Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cinema cost

Options
  • 06-08-2021 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

Used love going to cinema but got a bit of a shock yesterday 2 adults and 4 kids 90 euro for tickets and 6 medium popcorn and 6 medium coke, is it me or is this very expensive for an evening at the cinema

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭ozmo

What was the breakdown of the tickets and food -

popcorn probably cost more than the cinema.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭popa smurf

Tickets 42 popcorn and drinks 48

Which is why people bring their own snack

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

15 euros a head for 2 hours entertainment doesn't strike me as excessive tbh, but I can appreciate theres a different 'sting' to handing it over to a cinema as opposed to something like an indoor play area. the food is always where they catch you as that's where they have to make the bulk of their revenue.

FWIW , most cinemas do early showings at a reduced ticket cost on saturdays and sundays

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

6 medium popcorn and 6 medium coke is the most expensive way you could have done this.

Get 2 "deals" with a large coke and a large popcorn - should be enough. Get 3 if not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I only go to the cinema when bring students for work or bring my own kids. I get the €5 kids popcorn/drink and small tiny pack of jellies etc.

You can get it cheaper though if you book the tickets with the food.

With my own kids I have used my Tesco vouchers and got cinema tickets with them.

I know certain times they they deals eg I think it’s Monday night in Dundrum and possibly Wednesdays in stillorgan if you are based in Dublin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I haven't bought cinema snacks in years. Just grab a can of coke and a bag of Manhattan for around €2 in a shop

• Registered Users Posts: 18,036 ✭✭✭✭rob316

When we were growing up, there wasn't a prayer my mam would buy us treats from the cinema, always brought a carrier bag of crap from the shop. Today I think the kids get a kick out of the tray of popcorn and coke to be honest, its all part of the experience. Its not cheap but what the hell is cheap these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

We have only gone to Vue cinemas for years. €5 a head all the time.

Then we got used to not eating in the cinema but going for something to eat somewhere after.

Works out much cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

€42 for tickets strikes me as good. I was expecting about €8 per child and €12 or more per adult. But the breakdown should make clear that snacks are the killer. Considering how lenient cinemas are here about bringing your own food (in the US there are stories of people with health problems being denied entry with their own water bottles), there’s no reason not to at least bring drinks from Tesco or wherever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Jesus I used to go to Vue cinema all the time. Just 5.99 per ticket.

Last weekend decided to take the kids to Swords cinema. More than double the ticket price. Got some shock. So then i looked around to see if they are all that kind of price and they are.

Is Vue cinema the only ones that have a decent price for a ticket?

Advertisement