Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

I don’t disagree with you in terms of the past. But the current sentiment toward reopening is the right one and I wish Ireland would follow (now that our leaders are boasting about having a higher vaccination rate). Instead we are being allowed 200 people outside!

we have diminishing returns now on vaccinations. And it’s the summer and schools are out. So I would agree with that statement, whatever context it was made

• Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

So if the Austrians can and have done it, why can't we organise EP or the Dublin marathon in c. 2 months time? I suppose in Ireland we frown upon antigen testing so it wouldn't be a runner here due to NPHETs anti science stance on antigen testing.

Also what was the level of cases out of the euros and how many died etc?

Post edited by namloc1980 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Which leaders have said restrictions will be gone soon ? Any here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

We really weren't. Leo hoped it would be for six weeks and it was about 8 weeks when we began easing things. Granted it took two months for it to unwind.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,065 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Not a direct quote just paraphrasing and generalising which is in reply to the type of posts that have been spewing forth here in the last few days.

• Advertisement

The only issue is that nobody has said what the way out is and when . It's all very vague .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,065 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

From the noises they have been making, an announcement is likely this month. My guess is towards the end of this month.

I haven't been watching much news lately so haven't picked up on it . I see the vaccine portal is opening for 12-15 year olds soon . So without sending like Boris if we cant in 4 weeks when can we ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Why is NPHET so against testing? This needs to be answered. Ireland is a complete outlier, opting for lockdown over testing. NPHET need to explain how every other country in the EU / World has gotten it so wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

This is effectively the point I made earlier. Once we start on the 12-15 year olds, then we've done everything we can. We are out of bullets. If there is a sting in the tail to come, then further lockdowns or restrictions cannot stop them, they can only delay them. The only choice left is to face it, come what may.

We should start to see more solid talk about moving to looser restrictions from mid-late September. This is what has been hinted at every now and again in the media, and fits nicely being 4 weeks after we start vaccinating the 12-15 group and should be 1-2 weeks after the last of the main 16-24 group are done. It also gives the schools/colleges time to get back and settle in without adding any further complications.

The indoor dining restrictions probably won't be officially cancelled, they'll just be allowed to lapse. But it'll be pretty clear two weeks beforehand that enforcement has been dropped and nobody cares about vaccine certs anymore.

The organisers of EP (and everyone who bought tickets) are going to be super angry, and rightfully so, if large events are given the go-ahead in October. Laois CC have made a gigantic balls of this by not at least opening a dialogue around what might be possible.

Did Laois CC have any other choice? The power to grant licences for large outdoor events is a local government power however currently it is effectively ring-fenced to central government only as they have dictated a 500 limit on all outdoor events and the only way to circumvent that is to apply/lobby directly to central government for an exemption to get on to the "pilot" list. It's another example of central government over-reach, this time by undermining local government powers.

As there is no plan to change the 500 limit, at least not in the public domain, Laois CC had no choice but to decline the license.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It's quite possible that NPHET start talking about flattening the curve over the winter.

I honestly don't know what the country would make of such a position. It's almost unfathomable, because it would mean a permanent state of restrictions.

I got a briefing from the kids' (secondary) school the other day. They're planning to reopen with the same restrictions as last year. They say they're just following DfE advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭saabsaab

They have in general got it right but were too slow introducing many measures like MQ. We are in a very good position now better than most.

I think that there is enough of the population who are fine with how things are now, who would support ‘flattening the curve’ until Easter next year. It would be a sad state of affairs and would reflect the lack of any backbone from our leaders. As long as NPHET and RTÉ are banging the drum, keeping restrictions in place is the easy path for the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

@namloc1980 wrote:

As there is no plan to change the 500 limit, at least not in the public domain, Laois CC had no choice but to decline the license.

Fair enough, I didn't know that. I assumed they had the powers to at least grant something conditionally or perhaps defer the decision to a later date. This may be a small bit of theatre on the part of LCC and EP to force the Govt to talk to them about it.

@Lumen wrote:

I got a briefing from the kids' (secondary) school the other day. They're planning to reopen with the same restrictions as last year. They say they're just following DfE advice.

Yeah the DES flagged this last month that they would be going with the covid protocols as usual in September regardless of the prevailing guidelines. On one hand you get the feeling that they just didn't want to have to do any work over the Summer looking at ways to open up further vis-a-vis extracurricular activites, etc. But on the other hand, they made such an omnishambles of it last year that maybe they're just taking the safer option and are aiming for a return to normality for Term 2.

Yeah, the DOE told every school at the start of the school holidays that September 2021 would see the restrictions continue including pods, masks etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Thats the same point I'm trying to make, except that 12-18 are already such a miniscule amount of hospitalisations, we dont really benefit at all from vaccinating them, in terms of hospital stats. So waiting until we've vaccinated them is pointless really - we've hit diminishing returns already.

By all means let them choose to get vaccinated, but our reopening should not be dependent on it.

And the saddest part about this is the children who started Junior infants last year have never experienced normal school life.

There is no justification for this decision if Third Level universities are promising some sort of a return to normality, I cant see that happening realistically though.

And there is talk now about Offices returning in some form in September, are office workers to be put in pods too.

How long is this to go on for, we have a huge portion of the population vaccinated,are our children ever going to have a normal school life again. Why do they have to play with the same few in the schoolyard when politicans can party outdoors in groups of fifty. Why is the Merrion outdoor space safer than the schoolyard. Its time for the Ombudsman for Children to speak up for how unfairly they are being treated.

A number of years ago we passed a Children's Rights amendment into the constitution and we patted ourselves on the back about how amazing we are in Ireland and how considerate of children we are. And then we absolutely trampled all over them for the last 15 months with our children missing out on huge swathes of their education, closed play centres and playgrounds, cancelled their sports and telling them to stay away from their friends and family members. It'll be a long time before we see the extent of the damage caused to our young people.

• Advertisement

i see hordes and hordes of children out everyday,they are literally sitting on top of each other.

How are they going to go back to school in masks and pods,if they havent caught covid by now they will never catch it and its possible a huge majority of them have been exposed to it aleady but had no symptoms.

I know so many older teachers who retired, they simply couldnt face another year like they had last year, i hope we have enough younger teachers to fill these vacancies.

Colm Henry pointed out today that the conversion rate from cases to hospitalisation has decreased due to the vaccination rates. all good news and in a few weeks we will be on a much better side of this pandemic says Paul Reid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Ha ha that made me laugh, good one. I presume your talking about the farce that was MHQ and not the bit where NPHET instructed nursing homes not to restrict visitors.

Ireland has had the most destructive and pointless lockdown in the world. With covid it’s about moving quick, NPHET moved slow, and rather that own their mistakes doubled down on policies that were way too late, MHQ might have made sense 18 months ago…

How can Paul Reid say we will be in a much better side of this pandemic and the Dept of Education say nothing has changed re the awful experience school was last year. What is the benefit to the mass vaccination success if this years incoming Junior Infants are going to be treated like walking typhoid Marys.

Where are we going with this, its hard to feel any positivity when our youngest are being so damaged by this excessive caution.

The vaccination rates are stellar in almost every age group and we are coming to the end of this programme.

I know the sentiment is coming from the right place but I honestly do an eye roll every time I hear the phrase "just a few more weeks" at this stage. Easily my most hated phrase out of all this, even ahead of "wet pubs".

Nah, it was always all of this month and the message is aimed at those who can't wait, currently 65% of cases under 20 and 85% under 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Hang on.

"if they havent caught covid by now they will never catch it"

That's not how it works unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The vaccination rates are stellar in almost every age group and we are coming to the end of this programme.

Coming to an end of restrictions? Because to my knowledge they is no indication as to when they will end, or what metrics will be used to make those decisions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,439 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

So now it's mid September before we can expect to see these restrictions "loosened". Which is another 6 weeks really.

6 weeks to flatten curve lads. Please forget the dozens of 2 week periods that led to this point, we really mean it this time.

6 million vaccines administered and still the same horseshit, you need to be a right clown to think anything is going to change.

Advertisement