Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tokyo 2020: Athletics Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,900 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Seems to a huge recency bias in this.

Lyle was pretty much a shoe in before this event. He made a mistake in the semi-finals slowing up too early. I think he's still the class of the field.

Knighton looked impressive it has to be said but he's very slow out of the blocks and he's not catching Lyle if he starts poorly.

In three years time though I expect him to be on top if he gets his start together. Could be a 100m champ as well if he sorts his start out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Gold for De Grasse! Thrilled with that 😎

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭pc11

Nope, van Niekerk is not the only one to do this.

Norman and Kerley have done it and obviously Lyles can do it whenever he wants to try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,187 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Olympic record in the semis!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Great effort from Coscoran. Be a brave man to call the final I think but Cheruiyot still has to be favourite I guess. Did he hit his peak last year though?

Cole Hocker through too. I don't I think it will pan out to be a tactically slow final, but if it did I'd back him to get a medal off his finishing kick. I'll still be cheering for Josh Kerr and Jakob. And Wightman to a lesser extent.

Can't see the 1500m being tactical. There are many front runners. If the first lap is slow it'll be a long sustained burn up. 3:50 is not winning this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Itziger

Luxo lad Grethen qualifies. Delighted for him. About 6 months ago two of us were doing a little session at a local track (the main one nearby must have been closed) Grethen and another lad - who I teach, as it happens - were doing a slightly more quality track workout. He asked us, quite nicely, to keep lane 3 free. I think he was doing 300s.

Incredible achievement for a country this size to get a finalist in a 1500. Big PB too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,694 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

How many PBs did Irish athletes get in this olympics? Did any?

The mixed relay took 2 seconds off the national record in their semi final. I think of the the guys (Greene?) split faster than his PB in there too but it doesn't count as an actual PB even though he started out of the blocks.

Coscoran was 0.18 off his own PB. Even if he surpassed it by 0.2 he would have still finished where he did. He has probably given the best account of himself so far IMO considering he was probably fatigued after making the semi final in the first place.

I'm hopeful we'll see a PB or two in the marathons.

• Advertisement

To be fair, would that be saying much - how many times has the mixed relay even been run in Ireland. It just seems conspicous to me that so few of our athletes actually peaked for their main event - and obviously disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Be a tall order for Phil Healy to pb after competing in the mix relay.

Yep, I knew that's what you were getting at. For me the biggest disappointments have been around the 800s. English PB'd and broke the Irish record only in the last few weeks so he looked to be peaking nicely. But maybe threw too much into that effort? He's experienced too so I expected more from him. He's finishing this Olympic year as the fastest ever Irish 800 metre runner though so I'll still give him his due. For the women's 800s. Not expecting PBs but close enough to them would indicate peaking on time to me. But they were all well off.

Really looking forward to what's left of the track action. Was a bit concerned by McSweyn in the semi-final, looked like he struggled a little on the last lap, but I hope it was a case of him easing off the throttle a little after perhaps overcooking the penultimate lap. Would love him to medal in the final, will probably have to make it quick though.

Cheruiyot didn't look 100% either, or maybe he was just saving his best for the final. As always with the 1500 there's probably about 7 or 8 who could medal, but I'd be surprised if Cheruiyot and Jakob weren't in the top two. Will also be keeping a close eye on Hocker, hadn't seen him race before this Olympics but he apparently has incredible speed over the final 200m.

As for the women's race, I've said it before and I'll say it again, but if Muir tries going with Kipyegon she'll end up with nothing. And I won't even feel too sorry for if it does happen, she's had more than enough races to have learnt her lesson at this stage. Hoping for a great duel between Kipyegon and Hassan with Laura getting the bronze.

Off-topic post, but I find Sydney McLaughlin's social media output quite off-putting. I've no problem with anyone being religious, or even openly so, but when every second post is filled with "JESUS CHRIST DIED TO SAVE ME" or whatever nonsense she posts I do find it quite tiresome. Obviously she's a beast on the track though!

Don't forget Eilish Flanagan, who had a nearly 6 second PB.

I wouldn't expect many PBs in the middle distances. Many of these are tactical races with burn ups at the end. Not the best way to set a PB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

The secret to social media is you can follow or read whoever you want! Don't like what she posts? Then don't look her up, don't follow her feeds, it's simple! There's a whole wield out there, many with views like your own I'm sure, if what she's posting is not egregious or offensive/discriminatory, then I don't see the problem - maybe she's an asshole, but the world is full of assholes, don't let it annoy you!

🤨

I don't follow her. I was simply passing comment on what I saw after checking out her profile. I'd often look up sports people I don't follow after they've achieved something great. Don't let it annoy you 🙂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭Enduro

Heat and humidity must be a factor surely. Anyone who was "dying" in our recent week of summer should no the difference it can make!

Anyone watching the walk? Diniz was out the back, looked like he might be out. Fought back up near the lead pack then stopped, had a chat and a drink and he's nearly back with the lead pack.

Started out the race going clear before pulling up to use the toilet, then stopping again like he had gastro issues or something. If he wins it it'll be legendary.

And btw, he's the world record holder.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Happyhouse22

Had a vague idea I had seen this before, and just checked Wikipedia and in 2016 he lead the race for the first 35km before stopping abruptly.

• Advertisement

He just stopped again after catching the lead pack. Unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Really looking forward to the women’s 1500m final. I feel like the duel between Kipyegon and Hassan will be epic. If they really go at it, we may see a 3:4x:xx outcome, something that would have been inconceivable several years ago.

I really hope that Laura Muir also medals. She’s a gutsy runner who has just missed out on several occasions. She deserves that piece of hardware for her consistently high level of performance since she emerged in 2013. Realistically, she needs to be smart and target the bronze. If she runs around 3:55, nobody else in that field is catching her. She may even pick up a silver in the unlikely event that one of the protagonists blows up. Have my fingers crossed for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭patob

Brendan Boyce going well so far. Who is the Irish fella commentating on walk for BBC. Con??

So Diniz took a long stop and is currently 1.40 down on the leaders. Looks like he is pulling out now. Obviously has problems. He made it very entertaining.

Hassan and Kipyegon both capable of a sub 3:50 I think but I doubt we'll see it later today. I think it'll become an 800 metre race with Kipyegon the winner.

If it was about a month ago I'd have said Hassan should go to the front and try burn off Kipyegon like she did in Doha, but we now know that might not be enough. Not entirely sure how Hassan wins, but I'm looking forward to seeing how she goes about it!

Post edited by yerwanthere123 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭DBK1

He done very well and you could see the delight in his face going over the finish line. Along with the marathon swimming it must be one of the toughest events to take part in, especially in the heat and humidity out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭DBK1

Likewise with Laura Muir, she deserves a medal for the years of effort she put in so I hope she gets somewhere on the podium. I doubt it’ll be gold but hopefully she gets something.

It would be nice to see Hassan achieve what she set out to do too.

To be honest, going back 12 months or two years this is the race I'd have looked forward to the most at the current Olympics, thats partly as I was hoping Ciara Mageean would be in it; but partly because Muir is such a class act and because I've been following Hassan ever since she won the European Cross Country a few years back; Fionnuala McCormack was 4th in that race. Should be a really great race.

50k walk is such a compelling event - the last 5k yesterday was incredible.

• Advertisement

5k prediction:

1. Kiplimo

2. Katir

3. Cheptegei

Wonder how wrong I'll be 😛

Advertisement