Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭User1998

UK imports are still coming in by the boat load, but its only VAT registered dealers who can economically import them now. They are buying VAT qualifying cars from UK auctions and reclaiming the UK VAT and charging the customer the additional 10%

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

They are still coming in but not at the same rate, as depending on the cars the new VRT rates have made some uk cars dearer, so they are now cheaper to buy here. I have spoken with multiple dealers over the past week and they are all talking about an upcoming shortage, prices going up and the need for VAT to be sorted. Yes they can get it back, but seemingly it aint an easy or straightforward process.

On the same subject how does one get a "statistical code" for a car. On the Ros website you can enter the code instead of all the details, but anytime I asked NI dealers re this they have no notion what I am on about.

Is there any other reliable method of calculating VRT other than the Ros website, which i am beginning to think has not been updated to allow for new WLTP Co2 rates?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭machu

I thought if you bought a vat qualifying car at auction and the car was being exported that there would be no vat added by the sellers. Can someone clarify this please.

BCA will only sell to VAT registered dealers. They need to pay the full amount and then claim the VAT back at a later stage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

The don't have to pay VAT, the have two separate accounts, when you buy a VAT qualifying car its transferred to another account where the VAT is deducted and the are invoiced for the car minus VAT.

• Advertisement

I’m in the motor trade myself but I don’t have access to BCA. My accountant said the dealers she works with have to pay the full amount and then reclaim it from BCA.

Your basically saying they do have to pay it, its just paid into a different account?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭younggalway

Folks looking for some input on the process in the below situation, I've read a lot of this thread and the revenue website but still unsure on the process.

Family member buying a 2018 Vat Qualifying car from Northern Ireland (The car is UK ex-lease and is liable for customs duty here). The person is also buying through the Disabled passengers scheme so has Vrt/Vat relief up to 16k when imported. This much is clear however I'm unsure of the actual steps required in terms of documentation and sequence.

Would anyone be able to answer the following?

1. If the dealer sells the person the car without VAT (Personal Export Scheme - VAT Notice 707), which documents do they need from dealer?
    2. How is the customs duty calculated? Is this on the price including Vat or without? (I assume this is calculated on the purchase price and not Revenue's OMSP?
    3. What is the process once the car has been brought back to ROI - pay customs first then make VRT booking?

This person is heading north in the morning so want to make sure I have the correct information for them. If anyone understands the process correctly please let me know if I'm missing anything here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

I have a BCA account for years, I was going to set up as a motor trader 7/8 years ago, got the motor trade insurance and a few other things sorted out but ran into problems with planning permission, then Brexit came along so never started trading, I still kept my BCA account active by buying a few cars every year, I used to change my own car every year, sometimes twice, and there was always someone in the family looking for a car or van to make up the minimum of 3 vehicles to keep my account open.

I have bought nothing since Xmas as its a waste of time when not VAT registered, the last person I spoke into BCA told me if I was VAT registered any VAT qualifying car I bought, not to pay for it when invoiced but to redirect back to them and the would direct it to another account where the VAT would be deduced so you would be only paying the price of the car minus VAT.

That is my understanding of it, but as I have bought nothing I'm open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭ma88

Hi lads,

Looking to buy from NI, what's needed as a proof that the car was there b4 2021, just the V5 will do?

The car im looking at is on English reg!

Buying private!

Thanks.

Registered owner address on v5 or ferry ticket pre 2021

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Been looking through the last few pages but not entirely sure I have this right...

I'm looking at getting a 2019 Ford focus ecoboost st from NI. According to revenue.ie the VRT is 23.7 % of OMSP or about 5 grand. I then have to pay 10 percent import tax and another 23 % VAT, both on OMSP.

And if the garage imported the car after 1st Jan this year I have to pay another 20 % uk vat as well? Does this all sound about right?

I'm figuring I probably will cause myself a lot of hassle and save no money by doing this, but just trying to run the numbers to see if it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭masit

If it's private the chances are the owner has it more than 7 months(pre Jan 1st 2021) unless they bought it on the main land to sell. If they have owned it for a while, on the V5, there will be a change of ownership date so just ask the owner how long they have it. V5 should be ok then.

If the car was imported after 1st Jan you pay 23% VAT 10% customs and VRT

If the car was imported before 1st Jan or has always been in NI you only pay VRT

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭angrybeaver

I totally see that importing from the Uk is dead post brexit.

quick question: Myself and my wife are returning to the Uk in October to visit family for a week or 10 days. We need a car while over there. In the past for similar trips I’ve flew over bought a car early and drove it around to see family and the home to Ireland. Generally in line with when I need a new to me car.

i know It makes no financial gain to buy a car over but with car rental for 10 days approx £800. If you were to buy a £1500 bangernomics car with MOT etc would the VRT etc be cheap enough to make sense swapping it over to Irish plates etc? Any suggestions

why is there no calculator for it all now, VRT VAT & import duty.

Could someone work out the total cost of importing a Mitsubishi L200 Crew Cab 2007 Value £4850. VRT I have but import duty and VAT. Thanks

Nothing is worth importing if you have to pay VAT and customs.

€8k + VRT

• Registered Users Posts: 22,206 ✭✭✭✭Esel

If you were to buy a £1500 bangernomics car with MOT etc would the VRT etc be cheap enough to make sense swapping it over to Irish plates etc? Any suggestions

The price of the car has no bearing on the VRT, the OMSP set by Revenue and the VRT rate does that.

As said above, VRT will also include NOX charge. Plus duty and VAT in most cases.

Definitely not a runner.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭omri

Disagree, with all the extra taxes you will pay what irish dealerships are asking for their stock, but you might be getting much better spec.

Can anyone confirm that pre-brexit registered cars from NI/UK are exempt of the post brexit additional import charges ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Was looking at one northern company on done deal advertising a few cars vat free or with no vat as they were imported before brexit... Is it suspect to have cars in stock that long or are they using a workaround

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭angrybeaver

Understand the price has nothing to do with the VRT but it will be less the older the vehicle. Hence bangernomics 2007 or so.

still see that it’s a non runner though, thanks for reply.

You can disagree all you want but it doesn’t make you right. If your asking about NI cars you obviously haven’t done much research. You will find out for yourself that importing from the UK is dead for now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Uuuuu1111

Quick question! I'm planning on buying a car from copart in the UK I am just wondering when paying the VAT is it paid on the omsp of the vehicle or is it paid on the invoice price that I paid for the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,223 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think VAT is paid on the invoiced price. Don't forget that there is 10% customs duty to be paid too.

Is the customs duty also paid on the invoice price?

I only drive my car on saturday and sunday so I'm going to leave it on the uk reg. Wish me luck!

I bought one in Blefast, irish stock is rather crap so would pref to buy UK stock if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭MacDanger

When you say "dead for now" - are there moves afoot to adjust the current setup? Or is it just a hope that something might be worked out in the future?

That's from the VRT.IE website:

Difference between importing from the UK and importing from Northern Ireland

1. Vehicles registered in Northern Ireland before January 1st 2021 are not subject to customs duty or VAT
    2. Vehicles first registered in Northern Ireland after January 1st 2021 are not subject to customs duty or VAT
    3. Vehicles first registered in Northern Ireland after January 1st 2021 and considered new for VAT purposed are not subject to customs duty but are subject to VAT
    4. Vehicles first registered in the UK and then registered in Northern after January 1st 2021 are not subject to customs duty or VAT, provided there is proof the vehicle was properly imported to Northern Ireland. The proof required is a copy of the customs declaration showing the importation of the vehicle into Northern Ireland or a T2L document issued by HMRC.
    5. Vehicles first registered in the UK and then registered in Northern after January 1st 2021 are subject to customs duty or VAT, if proof cannot be provided that the vehicle was properly imported to Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Whurley82

Commercial Vehicle Zero rate VAT Question.

Hi, I imported a commercial vehicle from the UK about 2 yrs ago. A zero rate of VAT was applied as i am a VAT registered business.

question (possibly silly one) is.....im thinking of selling it now. do i charge a zero rate of VAT again?? or do i need to chage VAT @ 23% ??

Thanks All!

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eiei0

Hi All

Anyone else find the VRT calculator is not working, you can select make and model but the transmission tab will not populate??

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

i wouldn't rely on that website. It's unofficial and often inaccurate. I believe no4 is incorrect.

Advertisement