Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sets of faahve

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,567 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Squat:
    20kg x 10
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    90kg x 2
    100kg x 3
    100kg x 3
    100kg x 3

Used gym by the office today. Got in as early as possible in the time slot to guarantee a squat rack. Forgot my flats so squatted in timberlands. Form not 100% but slowly getting there.

Did 3x10 leg press and 3x15 leg extension after. Quick band facepulls before going out the door.

Squat:
    20kg x 8
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 3
    100kg x 1
    110kg x 1
    100kg x 5
    100kg x 5
    100kg x 5

Tekkers was far better this week. Figured doing a (for me) heavyish single before doing rep work would make the rep work feel better and by god it did. The first rep of the first 100x5 felt like air compared to the 100kg warmup. Was aiming for a set of 4 but it felt good so did 5s. More in the tank strength-wise, but I was empty cardio-wise. Wearing a mask again probably didn't help.

Finished with 3x10 20kg each side one-arm DB rows, followed by 3x12 6kg lateral raises.

In and out in 40 minutes. Graaand.

Deadlift:
    70kg x 5
    100kg x 5
    120kg x 3
    140kg x 3
    140kg x 3
    140kg x 3

Wasn't going to deadlift, but all racks were taken so couldn't squat. Before gyms closing, I was concentrating on sumo but went conv today because I find t less technical.

Positioning felt good but bracing was crap and every 3rd rep was awful. First time pulling in almost 5 months so can't be surprised.

Bench:
    20kg x 10
    40kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    70kg x 5

First time benching in 19 days and 2nd time benching in 4 months. Had room in the tank for at least one more in each set. Kinda assumed bench would be the worst of the 3 lifts but right now, it's probably feels the best.

A round of 3x10 one-arm DB rows @ 15kg with no rest before going home.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,603 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Kinda assumed bench would be the worst of the 3 lifts but right now, it's probably feels the best.

Same. Well, in that it feels the best/least drop off. But I kinda felt it would be the least worst because I was able to at least load it a bit closer with bands and long pauses with push-up handles at home.

Hammies still in absolute bits from the deadlifts the other day.

Squat:
    20kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    100kg x 2
    110kg x 1
    120kg x 1
    100kg x 6
    100kg x 6
    100kg x 6

Staying beltless. Form felt fantastic. I'm going to stay beltless for a while because I feel like I'm reinforcing good habits rather than patching over them with a belt.

Bent over row:
    60kg x 10
    60kg x 10
    60kg x 10

Considering I haven't done BB rows in ages, this was perhaps too heavy. Was just lazy with changing plates. Oh well.

Finished off with some EZ skullcrushers @20kg 3x15 and lateral raises @ 5kg 3x15. Was going to do some goblet squats too but gym was closing.

• Advertisement

No rack free today. Boo. But at least one was taken by a guy who actually hit depth. That makes two that I've seen in the gym, including me.

Paused goblet squats:
    20kg x 10
    20kg x 10
    20kg x 10
    20kg x 10
    20kg x 10

Easy. But somehow got the quads burning

Bulgarian goblet squats:
    12.5kg x 10
    12.5kg x 10
    12.5kg x 10

First doing single leg anything in months, so just felt crap and constantly losing balance.

One arm DB row:
    12.5kg x 20
    12.5kg x 20
    12.5kg x 20

No rest. Too light anyway, but couldn't find any 15s or 17.5s.

Leg press:
    60kg x 20
    60kg x 20
    60kg x 20

Could taste my breakfast cereal after the first set. Next two were easier.

Underwhelming day. Probably will have doms regardless.

Had awful quad doms since Tuesday. Those light paused goblet squats probably killed my legs.

Gym was practically empty but the two racks were still taken when I went in. Typical. Arsed around with some more paused goblet squats and leg extensions when I saw both racks free up at the same time. Ran over, put down my stuff and started setting up and realised I never wiped down the leg extension! Grabbed some paper and spray and ran over saying "sorrysorrysorry" to the guy who had started setting up there but I think he was scared at the crazed masked guy rampantly apologising to him and said he had cleaned it down himself.

Squat:
    20kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    90kg x 3
    110kg x 3
    110kg x 3

Staying beltless. Couldn't get this to feel right and it was mainly because the bar was slipping down my back, so I kept having to put my elbows up to get the bar resting on my rear delts, which meant I lost some lat tension. Bars are kinda crap, but I also blame my t-shirt as it is a really old cotton one that doesn't offer much grip. Gave up after two sets because I could see myself having to bail.

I had bought some A7 tees at the start of lockdown for this specific scenario and never wore them, so need to remember to bring them in with me.

RDL:
    60kg x 5
    90kg x 10
    90kg x 10
    90kg x 10

Jesus, my grip is awful. My palms and fingers were so sore. I'm completely callous-less at the moment and need to change that, pronto.

Finished off with some facepulls.

Crappy day. But something is better than nothing.

Skipped the gym on Tuesday as I had no sleep and figured it would probably kill me. Had a few stressful days in work so was very much looking forward to lifting some sh1t.

Squat:
    20kg x 10
    60kg x 5
    100kg x 3
    120kg x 2
    110kg x 5
    110kg x 5
    110kg x 5

More ad hoc weight selection and still beltless. Top set felt good. Second set of 110 was bad as weight was slipping down my back. Was wearing my A7 so can't blame the grip. Probably just losing upper back tightness. Overall, happy that numbers are going up despite the inconsistent and low volume of training.

Bench:
    20kg x 10
    40kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    70kg x 3
    70kg x 3
    70kg x 3

Felt awful. Benching once a fortnight isn't going to help anyway.

Finished off with 3x10 one-arm DB rows at 15kg with no rests.

Sweaty day. But oh, so satisfying. I needed this.

HB squats:
    20kg x 10
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    90kg x 8
    90kg x 8
    90kg x 8

So, this was cardio. Hadn't done HB in flats in years. Form was surprisingly good. Legs felt fine but I was seriously winded by them.

Finished off with 3x15 leg extensions and 3x10 DB rows @ 20kg.

Again, something is better than nothing. But something = puddles of sweat.

Again, something is better than nothing. But something = puddles of sweat.

It was a particularly sweaty day for squatting

• Advertisement

HB squat:
    20kg x 20
    60kg x 5
    90kg x 3
    100kg x 8
    100kg x 8
    100kg x 5

On Tuesday, it seemed that cardio rather than leg strength was the limiting factor, so decided to push the weight a little today. Was fine, but form was absolute rubbish in 3rd set so cut it short.

RDL:
    60kg x 5
    100kg x 5
    100kg x 5
    100kg x 5

Grip let me down. Combination of having weak grip these days and just being really, really sweaty from squats.

Finished off with 3x15 seated hamstring curls and 3x15 rear delt fly machine thingies.

Dat humidity.

Paused goblet squats:
    22.5kg x 10
    22.5kg x 10
    22.5kg x 10
    22.5kg x 10
    22.5kg x 10
    22.5kg x 10

Got to the gym late and racks were taken. These destroyed my quads a few weeks ago so giving them another go. Much more in the tank.

Leg press:
    50kg x 5
    90kg x 15
    90kg x 15
    90kg x 15

These were awful. Felt sick after them.

Finished off with one-arm DB rows 3x12 @ 15kg. Was going to do something shoulder-ey but gym was busy and I cba.

Sweaty day. No gym on Thursday so hope to get back to lots of HB squats next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,804 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Any lifting these days Mr. Cage?

Hopefully this week. Eldest started creche a few weeks and we're all as sick as dogs since then. In the current climate, best to keep away from other people just in case.

It's not like a week or two of not training is going to have any massive impact on me after not training for 10 months!

Got to the gym last night. Had it in my head that ~40% of my old max for sets of 5 would be the very heaviest I'd go for the first time training in 10 months.

Squats:
    20kg x 10
    40kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    60kg x 5

60 felt light at first, but 2nd rep of first set made me think "ah jaysus, this isn't going back up". Once I got over that, the rest of the sets got easier and easier. Neuromuscular adaption or some fancy term like that.

Was mainly trying to prevent old bad habits from coming back; breathing through my belly and relaxing shoulders between reps happened a handful of times, but I was able to cop on.

Bench:
    20kg x 10
    30kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    40kg x 5

This was just too easy. Should have gone heavier but I was waiting for the bar to feel heavier after a few sets, but it never did. All those sets of 20 floor pressing a 11kg toddler paid off, I guess.

One arm DB rows:
    10kg x 10
    10kg x 10
    10kg x 10

Grand.

Woke up this morning with the only bad doms on the inside of my leg. Can feel something in my quads, hammies, shoulders and lats, but it's fine. Main thing is I got some training done and have no problem picking up my children. Mission accomplished.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Yaaaaay

Gym last night. Planned on doing roughly the same as last week, albeit add more weight

Squats:
    20kg x 7
    40kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    80kg x 5

Form felt off. The 3rd rep on every set threw me forward. Hard to know if I'm subconsciously being lazy with my bracing because the weight shouldn't be heavy. Stupid brain.

Bench:
    20kg x 10
    30kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    50kg x 5
    50kg x 5
    50kg x 5
    50kg x 5
    50kg x 5

Grand. Could have gone heavier, but didn't. Just trying to remember to set up with my feet further back so my knees are lower than hips. My long shins make this hard.

One arm DB rows:
    15kg x 10
    15kg x 10
    15kg x 10

Grand.

Very little in the way of DOMS this morning. Should have maxed out.

Went last night again. Twice in one week? Who am I

Deadlift:
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    100kg x 5
    100kg x 5
    100kg x 5

Again, keeping the weight light. Bar was easy to move but grip was awful. But I just concentrated on the fundamentals of hinging, bracing etc. First time in 11 months pulling anything.

Also forgot how retarded I can be as I was struggling to put the plates on the bar because I forgot that deadlift jacks exist and one was right beside me.

Also, why oh why did I use the Kabuki bar? My soft girly hands were wrecked.

OHP:
    20kg x 10
    25kg x 8
    25kg x 8
    25kg x 8
    25kg x 8
    25kg x 8

Expected shoulders to get tired towards the end but I might have been far too conservative with the weight. Oh well.

Finished up with 5x15 lat pulldowns. Grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

If you don't have a jack and have the first set of plates on it you can roll each side up onto a tiny plate then slide on the next plate onto the bar. Or use to unload

• Advertisement

If you don't have a jack and have the first set of plates on it you can roll each side up onto a tiny plate then slide on the next plate onto the bar. Or use to unload
    It was putting on that first set of plates that had me looking like a moron

Gymmed Monday night.

Squat:

5x5 @ 80kg

Bench:

5x5 @ 55kg

Squats... had been over a week since being in the gym, but I had said the last time I squatted that my form was a bit all over the place and I wouldn't go up in weight until I was happy with how this weight moved. Well, I'm still not happy. No rep feels bad but every rep feels slightly different. It doesn't feel heavy by any means, but I just need to find a groove.

Bench is graaand. I've been going up 5kg every time I've benched and it's always felt light. Just need to remember to set my feet up further back than I used to to keep my knees lower than hips.

Intentionally added no accessories as I was getting Pfizer #1 the next day. Was going to gym last night (Wednesday) but felt sore all over. Couldn't make my mind up if it was the muscle soreness side effect, which affects 1 in 10, or actual DOMS. Erred on the side of caution and stayed at home. Will go tonight instead

Gymmed tonight

Deadlift 5x5 @ 110kg. Last time I deadlifted felt so good that I jumped 10kg. Grip was awful though and I had t switch to mixed grip on the last rep 2. Added a 10 second static hold on the last two sets. Form wise, it didn't feel as solid as I would have liked. I think I rushed the reps a bit so didn't always have a good starting position.

Bench 5x8 @ 50kg. Felt easy. Except for last set because I rushed my rest period as the gym was closing. But happy to get the reps in.

Gymmed last night

Deadlift:

Planned on repeating my 5x5 @ 110kg from last week but make it less crap. Worked up to 110kg x 3 and it was feeling great, so YOLO'd up to 130kg for a triple and then did my planned 5x5 afterwards. Just wanted to see how the 110s would feel after having 130 in my hands. Everything felt better and more uniform. Had one dodgy set where I forgot to breath between my first three reps because I'm a tool and had to take an extra breather, but that's it. Was completely wiped by the end of them though. Probably the heat.

Also, I made an effort to keep tension going down, which made the reset between reps far easier and was probably a big help to keep things consistent. I used to purposefully lose tension and have to brace from scratch between each rep as a way of saving energy, but that didn't do what it was supposed to.

No benching. Did some light (10kg) goblet squats with heels up on a wedge at the end, 3x10. I usually squat with femurs out at 45ish degrees, but heels kept slipping on the wedge, so I went knees forward. Knees forward usually feel uncomfortable for me, so I kept it light. But I felt fine last night; probably the height of the wedge.

Gymmed last night

Deadlift:

Did 4x6 @ 120kg. Felt heavy in my hands and as ever, anything over 5 reps is deathly because I'm unconditioned AF. Noticed in videos from last week that bar drifted inwards off the floor, so I started with the bar a little closer and that seemed to fix it. Up and down.

I think my breathing and abdominal bracing is a bit crap. I drill the breathing beforehand but once I'm bent over the bar with my hands on it, I suddenly become a little bit retarded. Ugh.

Platz-style paused goblet squats:

Did 5x10 with 15kg. This isn't a real exercise and I made the name up, but it follows the Tom Platz squat style of elevating the heels, having a close-ish stance and putting the knees forward. Was grand. Should have gone heavier

Also noticed my gym has a leg extension. Never noticed it before, and my gym isn't exactly big. Interesting...

Gymmed tonight

Bench:

4x5 @ 55kg

10 @ 55kg

Had planned on deadlifting but no platforms or racks free. First time benching in 2ish weeks and felt stronger than the last time I benched.

Bow bar squat:

3x5 @ 84kg

When I got a rack, the nearest bar was a bow bar and I thought sher why not. Only my second time using one. Felt ok.

Heels up goblet squat:

3x10 @ 20kg

It's annoying not being able to get to the gym consistently but at least having no plan means I'm capable of doing anything. Productivity is non existent but at least I'm having fun

Ffs I was reading away not minding the dates thinking your return to the gym was flying it.

how to you find bow bars for squatting? It’s likely my next purchase in an attempt to back squat again with no shoulder pain. Duffalo bars are nearly 1k with all the extra costs added on. Can’t find one reasonably priced anywhere

Hard to tell tbh. My shoulders only get doms-ey with a straight bar after not squatting for a while, but no problems otherwise, so I'm not the best to comment. But the strengthshop ones are still fine to use and far cheaper when they're actually in feckin stock.

I would have thought that an SSB would be a better buy if you have shoulder issues. Or do you have one already?

I have an SSB but find it puts too much pressure on my lower back trying to fold me in half. I might re introduce it with lower weight higher reps. Find a new love for front squats lately thank god.

From any reading I’ve done it says the bow bar is as close as you’ll get to a realistic low bar squat with less pressure on the shoulder.

• Advertisement

Well for those reasons, yeah, would be a good buy. Aside from the curve of the bar, it's also a few mm thicker, which helps make it more comfortable. But makes it a few kg heavier too.

The SSB putting pressure on your back kinda sounds like you're doing something wrong though. You sure you're not doing something like shrugging your shoulders up into the pads or something?

Advertisement