I know is very slim), also I think the reason they are offering people free gig tickets is because there take up of vaccination has slowed down a bit so its more of an incentive.

I have The Offspring in Nov and honestly if I dont get to at least one gig before the end of the year I will lose the will to live ha

Snarky Snark Snark

In response to Orangeocelots "what's to say it will go ahead next year, or the year after for that matter?"

(i truely despise the cack handed quoting that's in place now)

Snarky Snark Snark

So do we shut this puppy down and start again OR do we leave it open and see how long a thread can get here?

We broke it the year before last, would be nice to try again.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

That was the year Richie hawtin blew my little brain off. Place was absolutely wedged

18 and 19 year old Neice and nephew are both 2 weeks after jab 1. Should be fully protected by end of this month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭patch

Ah sure leave it here so that we can speculate and moan for a while!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I don't think there is a thread post count anymore, I think thread is infinite, we use the same forum tech as Digital Spy and their threads go on forever. So probably just a thread title change needed.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Its not dead yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,138 ✭✭✭endainoz

Technically it isn't dead as of yet. Remember when Clare cc rejected the license for lisdoon in 03 I remember the news saying the decision could be appealed by high court. It matters little as the timeline was too tight so Aiken upped sticks and went for the RDS.

I can see FR doing something similar and moving venue for the next one, whenever that may be. Punchestown could indeed be an option. I do think Laois cc will live to regret this shortsightedness. Make no mistake, this is no a government decision regardless of whether restrictions will still be in place or not. This is a decision based on local councilors covering their own arse for votes just as it was in '03.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

I hate to be negative but a Northern Irish pal of mine living in Cambridge took his three kids to Latitude as he does every year. His two daughters tested positive a few days after. They're possibly in the twenty cases referred to though I think it's far more likely that there are a hell of a lot more cases and this will be referred to in another article in a few weeks. People left the Latitude site nine days ago and cases will be coming through for another few days. Hopefully I'm wrong and it remains a small number.

All pretty irrelevant anyway given the news from Laois today.

And if it moves to Punchestown, it will become the new Oxegen seeing as MCD is in there now.

Friday night of EP, 24 Sept. Nice space outside The Crane after they got rid of the car park. Any other Galwegian Picnic-heads welcome to join us.

• Advertisement

Does this invite extend to North Clare people?!

At this stage I'd be happy for a big budget Oxegen style with loads of tarmac and no more than 5 stages!

Can we restrict the government and NPHET bashing to other threads please. This is a music form. Personally, bar some clear errors at Xmas and elsewhere, I think both have done decent work and they're not responsible for the position we now find ourselves in.

Were non vaccinated people allowed to attend though? Like even with testing or whatever, they're not fully accurate so some may have fallen through the cracks....

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭HarryTheSpider

Ahh Double Balls

I just realised I was scheduled to work the weekend that the picnic was to happen. The other lads were going to arrange to cover my shifts, but there is no real need now.

So, I won't be going to a Festival and I will be working all weekend. \

Double Balls. 😥

• Advertisement

More so the media and propaganda from the likes of RTE News, Prime Time and Clair Byrne Show and the press that instilled the paranoia. Same Station that made the laughable EP coverage with no lessons learnt from past music programmes We need some proper opposition to argue them down and a TV station to show that side and balance. We need a new Vincent Browne.

I said 2nd jabs. People aged 34-37 were being done over the weekend in Citywest.

And yeah, I know they'll be vaccinated by the start of September, that's why I said "in about 4 weeks" for over 18s...

Well that's a pretty silly theory, given that they've continually loosened restrictions over the last few months, opened pubs for indoor drinking within the last fortnight, and there's a cabinet meeting in the next couple of weeks to agree on what further loosening of restrictions will happen in September.

There's loads of things we can do know that we couldn't do a month ago, or two months ago.

If they want to take our fun away, they're going a very strange way about it.

If the bad scenario that you're referring to turns up, you are correct in that they will say that there is precedent, even though, up to this point, they haven't referenced any of the positive outcomes from festivals across Europe as a whole. As the Smiths once said... spineless b st rds all!

Personally, I am raging that all my lack of confidence in them has come to pass.

I also feel extremely lucky... like Charlie Bucket, holding the golden ticket, heading to Green Man... without fear but with enthusiasm... many here should be feeling the same anticipation for our own country. It's phvking desperate what is happening.

Unlike NPHET, I think we should have a clear timeline around the Boards.ie timeline😔, I'm a bit raw still and can't not promise anysort of bashing.

Stage 1: Raw anger, **** everyone in Government and Laois CC.

Stage 2: Denial it's not over, appeal or venue change, watch case numbers.

Stage3: RAW anger when hopes in Stage 2 fail.

Stage 4: Acceptance of no festival, scruff creates a new thread.

Stage 5: Standby and watch every other industry, soccer/rugby, etc come back in full swing around or just after EP.

Stage 6: No automatic issue of new EP dates for 2022, which will fuel speculation in the new thread. And on....

I'm 100% ok with that as I'm in Newbridge 😂. Plus by Sept they could probably reduce the amount of vaccination/centres around the country so the likes of Punchestown could be one. Currently they wouldn't be able to run both because the they are using the areas where the 2nd stage and dance arena areas from oxegen for car parks etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Ridiculous decision tbh

Your first comment could have been worded better...

Any way, it's all too slow for a country that is four weeks ahead of its vaccination program, as outlined this week.

Also, some weeks back it was declared that into the future, health advice would bring forward the lessons learned from the things that were deemed to work, i.e. that some of the restrictions that are in place would become commonplace.

It wasn't as stringent as EP was planned to be. Seemingly NHS Lateral Flow Tests for non-vaccinated and they offered second vaccinations onsite for those who'd had their first. Evidence of a positive PCR test for Covid within 180 days also accepted. A relative mish-mash and undoubtedly some errors made. I'm pretty sure that FR here would have been far tighter.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Never in a million years was this happening, had a better chance last year even, when things were actually looser pre-vaccine.

Hot Press are saying Festival Republic are planning for legal action with regards to this decision.

Snarky Snark Snark

Dude, take it to the politics forum. When people start going on about media and propaganda etc.. it's not a good look here.

It's dead for the year, it's staying dead for the year. Those calling for it to be in the north, are ye out of yer f'ing minds?

It's a festival, is it needed at this stage? Yes, it would be f'ing great

Is it the end of the world we don't get it? No, no it's not.

Keep it in perspective, this thing has killed 4.25 million, it's not finished yet, assuming we don't get hammed with a vaccine buster variant then we will be free do do what we want next year. Cool the jets.

Dude was just trying to explain the mind set of the Laois politicians and fears in Stradbally, its fuelled by Irish TV. You know I'm a music man, I like nothing better than listening to and talking about mind blowing music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

FFS

That's all I have to say on the matter.

Snarky Snark Snark

I get that and I know you are, when I said it's not a good look here, it would just start a shitshow & trigger pile ons and that's really not needed here.

It's not you, it's how these things always spiral.

So on the lunatic Twitter corner of the internet, electric picnic is trending again. Apparently they are convinced that it was never going to go ahead and the announcement of vaccinated only entry was just a stunt to get young people to get the jab. My god what do you do with these people with their batsh1t crazy theories. Like it's been sold out for two years but don't let that get in the way of your theory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

We aren't going to be any more vaccinated next year than we are this year, so its clear to see why people are frustrated. Why is next year going to be safer?

Advertisement