Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road to Tokyo 2020 - Irish Olympic News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56,135 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Not banned. Stood down.....bowed to the OTT hype and pressure is all.

5 years later and still no proven corruption at all..there seems to be an ever ending ongoing investigation that has unearted no proof of corruption

Like I said, vast majority fights had right winner....of course, some fights were questionable.That is the sport and its subjective nature

Usual OTT hysterics and feigned outrage that we have...

IOC did not take over judging

IOC took over the managing and organizing of boxing at the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,814 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

They very nearly caused boxing to be kicked out of the Olympics, that's how serious it was getting. Interestingly, the addition of women's boxing may well have saved the sport as an Olympic one.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

There is not much bad luck here other than the modern pentathlon horse draw

Rory McIlroy had a 1 in 7 chance of a bronze, that ain't 50/50

Rhys fell off the Pommel Horse

Sanita failed to deliver in the Olympics. Again.

etc etc

Kellie Harrington squeezed into the final on a 3-2 split, are we ignoring that?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Probably not too surprising since they only initiated an independent investigation into Rio a couple of months ago which is the price AIBA had to pay in order to be able to return to the fold. Four years of marking its own homework, hardly shocking they somehow failed to uncover clear and controvertible evidence of its own corruption.

But the reason AIBA were removed was not just over judging, but because of finance and governance. There were rumours the AIBA President had links to criminal gangs and the association itself was hugely in debt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,347 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

McClaren investigating now...still going on these past months....

Awful ot oe he said she said guff

Not saying corruption dos not happen, but it's way overplayed here

Yes, boxing people who have been appointed by the IOC and who are not affiliated to AIBA in any way.

All correct, yes

I was more focusing on the judging claims......

There is not an orgainization on earth that is not corruptible as regards financial governance...

Past months? The inquiry was only launched at the end of June! It's barely started yet. I think it's usually advisable to wait until these investigations are finished before describing it as "guff". McLaren did a very good job on the Russia doping stuff.

• Advertisement

My take on Rio is that individual judges and referees may have been bribed (by the Russians), rather than the whole of AIBA.

Yes, past months

Fist report due end this month....I doubt they will have clear evidence of actual fixing/cheating for fights in Rio....

Not saying there was not, but one needs to actually show/prove it

I have seen more dubious verdicts than Conlan's. The HW one was probably the main dubious one but of course, Conlan's antics post fight grabbed the headlines

As far as I know both Conlan's fight and the HW fight were unanimous decisions. Were all 5-10 judges cheating/bribed/corrupt?

In the HW fight an Irish judge judged it. I know his face, but his name escapes me at this time.

Edit: Michael Gallagher I think is the name

Well if all the financial stuff and links to criminals mentioned above is true that tends to leave an organisation way more open to corruption than normal so the need for investigation would be valid

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Oldira

Well today was one of those good luck stories. French would not have won Gold only for the messing of the Germans horse.

Possible

But bit of a stretch to think all the judges in MCs and Tischenko's fights were cheting/bribed. Both decisions were unanimous

We've had over 4 years of the AIBA basically investigating itself so now there is at last a chance to get close to the truth and see how deep and extensive that alleged corruption went. McLaren has an impeccable reputation so let's wait and see what he turns up. There's no point claiming there's a lack of evidence or proof when we know they were never really looking for it in the first place.

You realise there were internal quarantines too? Anyway its just an observation. Might be a coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Some of the past judging in the boxing has been beyond belief. I know everyone remembers Conlan because that was the one that affected us most, but there were plenty more at the time that didn't involve Irish boxers. It's bordering on unbelievable that some people are still trying to defend the judging in Rio.

This time, while there have as ever been close calls that could have gone either way, the judging in boxing has felt very fair overall. Hopefully whatever changes are made are kept and the AIBA are kept as far away for the Olympics as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

• Advertisement

So fair that Uzhbekistan and Kazakhistan have only one boxing medal apeice compared to 7 and 5 respectively in Rio.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,276 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Sunita was feeling unwell. Rory had few lip outs(although of all Irish he was least i cared about). Walker was very unlucky

All im saying is that fine margins is difference between a good Olympics and excellent one. Rhys does not slip he was banker for medal.

Everyone needs bit of luck too. Aidan Walsh got a nice draw so it was not all bad for us.

No matter how good you are you still need a bit of luck.

You can't say somebody like Coyle or Walker did not perform on the day when they did but one got a dud of a horse.

Interesting. Were they the chief beneficiaries of, ahem, 'generous' judging in the past one wonders? Very noticeable that traditional boxing nations like Cuba, GB and the US have come back into contention at these Games.

Overall the vast majority Rio fights were the same. Fair...240 or so bouts, and only very few were dubious

No different here or anywhere as regards that large number bouts...

There is absolutely nothing different or dramatic about Rio compared to any global boxing tournament with many many bouts. The only difference is the exaggerated hyped outrage.

Had Conlan not been shouting and roaring and effing and blinding, nobody would have given a damn. Juts another decision. The actual bout I scored 29-28 Conlan.

Let's wait for McClaren to finalize his report/inquiry, but don't hold your breath expecting to find out that the 5 judges in Conlan's fight were on the take, or the 5 in the HW gold medal bout.

Actually, not sure now...I think it was 3 judges in the Rio bouts. Anyway, both fights unanimous.

5 judges judged but only three scores counted. It was 29-28 all three. The issue was round 1. I gave this to MC, all three Rio scoring judges gave to Nikiitin. I gave MC round 2, as did all three judges. I gave rd 3 to Nikittin, as did all 3 judges.

Nobody is defending anything. Just giving a realistic and objective take on it.

Far worse decision today I thought in HW final bout. Cesar did his usal not engaging for 9 minutes and won a unanimous decision. Russian lad landed most the actual clean punches, as well as pressed the action all the way.

The BBC commentators were a sham. 30 seconds in and criticizing the Russian for starting slow....with Cesar running away and the Russian chasing him....and they slating the Russian

Not one singe mention of Cesar being negative and moving back all night. It was all the ususal Mayweather crap about not getting hit.

I forget the names but the single worst sporting - let alone boxing - decision I've ever seen was between an Azerbaijani and Japanese fighter in 2012. The Japanese guy battered him around the ring for 3 rounds, knocked him down SIX times in one round - and lost!

That happened not long after the BBC ran a report about the Azeris bribing officials for medals at the London games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Yep. No to boxing as well. There have been numerous cases where the outcome was a mystery to all but the judges. I would have thought that they could come up with a tech solution (like fencing) that could count the landed punches.

More to boxing than just “landed” “punches”

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Irish Sports Follower

It's testament to how much Olympic Sport has progressed in Ireland that returning with 4 medals is a major disappointment. We had the pedigree to claim 4 medals in Rowing alone whilst kinder draws would have made winning 3/4 medals in the Boxing ring very realistic. I think that Rowing and Boxing will continue to provide us with multiple medals at the next couple of Olympics: the growth of Rowing in this country is still on an upward curve, whilst our Boxing team was very much in transition in this Olympic cycle yet still produced 2 medals this time round. We should aim to win 5/6 medals in these two sports combined and aspire for a couple more in other disciplines. McClenaghan is probably our only competitor at the moment outside of Boxing and Rowing whose medal prospects stand at more than an outside chance - hopefully the likes of Woolley and the Men's 49er can elevate themselves to this status by Paris.

I think Rugby 7's should be a major target for us in future Olympics. Only two other European countries [GB and France] have as good a tradition in rugby as ourselves and the fact that we have played the sport [albeit the XV version] long before other countries [many of whom only started playing it seriously upon it being made an Olympic sport] should give us a competitive advantage in this field. Hopefully more players who do not breakthrough in the XVs game are encouraged to transfer to the Sevens programme. I think there is a particular opportunity on the women's side to sway our best players to the Seven's game given that their XV's equivalent is not professional: surely the carrot of an Olympic medal outweighs winning a 6 Nations for them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,276 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I doubt many think 4 medals is a "major disappointment".

Good post otherwise.

Bookies had us to win 2 to 3 medals with 2 being slight favourite.

I do think we should be aiming to win 5-8 medals per games going forward now though

Advertisement