Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Katherine Zappone Envoy Gig

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52,012 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Dermot Morgan died way too young.

Scrap Saturday would have been brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

What level of corruption are you comfortable with ? Surely none is the aim here, no ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,252 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Agree broadly Francie, a lot of 'do as I say' and not 'do as I do' - bunch of self serving hypocrites when it suits them.

Problem is that there is no realistic alternative. The prospect of having the Shinners in power is just unthinkable. What they'd be up to would put the current lot in the ha'penny place and be hugely destabilising to peace and progress in this Republic. No one who lived through the latter decades of the last century could contemplate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,169 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Not prepared to change...put up with it so, you are enabling it.

That is what I accepted after 2016 GE.

I enable this if I continue voting FOR it.

*I can stop voting for any party that engages in it BTW. That will be my 'contract' with SF or any alternative I vote for in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

@EdHoven wrote:

How or why that was changed to hotel in S.I.329 4 July is the big mystery.

It wasn't changed, that's the thing. Before S.I. 329 (from 7th June) you could organise an outdoor event for 100 people - including in an hotel - but this was apparently very downplayed or not even talked about.

The mistake made here at the very start was that "relevant venue" was defined to permit an upper limit for larger venues, but for events with a smaller attendance, they failed to specify any restrictions on where such events could be held. This worked fine because hotels were functionally prohibited from permitting guests who were not engaged in essential work, so they couldn't host events anyway.

When hotels were once again permitted to allow members of the public in for outdoor services (on 7th June), it so happened by quirk that they could also host outdoor events because the law specifically allowed for it.

This is the pitfall you hit when you legislate in haste, to a certain extent we have to accept it as a necessary consequence in extraordinary times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I think it was a throwaway line, not a serious legal statement.

That's the Kerry Mafia silenced on the issue.

Who's next I wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,503 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

This story keeps growing legs. It's fascinating really.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mariab21

Your praying Sinn Fein had a party, just admit it.

Unlike some posters here who are obsessed with Varadkar, I'm not obsessed with Sinn Fein. This is a thread about Zappone & FG. Why are you bringing up Sinn Fein?

Any road, I would expect in this case that SF & PBP probably have the cleanest noses on this, not least because they move in different circles.

I'm just pointing out that the more that gets drip-fed out here, the more the story remains about covid and not corruption, and the more people lose the ability to preach about the moral high ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

They may just have one when this debacle over 🤣🤣

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

But is this not meant for outdoor arenas ie in the case of sports and music etc.

It goes on to talk about venues for 500 people and capacity for 5,000.

If I read this I wouldnt think it was referring to hotels who mainly provide indoor accomodation, I would see it as two different beasts.

The Hospitality trade presumably were dealt with under a different section of the guidelines and I understood gatherings outside were were to be for no more than fifteen people. If the hotel is full to capacity indoors how is it safe to hold gatherings of up to two hundred outside, what toilet facilities would these people use and how many hotels would have enough outdoor space to accomodate two hundred outdoors. They cant even get enough staff to work indoors.

If it was as clear as day how come Failte Ireland are meeting with the Government to establish clarity on this matter.

I think the whole thing stinks but we get the politicans we deserve.

YThe small little people who enjoy their golf have been barred from their sport for months on end, they had to sit in their carparks until a week ago to have a cup of tea after walking around the golf course for four hours, some of these people are int heir seventies.

Meanwhile those who impose these unpleasant limits are in the Merrion Hotel at a bash for fifty people, heads do need to roll over this, we are all being made mugs of.

Why are you bringing up the Healy Raes?

Look seamus, your attempt to show FG as Masters of The Universe in all of this has been found out.

They aren't, they have been desperately trying to put a lid on this from the failed attempt to slip in a makey up appointment on the last day of term.

They aren't getting away with that any more, as Katherine's demise has shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Hilarious. You are saying if there is any corruption then it doesn't matter the level, even it is minor.

Therefore, Ireland, Denmark, or Norway is as corrupt as Nigeria, Iraq, or Venzeualla.

It's logic of populist fraudsters.

Ideally none, but we live in an imperfect world, with imperfect humans. Sure, look at the SF printer guy for example?

What you can do is measure it, and see what the trend is.

Ireland is less corrupt than it was. Anyone who says otherwise is a populist liar and fraudster.

Look, you can disagree if you like. On the day that it became known that Varadkar had in fact met and talked Zappone in advance of her dodgy job offer, that bombshell got absolutely buried by irrelevant Joe Duffy-ing about an outdoor event. And over the course of the day, information slowly kept getting drip-fed out about it, other parties implicated, "what are the real restrictions and are the politicians ignoring them" has become the talking point of the day.

You can choose to believe that's just an amazing coincidence if you like.

On any other day, if it had been leaked - by Philp Ryan - that Sinn Fein had held an outdoor event, you would be front and centre claiming that this is a deflection job, FG and their media stooges trying to change the story.

But in this case you have decided that cannot be the case, even though it is obvious to anyone watching objectively that the narrative is being dragged that way. Journalists are completely ignoring the fact that the event was legal and within guidelines and instead continuing to bang on about it, and dragging other politicians into the frenzy. Like Healy-Rae.

You need to pick a lane. Politicians either engage in spin or they don't. And if you believe that Philip Ryan is an anti-SF FG stooge then your alarm bells should have started ringing immediately yesterday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

If only people getting married knew that social outdoor gatherings were allowed . So they could have had a marquee outside and invite 200 people instead of 50 indoors . Its going to take off now with Communions , Birthdays, Random celebrations , etc and not a blessed thing to stop it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

No one goes to fooking jail here that's the problem

The idea that FG are behind this in an over arching way is fantasy seamus. They aren't.

It really deosnt matter?,corruption is corruption

We pay a fcukton of tax,and likely more into the future,the bare minimum we should expect is no corruption and everyone do best,with minimum mistakes

I struggle to see,whats wrong in wanting reasonable standreds in public office?

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Minister getting his ar$e handed to him on News at one now. So much contradictions because the politicians got caught out.

Colm Brophy the first or one of the first FG public representatives to come out on the airwaves, just finishing on Bryan Dobson on RTE radio one now. Playing “dodgeball political style” tactics to any difficult questions he faced. BS and waffle again from another govt public representative, ditto Leo V, Niall Collins and now Brophy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I don't see you focusing on Dara Murphy or Michelle Mulherins or Maria Bailey who cost the taxpayer a fortune with dodgy expenses. They lead by example. Alan Farrell was another one.

For example, has Murphy paid back the dodgy expenses?

Didn't FG spend 2 million on a printer that couldn't fit into the Dail?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Absolutely handed to him and it will continue on both the sleazy appointment and the gathering fronts

Of course this was a part of their cunning Blackadderian plan. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Yep. All we need now, is for a minister to be caught smoking a doobie, or snorting coke off a hookers cleavage, and it's party time for all!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Colm Brophy (is he the best spokesman the Govt could provide?) givng a masterclass in bulsh1tting, spoofing and obfuscating on News at One on RTE just there. Managed to provide negative clarity. Apparently the regulationare are clear, but the guidance not so much 🙄

That isn't what he is saying, he is saying that the leak about the number of people allowed outdoors was a way to get journalists off the scent about other things.

It is a fair point. Like the issue about outdoor events has been law for a while now. Not only did the HFI fluff their lines, so did every journalist in the land, who actually didn't look at the fecking legislation, nor did any opposition TD.

Now, weeks after the fact, it is a 'surprise'.....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Colm Brophy is quite the buffoon, his background is actually in Hospitality. He's normally sent out to bat when those who need to answer difficult questions, hide like coward's

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

So everyone in the country was wrong except FG. The arrogance knows no bounds.

• Advertisement

The minimum we expect is zero corruption because we pay tax.... riiiiiight!

Where in the world does this made-up 'rule' apply?

You are putting down an impossible benchmark that no country currently adheres to and jumping up and down like a bold child because there aren't infinite sweats at home!

Advertisement