Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shops refusing to accept cash

Comments

Saying that you're incapable of using them does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,500 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Corona virus is one of the biggest things the world has had to face in recent times. People dying from it and people and businesses having to adapt. So you say not legal and use words like indirect discrimination because some shop told you to use your card.

Get over yourself Big gerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

I don't know anyone who has died from covid but I know at least 2 people who have died from cancer in the past year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I'm not disagreeing with you but just to point out that it's illegal in many states in the US to refuse to except cash in retail outlets. It has been made illegal because cards only discriminates against poorer people in the states who don't have bank accounts.

I stopped excepting cards almost 2 years ago. The fees are scandalous for small business. I can tax & insure my van with what I was paying per year in card fees. Cheques work out cheaper for me as my average transaction is 300 to 600. Bank transfer is cheaper. Revolut is free as is cash. Cards aren't the one fit all payment method that some people think they are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Sum Up would be the most expensive merchant service.

Cash notes lodgements is 0.45% in banks and coins 2%. The Post Office doesn't operate business accounts

Merchant fees for debit cards can be had for as low as 0.2% and any retailer paying more than 0.4% needs to negotiate. Credit cards are 0.4% - 0.7% in most cases.

So most businesses would far prefer cards than cash because its secure and its in your bank account the next working day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I'd disagree. Over 80's who are still living independently are well able to use smartphones. My mum is 88 and has been playing bridge on zoom (most other players are 70+) and uses whatsapp. I thought it was unusual for someone of that age, but seems all her friends use it too and most of them are in similar age bracket.

I'm also involved in two local community groups and we'd have a few 70+ and 80+ in the groups and they have no issue with zoom or whatsapp either and well able to pay their financial contribution online. Never assume anything when it comes to our elders - remember they have the time to learn!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Well that's why the state is pretty keen on pushing the cashless economy. Once income goes through an account, hard to avoid taxes on it. Banks like it too, guaranteed fees.

What is odd are the few state bodies that decline cash payments because of Covid but who don't provide card payment facilities. Case of do as I say but we'll ignore it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Well, the poster thought about it and came up with a scenario where cash would be cheaper for them than card payments IF they lodged it at the post office. So I asked if they actually use the post office for their business account or if its just a hypothetical, but not realistic. scenario.

Simple enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,090 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Responding to your first paragraph:

5% of adults do not have bank accounts, according to this: http://newslab.ie/ddjucd/meet-the-unbanked-who-is-irelands-financially-excluded/

That may not sound like much, but 5% of, say 3 million is still a lot of people.

Fwiw I live with one of them. He is self-employed, works for cash only. Believes that banks only rip poor people off. He does have a credit union account, and since recent changes that they made, could get a debit card from them. But he doesn't want one.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Agreed and thanks so much for pointing it out.... I'm not carrying cash very often and I think I must of dropped it when checking my wallet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭CaboRoig

Around a year ago, I was passing through Tullamore and stopped off in a garage I had never been in before in my life. Threw €40 of diesel into the car and went in to pay. Hand your man the card and no luck. The system is down he says. Waited a few minutes and no change. Right says I, what are we going to do here? No cash on me bar a few coins in the car. No ATM in the shop.

As it happened I had a relic of the past in the glovebox of the car - a cheque book no less! I asked your man would he take the cheque, gave him my name and number and all worked out. I offered to go locate an ATM and come back with cash but he was happy enough to go with it. Probably be the last cheque I'll ever use.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

It was 20 fúcking Euro for a basic haircut, they're making more than enough money off the transaction already. They're the only barber walkable from my place so I'll stick with them but if I had a choice I'd pick somewhere that took cards just for the convenience of it (ignoring any potential tax issues the place might have), like many people would. If you refuse to take cards you will lose out in the long run as more of the cash only customers start to die out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭1874

Alright, calm down, no need for the expletives.

Id say you dont really know how much profit they are making/what their overheads are, they might barely be breaking even or it could be very lucrative. I've often wondered with barbers myself, on the one hand it's relatively cheap for blokes compared to women on the face of it. BUT blokes are mostly/usually fairly simple haircuts, in and out quick (high turnover) and not as likely to complain.

Again, BUT it isn't always like that every day of the week (and certainly not for the last year). You wont see many places with a mans back and sides haircut for under €14, so that still has the potential to make it sound lucrative.

So, I'd say putting anything in brackets about tax, isn't really ignoring it, you still vote with your feet and choose them for convenience even though they are priced higher (imo) than the average mans haircut. I think it's unreasonable to insinuate they are avoiding tax or milking it.

Not having a card system for payments, to me is the fact that it eats up a percent of the cost and it makes the business more competitive as they dont have to pass that cost on. I don't agree with your assertion that businesses will lose out in the longrun if they dont provide a card payment service as most people know many barbers and other businesses dont provide that facility and most people themselves still want to retain access to their money physically to purchase what they want if they decide to. You have confirmed this yourself in that you went to the place for convenience, so that clearly was more important to you than travelling further to somewhere that has a card facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Why do people automatically think all places that take only cash are on the take. Just because you are paying by card does not mean a place is tax compliant. The Revenue do not decide tax by what is in the bank but by returns a shop does and the occasional audit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

You (generally) take cash to a race meeting. ( for betting). the pay out is usually cash ( if you are lucky enough to back a winner)

My oil supplier usually wants cash

The church collection is usually cash.

Tips (ie. For delivery's) are cash

I use both depending on purchase.

I would hate for cash to disappear completely.

Fwiw. my plumber takes cash. Not a chance he's paying tax on it all but do I care?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

sorry i know that might not be the case, but that screams of tax dodging to me

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Nor should you care, if he does you a discount then why wouldn't you pay cash, in the real world its very seldom I'd price a job where I wouldn't be asked to give a cash price, it's only ever on boards I see an aversion to cash and the pretend moral high ground people take because they think it somehow makes them look like a better citizen, I've never come across a job where people prefer to pay more if they can save a few bob by paying cash and that includes government employees, self employed and any other job you can think of.

I think that anyone on here pontificating about tax dodgers must be just jealous they can't stick a few sneaky quid away for a holiday or a night out and so think everyone should tow the line like themselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Scotty #

I pay for everything now with my watch. I love the convenience. I've €30 in my wallet and I'd say it's been there 18 months now. Soon we'll be paying for everything with a swipe of our fingerprint. The sooner the better in my opinion.

You’d want a consumer database with your fingerprint?

Loads of people don't mind giving away that kind of information. When you think of how people unlock their phone with their fingerprint, or their face print. And lots of people give away their DNA to find out about their ancestry. Drawing the line at how you pay for your litre of milk in tesco is pretty arbitrary.

There might be some terrible consequences of switching to primarily using cashless transactions, but there just isn't enough evidence to stop people from doing it. I've heard claims that 5G masts will have terrible consequences for society, but I've never seen any actually evidence for those claims so we call them conspiracy theories. What makes the claims about the consequences of primarily cashless society different form a conspiracy theory?

Post edited by El_Duderino 09 on

• Advertisement

Can you see the difference between you using your fingerprint to unlock your phone, and a consumer database which retains copies of your prints? I doubt there would be too many consequences of withdrawing cash from use in society, but I’d still like the choice to be able to use it when I want. Personally I don’t mind shops that refuse to take cash, or cards for that matter, it’s their choice, just as it is the consumers right not to purchase there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

What's a shop going to do with your finger print if anything your phone could be worse depending how it's stored. In saying that never paid with anything using my fringerprint in a shop

Depends on what the fingerprint is used for. I use my fingerprint to unlock my phone. I agreed to the user agreement conditions and I can safely say I have no idea what it contained, do you? Does anyone read the user agreements?

We've all been greeing to user agreements for years and I've never had any negative affects so far. So I suppose I've no evidence that there's a serious difference between the two.

Is there a big difference between the two in terms of consequences?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,716 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

We're already a largely cashless society. If you track how much of your expenditure is in cash as a percentage of your total expenditure, you'll find its very small - largely just corner shop purchases. If you're one of the small minority of people who still make regular large transactions in cash, don't imagine that this ensures your privacy or helps you to fly below the radar; you'll stand out because you're [i]not[/i] making the volume of card or electronic transactions that would be expected. By sticking with cash you can probably keep The Man from knowing that you like a large latte with chocolate sprinkles, but, honestly, don't rely on it to conceal much more than that.

Since the beginning of the pandemic my barber only accepts cash, “card machine out of order “ sign in the window, for year and a half now,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,707 ✭✭✭whippet

Reminds me of my barber when I was a young fella .. had the stereo playing in the corner and a label on it to say 'For Sale £299' ... apparently it was to fool the IMRO lads going around looking for music license fees !

the reality is that as a society the Irish sort of accept a level of black market and cash in hand transactions ... even if in the long run it will affect supports and services for everyone

Again, your assumption is that there are nefarious reasons for wanting to use cash, or worse, paranoia about The Man watching what you are buying. Some people like to use, and receive cash, most are not criminals, nor worried about who knows what coffee they like.

Oh, sure. But if their preference for cash is not driven by some pressing concern (whether that's privacy, or tax, or something else) and is no more than an arbitrary preference for paper over plastic, or whatever, then they are not especially disadvantaged by having to use plastic rather than paper; it's no more than a mild bother to them.

This kind of development happens all the time. I might at one time have preferred not to have to carry (or pay for) a mobile phone, but the virtual disappearance of payphones eventually left me with no choice. As a student I travelled extensively (and cheaply) in Europe on long-distance night trains; very few of these services run now. Etc, etc.

So, yeah. If enough people prefer cards to cash - and "people' here includes not just customers but also businesses, banks and governments - then the facilities for using cash will get fewer and fewer, and less and less convenient. The question we need to ask ourselves is, is there anybody who is significantly disadvantaged by this? Not disadvantaged as in "I just prefer cash, and I'm sad that the people I deal with don't", but disadvantaged as in, "this creates non-trivial problems for me".

The obvious category of disadvantaged people is those already excluded from the banking system. Try opening a bank account if you don't have a home address, a couple of utility bills and a driving licence or passport. And then ask yourself how, e.g., the homeless and the transient fare in a world without cash.

Has anyone explained good reasons to oppose mostly cashless transactions that hasn't been about The Man knowing what you spend your money on or having some cash to evade tax?

The point about the homeless is fair. They face similar problems when it comes to applying for benefits. I've heard about charities who work to help them with that problem.

Post edited by El_Duderino 09 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Consumer database? You're simplifying it too much.

Your bank/card issuer would at some stage convert your print into a checksum (a long sequence of digits). When you pay using your print the terminal checks these two numbers against each other much like your PIN currently works but instead of 4 digits it's 64 or 128 or whatever.

This checksum is unique to your Bank/card issuer so if someone stole the data, it would be the very same as them stealing your card info, nothing more. You would have a different checksum for your home security system, starting your car, unlocking your computer, clocking in at work, boarding a flight, and so on and so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

The fees are scandalous?

I use Sum up like a lot of people,1.69%,how much do you think they should charge?

Finland is virtually cashless, their Government recently had to run ads in the media warning residents about increased debt levels associated with card/phone payments.

As I stated, I don’t oppose card payments, I do oppose the EU/State telling me I can’t use cash at all. I simply don’t get this suspicion that anyone who wants to use cash, in large or small quantities must do so to avoid tax, buy drugs etc. To me, that’s about as logical as thinking that all solicitors dip into their client accounts for their own use, just because they can/some do. It’s paranoia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

AIB charge 2% on coin lodgements, so that doesn't sound too bad for a small business, potentially a saving.

Save your outrage. Neither the EU nor the State is proposing to tell you that you can't use cash at all.

What is under consideration - no decision has been taken one way or the other - is a directive prohibiting cash in transactions of €10,000 or more, as part of a package of anti money-laundering measures. This isn't based on an assumption that anyone using cash in high-value transactions is doing so for money-laundering purposes; more on a recognition of the fact that high-value cash transactions are a technique that money-launderers frequently use. The implicit calculation behind the proposal is that any inconvenience to the "legitimate" users of cash in high-value transactions is justified by the impact the measure will have on money-laundering

Well, posters in this thread have said they like cash so they can evade tax. So while I don't assume ALL cash is used in tax evasion, cash is the most common method of tax evasion.

Has the EU/State told you you can't use cash?

• Advertisement

There you go again making unfounded assumptions, there is no outrage, it is an opinion/preference. My response was to your speculation that the preference for using cash, even in large amounts, in some way indicates criminality.

I think you're ignoring what that poster and I both said about cash. Not all cash transactions involve tax evasion or money laundering, but most tax evasion and money laundering require cash transactions.

Well revolut is free. I pay a smaller fee lodging a cheque than the card fee. I pay a smaller fee again to get a client to bank transfer the payment to me. Cash is the cheapest option for me because I use it to pay my suppliers. I can lodge cash into my credit card account without fees. I can also lodge cheques into my card account free of charge. Cards are the most expensive way I can take payment. This is why I no longer take cards but am happy to take cash, cheque, revolut or regular bank transfer. I'm saving over €1k per year since I got rid of the card machine

If it was 1.69% of my profit or service charge I wouldn't mind but I can buy a shower for €600 & supply & fit it for €700 or €750. The tiny 1.69% you talk about takes 10 to 15% of my service charge/ wages because I'm paying it on a shower I make no profit on. It does not make any sense for me to throw this money away in such a fashion

Not all solicitors steal from their clients, those that do often steal their money held in their client account. Do you ban all solicitors from holding clients money in their accounts? Of course not, because we like to think most are honest.

The topic of this thread is a shop refusing cash, if you or I don’t like that, we have a choice to shop elsewhere. As cash remains legal to hold and spend, personally, I don’t like anyone telling me how much of it I can spend and with whom, as long as what I am purchasing is not illegal. I also think it is just as absurd to assume that as cash is the method of choice for criminals, anyone who wants to use it, even in large amounts, must be up to no good, as it would be to assume solicitors can’t be trusted with clients money, just because a few steal it.

Fair enough if this works for you.

In my case I'm taking 7 -10 payments a day and almost all of them hand me a card.It would be bad for business and unprofessional of me to start telling them about Revolout.

When I'm out and about I generally only use card,I dont have a wallet anymore.I don't have particularly strong views on it,it's just handier for me.I did leave a shop a few weeks ago and put the item back in the shelf as they were cash only,i went to the next shop and bought it instead.I also had to leave a restaraunt and go to an atm to get cash to pay,I didn't leave a tip whereas I would normally.There is no excuse to not be able to take card in these places,I accept it might be different in your business.

As regards the dodging tax issue I can only talk about my own situation and friends who run small businesses. Any cash I take goes straight in my pocket or is used to pay a lad here and there cash in hand.

In fairness it's worth pointing out that I visit your home by appointment. Usually made the day before. Payment is usually discussed on the phone.You would have an exact quote. I don't push for cash. Anyone thinking I'm fiddling the books are usually reassured when I offer bank transfer. Everyone gets a VAT receipt so at the end of the day they know everything is above board. I'm happy for any type of payment except card or Paypal.

You should look into Revolut. Over One Million adults in Ireland has a Revolut account. Free & instant transfers.

Yes I have Revolut myself,you need it in the pub these days as everything seems to go on one person's card!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

That's right stopped everyone paying parking fines in pennies haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

After seeing the title this came to my mind, I have been caught recently where loads of places are going cash only - clearly the tax man isn't on their good side.

Don't think I have ever really had an issue either way.

• Advertisement

There you go again, making unfounded assumptions. I never speculated that "the preference for using cash, even in large amounts, in some way indicates criminality". I explicitly said the very opposite in my post which you quoted.

If it wasn't outrage that made you leap to that unfounded conclusion rather than simply read what I wrote, what was it?

Post edited by Peregrinus on

Advertisement