Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death of Anne O Sullivan

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Likely egged on by daddy who likely only married her to get his hands on her farm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

The woman's illness was a blessing not to have had to live with the trauma of what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

A story too dark for words. Hope the woman is at peace now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,489 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

This story has a lot of tragedy & heartbreak associated with it. When everyone tried to compete against one another to make themselves get some form of happiness from this situation; things with one of the other family members involved in this case can apparently go very wrong, in their own heads, it can cause complete chaos within a split second. This lady had to be there dealing with all of that trauma while she had to live with the pain of coping with her illness. She had no choice but to contend living with that bleak situation for a very long time until she had spent her final moments with us on god's green earth while the husband & two sons went before her. It's a story that doesn't leave us with any winners now that they have gone before us. They all lose out in a huge way either with bad intentions in mind or through no fault of their own.

I don't know how other families who live here can contend to go even through that level of trauma when it's known to be ultimately preventable for their own sake. If you truly loved your family in the most honest way possible. You should never ever contemplate doing a murder suicide upon yourself or your own loved ones. Families should be there to help each other out when it is right & ethical to do it to keep them happy.

I hope Anne is at peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Desperately tragic stuff...all over land and who gets what. Here we are a year later with all 4 dead and the land going to no-one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Shocking story & awful for that poor mother in her last months. Presumably the mothers relatives will inherit if they would even want it & the constant reminder of what happened.

Rip to all four members of the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭baldbear

This story really upset me. I can't comprehend the evil actions of that father and son.

The thing I Don't understand is after Mrs O'Sullivan's cousin went to the gardai to report the tensions why didn't they taken the guns?

And the son even told a neighbor in a few weeks it would all be over and a trail of carnage would follow. Evil talk.

They made a fatal mistake of going back to the house. I hope there is a hell and those two are in it been tormented.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

On the guns the neighbour and cousin of the victims went to the Gardai but didnt mention there was guns in the house

"Ms Sherlock, a cousin of Anne, went to gardaí to make them aware of the tensions within the O’Sullivan home, but she did not know there were firearms in the property.

Anne did not subsequently go to gardaí seeking a protection or barring order.She did not express concerns that there were firearms in her home, in a gun safe to which her husband had the key"

The Gardai were not told of the guns but I presume they could have checked if there were any in the house, they are pretty common in a farming household

• Registered Users Posts: 19,849 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

They'd be aware of any licences. They might not have bothered their arses checking, but they'd have access to that info

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yeah thats what I thought. They have the power to confiscate guns immediately if there is any suspicion of a threat to life. With it being a farmer who a likely to have a gun they should have checked the licensing system as a default. That didnt seem to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

You cannot protect people who do not seek protection.

Not condoning the killings but nobody in the family acted in a reasonable way.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,757 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

What happened the home, farm and land now?

Awful tragedy

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

And his farm as well which would automatically go to her on his death.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I'm sure some relative will pop up with a claim they were promised the land in someones will ,

I think land Like that should be left to the wild , can't ever imagine anyone else/family willing to buy it considering the horrific end to the previous family who lived there,

I know I wouldn't even want to set foot on the land

Huh? The evil scumbag was the one who wanted favouritism. If anything if they'd "favoured" one then the evil fuckers would be happily looking out on all the land right now.

Some sad fuckers in this country when it comes to land. I suppose if someone plans their entire life around depending on a future inheritance it says a lot about them. Lack of fairness is one thing but at the end of the day being the bigger man/woman, making your own life and being able to walk away if a sibling is such a piece of **** to start hassle over something they feel they're more entitled to is something that everyone should have in them before they're even adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

tbh from the limited information available it sounds like both parents had a favourite, though this could be an after death glorification.

it's a recipe for disaster and destroys any "normal" sibling relationship you'd expect.

• This story has really really saddened me. The poor woman was extremely fair in how she wanted to divide up the land.

I think the father's words that he never loved her and only married her for the land paints a very telling picture of what happened here. He was mad to get the land and quickly. One brother probably took to this notion whilst the other brother seemed rightly aghast that the other brother wanted to turn the mother's treatment machine off during the night amongst other things that were said. I think the compassion and concern that Mark showed towards his sick mother may have been his downfall. Whilst he was bringing her to hospital visits the other two were winding themselves up in the house about the land.

The cruelty of such words to a terminally ill woman who should have spent her final month's in the warmth, comfort and love of her family instead of the horror that transpired.

Driven mad by greed. Absolutely shameful.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

What level of a miserable bastard do you have to be to be a man in your early 20's, about to be gifted one million quid worth of property, and be like "a poxy million, I'll get two million or die trying"

For point of reference, I just checked Daft there, and three bed homes in the Kanturk area start at 100,000 euro.

This man needed 20 times more money than he needed to buy a permanent place to live.

Unbelieveable.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,849 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The story said that the younger fella was going to get the father's land. So he would have had that in addition to whatever he got from the mother. I didn't see anything regarding whether that was comparable in terms of value. Not that it really makes any difference, but if the younger fella was going to get 100% of another big chunk, he was even greedier trying to get his hands on the mother's place and deny his brother that too

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

There clearly wasn't a full deck upstairs for either the father or the son. How in the jaysus do two men agree to a murder suicide pact because the son is only getting a poxy million, rather than two million? Most men in their early 20's wouldn't believe their good luck if they inherited 10 grand.

There was reference that the father and younger son regarded the murdered one as "lazy". The lad was a trainee solicitor- it doesn't really reflect a man who rises at midday while sitting on the couch smoking a j watching Judge Judy all afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,489 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

This is a big issue here when you talk about greed & selfishness in an individual particularly when living in rural Ireland. It has been widely known from various generations that the majority of people living in this part of Ireland in the past were very poor & did not have much to fall back on when times were hard. But when that trend has changed to create something more tangible & believable; things within people's heads can begin to go pear shaped if people living within the same family somehow find out that they are not going to get their fair share.

That's how life is meant to work out for most people when they are going thorugh this situation. I don't want to go too much into detail here regarding wills & inheritances but if the young man, killed by his dad & sibling, who was working as a trainee solicitor before he died; I don't know if I should say this but the father & sibling could have believed a conspiracy theory that the young son could have gamed the system to his benefit. But in hindsight; considering all of the tragic events that have taken place with this family afterwards; that theory turned out to be completely false.

If it was Anne's wish was to do this with her own family. That was her destiny. You wouldn't be able to treat it with disrespect. Why couldn't her husband & older son completely understand that this was the fairest way that it could have been handled when it was brought out to them. Now I don't know much about this case; but the young murdered son was the only individual of this family that could have gained the biggest win out of this process of getting the land without doing very much at all when his mother did the paperwork to make sure he will get it. He got lucky & the other 2 didn't. I hope I'm not completely wrong here when I make this point. Am I going in the right direction when making them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

No I think you've misunderstood.

The mother's farm was being divided between both children (though I think the nicer plot was going to the eldest son)

The youngest son didn't like this and thought he deserved the full farm. The youngest son was also to inherit the father's farm. Basically the youngest son wanted absolutely everything. Didn't get his way so teamed up with his dad and murdered his brother.

Neither son worked the farms, they both chose professions outside of agriculture.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,747 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

What was the killer runt doing? Dont remember hearing about any profession he had.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,885 ✭✭✭billyhead

The father and youngest son were twisted. The lands not worth much to them now. The poor mother. Your heart would have to go out to her after the events. May she Rip.

Accountancy I thought....that's from memory.....not farming anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 23,747 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I assumed he had been farming it and thats what made him think he deserved it.

The younger son or his father wouldn't be too happy with that arrangement if he were to be getting the poorest part of the farm if that were the case.... But overall acceptable if getting his father's land as well...but still to him it maybe would not be a equal shareout of all the home land in terms of the quality.

I think the only thing acceptable to them would have been for the eldest son to get no inheritance.

He could have been made a scapegoat by them to really hurt the mother on the decision she was going to make/made on the distribution of her farm asset.... loosing her son who looked after her... they'd know that would hit her hard which was probably their main motive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Munstergirl854

Ireland is tribal when it comes to land.It is engrained in our psyche.

In drawing a line in the farm to split it,she drew a line down through her family also.

I dont know the first thing about farming,but I imagine a 50/50 split,however well meaning isnt going to work.

The younger lad apparently had the lions share of the work and because he was vested in it he wanted it all,with the farmhouse and bogland to be given to the older brother.

The saddest part I think,is that the father encouraged him in this belief and they planned this bloodbath.

He was young,who is to say he mightn't have been talked down from the edge if his father was more level headed.

One of the worst things I've ever read, a Shakespearean tragedy.

Advertisement