Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slane

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Surprised No one mentioned Foo Fighters or Green Day

Not a hope green Day could sell it out and the foo fighters would need a mighty undercard to have a hope they've been here loads in the last few years.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Not a hope green Day could sell it out and the foo fighters would need a mighty undercard to have a hope they've been here loads in the last few years.

They played Slane in 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭gigantic09

Not familiar with Picture this/that or whatever but would prefer to see them or some other current band headline Slane as opposed to another nostalgia act. Big festivals such as Slane were the mecca for youth and young adults. People of my generation were so blessed to grow up in a world of u2, guns n roses, rage, Metallica, Oasis, Nirvana, pearl Jam etc.
    Before that you had Thin Lizzy , Bruce, Neil Young, Stones.
    It's past time for some new acts to emerge and cement their place in music history. I realise that times have changed but young people today are fundamentally the same as they ever were. In fact now they are probably feeling more disinfranchised than ever, the perfect environment for spawning musical talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

not in a million years

they'd need a support bill of bands bigger than them

On Green Day above, Hella Mega could have some hope(its still venue TBC for the show here), but it would need a support bill and a half!

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭spindex

Where does it say Venue to be confirmed ?

Ticketmaster.ie is saying the RDS

• Registered Users Posts: 18,111 ✭✭✭✭rob316

As a long time metallica fan, I scoffed at the idea they would sell it out as I'd been to their smaller outdoor shows here and they never sold out at around 30-40k and I just didn't think they were mainstream enough. But there is a huge cult following for Slane and it just adds to it, anyone will go to a Slane show. When you consider its a god awful place to get in and out of and has no infrastructure to cater for 80k people, its even more of an achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Further info has said venue TBC since the new date was announced

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭krusty411

I don't think the rds capacity comes close to slane's, I have tickets for it though so I wouldn't be opposed to it being in slane, but it's 16 years since green day were one of the biggest bands in the world.

Realistically its set up for ac/dc with the new album and 40th anniversary of back in black.

An argument could be made for Liam gallagher to sell it out possibly.

Personally I'd love to see Gorillaz play slane, Malahide Castle gig was amazing and after the long, long break from big outdoor gigs I reckon people would jump on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,647 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Anyone have any theories about why we don’t have any major guitar rock groups coming through the last few years ?? I mean newer ones who could easily sell out Slane

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Because nobody listens to rock anyone's so rock bands that are new play smaller venues. This has been the case for about 20 odd years

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭eldest200

Have a feeling it could be RHCP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

Agree with AC/DC, seems a perfect fit and think they are a band that henry has wanted on previous occasions

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Nobody wants to pay for music any more. Big touring groups are expensive to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Parish King

Rumours starting to circulate now about Croke Park gigs for 2022, but it seems as though between Springsteen, Ed Sheeran and Garth Brooks that not all of them will be able to play there.

I wonder if Bruce or Sheeran are eyeing up Slane as a potential venue?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭fafy

Its possible either could play there. I doubt it will be Sheeran though, as he is doing “in the round” which won’t work at Slane.

I think Coldplay is a more likely candidate than either of these two, album enroute and a tour is sure to follow,

or one which would really top them all, is Radiohead, but no sign of a new album, allthough i would expect one in coming months. They have played just 1 gig here (2017 @ 3 Arena) over the last 13 years, which is an incredible and almost unbelievable statistic. Previous to the 2017 3Arena gig was 2008 when they did 2 gigs at Malahide Castle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Slane is an MCD venue.

Springsteen, Sheeran and Brooks are all Aiken acts. Or at least they have been in the past, and Sheeran is with Aiken on next year's tour too.

So there's close to zero chance of Sheeran playing Slane next year, highly unlikely Brooks (as he can fill out Slane multiple times over and would have to switch promoters), and it's unlikely Springsteen will switch promoter either, and could do more than 1 gig too, and there's little solid rumours about him actually touring Europe next year anyway.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭fafy

Thats a good point, probably not, but Slane attracts a certain amount of people who go, because its Slane, and support lineups tend to be lengthy and often are good, in fact, its unique in that respect. When i think of the great support acts i’ve seen there : Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Foo Fighters, Oasis, Coldplay, Moby, PJ Harvey and more as well

I’ve seen Radiohead a good few times, mainly in the UK, as they just don’t play here in recent years, but only outdoors once, so in reality, they are much more at home indoors with the music they are doing on last few albums.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Nugget89

Foo Fighters announcing a European tour without an Irish date would suggest they could be in line, but have they been here too recently?

Nah they won't put them in Slane again, I'm pretty sure the last irish tour was announced separately to the UK dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,589 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Has The Who ever played Slane.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭piplip87

I'd love to see Pearl Jam but in fairness why would they bother when Eddie can pop over charge 100 quid a pop for a circle jerk with Hansard.

I seen Liam Gallagher mentioned would he sell out though? I suppose two 3Arena shows sold out, put someone like the Manics and Ashcrort on the bill and it's a good crowd.

I'd say after the success of the film Queen with Adam Lambart could be a shout for next year

I'd love it if Pearl Jam did it too. Liam Gallagher was supposed to be playing in Belfast this Friday for Belsonic but that didn't sell out.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,556 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is it two Slane gigs for 2022?

Coldplay

The Weeknd

Aerosmith

Olivia Rodrigo

Adele or Taylor Swift

I'd say Coldplay could be nailed on for at least one show or possibly both. Aerosmith no chance if they do play it will be 3Arena or marlay park(with a decent line up). Adele or Taylor Swift would probably sell two nights each. Would Olivia Rodrigo be able to shift that many tickets?

Who's Olivia Rodrigo?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

They'll put in someone who'll sell tickets and unfortunately that'll probably some rapper with more symbols than letters in their name.

Beverly Hills, California

Advertisement