Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying options (post Brexit)

Options
1141516171820»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭TheRover

Despite scan support telling me that Nvidia FE cards are the exception that can be shipped to Ireland, there was no option for Irish shipping when a friend had one in his cart this morning.

edit: Ah, he sent me screenshots and it actually looks like he did have the option to collect the card. I guess that's what the support reply was on about now, she mentioned that you'd have to inform them and they'd arrange a courier.

Still though, you'd end up paying Irish VAT on top of the UK VAT + courier

OK I managed to order one on scan for collection. What's the procedure now, do I call them, live chat, email... ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

TheRover wrote: »
    OK I managed to order one on scan for collection. What's the procedure now, do I call them, live chat, email... ?

You tell me pal :D Let us know how you get on. I took screenshots of the chat I had with support so if they give you any push back I'll be happy to share them with you

You tell me pal :D Let us know how you get on. I took screenshots of the chat I had with support so if they give you any push back I'll be happy to share them with you

I dropped them a message :) I'll keep you posted!

Did your friend order one in the end or just tried to?

I dropped them a message :) I'll keep you posted!

Did your friend order one in the end or just tried to?

He tried to but couldn't see an option to send to Ireland. It was only after he shared the screenshot that it clicked with me what the customer support must have meant by arranging a courier. I hadn't even considered the click and collect option

My friend managed to get a 3080Ti on amazon.de yesterday morning so he's happy out now. I hope it works out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I had to return something to amazon for the first time in years this week and had to pay for postage back to the UK. Was only a small item but if you got stuck with a faulty large item it might be a massive hassle.

Was annoying as the item itself shipped from their own warehouse in rathcoole yet I had to return it to dunfermline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

.G. wrote: »
    I had to return something to amazon for the first time in years this week and had to pay for postage back to the UK. Was only a small item but if you got stuck with a faulty large item it might be a massive hassle.

Was annoying as the item itself shipped from their own warehouse in rathcoole yet I had to return it to dunfermline.

I returned something a couple of weeks ago and was given a prepaid label to print out, plus a customs declaration form.

Edit: actually yeah I see that now when I go to process a refund that it says I'll have to pay for the shipping. Interestingly enough on amazon.de it says it'll refund up to the amount of postage that was charged for the order, which is lower than what it would actually cost to return it when posting privately.

Bit disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Aodhan5000 wrote: »
    Did not realize they had RGB fans but they're kind of expensive for a company that are usually undercutting others

Still cheaper than anything close in performance with RGB.
    Also their P12 RGB fans only cost 10-13.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    They were <650 last year :/

And for awhile they were at least €1200, and nowadays you would find it hard to get one for less than €1000, so currys price, when in stock, is still pretty good

• Advertisement

He tried to but couldn't see an option to send to Ireland. It was only after he shared the screenshot that it clicked with me what the customer support must have meant by arranging a courier. I hadn't even considered the click and collect option

My friend managed to get a 3080Ti on amazon.de yesterday morning so he's happy out now. I hope it works out for you.

Round 1) chat tells me they do ship FEs to Ireland but he doesn't know procedure. Promises to get back to me.

Round 2) they get back to me via email saying that for fraud prevention reasons, they cannot ship to a different location than the one on the order (which is set to collection...)

Round 2.5) I insist on the fe exception to Ireland, and get told I must have been given wrong information

I'm getting back to them on Monday I guess, to see if I get yet another different answer, but I might need those screenshots of yours..

Round 1) chat tells me they do ship FEs to Ireland but he doesn't know procedure. Promises to get back to me.

Round 2) they get back to me via email saying that for fraud prevention reasons, they cannot ship to a different location than the one on the order (which is set to collection...)

Round 2.5) I insist on the fe exception to Ireland, and get told I must have been given wrong information

I'm getting back to them on Monday I guess, to see if I get yet another different answer, but I might need those screenshots of yours..

Round 3) Another chat person confirmed they do not ship at all to Ireland, so cancellation is my only option.

Like Viking, let's see how long it takes for them to give me my money back...

Round 3) Another chat person confirmed they do not ship at all to Ireland, so cancellation is my only option.

Like Viking, let's see how long it takes for them to give me my money back...
    Ah I'm only seeing this now. I've attached the chat I had with them, I thought I'd lost it but managed to find it this morning. Sorry to hear they won't ship to you after all, sounds like they are breaking their deal with Nvidia

https://imgur.com/a/D4f9QgH

Ah I'm only seeing this now. I've attached the chat I had with them, I thought I'd lost it but managed to find it this morning. Sorry to hear they won't ship to you after all, sounds like they are breaking their deal with Nvidia

https://imgur.com/a/D4f9QgH

Thanks for the pic. The first guy I talked to told me the same, so I got hopeful, but then everyone else was just saying how I was misinformed...

I have sent a message to NVidia UK (since there's no NVidia IE) to let them know how Scan is breaking their agreement towards NVidia's supply to Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1 stodvadeset

Hey folks,

Any experience with maxburns.ie?

I was looking into getting:

- Ryzen 5 3600
    - ASRock B450M Steel Legend AMD
    - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB Kit (2 x 8GB), DDR4, 3200MHz
    - Gigabyte 1TB SATA lll 2.5" SSD

Total would be €517

Tnx

Heard only good things about MaxBurns.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

Has anybody managed to buy from any of these shops?

https://www.pccomponentes.com/
    https://www.notebooksbilliger.de/
    https://www.megekko.nl/

The first place (pccomponentes) seems to require some kind of Spanish tax ID to create an account. The second (notebooksbillinger) says they only deal with business customers with VAT accounts outside of Germany. The megekko place only seems to have options for Netherlands/Belgium on accounts.

Thanks for the pic. The first guy I talked to told me the same, so I got hopeful, but then everyone else was just saying how I was misinformed...

I have sent a message to NVidia UK (since there's no NVidia IE) to let them know how Scan is breaking their agreement towards NVidia's supply to Ireland

Round 4 or 5) After 4 requestsm to scan to get my order cancelled, it's still marked as Complete. I wonder if it's time to contact my credit card guys...

• Registered Users Posts: 33 br3ak666

I think there is no need to go to scan anymore to have Nvidia in Ireland, great lads running some decent place in d12.

www.ggmachines.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Athassleabbey

Hi, I've ordered from some uk websites to ireland, sent by post, not tracked, and so far haven't been hit with any vat charges, I'm just wondering since the 1st of July has anyone gotten vat charges on stuff through the post with no tracking number or has it changed that everything is now being checked?

Hope I'm making some sense!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

Amazon UK will do the VAT adjustment at checkout. They deduct the UK vat (20%), then apply Irish VAT of 23%, plus any applicable customs fees, which are 0 for pc parts. Other merchants might be less thorough and just ship it out having charged you the UK rate. Then it's up to customs in Ireland to notice and bill you for the Irish VAT. That part seems to be a bit hit or miss.

Overclockers have stocked a gazillion NVidia GPUs, but most at ludicrous prices. I believe there's some decent options in the 3060/3060TI range tho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Anyone have any experience with buyitdirect.ie?

I am looking at getting a monitor and they are somewhat competitive.

Plus if I do have to return it, it would be a lot easier than trying to get it back to Germany

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭spyder238

So what would the procedure be if a friend buys from Scan and sends to you via courier. Will it be a case of getting charged twice for VAT?

Yup they ship from UK - at least monitors.

I wonder what happens now in terms of VAT, if it's double charged or not...

Advertisement