Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The Irish protocol.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,629 ✭✭✭✭downcow

I don’t know. It was a nationalist friend told me that they were all pissed of because sky were block the countries highlights to the south of us. I’m sure someone knows about it who could help.

Here is my team almost bringing a tear to my eye.

you support your team. Good luck to you

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMdwb7ReP/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

I hate to remind you of the GFA again, Downcow.

British OR Irish OR Both.

Perhaps they acknowledge their mixed heritage without the hatred of anything remotely Irish that seems to affect you?

I have no problem with respecting my fellow citizens right to either solo or dual nationality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

So if team Great Britain is OK because it is representing all athletes who are British and not a sovereign country why can't team Ireland be OK too in that it is representing the Irish nation of people which is not all within one sovereign country. I think it is hypocritical to laugh at team Ireland representing an island and not a sovereign country but think team Great Britain is OK when it is also not representing a sovereign country.

Did you mean to say unionist instead of British. Everyone from the North is a British citizen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

In the event Judge Colton upheld the legality of the Protocol, while conceding it superseded Article 6 of the Act of Union (the part that talks of 'equal privileges' in the UK). Of course the Act of Union, as NI Unionists often seem to me to forget, refers to "Ireland", not "Northern Ireland". The failure to correct this must call into question how much of it remains applicable and how much of it has lapsed, given the South's departure from the UK in 1921, and particularly since the 1931 Statute of Westminster, under which the UK gave up any notion of Westminster still having the power to legislate for countries with Dominion Status like the Irish Free State (later the Republic of Ireland).

Having said that, the Protocol is not going to work unless the UK implements it. The options are:

• The EU to wait out Boris Johnson in the hope of a Labour government at the next General Election, or a smaller Tory majority, or a hung parliament bringing the UK back into line on implementing the Protocol. On the basis of recent polls I think a Hung Parliament is possible but perhaps a smaller Tory majority is more likely.
    • Renegotiating the text of the Protocol. I don't think the EU is prepared to do this at the moment. Some argue that the EU renegotiated the original NI Protocol during the Brexit transition period and this is true. But what it renegotiated was the UK Wide Backstop, which would have avoided new checks in the Irish Sea. The UK wide backstop in turn replaced the original NI Backstop, which was close to the current NI Protocol. Ironically, Johnson brought down May out of opposition to an arrangement that would have avoided the Irish Sea customs checks, negotiated checks in the Irish Sea ports, and is now trying to renegotiate the latter and in my opinion is actively campaigning for the anti Protocol side ahead of the NI Assembly elections. In particular, Frost hinting at redefining "consent" for the Protocol beyond the definition in the Withdrawal Agreement (of a simple majority in the Assembly) suggests further demands for renegotiations may be coming, or that the UK may unilaterally replace it with a cross-community consent that they know is not there.
    • Keeping the Protocol in place but interpreting it more flexibly. I think the removal of Phil Hogan over Golfgate meant the EU Trade Representative that replaced him was perhaps less acquainted with the potential pitfalls of a hardline interpretation of the Protocol, particularly as a former Agriculture Commissioner in the context of the SPS issue. While supporting the Protocol, I am not impressed with the rigidities in interpreting for example the restrictions on bringing pets from GB into NI, or the Irish Department of Agriculture suggesting dogs may be put down if they haven't received the rabies vaccine. But the balance of blame rests with the UK in my opinion for signing up to something they appear to have no intention of implementing.
    • An SPS agreement to free up agrifood trade, which has emerged as the most important bottleneck in terms of disruption. However it must also be noted that the DUP returned £5 million to the British government that was supposed to address this problem. Their opposition to the Protocol seems more ideological than practical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I have no idea what you're even remotely trying to say here. Can you try that again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I love the idea that you would support a lad from Sunderland if he was fighting a lad from Belfast all because of the bib they wear. And that you'd notionally feel closer to the lad from Sunderland because "Team GB". It's farcical, and shows you up no end.

Anyway, back to the NIP, any chance you can answer my questions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Id be rooting for the Cuban against the lad from Belfast if he was in a GB bib.... let's not go crazy on the moral superiority buzz.

Downcows a brit, he can't help it, he was born that way.

Oh absolutely. I was responding to someone who was simply asking if they were all Irish. I said I doubted it. This is something you and me agree on. I completely respect people from ni right to be any of those or all of those

• Advertisement

I would not nitpick and disagree with you. It’s ok if Ireland claim to represent the island. And I won’t even get upset when the fly the flag and play the anthem of only one of the countries on the island.

I am relaxed about it. I have my team and as you say it is also complicated.

I wasn’t aware that everyone from the north was a British citizen. But hey that’s great with me. Some of them may not agree with you but I’ll leave that to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,741 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

They asked if they were 'Irish citizens' downcow and they are because you have to be to be on the team. You can get on the team too because you too are an Irish citizen.

If you or your parent were born on the island of Ireland before 2005, you are an Irish citizen. You can apply for an Irish passport without making an application for citizenship.

Citizenship - Department of Foreign Affairs (dfa.ie)

Why is it farcical?

when ni play the republic in football, would you prefer to see the Englishman on the roi team or the lad from Belfast on the ni team score?

I see nothing wrong with supporting your team.

again it just shows a misunderstanding of the Uk

Fairplay pokeherking. I would both understand and support your logic.

Very interesting

the first bit is irrelevant to me as that’s not my country or government making the proclamation. It’s like if the Spanish government said I was a Spanish citizen if I was born with blonde hair.

what’s really interesting is that since 2005 the Irish citizenship of those born in ni is qualified. Did the shinners take their eye off the ball?

I am surprised you posted that link

Ps your link also seems to say that we are citizens of the EU. Something many on here lambasted me for saying and they said I needed an Irish passport. Not so sure reading that

anyone clarify for me?

Ironically that post of yours francie is quite relevant to the thread

is this accurate when it says ??

What does being an Irish citizen mean?

You are formally recognised as a national of Ireland and a citizen of the European Union. You have certain rights. These include the right to

• live and work in Ireland and the EU

This will mean we have arrived in heaven when we get rid of the protocol bad bits.

we will have/be:

fully British

unfettered access to EU and GB

right to live and work anywhere in UK & EU

QUITE ASTOUNDING!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Suckler

It's great that these distracting avenues open up for you to avoid the pertinent and accurate questions and points raised about the NIP.

em...I think you will find you are wrong. Try reading it again.

NI was still on the island of Ireland after 2005 and before it, unless I missed something.

• Advertisement

If you have applied for and received an Irish passport.

You were told this clearly at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,146 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Downcow you’re not really British. They don’t really want you crossing that border in the Irish Sea.

It doesn’t say that on your link. It says I can also have a passport if I wish but says that citizen of Ireland is a given and with it. Citizenship of EU and right to work in Europe.

can anyone clarify? And stop trying to win silly games francie. This is point that really interests me

Ok. You try getting EU benefits with a British passport.

Get back to us and tell us how you get on.

Some people just cant be told I guess.

If you are born and raised in the North you are automatically a British citizen. This was confirmed in the courts tho it is contentious for people who just identify as Irish. Btw will it be great with you in the event of a UI when you would automatically be an Irish citizen aswell if you continued to live here.

So a person raised in England is an English man even tho he identifys as Irish through a parent or grandparent.... that does not make sence to you.

But for people like you from Ireland can't be called Irish because over 500 years ago your ancestors came from Britain which makes you British not Irish.... yeah that makes sence

Haha you’ve came to the party late. That one is sorted

I was not born in the country of Ireland.

which reminds me I asked my South American friend who she would feel if she was referred to as American.

she was very considered and said she would politely ask the person in what context they meant. She is not American in her view.

but you guys think she is

You are a citizen of Ireland because you come from the island of Ireland.

Recognised the world over by other countries and sporting federations.

You can identify as you like, no issue. But it doesn't change the facts outlined.

To accomodate that your PM negotiated and agreed to the border being in the Irish Sea and the Protocol.

• Advertisement

No one has clarified whether Francis’s link is accurate ie roi seems to have conferred Irish citizenship on me and claims that allows me to work in EU. Is this correct?

it will hurt the sale of Irish passports, if true, lol

Advertisement