Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

IONITY - charging / fees / tips

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I've seen rakes of Model 3s last few weeks, used to be Leafs by a mile but now the most frequent EV I see when out and about is the M3, those SR+ guys gotta charge somewhere

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yeah. At home. With 300-400km real world range (especially in recent heatwave) they likely need DC charging en route less than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭bodgerfederer

First time at ionity cashel. it really is a kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭bodgerfederer

The chargers worked. 2 of them were blocked by young morbidly obese couples who seemed to have gone there just to hang out, drink energy drinks and admire the view across the road of the depressing halting site. A small greyhound kept wandering over to us.

The food looked crap, everything just felt shabby and dirty. We put another hour on the journey and went into cashel to eat.

hopefully soon some enterprising people will realise that ev drivers would rather not go to a petrol station to ‘fuel’ their cars.

• Advertisement

Ionity Cashel is not located in a nice area. The "mobile residents" across the road and in that general area are not the best neighbors if you are in a new fancy car.

Not sure what the fat shaming has to do with anything, mind.

hopefully soon some enterprising people will realise that ev drivers would rather not go to a petrol station to ‘fuel’ their cars.

If you thought the Cashel services was bad, you should have seen a Tesla SuC location we charged at in France. A truck stop & the only food option was unimaginable 🙄.

Ionity's 4x 150kW units in Cashel are a damn sight better than eCars laughable, single 50kW DC unit, in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

Have been using Ionity for almost 11 months now, must say it has been a pleasure. Never have any more than 3 been in use, but mostly on my own, especially Gorey. Under utilisation is the main problem (I wonder why?🙂) Agree Cashel not great, but chargers have been reliable. Parking and poor services are the main problems there.

A few weeks ago was at Kill and a lady pulled up in a newish E-Tron. She was having problems with the CCS plug, she said wouldn't fit in the car socket. She was surprised when I showed her the second charging door on the other side of her car, but was happier still when I told her it was on free vend..

Post edited by eagerv on

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

People really need to educate themselves a little when they buy an eV.

Ideally, before buying! €50k+ invested in a vehicle with no clue how it works or how to use it?

Madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I also blame the people selling the cars. They havent needed to explain petrol or diesel since the switch from horses.

Are they trained on these things i wonder or do they just want to gloss over it and get the car out of the showroom?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

This can be very hit and miss. We got a 1hr+ handover from our dealer recently when picking up our ID4. The guy really out a lot of effort into it.

Unless it was a q4 Etron she was more like 75-100k into it with no idea how to fast charge!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

It is shabby indeed.

But so are most Ecars FCP locations outside of the Pale...

I actually prefer Cashel to Kill East/South or whatever it's called (The one coming out of Dublin).

The angles are the wrong direction for many EVs with the charging door on rear of car. Even with my smaller easily manoeuvred car, yesterday was difficult with the atrocious weather and the speed other vehicles exit the Naas road into the service station.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Orientation of charger, location of charge port on the ever increasing number of EVs as well as cable length is a not to be overlooked as it's a serious issue not being tackled.

It can only be tackled by all parties together

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

VW’s Diess has an unflattering word or two for Ionity after going on holiday in an ID3.

He expects bathroom and coffee facilities and, well, plugs that work from a service like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭wassie

Have one of these on order. Card also covers ESB which is most of the country covered. Pricing wouldnt surprise me at all, given DCI are the largest fleet fuel card player on the island of Ireland, which will no doubt be growing. Will confirm the pricing. Prices would be ex-VAT as its for business/fleet use only.

DCI may well be looking to change their name soon - Diesel Card Ireland!.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

Stopped by Kill West on the way from Dublin Airport to Galway today - ABRP calculated this as the fastest route. In a Model 3 Performance

All 4 chargers with no light above, tried a few times to start the charge with no success, tried no.4 and no.2.

Called the hotline, lady started the charge for me , got 53kwh for free, made it to Galway in 2h40min from the airport. not too bad 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

purple light on charger no 2 (does it mean charging in progress?) , no light on others

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭zg3409

Spoke to guy from DCI on the phone today, pricing not yet settled, esb, ionity and others. There may be a monthly fee. Guy was from NI, with NI phone number. I told him ESB free there, but a monthly fee would not work for me as I use ESB and ionity so little. He said he only found out today Ionity was not same prices as ESB! Pity, I hoped they made an error on pricing but not to be. He said they have Facebook ads running and lots of EV drivers want to know their ionity pricing, but it's not set in stone yet. Their diesel prices vary every week, and depend on the number of vehicles in your fleet etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭denismc

Had a frustrating day today at Cashel.

I was unable to get a charge using the Ionity app, so I called Ionity and they said I had activate the charge on the app before plugging in the car which is the opposite to the on screen instructions.

Anyway after 20 minutes of faffing about I ended up using the ESB charger.

After my charging experience this weekend I would really be slow to recommend an EV for anyone who does a lot of cross country driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭jusmeig

What's the state of play at Ionity Gorey? Anyone been recently?

Was there last Friday, very quiet as usual. Only Ecars in use, except for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭digiman

Went by Cashel on Saturday and every single charger in use. Place was jammed, the 2 ESB chargers were in use also.

How does one queue for an Ionity when the entire carpark is full and noplace to stop and wait without blocking the carpark on others.

not sure to be honest, it certainly hasnt been considered thats for sure. this is probably one of the busiest times of the year for holidays and most are staycationing so presume thats why, ive never seen cashel full before.

I've never seen it full either but I assume you park perpendicular to the chargepoints and wait?

There's plenty of access around there anyway. With 4 DC at Ionity and 1 50kW ecars you're not likely to be queuing long

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭digiman

Parking perpendicular might work, it would still be awkhard for some drivers to get by you though as the carpark is tight enough and there was a few cars doing laps around looking for a parking space. I'd need to look at it again to see if that would be disruptive to other drivers, last thing you want is your car getting dinged by someone!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Chuppa Siopa

I had to q there on Saturday. I parked perpendicular to the chargers, in the hatched area at the end of the card parked opposite. Didn't block anyone and just as I parked a sound lad came over and told me he was just leaving the charger.

Only had to wait 5 minutes and 3 cars left at pretty much the same time.

Cashel really is a dump though. Carpark far too small, shop/cafe is poor for food options. I also saw a young girl getting surrounded by aggressive barking dogs from the neighbours across the road, her dad had to race over to save her

• Advertisement

You'd likely be in the car if you're queuing though, be grand.

Advertisement