Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Administrative Officer 2020 in the Civil Service

1394041424345»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Meadow1013

I do not think AOs/HEOs are eligible to take part in EO/CO competitions. It is usually highlighted in the competition booklet. The only way is probably to get demoted. Why would you want to step down? Maybe talk to your manager/HR first and look for a move?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 martinph

Thanks meadow

Just testing the waters.

I'll see how it goes.

EO was certainly much easier.

Just seeing if I have something to fall back on if heo is not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭rostalof

That's the case for internal or interdepartmental EO competitions but there's nothing to stop people from applying for open EO or CO competitions.

Hi there I got an email to say from my application (closing date June 2021) I was shortlisted and moving to the next stage. Email with details to follow. Does anyone know what the time is between each stage approximately? Never applied for these jobs before so no idea what to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 AvaSatiVaLomu

I got my Stage 1 exam results in early November, got a request for detailed application form at the start of March, and my Stage 2 interview was the end of June. now I'm waiting to see if my number gets called for a job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Rcfp

Can I ask how you got on with the interview & presentation? Were they similar to previous? Also, did they go through all 6 competencies in the interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 AvaSatiVaLomu

The interview was pretty friendly and straightforward. The chair was kindly and welcoming. Be prepared to answer obvious questions on your presentation, like about your research process, your sources and why you chose them, and how you reached your conclusions.

All 6 competencies were covered in separate sections, apart from Interpersonal and Communication Skills, which I think they said were assessing throughout the whole interview. The advice I was given by a friend going in was to have my stories ready to go with each ticking all the boxes in the competencies, even if you have to phrase them exactly as they're written in the handout.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Rcfp

Thanks a million for the feeedback. It's strange seeing all 6 competencies up for discussion. Last time around is was only the 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jonathanohjonathan

Hello everybody, thanks for all the helpful insights!

I was told recently that candidates have been called for interview as far as 531 Order of Merit. I am ranked 570s order of Merit and was wondering whether there is any hope of getting called for an interview and going through clearance before the competition closes. Any advice/speculations would be helpful!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 FrankSalazar

Anyone have an estimate of how long it should take between sending documents to clearance and a job offer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Ollie321

Have there been many appointments recently, any idea what OOM they are up to on the general stream?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ComeBackArsene

Anyone in batch 1.5 hear anything about their placement? I got my interview results almost two weeks ago so I emailed clearance and they've moved me from the general to a specific panel, does that mean I should be contacted shortly?

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Ollie321

Hi all, could anyone who was recently (in the past year) been appointed to AO send me a Pm regarding what their day to day is like please?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Luis21

Nothing we like more than AOs in here. Waltz in from college trying to reinvent the wheel, alienate themselves from the HEOs (who at least have experience) and leapfrog them for promotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭cvb03

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Goyangi

Hi guys. I am on the panel to be hired for a specific (not general) stream and I am told that there are currently five people ahead of me. I have been checking every few weeks with them and they are very slow in hiring people for this stream. I really want to get a job as an administrative officer and these are the questions:

What happens to those on the current panel who are waiting to be hired now that this competition for AO2021 has started?

Would you advise that I apply for the AO 2021 for just in case, the panel I am currently on is dissolved or forgotten about?

I would appreciate your suggestions and advice.

Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭Conqueror

1. The 2020 panel stays "live" until a panel from the 2021 competition is formed. This only happens after the first batch of candidates pass the final qualifying round, so wouldn't be for another couple of months.
    2. A panel isn't "forgotten" about; it simply ends once the new panel is formed. You absolutely should apply for the 2021 competition. You might get a place from the 2020 panel, so you can just stop going through the hoops for 2021, or you won't get a place from 2020 but at least are in this year's competition. You don't want to risk falling between two stools and not get reached on the 2020 panel and not even be in the game for 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭cvb03

Yes, I would apply for the 2021 panel just in case your order of merit is not reached on the 2020 panel and if it is reached you don’t have to go ahead with the 2021 application.

Graduate Opportunities in the Civil Service 2021 - Closing Date: 3 pm on Thursday 7th October 2021.

https://www.publicjobs.ie/en/index.php?option=com_jobsearch&view=jobdetails&Itemid=263&cid=140502&campaignId=21249904

Graduate Policy Analyst/Economist - Closing Date: 3pm on Thursday the 21st of October 2021

https://www.publicjobs.ie/en/index.php?option=com_jobsearch&view=jobdetails&Itemid=263&cid=140143&campaignId=21240808

I got called for interview For AO in accounting and taxation has anyone advice never did an interview for the civil service before.

thanks a mil

• Advertisement

Hi all,

One last question!! I got assigned to a department early Friday morning and they told me via publicjobs.ie that the HR from the department would be in touch with info like my start date and who I'll be reporting to. Haven't heard anything since so two quick questions, will they contact me via my email or via publicjobs and how long does this usually take?

I've seen on here most people were contacted by HR the day after they were assigned, but considering it was a Friday and this week being budget week I can imagine why there are a few delays. Should I just sit tight until they give me the info? They did give me a contact email for the department in my assignment message but I don't want to be bothering them before I've even started working! Any and all advice appreciated, thanks a mill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭Conqueror

HR units aren't really impacted by it being Budget day. It's more likely that they're a bit short staffed due to illness.

It can take a few days for HR to contact you, but that just depends on how busy they are with other HR issues. They might also be hiring a number of staff across multiple grades, so might just be trying to sort that. From memory (it was a few years ago), I got a phone call followed by a confirmation email, but do check your spam filter.

No harm in messaging the contact email given to you. It shows you're keen to get working, so it's more likely to create a good impression.

Thanks a mill for this. The HR not being too impacted by budget day makes perfect sense now you've said it! I'll wait until tomorrow afternoon to send the email, there's no real rush my end but I just have to secure a place and knowing how long I have will certainly make things a lot less stressful.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 JoeSoaped

apologies, ignore my post, wrong thread

Post edited by JoeSoaped on

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jevans1990

Hi,

Does anyone who got called for clearance know what they ask for?

I have my degree but don't have results or anything like that?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Maestro85

How many AOs are hired (on average a year)? A tough question to answer I know, but I would greatly appreciate any knowledge ye could impart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Zebunga

Hi all, I'm aware this is a mostly dead thread, but wasn't sure where else to ask. I have recently been going through the AO process and have been told I was placed on the Order of Merit. The minimum score was 20, maximum 50, and I averaged 25 or so, with the highest being 29, and the lowest being 22. To me it comes across as low enough scoring, even though it's great I have got through. What do you think the odds are of me actually being offered a job, and how long does it usually take? The below is what it said, but I am unsure if that is where I am on the list, or if that's my average score (rounding up).

"I am pleased to inform you that you have reached the qualifying standard and have been placed on the order of merit (OOM) for the Business & Finance Stream as follows;

Batch 1 Business & Finance Stream: 26"

Any comments to help me manage my expectations would be appreciated. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 oscillation

Hi @Zebunga, I can’t help with timeframe but just to let you I’m in the same batch and got the same message so I can tell you your place is 26th in batch 1, it’s not an average of your scores. Considering they interview multiple batches, I’m pretty sure anyone in the first batch is pretty much guaranteed a role in the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 oscillation

Also @Zebunga it might be helpful for you to have a look at the forum for our particular stream :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement