Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Do you honestly think we will move away from vaccine certs for hospitality completely as we approach Christmas?

I just can’t see that happening myself. The public are on board for the most part, its cheap and self policed.

Obviously if community transmission levels plummet then it may happen but that doesn’t look likely either looking at other some countries with high vaccination uptake.

A few weeks ago some pro restrictions posters were saying that we just needed "A few more weeks" and we'd be back to normal.

All we had to do was increase the numbers vaccinated.

Now the talk is changing to lets get through the winter as many of us predicted it would.

Come 2022, there will likely be more reasons to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I love your optimism Seamus but not a hope in hell those restrictions will be gone by the end of autumn.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Would you put money on it?

We're soon to hit diminishing returns with our vaccine rollout, those who need protected are, and as time goes on and we edge toward winter the pressure on the health service will only increase (it happens every year prior to covid though).

Elderly people's antibodies will wane (allegedly) and need booster shots, so with all that in mind there is no way we go back to normal by start of Winter if we havent gotten there already. We should be back to normal right now - better vaccine rollout than the UK and most of Europe, yet a worse return to normal. If not now, when? And based on what criteria?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

The reality is that our health system is not fit for purpose with our growing population , if covid disappeared miraculously in the morning we would have restrictions in the winter when the corridors in the hospitals fill with trolleys due to flu season, we should be seeing plans for new hospitals by now but we aren't, there will be headlines about flu variants of one type or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Bar a dramatic shift in approach we will still have quite a few restrictions in place by then. With the really small changes that happen and the 6 weeks between these changes it's going to be a long road and we've no idea what the plan is for the next few rounds of easing.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,065 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I agree.

Just saying this is probably what the US are looking at.

Rising cases, ban em even if high vaccination levels.

Hospitalisations in the US are not mitigated by vaccination so much yet depending where you are in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

We will have 90%+ of adults vaccinated in the coming weeks and a fair few 12-15 year olds but that still isn't enough for things like the Dublin marathon or Electric Picnic or similar events to go ahead this year. I genuinely don't know at this stage what the end goal is but I also don't think we can have a rationale or mature debate in this country about living with Covid. You see people in the media and social media absolutely freaking out whenever a video or something emerges of people out enjoying themselves but, shock horror, might not have a mask on. Irish society and the government here are too immature to even have a measured discussion about living with Covid at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

That decision by the Laois co co to not grant EP a license was pure virtue signalling by each and everyone involved. Keeping people "safe" and all that BS. People don't need that anymore...they are vaccinated. It's about time the decision makers stopped putting "keeping people safe" at the top of the list and start helping people get back to living a **** life.

What was the harm in granting them the license on the condition of public health restrictions changing before the event was due to take place.

I am cringing every single day for the way this country is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The emergency legislation which underpins vaccine certs for indoor dining expires on 9th October and can be extended for a single period of 3 months if both the seanad and the dail approve it.

Am I absolutely certain they wouldn't? Of course not. Am I fairly confident they won't? Yep. At that stage, there is no platform on which to justify it.

All restrictions up to now have been on the fact that they are temporary to achieve a goal. Last April, naively: lockdown and restrict until it goes away. September: lock down and restrict and see what hope vaccines offer. January: Restrict to reduce virus spread, maintained until the vaccination programme hits a proper level.

By October, we've shot our load, exhausted our ammo. There is no "just until". If the vaccination programme isn't good enough, there is no silver lining on the horizon. Continue restrictions for what? Until we find some magic beans?

We can't and we won't just wait out the pandemic indefinitely. There will not be another round of, "Lets just wait until everyone's had their booster", people won't accept it. "We need to lock down until January to protect the hospitals". Then what? What will magically change in January? Nothing. People won't accept it.

Infection numbers are high and hospital numbers are low. It's there plain as day for all to see. Restrictions are only going one way.

Nobody said that we would be ' back to normal in 3 weeks'!

We are ' returning to normal' as seamus has said above.

Pubs opening, indoor dining, larger crowds allowed to gather, travel, albeit with precautions that are not exclusive to Ireland, as I think those extolling the virtues of UK know.

Anyone that is expecting Ireland to drop all restrictions like the UK which has frankly been an outlier in this pandemic for the rash handling throughout, is either very deluded or disingenuous.

Ireland is in the EU and we are following a path along those lines, not the UK.

Annoying you can't try on clothes in a shop..or have to produce evidence of vaccination at the door.. . 🙄

I sincerely doubt once we have gotten to the end of our mass vaccination that we will need those restrictions.

Boosters to elderly and vulnerable will not be delaying reopening as they will probably be yearly or biannual events for this cohort.

And it will go back to the past situation of the vulnerable protecting themselves once the population in the main is vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭User1998

Me and my mates had planned to go to Malta only to discover they don’t accept negative PCR tests. I’m early 20’s so I haven’t gotten my second vaccine yet but most of my mates managed to get J&J. So here I am unable to travel

• Registered Users Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭User1998

We were told in March 2020 that we would be back to normal in 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

And not forgetting the amazing progress last night that apparently we can have outdoor social gatherings of up to 200 people ! Who knew !!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Right. So you're angry that governments don't have a crystal ball then.

Or, do you think that when something is said it must be absolutely adhered to, 100% no matter what new information or threats appear in the meantime?

Is that in the back garden?

Would struggle to fit 25 in mine 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭brickster69

"Ireland is in the EU and we are following a path along those lines, not the UK."

Nail on the head at last!

One question, if the other EU countries went the same path as the UK did would you be happy for Ireland follow ?

Another question is what happens if the UK strategy is the right one and the other countries are taking the wrong one, are you still be happy to go that route ?

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

I do get why @User1998 and others in the younger age groups are pissed off.

It is true to say that the opening up so far has been in the favour of the ' less social' among us with venues like concerts gigs and nightclubs not back... Yet.

But it will come back.. Soon I hope because have a few concerts coming up! 😉

We're not on the same path as the EU. What other EU country actively discourages the use of antigen tests (a prominent NPHET member called them snake oil) or won't even allow the use of any tests to access indoor hospitality etc? 140,000 people at the Austrian GP a couple of weeks ago and similar in Hungary last week. Meanwhile we are limited to 500 at any outdoor event unless you can lobby the government to get put on a "pilot" list of events. We can't hold the Dublin marathon in October even though 90%+ percent of adults will be vaccinated by then. We're on a very different path I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Try The Merrion I believe they have loads of room !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Well with EP and the Dublin marathon being cancelled, I wouldnt get your hopes up for anything in 2021

Hungary, eh yeh.

We are not on the same path as them, thank fvck!

Why pick out that and ignore Austria and other countries that have and will host large scale events (including the Euros) as normal? You also ignored that we are the only country in the EU actively discouraging the use of antigen testing and don't allow tests as part of domestic Covid passes. Nice cherry picking though, it must be a coping strategy. You said we are following the EU, but you just dismiss the EU countries you don't like 😂😂

Have to say am gutted as while I had a ticket I gave it to on my progeny saying that it would definitely be on, get your jabs done quick and you'll be grand.

Especially as it was pushed to end of September.. What more can or did the organisers do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Ha unlike you I don’t need validation from external sources. You should see the amount of down votes I get on Reddit.

NPHET are a failed quango, been saying it for over a year now. Totally incompetent. Just because people are now starting to realise that Tony & Philip & Co mishandled it, doesn’t mean I was wrong earlier.

While Boris has screwed up most of the pandemic response, I believe he is 100% correct in his “if not now, when?” approach to relaxing restrictions and eliminating social distancing etc

Ignoring the inconvenient points again I see that don't align with your world view. 🙂

The Austrians handled it well but not with caution thrown to the winds as you suggest. There was testing and testing again and restricted access to viewing stands that could not safely be managed.

See the links below.

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/12022886/how-f1-returned-and-adapted-at-austrian-gp-rachel-brookes-diary

The euros not so, as we all witnessed the scenes of the wonderful English football fans a few weeks back.

• Advertisement

"If not now, when"? " was just a populist statement coming up to the Euros.

Other more responsible leaders have said, ' not now but soon when we have more people vaccinated'.

I am so glad not to be in the UK or having to work in the NHS for the last year.

They have had a extremely difficult time there and to have a silly populist buffoon at the helm has been a nightmare.

Weak as our guy is, he's got more commonsense than that idiot

Advertisement