Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Irish hip hop gig you were at?

Options
  • 25-07-2021 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭

I have been to many many Hip hop gigs in Ireland over the years but if I had to pick my favorite one, it would be Eminem in Punchestown racecouse in 2003. He played there 2 days in a row, 45,000 at each gig. Most of the songs he performed were from the marshall mathers LP and the eminem show.

First hip hop gig I was at and it started a huge love of hip hop gigs for me from there on.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Public Enemy at Mean Fiddler, or whatever it was called at the time.

DJ Noize at the Funnel

Wu Tang (most of them) at the Redbox

Kool Keith at Button Factory

Madlib and Chali 2Na at Vicar St (I think)

Africa Bambaataa at the Andrew's Lane Theatre

to name a few of the better ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Probably Grandmaster Flash in the Pod a few years ago. Had the crowd in the palm of his hands.

Beyond that, The Roots in the Olympia were amazing.

QTip in the Sugar Club was excellent

Rahzel was class in the Pod/Redbox.

Best freebie...during college won a Karaoke contest (yup) and got free tickets to see Masta Ace and Punch and Words.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭pgj2015

some old school mentions. any newer artists?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Moghead

Was that Madlib gig in the Tivoli Theatre? My only time ever in that venue and only went to the gig as a friend had a spare ticket, great gig.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I believe it was, yeah. Think it was sponsored by some Jeans company or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Of recent gigs

Went to watch the throne in 3arena was decent, they played Paris about 9 times in a row

Macklemore in the Academy around 2011 brought the energy, the place was on wheels

As one mentioned above Grandmaster flash at the Pod maybe was a great gig, brought out all the classics

Advertisement