Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Katherine Zappone Envoy Gig

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

I would not compare the current mob and Haughey now.

So far Leo has handed over a Document, given someone a 60day/15k a year role and attended what the Ag says was a legal and ok event.

Not defending actions that are wrong but when want to compare well its not much of a comparison to Haughey buying Islands for Millions and cashing pay checks in bars so nobody would know the state of his finances.

Did we ever have a public process for electing envoys? Once again a serious question?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

This headline and article will infuriate a few contributers here 😏

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Sure it is but then we get back to reality....

A crap one but human nature cannot be changed...

• Registered Users Posts: 69,175 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Varadkar to grace us all with a statement later this evening according to Newstalk.

Absolutely mad to see the tribalism in here regarding their favoured parties and how willing they are to turn blind eyes when it comes to indiscretions on their "team".

Especially considering how indescribably similar they all are.

Corruption should never be tolerated.

• Advertisement

I can't contain my excitement 😉, probably too much to hope for his resignation 🤔 but of course such a consideration would beneath him.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 rocjohn

Zappone who is member and operative in the US Democratic Party and a US citizen campaigned for Joe Biden to be elected President last year in New York.

The narrative here is the Merrion Party was a going away do.

How long has Zappone been living in the US? ,it seems at least since last year,in which case the public are being gaslighted by this American ,Democratic Party operative and her associates in FG/FG. More likely this party was a celebration for getting a made up job at the expense of Irish people....she was long gone from Ireland.

Why has Coveney compromised the Irish state by trying to secretly hire a US Democratic Party activist as an Irish Diplomat ?

Why have senior members of the Irish government attended a bash in the Merrion hosted by an activist of the US Democratic party and whose recent political actions have been centred round the US Democratic party.?

A huge number of the Irish Diaspora in the US support the Republican Party and vote for them . How are the long term interests of Ireland maintained if the political class here are so one sided dealing with the US.?

Trump for all the ignomony with which he is covered here in Ireland saved jobs and created more in Co. Clare. Zappone created one job here ,for herself and paid for by us until she was rumbled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

Remember the carry on with Siteserv and IBRC?

Using the CPI index we're still a fair bit behind our northern European counterparts in regards to corruption

No doubting its improved immensely since Haughey's days but I wonder how much of that was directives from Brussels

We're no banana republic but also no Norway, Denmark or Finalnd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

Likely avoiding the domino effect of axing Varadkar. We saw how he can't hold his tongue and can get snotty very easily. Also Martin doesn't want to rock the boat while he's top dog and Ryan is happy to cash his cheque.

She went to new York last summer when the rest of us were treated like a granny killer for going near the airport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

Haughey was in a league of his own. Also he had taps on journalists phones and a finger in every pie. The state was afraid of him IMO.

We are waiting on results from the Sitserv investigation, Project Eagle being investigated by the British, we've the Woulfe appointment, the numerous gaffes, the **** show of arguing with NPHET during a pandemic, Golfgate and more. The Merrion/Zappone thing is a reminder of the type of people we are stuck with.

Leo will be on RTE News shortly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭ooter

Mr varadkar will be on the six one news in the studio.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Do we know who is going to take this envoy job?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,391 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

He really is an offensive individual.

Out on his ear he should be.

Noone id say....it was invented by her,for herself

It looks increasingly like alot of these UN roles.are bolix and a root and branch review of all roles funded by taxpayer here should be undertaken to evaluate their importance/value for money

• Registered Users Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭archfi

I see RTE put their top political journalist on the case interviewing Varadkar.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,175 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Car crash interview (interviewer was a lightweight sadly) where he blamed everyone else, the people, Failte Ireland, SF and the ambiguous guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Where was Caitriona Perry when we needed her ?

Car crash stuff from Leo V there. Pity it was “only” Sharon Tobin, asking the questions though. No remorse, no hint of resignation and his continued use of “regret” BS. Not a word re Zapponyism either barring a few soft questions and answers in the end. Not a wiff also on whether he has spoken to MM and the several days of the ministerial media blackout. Pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭ooter

the Merrion hotel appears to be the only establishment in the country that was aware of the revised guidelines, not even failte Ireland knew about them. it would appear Mr varadkar didn't know either but thankfully the Merrion set him straight.

She along with most of the National Broadcaster on holidays, I doubt there is a single other country in the world would permit such an exodus every year, its an absolute disgrace.

Wouldn't it have been Hillarious if Vincent Browne was hiding in the studio and came out to do the interview 😁

In fairness I thought Sharon Toibin did a decent Job, she kept at him and he was certainly ruffled, albeit typically blaming everyone but himself. He did apologise but it almost sounded like he was apologising on behalf of someone else.

But he does look somewhat rattled

That dark haired girl on primetime would have punched holes in him, she's too good for RTE.

They wheeled him out onto the 6PM slot rather than primetime and they put a few days between the press releases and him showing up. Varadkar "understands how people can get confused" lets see about that advice Leo..

obfuscation

noun

1. the action of making something obscure, unclear, or unintelligible.
    2. "when confronted with sharp questions they resort to obfuscation"

An absolute shambles of a comeback. he was caught lovely and comes back with well there's guidance backed up by legislation, then there's guidelines, then there's NPHET advice oh and then there's the rest of the advice in case I haven't lost the listener by now. And lets not forget that he's so sure of the guidelines that he asks a hotel and a manager on the way in, if all is well?? so are his many advisors off knocking on doors dressed as IPSOS indie pollsters then now?? he did in his arse ask anyone. That party was a congratulations on your new Job kinda party. The best part of all was that it turned out to be her leaving do!! classic.

Also, this guidance is so randomised and ad hoc, you need your own personal attorney general on speed dial to look it over for you..Jesus what does he owe Leo and the mean girls I wonder.

Sarah Mcinerney and yes, she would have torn him to shreds 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 9,417 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Great post!

I missed the interview but you have painted the perfect image I believe.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mariab21

No way in the world would he do an interview with her

because she wont let them recall their script and she takes them off it so they'll catch themselves out...again too good for RTE

it's called PRIME TIME for a reason, it's PRIME TIME TV. That's why he didn't go on it. He went on the news while we're all deciding what to make for dinner, what do get for tea and of course it's the one that follows the angelus! Watched by the older generation, you know, the ones who Leo is saving?

Gosh I wouldn't like poor leo's job.... leave the poor man alone....those types.

I'd prefer Mcinerney to anyone other interviewer. Especially the weak chin wonder Perry or that New Teaboy on primetime..

I'll call her Sarah McInearnest from now on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

What is your point about its watched by the older generation ? I watched it as did my friends and family all of the “ older generation “

We all think Leo should be absolutely ashamed of himself and his fake apologies .

He has now jeopardised the health of young people by allowing a free for all so he can cover his own ass .

This has opened the floodgates for all sorts of parties and everything that NPHET wanted to avoid . But its grand sure cos Leo said so

The older generation as you call us are not thick or innocent , we have seen it all before and we can smell a cover up a mile away .

Advertisement