Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working From Home Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Szero

Rather than the government saying "September" they should be saying "we want to reopen schools and colleges safely first as priority 1, if that goes smoothly, a few weeks thereafter, we will look at offices, which will probably be towards the end of September". I saw a survey on Twitter today where there was a strong preference to do schools and colleges first before considering the lifting of other restrictions such as offices.

If offices do reopen and if masks are required all day and if you need to socially distance your desk from others and if the flu & Covid goes on the rampage this Winter ... a lot of people are going to think what is the point been in the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

As someone who is looking forward to a return to the office, and would probably opt for more days in than at home - the idea of returning whilst still having social distancing measures and masks isn't attractive in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭VG31

Same here. I'd like to be in the office for two or three days ideally. However if it involves wearing masks all day I think I'd prefer to stay at home.

20% back in September and I'm sure they will have no problem getting that number in and gradually increase each month then but only based on government guidelines.

When back to normal it's looking like we are expected in Three days. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and WFH then Thursday and Friday.

Happy enough with that as office is 10 minute drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I won't be going back to the office at all, unless I physically need to setup some hardware, and in which case, I will just setup shop in the data center for the whole day (usually only person in there). Won't even bother going to my desk, except to grab some tools.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Delays to return to office continue, u-turns to return to office continue and mandatory vaccinations for office returns increase ...

• The New York Times Company indefinitely postponed its planned return to the office. The company, which employs about 4,700 people, had been planning for workers to start to return, for at least three days a week, in September. (There was a big uproar from staff about not wanting to return).
    • Lyft postponed its return to office until February 2022.
    • Uber pushed their expected return to October at the earliest. (Joining Google and Apple).
    • Twitter did a u-turn and shut down their office that they had reopened.
    • Walmart and the Walt Disney Company introduced new requirements that some employees must be vaccinated.

More evidence that September return to office plans are not happening in many cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,197 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Because people throw GDPR around as the answer to anything.

A company asking an employee if they are vaccinated is absolutely fine and has nothing to do with GDPR.

But how they store that information, who they share it with and how long they keep it has everything to do with GDPR.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

There actually is GDPR issue around the employer asking the question. They should only ask the question if they actually need the answer.

Exactly. I spoke to a CEO of a company who paid for a professional opinion as to whether he could ask if staff were vaccinated or not so he could limit the return to office to those that were vaccinated. The professional opinion was that he could not do that for data protection / GDPR reasons. He said the fact that he can't limit the return to office to those that are vaccinated, unlike in the US and elsewhere, adds another complexity, along with mask wearing, social distancing and Winter unknowns into the mix with reopening offices.

• Advertisement

• Microsoft's LinkedIN have done a u-turn and have changed their hybrid policy from 50/50 to offering the option of 100% remote working. It will be left up to the employee to decide where to work.

Meanwhile: ( https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-07-28/virus-surge-upends-plans-for-companies-trickling-back-to-office?utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=socialflow-organic&utm_content=business&utm_medium=social&cmpid=socialflow-twitter-business )

• California's biggest employer, the state, has said that they have plans to reopen offices but only to those who are vaccinated, mask wearing in the office will be strictly enforced and screenings will occur.
    • Citi (who have not given a return to office date) say wearing masks will be mandatory inside the office.
    • Wells Fargo will make wearing masks mandatory inside the office when they reopen offices.
    • Many employers "don’t have enough certainty" to "demand a return" and for companies that are "really trying to pull everybody back in a firm way, it’s kind of ignoring how tenuous many of these situations are turning out to be".  

Yeah, I suspect that we are on an evolutionary path with hybrid policies. I think eventually the typical 2 days/3 days/50% mandatory office minimums will get replaced with 'work wherever you want' policies perhaps with 1 day a week/month mandatory "team days".

I don't think the 2 days/3 days/50% mandatory office minimums have staying power due to (1) staff retention reasons - and hybrid policies are becoming a core part of packages, (2) 'what is the point in been in an office' attitudes after 1-2 years being fully remote, (3) surveys have proven that younger workers want more WFH than older works - so the demographic trends favour more WFH over time and (4) climate change - some companies are starting to include employee commutes in their carbon impact calculations. Big change is going to be needed to address climate change in the coming years and commutes have a carbon impact especially if employees need to drive to out of town offices.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The HSE can ask because of the nature of their work and the potential risk to "clients" but they can redeploy staff. Otherwise it is private data that an employer has no right to know. They also can't make you get vaccinated as the Constitution refers to the protection of bodily integrity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Are they still planning the return to offices for September? My guess is any increase in cases will be blamed on this return instead of schools.

Eamon Ryan has said that offices are likely to be allowed open at some stage in September but he has not named a date. He has said it must be a slow return and restrictions will apply (likely mask wearing and social distancing between desks). Many companies have pushed back return to office until October and in some cases November and even March in other cases.

Hence, if offices do reopen by October, it is likely to be with a small amount of staff and unpleasant restrictions like mask wearing all day.

Therefore, given the likely small scale of office return, until after Winter, I don't think offices will take the blame for any increase in cases if this does happen. In addition, if there is a Winter wave, work from home restrictions could easily get reintroduced.

The blame will be put on young people who are meeting up everywhere, not just the schools.

That's a drastic reduction of 80% in desks due to social distancing. I often hear 50% mentioned as the reduction in desk space but I guess if the desks are in pod and if you need to keep 2+ meter distance then 80% must happen in some cases. As you said, these type of restrictions are likely to cause companies to wonder what the point is with reopening until the restrictions are lifted. It's more hassle than it is worth.

Many companies are changing to a mask while indoors policy rather than an at your desk exception. In certain European countries it is mandatory to wear a mask while indoors in the office including at your desk. Many US tech firms have changed from a 'mask while moving' to a 'mask while indoors' policy. Just because you are sitting at your desk does not mean you can't spread something in an indoor enclosed office. But surely at some stage mask rules indoors will be lifted but I suspect that it will be after Winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

I guess we'll never go with masks indoor rule here, or I'm working in the wrong place. People are so stuck in 2020 where it's still all about distancing. Makes me cringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I agree - I mean if you are sharing the same office air as people for 8 hours, 2m is not going to have any impact one way or the other. I don't really get it!

There is no logic to requiring social distancing between desks in the context of a disease that's airborne and infects people that way.

Viral exposure risk is multiple factorial including air ventilation systems, if windows are open, type of activity, indoor v outdoor, if masking is occurring, physical distancing etc. i.e. Yeah, it is overly simplistic to say that 2m provides safety ... But social distancing between desks is mentioned on the HSE website and the government website in the context of offices and is much easier to implement than ventilation rules, so it is likely that companies will have to comply. Masking indoors and social distancing are often cited as the last restrictions that will go.

Post edited by JTMan on

• Advertisement

Interesting Bloomberg article about the many people who just do not want to return to the office ...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-08-03/return-to-work-americans-willing-to-take-pay-cut-to-never-go-back-to-the-office#:~:text=Americans%20Are%20Willing%20to%20Take,reduction%20to%20stay%20at%20home.

• Many workers aren’t too fond of the prospect of going back to the office — whether they are concerned about their health, have domestic responsibilities that keep them home or simply don’t want to return to an unwelcome commute.
    • 65% of American workers who said their jobs could be done entirely remotely were willing to take a pay cut of 5% to stay at home.
    • Nearly half — 46% — said they would give up a quarter of their days off in order to never have to return to the office again.
    • To entice workers back, some companies are holding back-to-work parties and dishing out prizes, providing free lunch or child care, or even offering yoga classes.

Employers have a big struggle on their hands dealing with the many people who simply do not want to return to the office ever again.

Maybe there is an opportunity for employers to offer optional 5% pay cuts in exchange for 100% remote jobs.

Gotta love that American approach "well if you are not coming in and I don't have to rent a space for you and you don't have to waste your time commuting, well then I should pay you less"

What kind of dumb ass would stay with any such company if they had half a chance to leave

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

The government where I'm based have approved hybrid working so my work place are going to go ahead and try to get us back into the office in September.

My manager is very keen because she knows I don't want to go back and she is an absolute pr1ck. She has been pushing going back into the office for over a year now. She is incompetent and has problems so I think she thinks she will get more support if we are in the office.

I'll miss the view from my window at home as I'm not near a window in work. There is a man who I have dubbed 'the dumpster diver' who looks for valuables in the large bins outside. He found a tv the other day, wrapped it up and took off with it. A half naked drunk guy was flinging fire crackers on to the road. Many people check the parking meter across the road for change.

Interesting that Israel have effectively closed offices again by re-introduced work-from-home restrictions ... https://gulfnews.com/world/mena/covid-19-israel-calls-on-employers-to-switch-to-work-at-home-1.1628089163506

It shows the fragility of this restriction i.e. even if offices are allowed reopen sometime in September, it is a low opposition restriction and could easily be reintroduced in Winter.

More companies cancelling September return to office plans. Amazon has delayed their return to office from September to January 2022. Amazon say masks will be mandatory inside the office when they reopen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,456 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

This is where it makes no sense to me. If you WFH, you are safe and sound, no need for a mask etc.

An office with those kinds of rules, why would you want to bother your arse? I was on a plane for 4 hours yesterday, mask the whole time. Awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Because its about control over your employees. Much less control over them when they're in their kitchens instead of the office. Plus the people making theses decisions aren't going to be the ones masked up in cubicles.

I think it makes sense from a safety perspective but does not make sense from creating a pleasent work environment perspective. I mean the reason for masks in indoor offices is obvious, indoor is high risk and masks offer some protection. But agreed with why would you bother to going to the office with such a deeply unpleasant requirement.

Post edited by JTMan on

CNN have fired 3 unvaccinated staff for going into the office. Meanwhile in Ireland you can't even ask if your staff are vaccinated.

• Advertisement

It certainly is the norm in the US. My US colleagues have to certify on an app, daily, that they are vaccinated or have taken a lateral flow test that far before coming in

Advertisement