Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road to Tokyo 2020 - Irish Olympic News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56,142 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Sunday morning 06:00 will be epic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

You need to be a little more assured is alright if you have the quality to do that!

Kellie will never out point to that extent. If she was able to she'd win unanimously. She doesn't want to win on close split. But is maxing out.

'When a referee is warning you (both them) 2/3 times to engage, you should realize that to win this fight, you need more.'

Better be cagey and level than well down early in the first round and lose going out gung ho.

Brilliant Kellie!

Tanya Watson finished 15th in her diving semi final. Missed out on the final later.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Happyhouse22

Well done Kellie - great win!

Is it just me or is the scoring/judging in amateur boxing very random?

Like unless you win quite comfortably it comes across to the uninformed observer to be quite a lottery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,279 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

If Kellie goes straight into this Brazilian fighter she will get beat easily.

She will have be clever and do what she is doing but maybe even upping it that 10-15%.

She is in a final and she has done it before, she can do it on Sunday.

Great to least have Silver anyway

That is the nature of a subjective sport.

It will always be like that. If rounds are competitive and close, then judges can agree and disagree

Yes. Movement and angles and sharp shooting throughout can win. Kellie has faster and better feet.

But she needs to land to win. Land, out, reset, engage. Plenty all around d movement. But make sure you are throwing and landing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Ferreira is seriously good so think Kellie going to need to up her game to challenge for gold i think. In one way, maybe not so bad it's not Potkonen as Kellie is 0-4 against her.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Natalya Coyle doing brilliantly in the fencing this morning as part of the modern pentathlon. Currently in fourth. I always thought she was a dark horse for a medal at these olympics but very little coverage in the media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Happyhouse22

Natalya Coyle currently third in the Modern Pentathlon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

very very strange .......

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

That omnium in the track cycling is very good to watch. Havent much of a clue whats going on during it, but it's very addictive.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

My brain is going to explode here trying to figure out wtf is going on.

The poor commentators don't sound much better!

Don't think the Irish fella is at the races at all (pardon the pun 🤣)

I love stuff like that which is unconventional even if I don't understand it. There's a team event they have at the world championships that's even more intricate and perplexing but sadly it's not an Olympic discipline.

Edit: I tell a lie as I just hear them talking about the madison which is back as an Olympic discipline again and is on Sunday. Will definitely tunein for that, great event.

Just saw the interview with Natalya Coyle .....

As much as I admire anyone who gets within an asses roar of the Olympics, I have an extra level of awe for the modern pentathlon guys.

To get to that level in five such disparate disciplines, including one where you have to master a horse, ffs!!! Off the scale!

And then to finish with combined running and shooting.... I have attempted to do a bit of running, and nearly died of it, and i do a bit of shooting and with no raised heart rate and no distractions it's bloody hard - but the two together??

RESPECT!!

+1. Remember seeing an interview with her about her training schedule and it was insane, dashing off here there and everywhere to fit all the various disciplines in and then trying to find time for rest and recovery. Just mind boggling when you think about it.

Utterly mind-boggling.

I mean, even the packing you'd have to do (yes, I'm a girl 🤣) - fencing clobber, running gear, horsey gear (not to mention the horse 😳), your swimming cozzie and a towel, and don't forget the gun....

You'd need a good list!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Good win from Kellie - fought the fight she needed to and got the bit of luck with the judges that Kurt Walker didn't get last week.

She'll need another tactical fight in the final, if she goes hell for leather into that Brazilian she'll get murdered out there - she looks like a serious fighter and took the Finn (that KH has always struggled against) apart. She'll need to try to make it a contrast of styles, draw the Brazilian in and use quick feet and counter punching to get the win. Even then it's a big ask though, the Brazilian will definitely be favourite going in.

However it's a silver at worst and a free shot at gold. I had her down for silver going in to the Olympics so she's in bonus territory here for me. Keeps the Olympics live for us right up to the last day of action as well, that's one of the last events to finish.

Maguire and Meadow going along well enough in the golf. Meadow in particular wasn't showing much form going in to this so that's very good going for her to be in the top 15 or so. Realistically will need two big rounds from one of them to get a medal but they're not out of it by any means. A lot of higher ranked golfers, including the two English entrants, really struggling out there. Hopefully they get to play the full 72 holes, they have Sunday as a reserve day if needed so hopefully the weather will have at least moved through by then.

Good first day from Natalya Coyle also, if she gets a good horse in the equestrian part of the event she might just have a chance.

For sure. I imagine it's mostly done at Abbottstown but i remember they used to do the shooting and fencing training out in ucd and what struck me about it was the relentless boredom of it. It was all about repetition, doing the same drills over and over, hour after hour. Just the sheer discipline and will power needed to master those skills is beyond imagining.

• Advertisement

What I like about Kellie is how she feels her way into a fight. Both getting warnings for lack of action mean nothing.

Sussing out an opponent's stance, not rushing in head long. When you're exceptional like KT you can take more risks, your speed and ability to fight anyway will get you through.

Even Katie didn't have it all her own way in the gold fight in London, level with Ochigava on 8pts going into the final round.

It's not as simple as going in and getting your shots away and your opponent not catching you.

If you get caught early through forcing it, all plans can go out the window. As Tyson used say 'everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth'.

Post edited by External Association on

• Registered Users Posts: 26,348 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Not sure why Downey was so bad by his own standards but hopefully he is just riding into form for the Madison

I get all this, but it's really simple: Action generally wins and impresses judges

Nobody is advocating she abandons her natural style and goes in reckless trying to wing punches from everywhere

In the final she will need to go win it, be more cleverly aggressive....

Chances are that she loses via her not being busy or committed enough anyway, so what is there to lose?

It's an olympic semi/final....make sure you don't come out sayin that you could have tried harder on offense....

Watching the Kellie fight i think it's obvious she wanted her opponent to come on to her more so she could counter and Seesondee did not want to fall into that trap and so it turned into a game of chess for a while. Second round was a bit slack but I thought she took enough control when she needed in the third to settle it.

Not sure there'll be any tactical issue in the final. The Brazilian from what I've seen looks straightforward, she'll plant and come forward and try to use her power and accuracy to score. Should suit Kellie well enough but big problem is going to be to stay clear of those punches. I think she's the underdog really but she won't mind that!

It's the trying harder on offense that would kill her. It's not action, it's visible clear punches that count.

She boxed in a manner that gave her the best option of winning, which she did.

In 1996 Francie Barrett tried to impress the judges with an an action style in his last fight. Looked great but he was been picked off with clean punches.

Francie didn't get it, in his RTE interview post fight he said 'i came here to box and he came here to dance'!

Kellie picked clear punches, notably her left jab to the side of the head. If she put more into offence she would have left herself vulnerable to a fast opponent. It's knowing your abilities.

Like a Gaelic football match v the Dubs in their prime, over commit to attack and they'll take you apart. There was no other method Kellie could have used to win that bout. She's 31, mature as a boxer.

Agree totally. You could see Kellie landed the few extra over her opponent in the 3rd.

Both cagey in the first as losing that round is a major drawback.

Also important in an Olympics to win fights while conserving energy and I think she's done that well. If she has to ditch the game plan and go to war at some point in the final, which I fear she might, then she's giving herself the best chance I think. It was something Katie did really well in her day.

Very true.

And semi finals in many sports are more tense than the final. The pressure is totally off Kellie. A silver is outstanding. Only Carruth and Taylor have done better since I started following the Olympics in 1980.

By action I mean punches that are thrown and landed....

She needs more punching output, whatever way she does this is up to her.

But sitting back crossing fingers and toes and doing the bare minimum offensively (because it's her style) is no use when the judges may go against you...

Not wild abandonment, recklessness....efficient ans committed and consistent shots.

This finals opponent is stronger, but not faster on her feet. Kellie needs to get the shots off more, and not wait and wait for her foe to make mistakes. Kellie needs to dictate the flow and the offense; she needs to start the exchanges more, and end them more. In and out and subtle clever movement, but LET THE HANDS GO!!!!

Otherwise her opponent will, and may well win it based of wanting to win it more on offense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,814 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

BBC co-commentator thought though the referee was harsh in keeping on insisting that they both engage. We've seen numerous Olympic bouts that were very tactical and cagey, almost like a chess match......it's actually not that unusual. You have to factor in that medal bouts aren't necessarily the most entertaining, there's a lot of pressure on.

Advertisement