Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working From Home Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

The US also has shocking employment laws let alone data protection laws which leave a lot to be desired compared to the EU laws.

As others have noted above, the US push to get bums back in office chairs has been going on for weeks and they are many weeks ahead of us with reopening, with early September being touted as the great return en masse. However, the stories posted above show that a lot of the companies in the US originally going for September returns have postponed until October or even January. The employee surveys are telling and even if companies take a hard line, it seems they will lose significant portions of their staff straight away by forcing them back to the office. Companies need to realise we are in a jobs boom right now so employees can easily move on.

Ireland is completely not set up for a September return to the office. At this rate we will be looking at February or March next year before all restrictions are finally eased. Remember, offices can't have employees back unless all social distancing and mask rules are abandoned. Otherwise, how will people be able to get to the office on public transport? Ireland has barely reopened pubs and cafes to indoor dining, like literally the absolute bare minimum reopening, it is almost impossible to imagine all our restrictions will be gone in 4 weeks to have companies let people back.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,902 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Even with masks, some aerosol escapes - that's what is happening when your glasses fog up.

Ventilation and totally separate spaces are likely way more important than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Why would they have to do so daily if they've done it at least once?

I am very much of the opinion that masks do not really prevent the spread anyway, it's the hand washing, social distancing and ventilation that is suppressing the spread.

The mask is just a "placebo" as an infectious person will be extruding the virus from their entire body, not just the mouth and sitting in a virus infected cloud of air in a poorly ventilated space, that virus cloud will still infect people nearby due to it landing on their skin and being transferred in by hands etc.

Masks only really stop the breath of a medical person from blowing onto an open wound, thus reducing the risk of infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

They have to confirm each day that they don't have any symptoms, aren't awaiting test results, not a close contact etc etc, they only enter the vaccine info once

• Advertisement

Are we still dealing with this crap, yes they don't stop the spread completely but they are proven to inhibit it and work better than without a mask.

'I have stated my opinion and I am standing by that and it is NOT crap!

Do not try to change my mind!

Anyway if anyone thinks that I am going to sit in an office for 8 hours wearing a mask, they can forget it, I will not do that!

That’s right. If not vaccinated, a test has to be taken every morning and the result declared on the app before you’re allowed into the office. I believe is a firing office if an unvaccinated person lies about having done a daily test (maybe a warning first)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

You're entitled to your opinion, but that doesn't mean it isn't nonsense. It's been scientifically demonstrated that masks can reduce the spread of the virus (up to 80%), which spreads mainly via droplets/aerosols from the mouth and nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

It certainly won't be a 1 September lifting of the work from home restriction. The government said today that they will not publish the roadmap for lifting the remaining restriction until the end of August. Eamon Ryan has said that the work from home restriction will be lifted sometime in September but not named a date. If the roadmap will only be published later this month, and surely schools and colleges will return first, then it would seem that we are looking at a mid to end of September lifting of the work from home restriction. The fact that many US companies are now not reopening in September, will lessen the pressure on the government to lift this restriction at all in September.

Even when it gets lifted, it is difficult to see how mask rules and social distancing rules will get lifted until after Winter.

So what happens between October and March? I think a very small scale return to offices. Many will wait until after Winter. Social distancing reduces office capacity often 50-80% and wearing a mask 8-9 hours a day is not fun.

Those that open ... I bet a lot of companies make it optional (very difficult to force people into the office right now with covid still rampant) and do it gradually (it is a big change for those that WFH for 18 months) so maybe 1 day a week at the start and keep a WFH-first policy until after Winter because the risk of a u-turn this Winter is high with the potential for restrictions to be re-introduced as Israel and other countries have shown.

• Advertisement

That's true.

But even only 20% of the usual viral shedding spread in a non-ventilated space over 8 hours still amounts to significant exposure.

Masks don't replace ventilation and distancing in a workplace.

Bloomberg reporting that ... JPMORGAN REINSTATES MASK REQUIREMENT FOR ALL EMPLOYEES

Seems like mask wearing all day in indoor offices is becoming standard in the US and elsewhere. I can see why but again this real does not add to the appeal of returning.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Szero

At a practical level masks do replace ventilation because ventilation rules are so difficult to define and implement in an office. Offices cannot upgrade air conditioning overnight and some offices cannot open windows. Masks superseded ventilation at a practical level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

And it should not be forced on people, having to return to the office, with masks having to be worn while there. Not that this does seem to be the case but I'm just saying that, for masks to still be needed in the office, attendance should be completely optional for employees.

JPM are lead by a toxic baby Boomer in Jamie Dimon (I have my penthouse office and a driver to take me to work but if I can't see you you're not working), I'm not sure they (like with GS) are beacons of what normal practice will or should look like in any event.

In Ireland, with 1700 cases today, notwithstanding the broken link between cases and infections, it is very difficult to see it go lower than that over the next 2 months. Because, just when it seems like the numbers might have peaked and even start to decline, inevitably schools and colleges will get the case numbers up again. Another reason that WFH guidance won't be removed in Ireland and a return en masse to offices unlikely to occur before the end of the year.

You might find sticking your fingers in your ears and shouting "La La La" while simultaneously shaking your head is the best response

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

It's an opinion that's not grounded in anything resembling reality. It's not even controversial. It's been known for donkey's years that they help stop the spread of water droplets. They aren't a recent phenomenon where they jury's out when it comes to their efficacy. They don't protect the wearer much but they protect those around them by a massive amount.

I refer you back to the point that social distancing, ventillation & hand washing are the preventitive measures except when in very close proximity ( where the wearer prevents infectious moisture from being breathed directly onto another person), otherwise they're just a placebo!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I get where you're coming from. If I'm 5 meters away from you and I'm outside, then the mask wearing is absolutely pointless. I could even accept that that would also hold true in something like a well-ventilated shopping center with a high ceiling at 2 meters apart (for the record, I can cough and sneeze phlegm more than 2 meters but that's not a common event).

The problem is that these offices aren't all that well-ventilated. I have no expertise in construction but I know that it can take a while and isn't cheap. Some places will be able to get their ventilation up to acceptable levels easily enough while others won't. Masks on the other hand are cheap and easier to use than shoes with laces. If all those offices could become well ventilated and habitable even in winter with 5C temperatures that would be great but I don't see that happening, Masks on the other hand can make up for those short-comings.

Masks can compensate over a short time frame.

But when you add long days into the mix, nett effectiveness wanes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭Christy42

For me a mask mandate in work is a wfh mandate. If my job had it it would be better for them for me not to be there if masks are still needed. Obviously essential jobs will still need them as will anyone unable to WFH for any reason. However if the virus is still in a bad enough spot to require masks in the office than anyone who can stay home and work should see it as their duty to do so which will hopefully allow those without this option to work safer.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I haven't been into the office since March 2020.Company aren't allowing it.They have now targeted mid-September as a return date, with a plan in mind for gradual increase in occupancy levels in there, but I am wondering will that change in the coming weeks.They are offering the flexibility to work most of the week from home permanently, and while I am not running back to the office myself, I am not keen on another winter spent working at home every day.

Interesting WSJ article on return to office plans have turned to shreds in many companies.

• Up until a few weeks ago, corporate leaders felt confident about what to expect this fall. Delta has now scuppered these plans.
    • A range of prominent companies now predict it will be 2022 until most workers return.
    • Dell, the latest company to cancel plans, have postponed office return plans and decided not to give new reopening dates.
    • Dell said Delta had moved the risk of the return to the office to "red" and "we expect this for next several months".
    • Multiple Industry events that had been planned for later this month or this fall have been scrapped or gone virtual or pushed back to 2022.
    • Many companies have stopped making reopening estimates altogether. The Houston corporate office of retailer Mattress Firm Inc. is still largely closed, with no reopening date set and they “don’t want to make any predictions” as to when they will return.
    • One executive said "We’re back at the same level of uncertainty with office reopening that we were a year ago.”

As predicted by some posters here many months ago ... office re-opening, is largely not happening until after Winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Szero

Exactly. With any good employer, safety should be the primary driver as to when to reopen an indoor high-risk office. If the government says that masks are still required (which we all know that the mask mandate will not go for some time), social distancing is still needed and cases are still at an elevated level, then why risk employees health by unnecessarily opening offices? Why risk an outbreak in the office and the hassle and risk to employees health that goes with that? Why go through the hassle of reopening and then having to close again with the next surge like Israel?

The bottom line is that now is not the right time to reopen offices. It should be one of the very last things to happen. There is too much uncertainty and risk to do it for next while.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dr_Zeus

I can’t think of any business right now that would put vaccinated and unvaccinated people in a confined office space and keep them there for the whole day. No business would do that responsibly. Certainly not when the work can be done from home, and certainly not whilst covid is still at an elevated level out there.

Businesses won't know and can't ask. All they can do is ensure that they take care of the H&S side of things. The HSE is about the only employer who is aware of a vaccination status.

Bloomberg leading with how we have reached the "point of no return" with September returns to offices.

"The return to the office was over before it even began. Over the last few weeks, a cascade of companies pushed back their return plans because of the highly contagious delta variant of the coronavirus."

BlackRock and Accenture are the latest to push back their office return plans.

Meanwhile, CoinBase have closed their main office and DropBox have said their offices will only be used in future for "collaborative convening spaces".

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/newsletters/2021-08-09/tech-s-return-to-office-plans-get-pushed-back-en-masse

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Well , yes and no.

They can't ask out straight but they can put in place a system that says - If you're vaccinated and show proof you can just come to the office and wear a mask , otherwise we're going to need a weekly PCR test and a daily Antigen whenever you come to the office or something similar.

There needs to be an actual justification to it, not a general health and safety one. There are some industries like food where it could be justified but few others. It is a path that could very easily end up in court.

Post edited by is_that_so on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Manager said this morning we won't be going back until next year.

At that point we have the option of working from home full time.

Going to dust off the covid cert and go for a celebratory drink after work.

Advertisement