Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sodastream

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,664 ✭✭✭54and56

One piece of advice for replacing the valve - use the small knob on the side to release the left overpressure in the bottle before attempting to remove the valve, it was small but was causing issues, once I opened that it was trivial to get the old valve out.

What tool / technique did you use for removing the "new" style valve on the Sodastream bottle? Once that's done is the replacement "old" style valve just a case of screwing it in or do you have to use any sort of paste / sealant or tighten to any sort of torque setting?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

54and56 wrote: »
    What tool / technique did you use for removing the "new" style valve on the Sodastream bottle? Once that's done is the replacement "old" style valve just a case of screwing it in or do you have to use any sort of paste / sealant or tighten to any sort of torque setting?

there's a small valve on the side of the valve(!), open that and purge the cylinder completely.

you can see it here, it'son the new and old styles. just use a pliers to turn it, there's a small amount of co2 in the cylinder even though it's empty and it seemed that was causing some internal pressure. Once we opened that the main valve came out of the cylinder with ease.

someone above stuck the cylinder into a vice, but me and my father used two adjustable wrenches, one held the cylinder around the neck, one turned the valve. It was easier than loosening a car trye for example.

We put in the new valve and used the wrench to tighten it. There's a rubber gasket supplied with the new valve.

I didn't freeze the first cylinder and got 550g into it in about 30 seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 27 rustbucket

Hi there. I’ve used the same setup (bought the adapter and valves from co2 supermarket)

Finally able to refill my own bottles successfully now but have encountered another problem.

Both my gas canisters now release gas as they are being screwed in to the soda stream. It seems the pin in the valves don’t push up the plunger so gas comes out the top of the valve as it’s being inserted.

The canisters do not leak when they are out of the soda stream. These are two canisters. Both have the co2 supermarket valve

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Schorpio

rustbucket wrote: »
    Hi there. I’ve used the same setup (bought the adapter and valves from co2 supermarket)

Finally able to refill my own bottles successfully now but have encountered another problem.

Both my gas canisters now release gas as they are being screwed in to the soda stream. It seems the pin in the valves don’t push up the plunger so gas comes out the top of the valve as it’s being inserted.

The canisters do not leak when they are out of the soda stream. These are two canisters. Both have the co2 supermarket valve

Yeah, we had the same happen to us. Seemed to be an age-related issue of the machine - something within the springy mechanism was getting worn and sticking.

We were still within our 12 month warranty period, so I emailed Sodastream and after a bit of back and forth, they advised that the machine needed to be replaced. I had bought in Argos, and after I showed them the emails from Sodastream and proof of purchase (receipt was long gone, but reservation email and bank statement did the trick) they replaced the machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭wassie

What model Sodastream did you have?

• Advertisement

wassie wrote: »
    What model Sodastream did you have?

Think it’s a c100/cool

If I put a couple of rubber o rings on the base of the valve where it coupled to the machine that seems to do the trick

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭og2k7

Spoken to two different places around Glasnevin Industrial estate and: 1 place didn't know what it was, the second doesn't do it (at least they knew what it was)

Any ideas where I could get the canister refilled around Drumcondra/Glasnevin/Finglas?

Thanks and regards

• Registered Users Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭Raoul

og2k7 wrote: »
    Spoken to two different places around Glasnevin Industrial estate and: 1 place didn't know what it was, the second doesn't do it (at least they knew what it was)

Any ideas where I could get the canister refilled around Drumcondra/Glasnevin/Finglas?

Thanks and regards

Not much help but I am around the same area and I haven't been able to find anywhere. I have been going to Bray this past year. Some people in the thread mentioned Tallaght, so I will try there next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭og2k7

Raoul wrote: »
    Not much help but I am around the same area and I haven't been able to find anywhere. I have been going to Bray this past year. Some people in the thread mentioned Tallaght, so I will try there next time.

Yeah - seen Tallaght, but its bit of a trek to just casually pop over there, but seems it's the only option. I think I will buy another canister so I can top up 2 at the same time and save me some hassle

• Advertisement

og2k7 wrote: »
    Yeah - seen Tallaght, but its bit of a trek to just casually pop over there, but seems it's the only option. I think I will buy another canister so I can top up 2 at the same time and save me some hassle

Are you talking about a single sodastream canister? Or a big gas cylinder with an adapter. I think most people here are talking about a big cylinder with an adapter filled. That way you only get it refilled once every few months and you can refill your sodastream canister at home.

Raoul wrote: »
    Are you talking about a single sodastream canister? Or a big gas cylinder with an adapter. I think most people here are talking about a big cylinder with an adapter filled. That way you only get it refilled once every few months and you can refill your sodastream canister at home.

I'm thinking of getting a second donor cylinder (5litres) - it's only fifty quid, and my Father in Law lives close to AJ Edge, so instead of having to go to Bray at inconvenient times (AJ doesn't open at the weekend) I can just leave an empty one with him to get filled at his convenience and have the other one at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

has anyone got anything from Argos on this? strung out for sparkling water here

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Gazinsky

has anyone got anything from Argos on this? strung out for sparkling water here

Just reserved 2 x refills @ Omni Argos, picking up tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Gazinsky

Gazinsky wrote: »
    Just reserved 2 x refills @ Omni Argos, picking up tomorrow

yep, picked em up, returned my empties €18 each, will do me for a couple of months. Will try KSS next time round.

For anyone that's curious the new cannisters weigh 1.2Kg each

are they the "new" style?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 C-C

This morning, Herself discovers that LIDL & ALDI have SodaStreams on offer.

We like fizzy water.

We don’t like the guilty taste that the fizzy water single use plastic leaves us with.

We live in the west of west Cork, so investigate the ease of SodaStream CO2 bottle refilling.

Nearest suppliers in Cork city.

Enthusiasm wanes and heart sinks on reading previous posts …

Is there any hope …

• Registered Users Posts: 2 C-C

This morning, off to the nearest LIDL, purchase SodaStream, having been assured at check-out that LIDL will soon be stocking replacement CO2 bottles.

We shall see.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Can't see Lidl doing the exchange of empty cartridges for full ones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Yeah seriously doubt Lidl or Aldi will do the trade ins, if they start doing the flavours though ill be delighted cus harvery norman is very out of the way and pc world never have anything but diet coke

Do you really need special flavours? We just use any cordial in the house.

I used to just use robinsons or tesco lemon but ive really developed a preference for their zero sugar lemon

• Registered Users Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'm switching my setup from refilling the Sodastream bottle to a connection from donor bottle to the Sodastream.

As such, I have a new type Sodastream gas bottle and a fill hose(photo below)that are going spare.

€30 for both with local pickup(Limerick) or posted at buyers cost.

Hopefully it will help someone out as much as it did me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Not sure if we will be affected by this but id advise anyone who is low on your big tanks to get refilled or on sodastream cannisters to stock up

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-09-20/u-k-soft-drink-makers-have-just-days-of-carbon-dioxide-left

• Registered Users Posts: 42 han68

Bit late to the table , but I thought i would post it here for anyone in Dublin. I got 3 Sodastream bottles refilled at carbondioxide dot ie . They are in Tallaght and refill 3 bottles for around 25-30 euro. The bottles need to have the "old" valves though. If your bottles have the new valves, they can replace the valves for a tenner. They also sell CO2 in big bottles but not the adapater. Went there this morning and was out in 10 min, very convenient (if you live in Dublin that is)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

That’s great to know, thanks for that 😋

• Registered Users Posts: 7,664 ✭✭✭54and56

Great info han68, cheers.

Checked out their website and they look very organised and focused on the home brewing, aquarium and Sodastream markets.

They sell donor cylinders of different sizes (2L, 5L and even 10L) and a range of refills from single Sodastream canisters right up to 45L donor cylinders, check out their price list.

Think I'll take a spin out to them next time I need a refill as they are the same distance away from me as AJ in Bray.

Good to have more than one option.

• Advertisement

They are pretty expensive? 150% or so more than aj edge?

Advertisement