Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

Yes, my understanding was that it was a member of Fianna Fáil and a politician, but it seems it was a Fianna Fáil politician she claimed had put pressure on gardai not to investigate a Fianna Fáil member. This was the subject of a defamation case taken by the politician. Happy to make that amendment.

In other words you were wrong sneering at Gemma in case she made anti garda points just like you were wrong to say GSOC could determine the legality of Jules arrest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭tibruit

He/she is setting out the case for the prosecution quite well I think. I have yet to see anything Moonunit has said that is blatantly incorrect.(I know little about Gemma Doherty). I`m guessing it all makes uncomfortable reading for those who think the horse/husband/Alfie/the Gardaí etc did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭MacDanger

None of the evidence (even if most of it wasn't much-disputed) though amounts to anything coming even close to being enough to convict someone of murder.

perhaps you should look up Gemma before you comment then

It is blatantly incorrect to say gemma blamed an FF politician and that GSOC could determine legality of arrest. You may think these are small things but technically they are huge and a court case would be laughed out of court on claiming Gemma blamed an FF politician for murder or that GSOC could over ride the courts.It does not have to be blatant to lose in court as the DPP knows. yes she/he is setting out the prosecution case as you say. But never considers they could be wrong as most here do.

I`m guessing it all makes uncomfortable reading for those who think the horse/husband/Alfie/the Gardaí etc did it.

I do not believe any of that. i do not know who killed her

• Advertisement

If there was case the DPP would have known He knows more about the nuances of law than anyone who has made up their mind re Bailey and only post one side

Simply regurgitating the same points over and over at length and ad nauseum is not setting out a case for anything, it's a standard wearing down tactic. Soon the only posts on the thread will be moonunit replying to moonunit.

The DPP cannot determine the legality of arrest either according to you. GSOC interviewed the various DPP personnel and got their opinion first hand, they would have had to seek legal counsel to dispute the DPPs opinion so clearly and in absolute terms. I think IB even had his wrongful arrest case started at that point so GSOC would have made absolute fools of themselves and also looked incompetent to contradict the future findings on this. Hedigan's judgement, as far as I can recall, said that the wrongful arrest case was statue barred because of the exceptional delay in bringing a case but if he had been forced to rule on it that it would have been a lawful arrest.

But its in response to the same nonsense being put forward about garda conspiracies, no evidence whatsoever etc. etc.

LOL, no. Report me for being a garda shill if you think the conspiracy theory spreads as far as a poster on boards whose other main contributions were about Harry and Meghan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭Deeec

Moving on I have asked this question before here and dont think anyone was able to answer. Alfie lived in the cottage to the left of Sophies house and the house to the right was owned by the Richardsons. Was the Richardsons house empty at the time of the murder?

The wrongful arrest case did not fail then on legal terms it was statute barred, so was not even argued in a civil court. So you are wrong again to say it failed in civil court as you did yesterday. GSOC can interview who they like they are not a court. The arrest was never put to a criminal trial because there was not one because the DPP did not bring case because the DPP did not think they could get a conviction

you keep making the same points as if they were fact they are only your opinion

you are wrong again to say it failed in civil court as you did yesterday

So he won then?

There was much legal argument over whether it was statue barred or not, that's part of the reason the case was so long. The judge therefore felt it deserved comment in his judgement and said the wrongful arrest case would have failed on its own merits.

"The judge later noted gardaí would have been in dereliction of their duty if they had not arrested and questioned Mr Bailey. He had been arrested twice and questioned at Bandon Garda Station on suspicion of involvement, but was never charged and continually denies any involvement in the unsolved killing."

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/commentanalysis/arid-20436242.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭Deeec

Thank you. I assume it was their holiday home. I havent read anything about this house at all. Its strange that there has been so much said about Alfie and Shirley but nothing about the Richardsons - Im not saying by the way that they were involved - but what if someone broke in and was squatting there and Sophie found and challenged them.

Do you not understand the case was statute barred. Didn't happen.

you say he won? we are talking about Jules arrest

"The judge

later noted gardaí would have been in dereliction of their duty if they

had not arrested and questioned Mr Bailey. He had been arrested twice

and questioned at Bandon Garda Station on suspicion of involvement, but

was never charged and continually denies any involvement in the unsolved

killing

Refers to Bailey. it is Jules arrest we are talking about

As the GSOC report states, Jules was arrested because the gardai believed they had strong evidence that Ian Bailey was not where he said he was either on the night of the murder or the previous night. Jules had corroborated Ian's prior account in her own statements. Therefore, GSOC ruled that her arrest was legitimate as she appeared to have given information on the movements of a suspect, and herself, that she knew to be wrong and may therefore be involved herself or was likely to be shielding the suspect.

In his case, as I understand it, Ian Bailey said both of their arrests were unlawful because gardai had 'manufactured' Marie Farrells statements that he was elsewhere. The jury in his high court case was allowed rule on this and decided that the evidence supported the garda arrest based on MF statements. They did not believe MF that gardai had pressured or forced her to make statements against IB or to identify IB.

GSOC's report was actually after both cases had been ruled on. There is nothing to suggest either arrest was unlawful unless it could be proven MF was lying about seeing IB at the request of the gardai. The evidence shows this wasn't the case:

3.12 Nothing was noted in the documentary review conducted by GSOC that undermined the decision to arrest either Ian Bailey or Jules Thomas in any way and there is no information available to suggest that either constituted an unlawful arrest. It is further noted that the legality of this arrest has never been successfully challenged by either Mr. Bailey or Ms. Thomas at any stage since that date and that no complaint was made by either party to their solicitor at the time of their arrest or detention

Post edited by MoonUnit75 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Sorry I should have said that if Marie Farrell did see someone, regardless of who it was, the question has always been raised as to why Ian Bailey would have taken that route. The hatchet being missing, and confirmed to be in the house days prior by Sophie's cleaner, and cited as a possible cause of the blunt trauma to the back of Sophie's head, likely as she fled from the house. That would be one logical reason I could think of why he would go that way to dispose of the hatchet where it wouldn't be found rather than the more direct route back to his house.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭EdHoven

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭EdHoven

• Advertisement

Well there is, in France. IB tried to argue that the DPP report everyone here is so fond of quoting showed he had no case to answer but this was rejected by the Irish courts as it is only an opinion with no legal standing. There's also illogical and incorrect assertions in it. Judge Hedigan said in his remarks it is still unknown why IB has never been charged by the DPP.

'... Judge Hedigan said in his remarks it is still unknown why IB has never been charged by the DPP.'

He was not charged because the evidence against him could not amount to a conviction in any genuine legal trial. No forensic evidence.

Just imagine those witnesses in the documentaries on the stand being cross examined by trained barristers. They would be torn to shreds.

' so you only remembered this 3 years after the murder?'

'so you can't say for certain if he was serious or not?'

'so this drawing of the scratches on the hands....'

'about that gate..'

It would be a comedy show and a complete waste of court time.

Sorry @MacDanger I missed this when you posted it originally. Yes, the DPP's opinion was that Jules Thomas' arrest might be unlawful because it seemed to him she wasn't questioned about the murder directly. They argued that this indicated she was arrested under suspicion of murder but was really only there to get information on Ian.

Firstly, this notion is wrong because the gardai took hair samples from both Ian and Jules, which clearly demonstrates their belief of the possible involvement of both of them. This, along with the information and statements at that point in the garda file shows that the arrest and detention 'was necessary for the proper investigation of the offence for which she had been arrested'. GSOC's report said they are unaware of any information, either in the DPP report or elsewhere, that indicated any different.

And yet, as I've said before, it was IB and his team that were torn to shreds at both the libel trial and the action against the state, not the witnesses that would be used in any prosecution. The witnesses in the garda file were named in the judges remarks and he said he accepted their evidence was truthful. IB's legal team had the opportunity to cross-examine them.

About that gate, GSOC noted that any of the 'missing' items or pages seem to have gone astray sometime post 2002, after the DPP had repeatedly rejected the prospect of charges. These items would therefore have been available at a previous trial if the DPP had accepted the garda file as it was presented.

Bailey is innocent until proven guilty so the onus is on the prosecution to show beyond a reasonable doubt that he was the person who murdered Sophie.

What do you think would be the cornerstone of the prosecutions evidence?

The scratches on his hands that no one can prove he didn't get from the Christmas tree and which a dermatologist said she saw no significant sign of?

The confessions that no one is really certain were confessions, not even the people who heard them first hand are sure?

Marie Farrells evidence?

The lack of a bulletproof alibi, before the morning, even though the time of death is quite likely to be in the morning?

A local journalist nowing things early about a crime commited in a very local community?

The fact that he assaulted his partner and yet she would likely be the strongest witness for the defence.

There is just no way a jury would be able to convict him on that circumstantial mess of evidence and that's even before the defence barristers get to work on some of the Gaurds and witnesses testimony.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭CowgirlBoots

This from July 13, 2021 Independent.ie article by Senan Molony

A five-bar gate to the holiday home of Sophie Toscan du Plantier has not been “lost” by gardaí but was disposed of after it was decided it was of no value to the murder investigation.

Contrary to a flurry of social media claims alleging Garda incompetence in mislaying the item, it can now be revealed the gate was discarded intentionally.

This was done by the National Forensic Laboratory (now Forensic Science Ireland or FSI), based at Garda headquarters in Phoenix Park, Dublin, and not by local gardaí in Cork.

The gate was quickly established to be of no evidential value into the investigation into the December 1996 murder of the French filmmaker at Toormore, Goleen, Co Cork.

Senior sources said the gate was initially “offered back” to be returned to the property but was not wanted. It is understood it may have been offered to Georges and Marguerite Bouniol, Mrs Toscan du Plantier’s parents.

“I had never news of the gate from the Garda. They never gave it back to me,” her son, Pierre-Louis Baudey Vignaud, who inherited the west Cork property, told the Irish Independent.

The gate had a number of bloodstains or smears on three of its bars. These were Mrs Toscan du Plantier’s blood.

Further tests were carried out on the gate for up to six months, and it was then retained for six years at the laboratory in Dublin.

It was later decided to dispose of the gate because of its large size and because it was deemed to be of no value to the murder investigation.

“In the various discovery processes when people were seeking material, a query was raised about the gate and it was stated in writing that the gate was no longer available,” said a senior source.

“That has now turned into a claim that the gate has been lost or stolen, which is not the case. It is being used as a stick with which to beat the force but the truth is very different.”

Asked for details as to how and when the gate was disposed of by, the Garda Press Office said: “An Garda Síochána does not comment on the specifics of any ongoing investigation. Queries in relation to Forensic Science Ireland should be directed towards FSI.”

A FSI spokesperson said: “We can confirm that FSI staff swabbed the gate and that the swabs were then assessed within FSI. The gate remained in the possession of the Garda Technical Bureau during this process.”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭nc6000

That story was nonsense and they only came out with it after their incompetence was highlighted in both TV series. They admitted during the GSOC investigation that the gate was missing and they didn't even know when it had gone missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Was there any fingerprints on that wine bottle?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭CowgirlBoots

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭nc6000

Because when GSOC did their investigation in 2018 they were told the Gardai did not know what happened to the gate (and a bunch of other items of evidence) and they also did not know when the gate went missing.

Now the Gardai are saying they offered it back to the family before disposing of it.

Why didn't they say this to GSOC back in 2018?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement