Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Katherine Zappone Envoy Gig

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Yeap, no laws changed by the AG... good to know.

Where is this stated in the guidelines.

A communion celebration with family and friends is no different to Zappone booking “an event”.

It seems outdoor gatherings or events or whatever you want to call them are limited to fifteen people or were, the Attorney General now says two hundred allowed.

Failte Ireland updating its guidelines as we speak, hospitality will be delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I'm not at all sure what your talking about, you lost me and others at 1am this morning.

At a glance through this mornings papers, it's clear more questions than answers have been achieved .

Not only is the RAI confused, the IHF and especially Failte Ireland confused, ALL now seeking clarification.

With regard to AG changing any laws, I'm not sure we're that came from, I've never said such a thing. What I did say is how very strange his previous silence and sudden (after a day of farce) and a few minute's before Leo releases his own statement, the AG who has been utterly silent previously, offers "clarifications" on the 200 rule. Previously you may recall (or not) government refused to release any info on AG"s advice.

But of course you digress, intending to focus on a deflection from the real story, namely the Bizzare makey uppy Job, The attempted appointment, the clear agenda that was at play, the farcical excuses offered, the lapses in memory of senior FG stalwarts, the daily drip of new and disturbing sequence of events only learned about through enquires by journalists, the disgraceful disregard for what is supposed to be a coalition, the arrogance and contempt shown to the electorate, etc, etc, the list is not exhaustive.

I'll stop there as I know my response may exhaust you further, now I recommend, some weetabix with WARM milk, to help settled your clearly agiated state.

Ultimately common sense and dare I say decency prevailed, but this is certainly NOT over 😏

Good morning

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

No a single Politican or indeed Katherine available for comment, interview, opinion or indeed excuses for Morning Ireland this morning. Gosh, everyone gone all silent again🙄

Perhaps a new special UN envoy for shyness might now be considered 🤔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Anyone seen this? Surely the AG wouldn't be trying a 3 card trick with this?

Post edited by McMurphy on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

It's been a good few days for Irish politics. More cronyism and govt frauds exposed again.

The AG"s intervention is raising quite a few eyebrows and apart from additional confusion, at a minimum questions need answering on the timing of his statement. It has all the Hallmarks of covering Leo's and others attendance at the faithful event. There's a strange smell lurking in political circles this morning 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Maybe the politicians are not allowed speak, bring back Katherine, she was right all along, 😁 we need freedom of speech.

David Cullinan SF on morning Ireland now, it will horrify some posters here 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭archfi

Yes, the ubiquitous silence from the AG on such matters being smashed to favour the most utterly self-regarding politician for decades (and that's saying something) needs looking at indepth.

Exposes the utter bullshít rules and the dearth of investigating same by the media.

Bumbling is not the word for going after the Church/populace over communions while their own rules apparently say differently once the in-circle needs a quick defence. I'm so tired of the slyness, the lying, the cronyism, the ineffectiveness, the falseness of them all.

A warning shot across the bow of all rational people in this country is the 'obvious' anointing by the Merchant of Cork of one such as Zappone as an envoy for Ireland's position on free speech, expression and opinion. Not good, not good at all, beware the harmless 'Hate Speech' laws coming up.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

So is that that on the party front? AG clarifying its within the rules and Failte Ireland etc. happy to update the guidelines accordingly.

Guess its back to Zappy and her 60Day/15k, probably equal to the daily overspend on the NCH..

Fun while it lasted.

O, I think you'll find the fun is only about to start 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Well surely the position must be advertised, since it was a very important job, or would you be thinking it was a made up role?

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mariab21

Ya.....it looks to me,the government have pulled the plug on covid restrictions to.save their arse

It started off claiming,they contacted the hotel to know was the event ok and by evening,they were publishing attorney general advice,to highlight the law was different to the published guidelines,what a jokeshop

If i was involved in a pub or restaurant,id be contacting my representive body to know,why they were being misled as regards the law

I suspect we'll hear absolutely nothing about any new appointment, the absurd notion will be buried, preferably in quick sand. Not even Coveney (and he has some brass neck) would be silly enough to continue with this charade 🤔

Part of me feels sorry for Donna Zappone. She may not be taking up this position, and it's understandable that there is some glee at the light that has been thrown on the way elements of the Irish establishment operate, but her 10% to the big guy will still be due, so she's going to have to hustle hard now.

All sorts of rumors flying around at the minute, and it's hard to know what to believe, but is it true that during an ecstatic moment at the back of the Dail Bar a few years ago Zappone saw the face of Karl Marx on a toasted sandwich?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,419 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I wouldn't be surprised if they "temporarily" assign this important role to an existing official in the UN office as they organise a competition (that doesn't happen).

• Advertisement

The wifes dusting off her CV as I type this vale. 🤞

LOL, from what's occurred so far, no CV required, just a wink and a nod 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,419 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Throughout the crisis, the AG hasn't covered himself in glory tbh. First international travel bans and mandatory hotel quarantine were impossible constitutionally until they weren't, now to providing clarification between law and guidelines because it's politically convenient.

I expect better.

I agree completely an oddly his intervention might have an unintended consequences, an absolute free for all as far as a certain cohort are concerned, I'll say no more 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

• Registered Users Posts: 69,167 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Quangos and dodgy appointments to made up jobs for a start. And how would we know if there was another Haughey...the question is, has anything changed since he was in power despite the Enda's etc promising 'new politics'

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As I mention yesterday, that's Failte's screw up (and possibly the civil servants who helped them with their leaflets). The Merrion Hotel knew it was allowed because they ignored Failte and read the actual rules. Failte excluded it from their leaflets.

Plenty of people in the hospitality sector have known for weeks that 200 were allowed outside.

Notwithstanding that there is a good chance that the Govt. didn't intend for any organised outdoor event up to 200 people to be allowed, it's clear as day on the government website, and in the legislation, and has been there for a few weeks.

The hospitality sector depends heavily on Failte and their own representative bodies for guidance on this stuff, so one has to ask why they didn't see this, or why they deliberately excluded it from the guidance.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Any minute now I expect them to say the lifting of the restriction was only for one day and that day happened to be the day of the dinner !! Absolutely hilarious carry on from everyone involved in this .They think we are all stupid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,167 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Advertisement