Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie email address issue July 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

This is what I am genuinely shocked about. PMs from years ago that I had long nuked, things that contain personal and private information are now there and not only that, but recipients can now add other people to the conversation and view them. This needs to be dealt with asap

• Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭Tork

Knowing this, you'd want to be mad to use the few Talk To forums that are here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭Esel

NM

Not your ornery onager

Ive just submitted a form to them. I wasn’t left with any choice seeing that nobody from boards even acknowledged it today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Dave0301

I suspect the lack of an update about these issues is most likely because Boards.ie have really messed up and are possibly in over their heads.

I think they were sucked in by Vanilla's sales pitch, which when combined with a lack of beta testing has resulted in the issues that we are seeing at the moment.

It could well be a result of the fact that Boards.ie was bloated after all the various tweaks over the years. The lack of communication though is doing as much, if not more damage to the goodwill of users as the privacy issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,877 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

At the very least they could have posted that they were seeking legal advice/advice from the DPC and would update asap. Ignoring it makes them look guilty.

I'm not buying it's all Vanilla's fault here either, because messages "deleted" on VBulletin were very obviously not permanently deleted. Vanilla didn't just pull these out of their arses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

I have seen my share of clusterfcuks in my time, but talk about holding the grenade and throwing the pin.

At this stage, Boards HQ should be fcuking ashamed of themselves. I genuinely cannot see how there is any way back from these shenanigans. What the hell is next like?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Wasn't aware of the PM thing until reading this thread.

Sure enough deleted mails with sensitive details have been restored, great.

Post edited by ASOT on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Where's yer man Devore in all of this? Great man for piping up until the **** hits the fan. 🤣 I assume everyones in boards HQ been told to keep their yaps shut while solicitors are called in

There doesn't seem to be any way to delete PMs now, considering lots of people have deleted PMs reappearing which contain personal details, that's a "bit" of a problem

DeVore hasn’t been part of boards ownership/management for a long long time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

+1. The lack of ability to delete PM's is IMHO a serious issue, especially because in Board's culture the P in PM's was considered sacrosanct and in my time here both in front and behind the scenes they were treated as such. Outside of helpdesk and with caveats even there, anyone who posted a PM in a thread got a bollocking at best, a ban including siteban at worst.

Nothing you put on the interwebs is ever truly private Leg. It's cached somewhere. And yep Boards devs could have dig down into PM's if required, but as I said the founders were very specific about privacy of PM's, DeVore in particular and he is a chap very particular indeed about lines being drawn and crossed. So unless there was something major like a legal request for disclosure our PM's were indeed private and within our control at the front end.

The first mod role I had was Personal Issues and when I first started the mods we were able to see more than we can today(that was changed and rightfully after a few months that I was there), the forum was searchable and would show on the front page. The mods argued against that on privacy grounds and DeVore and the other lads agreed and changed that. As I say privacy and user control over that was sacrosanct. Was sadly seems to be the tense involved, what with some emails being visible and beyond the site and our inability to delete our own private messages.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I think the issue with the PMs is that Vanilla see 'Messages' as a Facebook Messenger hybrid where nothing ever gets deleted just pushed down the pile, whereas Boards PMs are very, very different.

Not sure how the old ones have reappeared, possibly it was an old function on the previous platform of a 'soft' delete similar to posts in threads and the Vanilla platform just spat them all back up as it doesn't have that function built in... which is ridiculous, but it's becoming ever more obvious in my opinion that Vanilla is just NOT equipped to cope with a forum the type and size of Boards.

It's all a horrible shame. It's been very difficult trying to process it all over the past few weeks since the changeover since this was basically the only place I hung out online, and had made many good friends over in Forum Games. But it doesn't look good going forward :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭brimal

Good point, but I would also add that *none* of this shiitshow is Vanilla's fault.

Vanilla are some random company on the other side of the world, who offer their (apparently piss-poor) services to Boards.ie

It all rests on the Boards team. If they tested, communicated properly, did their due diligence, etc. and had a successful migration, then we shouldn't even know who Vanilla are.

But every update we get is Vanilla this, Vanilla that.. kind of has a hint of passing the buck or at least sharing some of the blame.. it's also extremely amateur of Boards.ie to keep referencing them.. again if the migration is any way successful then majority of users shouldn't have any idea or care who Vanilla are.. the site would just work

• Registered Users Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Just catching up and not read all posts but someone messed again but don't close you account in case pm is fixed and you can delete all youself.

What if you close account and it's still saved somewhere.

Mine go back yeary but I'v had a friend here help me with a friend that ended up in mental hospital.

Family member.

We both deleted most pms before the change and they should not be there.

Now if I take to long to post it seems to save as draft. Every few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I think you missed the main point in @banie01's post - that (all?) PMs that had been previously deleted on old Boards have suddenly appeared back again under Vanilla. WT actual F like!

Not your ornery onager

@Wibbs I get your point about nothing online being private, but we were always assured that PMs were. Hell, even the limit and the fact you had to delete them suggested they disappeared. But they didn't.

I'm not a techie and a lot of the background stuff goes over my head, but I'm genuinely shocked that zombie PMs are resurfacing.

What happens if we close our account? I now know you can search the old username of a closed and, supposedly anonymised, account and get to their profile. Sure, the name is scrambled but all their posts are there. Was their data deleted? Are their PMs still searchable?

And how the hell do we know our own data will be deleted if we close our accounts? I'm not really full of confidence.

It's true that once you submit any sort of data online, you've got to hope that the people at the other end handle it properly. What's disturbing about this migration is that these things seem to have happened by accident. The way things are going, I wouldn't trust Boards or Vanilla to organise a piss-up in a brewery, let alone handle people's data responsibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Looks like Odhran posted an update yesterday but failed to mention the email issue.

I'm sure it was just an oversight 🙄

• Advertisement

He said he's in the loop because of Niamh and writing to the DPC, but didn't go near the relevant thread, nor engage with any concerns.

Odhran likes to post in random threads where only a small number of boardsies will see what he has written. You'd swear he was hiding or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I should just partner with Ads by Google and write a new boards forum up over the next fortnight before boards.ie dies from exsanguination 

MICKEROO is posting his updates here

No more hiding 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭Jeff2

TBF MICKEROO has been doing a good job and is only helping.

Has nothing to do with the mess up.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,641 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

My speculation on what happened with PMs:

Under vBulletin, you had an Inbox and a Sent folder and that was it (and by default, messages you sent weren't even saved in the Sent folder unless you'd ticked that option in your profile.)

But Vanilla has this hip and trendy Conversations bullshít, where you don't have an Inbox or a Sent folder, just a messages folder and sent and received stuff is all stuffed in there. Apart from looking like a big mess, "so what" you may think?

Because it's now Conversations, you could delete your sent PM (or never have saved it in the first place) but of course the recipient has it in their "inbox". If they never deleted it then, now that the site is "under new management", it's now a "Conversation" involving you and it shows up in your messages folder.

Big problem for Talk To forum stuff as afaik they had/have unlimited PM boxes and lots of PII in there. Stuff you may have sent to a mod or admin (which could sometimes be of a personal nature - e.g. in relation to anonymous accounts in PI) would have ended up the same way unless they deleted it at their end.

Stuff sent to a normal user was much more likely to be deleted, due to the limit on a PM inbox size.

The 64,000 dollar question is what happened under vBulletin when a Talk To.. company left boards and closed their accounts - it's quite possible that the PMs remained undeleted, and now as a "Conversation", involving you, they're back from the dead and in your messages!

What is a LOT more worrying to me though is that a future, or even possibly a past, "Private" Message "Conversation" can have other people added to it without you knowing. That's just not acceptable and is wide open to all sorts of nasty abuses.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

I never said he had anything to do with it.

I just said he's posting of Odhran updates which looks to have been edited based on it now being top of the front page and includes stuff on the DPC

• Advertisement
Advertisement