Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

We need the national broadcaster on board promoting our game to help it grow. In house streaming etc. is great for people who are already fans but it doesn't help grow the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

It's not the national broadcaster's job to help the game grow. There has to be something in it for them. Free content isn't enough evidently as it was turned down during the week. I know McBennett has been on LOI podcasts before but I'd love to know more about the cost of broadcasting a game. I wouldn't say its cheap to hire those OB trucks and crews. At least with away European ties you'd only be broadcasting another company's feed but then you've studio coverage and guests. Live TV isn't cheap.

Imagine sitting in your office in Donnybrook and seeing the email come in from Lambert. "We won't charge you a fee to show us on TV, can you pick up the rest of the costs"

A bit of realism is needed.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

They are tax payer funded, it's absolutely their job, and more importantly it's the job of the FAI to push them on this. What are RTE getting out of showing underage GAA games, I doubt there's much of an audience for that. Even something like women's rugby they show regularly, they can't be making any money off that.

It's just pure laziness, they'd rather syndicate reruns of second rate US sitcoms than support the arts in Ireland. They make fùck all homogenous programming, pay two bit presenters obscene amounts of cash to do a couple of hours a week, they paid for Daniel O'Donnell to go on holiday for Christ sake, using license payers money.

The fact their best show is literally just archive news footage set to music says it all.

You've to put the cart before the horse here to generate interest, LOI needs to be on free to air, national, tax payer funded TV, particularly if they are participating on the international stage, ie. Europe. It happens all over the world, the Irish League is on the BBC, Welsh league is on S4C.

LOI is of national interest both the men's and women's game it should be on the national broadcaster. Their job is to be a national broadcaster, not a commercial entity but we all know what this country is like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

LOI clubs need to do a deal with TG4

Best sports coverage on the island

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

They used to cover games. Coverage was good so it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Nervy moment with that corner from Vittek

Been killed on the counter attack by these. I'd be very worried when we start tiring later in the match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,182 ✭✭✭Guffy

Dundalk fm commentary pair are absolutely woeful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

They're a public service broadcaster. That doesn't mean their job is to promote the league.

If that was the case it'd be their job to promote every sport in the country. How much golf/cycling do they show?

I'd argue that 17 games a year is decent and reflects the demand for league coverage and that if they're going to increase their sports coverage they should look at other sports. Maybe then they'd be the national broadcaster you crave.

How many Irish league European games were shown on the BBC this summer? BBC Scotland didn't show Rangers the other night.

RTE don't show many underage gaa games. I've seen them on TG4 a good bit. And what women's rugby do they show? The six nations. Five games a year? Maybe they're not making money from the women's rugby but they've a set budget at the start of the year and they know there's x amount of games so what they spend on it/lose is limited.

One thing I'll agree with you on is RTE is shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

McEleney was very unlucky. Shades of St. Petersburg where he hit the bar too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Great header. They've been better in the second half so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

What a finish

What a goal

Feck sake Sonni

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Gutted to concede a late equalizer but an excellent performance by the lads and 2 brilliant brilliant goals from McEleney. Doing the league and the country proud once more.

What was the English commentator on about on watchloi? Going on about the game next week in Oriel Park, how we didn't have a shot on target before we scored and how that was a harsh red card.. it was a red all day long, the bastard kicked out at Stanton when he was on the ground.

straight red fully deserved. 2 great goals and one off the bar. Brilliant performance as the Dutch League is definately a notch up.

Wouldn't it be great if we didn't have to pay €10 each time to watch these performances from our clubs? A ticket is €20 ffs

Very impressive from Dundalk. Has a LOI team ever progressed against a Dutch team in Europe...

• Advertisement

I meant to post that where the ‘english’ commentator sounding said that Dundalk were back to Oriel next week in front of ‘the Lilywhite Army’ 😀😀😀

Cork bet Nijmegen during the noughties in the old Intertoto Cup

Some Czech team are having their own TNS moment.

4 Nil TNS now against Plzen. Play winners of CSKA Sofia or Osijek of Croatia in final round

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Bonkers stuff. Plzen have made the Champions League group stages several times, they beat Roma and CSKA Moscow just three years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Rovers bundle it in at the death. They controlled the game, but struggled to break down the Albanian team. Could be a key goal, it'll force the Albanians to open up in the next leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

That ended 4-2 so Plzen still have a chance. A very controversial handball penalty decision for one of TNS goals. Either way they'll be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight.

Congrats to Rovers on another solid win for the LOI.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Some week for LOI clubs in Europe all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Will these results make any tangible difference for the league's coefficient in the future?

Young and developing players (and managers) may start to take note of this.

I note Marc Bircham just signed a 2 year contract with Waterford as well which is a huge change from the previous regime. There's a lot of young coaches in the league.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

They're easily the worst team I've seen in Tallaght in a long time. Teams have come to defend but have gone over the halfway line - even Flora Tallinn did. I genuinely think I could've kept a clean sheet for Rovers tonight. Galway were much better..

It might be a different game next week - an early goal/penalty/red card, but on that basis they were lucky to get nil.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Brings Ireland up to 39th in country rankings. To see any tangible difference I think would need to be inside top 30, which would mean skipping a round in the Conference League.

Vinny Perth interview in he refers to Vitesse not owning the ground (which was magnificent) retractable roof too.( wasn’t used) but then they haven’t the bloodsuckers we have.

https://youtu.be/5gkVbgzaUD0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,043 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Is it not embarrassing that RTE has shown no ability to cover all the Irish teams great performances this year so far in Europe?

Too busy creaming themselves over the GAA and underperforming Irish athletes in Tokyo.

And rugby of course, always with the rugby as it's their preferred demographic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,182 ✭✭✭Guffy

They offered to show the rovers game at 5pm but rovers, understandably, refused to move the game. They are locked into showing the olympics at that time slot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

PAOK fans match thread, they believe they're playing a team of Irish farmers.

https://forums.phantis.com/topic/16676-ecl-qr3-l1-bohemians-dublin-paok-03-08-21-2145-eest/page/3/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Weird stereotype. Dublin is 50% larger than little Thessaloniki, and Ireland has 4% of its population working in farming versus 11% in Greece.

They're freaked on social media it's fun to watch them have a meltdown. Anyway, that's enough from me, there's hay to be bailed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Stephen Bradley linked to MKDons

First time back in Terryland since March 2020 tonight. Typical pre GUFC home game weather in full swing all day here too, wet and windy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Would be incredibly difficult to replace him. In the end I don't think he will end up getting the MK Dons job, but it's inevitable that he is going to attract interest from teams in the UK eventually is Rovers success continues. He probably has ambitions of coaching abroad too. Hopefully don't lose him right now as this team has a serious chance of making the conference league group stages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

My first live game at all since January 1st 2020

Which is mad because I don't even live in Ireland and I work full time in football. I'm so happy to have gotten this one game before returning to the Middle East on Sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

It's a website that seems to be mainly Americans/Canadians with Greek ancestry so it's not surprising really. Most probably have never even been to Thessaloniki.

In typical GUFC fashion we lose on the night we have a crowd back. A combination of poor finishing from us, 3/4 great saves from McNulty and clinical Cork finishing gave them the win. Great to be back at a game all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

How many are allowed at matches now? is it just season ticket holders?

800 in Terryland tonight. 500 tickets were on general sale since Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

They seem to have some player with deviant sexual behavior. Bohs would be used to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,043 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Big crowd last night at the Brandywell, not sure how many were allowed in.

Decent performance too and a great result. Drogs offered little.

Good to be bad, hopefully we can get fully opened come next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

I think the whole "farmers league" thing is an insult thrown out usually by English fans about any league outside of premier league and La liga

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement