Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road to Tokyo 2020 - Irish Olympic News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Oldira

Before this year I’d have said the same. However I have been tracking qualifiers since 2016 and in athletics only four of our team achieved the qualification standard. The majority qualified on rankings and nearly all were just a few places inside. None of our 800 metre runners were ranked in the top 40 so naturally you would not expect them to end up in the top 24 (semi finals). Eilish Flanagan did knock 6 seconds off her PB. Others ran very close to their PBs and a few just tanked. All our athletes deserved to be there but we just expect them to run better than they are actually seeded.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Boyce still in the front group of 22 at the halfway stage of the 50km walk. Wright is almost 3 minutes further back.

I know the marathon gets all the glory but this is some war of attrition for 3.5 to 4 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,814 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Yes, showed some of her fencing competition and a brief interview - about 80 minutes into this evening's show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

Great performance Brendan Boyce. 10th out of 59 starters. Best ever Olympic performance. Love seeing athletes perform to their best. Conditions so tough too.

Leona Maguire -7 after 7 holes. That's 2 shots off bronze currently. Lot of bunching though in the field.

Definitely one to watch. I'm off to bed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Pierre de Coubertin

The pentathlon will be all about the ride today.

Based on recent form in the swim and laser run Schleu of Germany already has it won if she avoids disaster, about 60 points in hand assuming an approximately equal ride to the chasers.

After her it looks very very close between Coyle, Kim, Sotero and French - difficult to see a bolter from the pack ASSUMING no ride disasters from those in medal contention (which is a big assumption admittedly).

Just looking for some luck firstly in the horse draw and then in the round itself. There are 18 horses for 36 athletes going in reverse order so the leaders will get to see their horse ridden in an earlier round and have some idea of their chance based on that.

Sive Brassil is not at these Olympics purely because she drew an absolute donkey in an important ranking event. Crossing everything now for some good karma for Tal on what could be a monumental day in the history of Ireland's involvement in this niche sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭peek a boo

I am really proud of our Irish competitors at these Olympics. I was snowed under at work yesterday and missed Kellie’s brilliant win. What a classy lady she is! Brendan Boyce performed well this morning finishing 10th in the 50km walk. One Irish athlete who I think looks promising is Andrew Coscoran. Didn’t make the final but ran really well in his first Olympics and I liked his post race interview.

I friggin love the pentathlon. Coyle always performs well. Hopefully, she’ll be lucky with the horse she gets and won’t be riding a “donkey”!

Where can you find the current overall score? Can’t see it on the Olympics site.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,277 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

13th now for Coyle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Happyhouse22

Someone doesn’t understand how it works 😆

Is it only one bonus point awarded for each victory?

seems like the average score in the swimming was much higher than in the fencing, so I thought maybe each victory in the fencing bonus round would give 5-10 points. But the commentator keeps referring to a single point gained for each bout.

s

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

These pentathletes are the happiest, smiliest bunch I've seen so far in these Olympics!

Great start to the day 😃

Also, my quads/glutes are hurting just watching this 🥺

Just a single point per bout. Except the winner of the last bout gets 2.

So this is pretty insignificant compared to yesterday and the swimming this morning.

I like the format though.

Just had a look maths scores.

Last place in swimming was 246 points.

Last place in fencing was 124points. Incredibly 246 points would have claimed second in the fencing.

is this an extremely uneven format or Am I missing something?

Falling apart.. a bit like your maths😂... Only you're under no pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,135 ✭✭✭✭walshb

La Cruz won HW gold boxing. No idea what judges watching. Ran for 9 minutes. Russian lad did all the fighting. Landed most the actual punches..

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭What.Now

Don't feed him. He throws out one lined crap every now and again looking to be edgy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Fourth after the fencing bonus round. The fencing bonus round not that important in terms of the overall scores but the fencing on the first day is massive. If you go poorly in that you have no chance of coming back really. Much more important than the swimming in terms of the score differential.

Coyle generally holds her own in the laser run so it's all about the jumping really, hopefully she gets a decent horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Pierre de Coubertin

Watch for how the horses go in their first rounds for the lower half of the field.

Schleu will be riding same horse as Gubaydulina who is 19th

Then the medal contenders - Kim will be on Kandil's horse, Tal on the Uzbekistan girl's, Sotero on Shimazau's, Gulya on Takamiya's and French on Prokopenko's.

Irish fans must pray for carnage all around from the early riders, the bigger and more complex the course the better for Tal. She got her top 10s in London and Rio thanks to her clear rounds when all around were having their troubles. Just one more time on what will probably be the final competitive ride of her career.

Come on!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

13th in the swimming. Not 13th overall.

But quite an achievement there to troll yourself all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Minorthreat

Cuba's third boxing gold medal of this Olympics.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Watching the Madison track cycling. Absolutely no idea. Pure chaos. But it's great stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭happytramp

Is it an alt account of that bizarre weirdo who's been stinking up the place over the last few days?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Off you go and qualify for Paris if your so unimpressed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭happytramp

Do you every worry about how much time you spend dong this?.... think of all those rubbish poems you could be working on. Think I'm going to onto the creative writing thread to have a good laugh at them. I might even post a few up here for everyone else to 'enjoy'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭irelandrover

• Advertisement

They keep reappearing under new names 🙄

Advertisement