Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has the 1 week downtime & move to vanilla killed this place?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

To Boards.ie webmasters...please bring back these features

*drop down menu with sub menus *search within forums *search within threads *my posts history *pop up window when hovering over thread title *current users at bottom of page

in short - like before

• Registered Users Posts: 14,284 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Loved browsing boards on my phone for the last 10 years, thats close to impossible now, when I go to the home page, I see the same few threads every day, Hungarian Grand Prix the last few days, find it close to impossible to browse effortlessly like before on my phone.

The desktop site is a little better, but when my laptop is out, I'm working.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,458 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Not mad on the new boards, but don't like Reddit all the fruit loops obsessed with SF, Leo, Micheál, all seem to have moved to Reddit maybe that is a good thing.

Reddit: Some Irish redditors are more equal than other Irish Redditors and let the Auto-Mods decide.

I have no idea why anyone would go on /r/ireland unless they wanted to talk about Ireland all the time. It's not a place for Irish people, it's just a place some Irish people might be interested in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,642 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Whatever about the current state of this place, Reddit absolutely sucks, just narcissists and upvote-whores. It's not a discussion site or anything like one.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

App hasn't been supported for years and didn't survive the changeover.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

OK so let's try it...

*clicks on Esel's username*

"Permission Problem

This user's profile is private."

D'oh. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 8,420 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

you keep saying this, or variations thereof.... its like an AH / CA/IMHO / whatever yer having yourself. I don't see why you wouldn't browse it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭-=al=-

I must admit the chicken goujon got my attention. Lunch time I guess!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭Esel

NM

Not your ornery onager

@Hotblack Desiato couldn't reply to your post via Quote for some reason.

Try another user. I made my profile private as a result of the e-mail leak issue - just in case.

Pretty sure I had to untick the "Allow other members to see your email?" box when I first edited my profile after the changeover too.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Its also impossible to navigate properly.

The structure is a mess.

Its fine for small forums but for larger ones its a complete mess.

Not getting at you Esel, just that if large numbers of users make their profiles private for whatever reason, a significant chunk of functionality is going to be lost. Can't PM them for instance.

Fair point. It was a bit of a knee jerk reaction on my part.

I thought someone said you could still PM a 'private' user though?

Maybe you could try PMing me?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Can a mod still PM a member with a “private” profile if they are issuing them a warning?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Gary Scrod

I'm new to boards.ie, this site is great. Well done whoever runs it.

How though? If I click on your name or your avatar I get nowhere.

This *may* work - go into your messages (envelope icon in your profile) and click the pen icon to compose a new message. Type my username into the recipient box and go from there?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,366 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I could try for you if I knew how to send a pm

Click the envelope icon on your profile, then the pen icon to compose a new message. Type the username into the Recipient box. This might work?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Three weeks in and no idea how to work this properly

Its a glimpse into early onset dementia

• Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭Tork

The re-emergence of PMs that people thought they'd long since deleted is pretty disturbing too. Boards used to have a load of "Talk To" forums (not so many now) and people would have communicated personal information over PM with the reps. So where has all those supposedly "deleted" information been for the last few years and is it now in the hands of Vanilla?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,366 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

PM received.

So, Private means your profile cannot be viewed, therefore a PM cannot be sent from that page.

PMs can still be sent to 'Private profile' users from your own Inbox as I outlined above.

That's either a feature or a bug... :)

Not your ornery onager

Jesus!!! This might be the one time your patented misuse of quotation marks may be apt.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭17togo

I was going to post a comment in another thread, so typed it up in the box at the bottom of the page. But then I decided against posting it so deleted the comment, but everytime I go back to that thread the comment I typed is still in the box waiting to be posted! Anyone else noticed this, or have a solution!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Gotta go into your “Drafts” and delete it there. Click on your avatar to get to it.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Advertisement