Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Littleredcar

Pulled out of a bidding war several weeks ago for 4 bed in beaumont at that stage it was 73,000 over asking . Got call from EA now to say that sake is not going ahead and if I am still interested . There were3 bidders on the house at that stage . I’m the meantime I’m bidding on another house 37 thorndale , older houses but bigger and north facing .

would I be better letting 4 bed in beaumont go back to market . I do think things have slowed last few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Jmc25

Has it? Genuinely asking because I'm starting to look again. I do actually seem to be get calls back this time and agents are more flexible with viewings.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 popeyed2

Thanks Woody22, it is reassuring to hear this is a general issue with PTSB atm.

Yes both the solicitor and the broker have been really helpful in pushing at every stage. And we are keeping the EA in the loop also, who has spoken to the vendor. Just seems as if PTSB are painstakingly slow with their broker mortgages anyway. Plenty of promises on their website of a fast turnaround etc., something about 72 hours?’ That makes me laugh, our AIP took nearly 6 weeks both times.

We have actually paid the 10% deposit and signed contracts with an Opt out clause subject to full approval letter by the 17th. We did this with advice and help from our solicitor to put the vendor at ease.

We love the house, there are not many like it and while we did pay well over asking in the end, I think it would be easy for the vendor to find another buyer. Just hope PTSB start to move a bit quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

thought its summer holiday period, tbh. where I live seen agencies looking for sellers for the "autumn" season ...

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Jasna1982

This may be a stupid question. But is the attic included in the calculation of sqm?

example: a lot of new 3-bed semis are 115sqm. I’m looking into one that’s the same, but includes a converted attic into the master bedroom. Im worried if other houses are 115sqm with only 2 floors counted, this will make a 2,5 floor house really narrow.

Am I looking at that wrong?

Use my Tesla referral link for free charging credits: https://www.tesla.com/referral/jasna121868

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Lonestar75

We've have been looking to buy since the beginning of the year and like most of you, extremely frustrated with how the market has been of late. One thing that has thrown a few curve balls is Bidding/Sale Agreed versus Sold. This has happened on a number of occasions, however, two in particular: House no.1 - For Sale €370k, informed at viewing, bidding at €420k. At top of budget, so cannot bid. Listing comes on Property Price Register, sold at €375k. House 2 - For Sale price €395k, check with EA at viewing, informed highest bid at time €430k. Sold and on Property Price Register €400k.

Are we missing a trick here?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

My understanding is that the floor area is usable, livable space. If the attic is converted then that would be included, if it isn't converted then it would not be included.

But did you check if these houses have been put back for sale again between sale agreed and sold ? been told the market is so unusual, many offers do get withdrawn, so could it be that there was a second bidding ?

For smaller differences than in your examples I can think of one reason for delta: in case a house is sold with contents that the buyer won't paye tax on if it listed sepparately - assume that delta won't appear on the property register ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

That's really interesting. Might be worth a call to the ombudsman. Isn't there a list of bidders that can be requested too?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 crashbang1

I'm in a similar situation with PTSB. The contact in the local branch told me they had asked for the loan pack to be issued to the solicitors on Friday the 23rd. It still hasn't happened. I know it's a funny time of year with holidays etc but what's the normal timeline?

• Advertisement

That answers my question as to whether it was just a delay with the broker/intermediary portion of their mortgage business. From my experience they are taking 10 working days for everything and resetting the clock everytime there is a new request. Would imagine by that logic, you will have your letter of offer issued by Monday 9th (taking into account the bank holiday). And we would receive same by the 11th. Fingers crossed.

Then the fun starts all over again with drawdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Lonestar75

Thank you very much for your responses. I haven't noticed any of these going sale agreed and then back on the market again in these individual circumstances, although it has happened around the area where we are looking. Watching the market like a hawk, especially around the areas we would prefer to purchase. The only thing I can think of is that in each of these cases we've been late out of the blocks on viewing/considering putting in an offer (this would be within a few days of going live). Because of this, by the time we get a look in, it's close/over our budget. This way we can never put in an honest bid. I would assume if we got in there first and fell by the wayside as the bidding increases, the EA could revert back to us, if the initial highest bidder(s) pulls out, but no chance if you join the race late. I suppose the old adage the early worm holds something in this regard.

I like the suggestion around getting a list of bidders, especially around properties we are interested in. Just wonder also is there a chance of any gazumping happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 crashbang1

I'd say you are right with your ten day turnaround. They came back to me this afternoon with some daft questions based on the valuers report, I think I've got them answered but will see....

Likely another 10 day reset. It has seemed to me at times that there is a policy to fire off questions at the 9/10 day mark to buy them time.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 CAMAC

I’m signing contracts for a 2nd hand property in a weeks time. Don’t have a closing date yet (not sure if it will be quick or if there will be more delays with the vendor trying to line it up with their buying). I have quotes and filled out applications for mortgage protection and home insurance and was advised to pass docs onto bank to speed up process but without a closing date I don’t see how I can get final docs to send. When do people normally pass these onto the bank or is there an understanding that you can pick a potential activation date for the policies and give that to the bank but update it if necessary? Just concerned as bank’s seem to have lots of delays and want to get ahead of this if possible

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭cintec

I had to get a Letter of indemnity for my house insurance and send it to the bank/broker. I only got the insurance after getting the closing date.

On the closing date at least for me I signed the contracts and my solicitor sent them to the vendor. When the vendor signed they also agreed a closing date, If you really want to get the ball moving you can ask you solicitor to request a closing date.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭brianc27

when i was doing this i knew i was close to finishing the deal so i just started the house insurance then and there, did the same with the mortgage protection, so basically started both about a month before closing, not sure if that is the way to do it but i just wanted it boxed off, didnt mind starting a bit early, was no issue with the banks.

i actually never got a formal close date, solicitor just kept saying we'll sort that when everything is boxed off, i wasnt 100% sure when i was moving in until the estate agent contacted me on the day.

Same with me. Once you have sufficient certainty that you will eventually close, just get them started, even if you pay for a few weeks that you don’t need. Like you, mine started about 5 or 6 weeks before I closed due to the closing delays

• Registered Users Posts: 45 CAMAC

Thanks all, I’ll get that stuff sorted so.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭brianc27

I was actually a bit worried when I got my mortgage protection policy cert as it stated the end date of the policy was also about a month before my mortgage would officially finish, but was no issue with the bank anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Jem123

We are trying to sell our house at the moment and it is definitely not going as planned. At least 3 similar properties have sold recently in the area and have gone for well over asking. We have had plenty of viewings and interest but not one offer to date. The EA has mentioned numerous interested viewers and some of those have left saying they are definitely making an offer then nothing comes of it. Very disheartening and we are not sure what to do now. Looks like we may be stuck here

Received offer letter today from PTSB by email from our broker. Will be a couple of days before the loan pack is received by our solicitor I am told. But at least there are no more questions. On the hunt for final documents now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,903 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Transferred our final balance to our solicitors, and should hit their account Thursday. Down to the banks now! Anyone know roughly how long this final part is taking? Waiting to hear back from our solicitor but dying to know when we can get our keys!

Anyone can share when is it a good idea to change EA from seller's point of view (is there a checklist) ?and what would it mean for the seller ?

Thanks.

• not sure about the one we're currently using anymore ... seems they're getting late for viewings by default, plus there are some other details I prefer not to list here but are not for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Wouldn't be so sure of that :) There are still checks between loan offer and actual draw down.

Yes, we have been asked to sign covid declaration forms and to gather recent payslips and bank statements to show evidence of income. And to show proof of funds. All these documents we have given a number of times now.

They are also looking for mortgage protection insurance and house insurance to be in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Jmc25

I am looking to buy at the moment having held off earlier in the year when everything was going way over asking. I may be in a similar boat to the "interested viewers" your agent is talking about!

Had my first viewing the other day after a few months break and the house was perfectly nice, nothing spectacular but nice area and not in need of any major renovation other than a bit of updating the decor, and there was one offer at asking after a month on the market which is a change from earlier in the year.

Debating now making a bid and capitalising on what might he a summer lull or waiting it out and seeing how the end of the year plays out - the asking is still 20/30k over what it might have gone for towards the end of last year.

Looking around where I live, there aren't too many "new" & "nice" options for second hand now after the summer break either; but could see some good few sale agreed-s from second half of July. Now I am getting used to the idea that going sale agreed in couple of weeks in here (as it happened to us in July) is just an expression of the volatility of the market, so not necessarily healthy.

Dunno if the money is drained, but not expecting prices for second hand would drop as soon; meanwhile, prices for new houses might still go up due to higher cost for building materials (dunno how frequent, heard about someone in work who had to fork extra money recently for this reason -> he's not even sure this is the last time the contractor would look for more, nor has any idea when the house would be finished ...)

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

Got the keys today after a long wait from the bank. Once funds were released it was very smooth, they hit our solicitor's account yesterday afternoon having been transferred that morning.

And now to move all our stuff again!

Best of luck to anyone still in the process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Dag12

I made a cash offer outbidding another party and owner still refused citing intention to sell at 20k abive advertised price. I am really puzzled why they just didn't advertise the price they want! Really frustrating, I hope as you guys say market slows down, and this seller learns his lesson.

Advertisement