Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭bodgerfederer

Had a similar experience in Sligo a couple of weeks ago. I did write to mr Ryan and would encourage everyone to do the same.

i know it feels pointless but they are elected officials, they do need to respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Yeah Sligo is in desperate need of some chargers especially with onward journeys to Donegal etc

• Registered Users Posts: 21,938 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Theres a HPC in Carrick on Shannon if heading to donegal. The north west may not be great, but for those of us around for the pre 2016 wasteland, it's a huge improvement!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I remember when there was a line from Galway to Dublin, north of it, other than the the M1, it was basically a no go for CCS charging.

I remember the first week I got the leaf24, I decided to do a "charge in all 4 provinces on the same day" challenge. I ended up AC charging in Ulster as the only reasonably reachable FCP that was online on the app was enniskillen, and it was offline. I ended up AC charging for 3 hours to reach Carrick on Shannon. Both of those units were at the time 43kW chademo + 22kW AC only.

It's gotten a lot better. For sure.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The good old days where people questioned my choice of the Ioniq because the CCS network wasn't as good as the CHAdeMO one.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Not 140 CCS connectors either. There's a few CHAdeMO only units still out there.

Texaco (Mace & Supermacs), N4, Ballinalack, Westmeath 22kW unit has been removed (from the app). Is this signs of progress at the "hub" they've had installed for months but not powered on.

Last time I was there that hpc was blocked by a Leitrim council van - it was charging on the faster unit, chademo, but blocked me from getting to the ccs. This was 8pm and the guy had left it there charging after work. He did turn up, nice fella, didn’t seem to think it was an issue that the council couldn’t charge their own fleet without blocking tourists from moving on. I wasn’t going to lecture him, I was going to write to leitrim council but as I don’t have a vote there I wonder if it would be pointless?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

With location of certain car charge ports it is inevitable a second charging space will be blocked. This is not the vehicle's fault, it's the charger cable design

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

He's not doing anything wrong, an EV charging at an EV charging station. It's not his fault your car // the cable couldnt reach each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭zg3409

ESzb estimated a 50kW charge cost 50,000 euro when you factor in labor, groundworks etc. If you have a fee of 10 euro for 1 hours charge it would take a long time to break even. Factor in maintenance and possible replacement after 10 years, them it's hard to justify.

That said at key motorway sites, with food and toilets open 24/7 the "footfall" would be much higher and might justify 2 chargers. If it was easy money they would be everywhere like take away coffee machines at petrol stations.

50kW chargers need heavy subsidy today, but government should set aside 5000 euro per EV car sold for hubs in key locations.

Also, 50kW was outdated since 2018-19. The total life cycle for 50kW was 6 years. 2012-18.

150kW is now the new norm but when new cars come out now they can charge at more than that, especially the 800v cars.

Deprecation before 10 years is a reality. Who's gonna pay full rate for 50kW if it takes 2+ hours to charge to 80%

I'm guessing ESB are phasing out the AC43 sockets. The unit as rochestown in Cork looks like it's being replaced with a 50kW DC unit but only 22kW AC (untethered). Similar to what happened at Mayfield. I'd imagine they have a supply of 50kW DC 22kW AC units, and will just let the AC43 die out naturally through faults and replacements.

Post edited by Black_Knight on

Isn't that the other way round, they are replacing the AC43 tethers with AC22 sockets?

Absolutely, although I’m not sure his Nissan van can benefit from the 150kw chargers? Perhaps the 50kw unit was in use when he arrived.

Regardless, i do think that Leitrim cc should have a better system for powering their fleet then sending their employees out in the evening to use public chargers. I have nothing but sympathy for the guy whose job was probably less inconvenient when he had the petrol van.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Would you not be as well to have something like 22KW in tourist attractions and shopping centres where people will spend a few hours, 50KW units in public cars parks in towns and then every motorway service station having a mix of 150KW and 50KW units?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Is that unit out of action now? I'm due to go to Douglas on Saturday and trying to decide if I should bring the ID3 or the ICE.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

J14 still free at the moment?

what’s the reliability been like in the CCS plugs? Will stop in on the way for some ice cream!!!

it’s a great service area… only stopped there for the 1st time back in June when the lads were about to fire up the new units…

Yup. Rochestown is out of action for the time being.

Still free vend for the HPC. The FCP is pay for play. CCS has been pretty reliable this last week:

^^ Last Sunday for example, 1/3 of the CCS plugs were unavailable (most likely 1 unit dead).

Typically a quarter or more of the CCS plugs are in use:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The only time I used Rochestown it took me 15 minutes to get a charge going, needed to call them to reset the unit… I only went there because the Frankfield one was busy!!!

Cork is desperately underserved for DC charging (now though mainly only for non Tesla EV’s). They could do with some serious upgrades there (150&50kW sites like Kells etc…)

any inklings as to where the next 7/8 car J14 style hub will go?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Yep it's free as from last Monday. It's a nice services but very, very busy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

I've only been there twice but both times, I had to move to different units & spend several minutes to finally get a charge. Speeds were poor too, 60kWs odd while I should have been topping 100kWs+.

It wouldn't inspire confidence TBH, given they've been up & running a few months now. Good job they're still free!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭McGiver

I think we should all spam him, just for the craic...

Saying that TDs aren't working until September, I just wrote to another one so I know! FFS and we pay for this "service" 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

I think it's clear now that the greens have no real interest in EVs - they're just anti car, in every guise. I know if I was vehemently in favour of something & I got into government, in the very ministry where I could effect change, I'd be hammering through my targets.

Not a peep from Eamon, bless him. He's just trotted out to take the flak for Leo & co., then put back to bed till next time.

It's demoralising, it really is 😕.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

eCars advert on radio last night as drove up to a 50kW charger. Leaf and Kona charging. Leaf waiting. Went to the next 50kW with the Leaf and a Zoe showed up within a few minutes! This does not tally with the sentiment of the advert :(

• Registered Users Posts: 42 aigne

It does seem alright that cost sharing with network providers and/or automakers is a requirement for the economics to work out

• Registered Users Posts: 42 aigne

There was an article in the Wall St Journal Monday or Tuesday this week about the USA context "Gas Stations Face Tough, Costly Choice on EV Chargers"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭McGiver

Was charging the i3 at the Enfield triple head yesterday.

Fella with L24 parked in the 2nd (middle bay) charging on the chademo when I arrived.

So I parked in the 1st bay just to try - the CCS cable wouldn't reach to the right side rear charging port.

Then I parked in the 3rd bay - the AC cable didn't reach the charging slot either.

So what I'm gonna do - waste time time eating and not charging? Wanted to go 11 kW on the AC43 at least while I'm eating and the Leaf finishes charging.

Then the fella appears, and I'm explaining that the charger is designed for the cars to park in the order of the cables they're using...

1st bay - 1st cable - Chedemo

2nd bay - 2nd cable - CCS

3rd bay - 3rd cable - AC43

But no, he was arguing that all cars can connect the cables & charge at the same time and that his parking in the 2nd bay didn't prevent anyone using the others including the AC43. I'd even parked in the 3rd bay to demonstrate that I can't even connect to the AC43 there. I would have probably reached it if I parked diagonally to the charger... To add insult to the injury, the leaf was drawing like 3 kW.

Anyway, Ecars stupid design/layout for sure, but Leaf users absolutely should park in the 1st bay else no one can use the AC43 and can't even queue in the correct spot for the CCS. Saying that if a CCS car was in the 2nd bay I wouldn't have gotten to the AC43 either.

Short cables, stupid layout, and some ignorant users 😔 A deadly combo

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Just poor selection of charge units, there are plenty about with “overhead” cables that swing out from charger but never seen these in Ireland.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Advertisement