Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle infrastructure planned for south Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭crisco10

For that particular example, I think the reality is the horse bolted when the junction was first built. It was only 15 years ago or so, and they didn't even consider that pedestrians/bikes might want to cross the M50 at that point. So now you're left with a situation where the segregated traffic (bikes and pedestrians) have to cross the roundabout twice to safely navigate their way across.

Completely agree with the poster above who says it will increase conflict. People in cars are now going to say either 1) why isn't that bike in that lovely shiney cycle lane? or 2) I can't believe I'm stopped at all these pedestrian crossings to let a single bike navigate the junction.

Sloppily retrofitted pedestrian crossings slow down cars too.

Going forward, you'd like to think junctions like that are a great lesson in the advantages of future proofing at the initial design stage. But alas I'm not hopeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Ah right, I get you now. It is cyclists AND pedestrians that you want to dictate route choices for, while motorists can do whatever the hell they like, regardless of the damage caused to others.

Thanks for clarifying.

I suppose the big question about cyclists being on the road and not the cycle lane is- so what? What's the actual impact?

Let's not kid ourselves that cyclists contribute to traffic delays to any material extent. It's all the other cars that do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,979 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Grand so Andrew, you'll not be needing Strand Road after all. Noted.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

I dare say Andrew doesn't need Strand Road. It is substantial portions of the commuting population yet to be enticed into cycling that will benefit from such infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

• Advertisement

I dont want to have to get cross a busy junction to get into a cycle lane, I want to stay on the side of the road I am on as crossing to get into the cycle lane means I have to cross again 200m up the road. This is a very busy and dangerous road to cross and because it has been anrrowed so much it is dangerous now to cycle with the traffic. I cycled it for twenty five years with no issue and I had no idea a cycle lane was proposed until the workmen arrived.

Absolute nonsense posting,its like talking to five year olds.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I think five year olds can manage right turns on a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Think I'm done engaging with you now. It's mostly just ranting now.

• Advertisement

Honestly, for someone comparing others to five year olds, this is like a temper tantrum from a stroppy kid going 'I don't want to, I don't want to'.

In fairness, if I was turning off 200m later, I'd probably stay on the road too. If you find that drivers are beeping you on the road, your problem is with those drivers, not with cyclists and not with the designers. Your problem there is idiots who've been emboldened by the extensive pro-car media (heavily supported by car company advertising) to kick up a strop anytime they find themselves behind a cyclist for 10 seconds. It's OK to be stuck behind other cars for 10 minutes, but not behind a cyclist for 10 seconds.

Your problem is with beeping drivers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It was announced over a year in advance with 2 rounds of public consultation done

Do you expect them to give you a personal call?

The car drivers are beeping out of frustration.

They see an empty cycle lane which is utilising a third of the road.

Then they are stuck behind cyclists who dont want to cross busy roads to get into a cycle lane that goes nowhere.

And, no, you cant stay on the road because there is no space for you, the road is barely wide enough to allow two cars to pass, you eventually end up having to cycle on the footpath, its all a stressful horrible experience and enough to put me off cycling.

its all such a stupid waste of time and energy and meanwhile other cycling lanes which are heavily used are in an atrocious state.

I am perfectly capable of making a right turn and thats all i want to do, I want to cycle on a road I cycled on for twenty five years and not have to go into a ridiculous two way cycle lane that goes nowhere and has no possibility of ever being extended so cyclists arent thrown out onto a narrow road.

And it is like talking to five year olds, two wheels good, four wheels bad, round and round we go.

No, but I would expect local residents to be leafletted about major changes to the area they live in.

its pretty grim to have to ask workmen what they are doing, as I said covid was used as an excuse to install infrastructure locals werent demanding.

i am complaining for at least ten years aboout pedestrians have to share a path with speeding cyclists on the N11 near stillorgan, complaining too about the condition of the cycling lane in stillorgan park, gave up eventually, utter waste of time and then thousands spent on a two way cycling lane on Carysfort Avenue that has very few cyclists using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

You know it’s going to be part of a wider network. Why do you keep stating otherwise?

What part of a wider network, what are you talking about.

I dont care about wider networks, i want to be able to cycle my bike without making two crossings across a busy road to get home.

You don't have to use it. For the sake of 200m stay on the road.

Its your elected officials job to be doing that sort of leafleting, the council's have formal channels that are well established to place such notices. It's your business to make sure you know where to check.

Say they have 1000 houses in an area, not inconceivable, that would be roughly 950 to post them, as they're not going to pay someone a leafleting crowd to do that because they have formal ways of doing things. That'd be a collosal waste

I know about them and I don't even live there

Its unsafe to cycle on the road now, my poor pal nearly had a heart attack today when someone drove at her blaring the horn.

I forgot to tell her to stay on the footpath.

The thing is if you are knocked off the bike you will die on the road waiting for an ambulance as there is no where for cars to pull in to let ambulances past.

There is on way a fire brigade could get past either so you better not set your house on fire.

But, hey, its part of a wider network so its all good.

How come they only get frustrated when behind a cyclist for a few seconds, and don't get frustrated to beeping level for all the hours they spend stuck in traffic behind single occupancy cars? It's a nonsense proposition. It might have happened once. I'll try sticking the camera on and sticking to the road myself next time I pass through, just to prove your nonsensical claims to be nonsense.

The emergency services deal directly with the Council and have not raised any complaints. That's another red herring that was put to bed months ago.

You keep inventing ver increasingly ott hysterical concerns that really are anything but when previous one doesn't land.

I had a car come within inches of me today out for a cycle by some f*cker who chose the worst possible time to overtake blind into the oncoming lane. Got angry, but hearts fine. You're friend might need to see a doctor if a beeping car is causing that much distress.

There's 1000s of road that cars can't park on to let a such things by, but they manage. The parked cars that were previously there where a bigger issue and are frequently called out on social media by emergency services for being problematic on roads.

Also the blaring driver, that's a driver problem, not a cycle lane problem

• Advertisement

If you turned left onto an unfamiliar road and a car appeared within inches of you blaring its horn you would be highly stressed, this person is over sixty and was frightened.

And yes this happens regularly on this road, its sometimes accompanied by drivers shouting use the **** cycling lane.

As I said a third of the road is given over to this white elephant and then they see cyclists in the bit left to drive on. I didnt cause this problem and I will continue to cycle with the traffic unpleasant though it is now.

Hopefully this cycle lane will be removed once people return to work snd normal commutting resumes, it was supposed to be temporary and reviewed.

You are very inconsistent in what you are saying. It really is coming across as ranting. You said that the cycle track goes nowhere and I pointed out that it was to be part of a wider network, then you say that you don’t care about wider networks. It’s a very weird approach to moan about something and then say that you don’t care that you reason for moaning will be removed.

They get frustrated because there is barely room for cars to pass each other because of a cycle lane thats too wide, how can I make this clearer, I am a resident of over thirty years duration and you are attempting to belittle day to day difficulties I am relating.

You clearly do not live in this area.

I have no idea what representations ambulance services made but quite clearly if cars have nowhere to pull in then they are blocking rescue services, this is a matter of life snd death by maybe ambulance services could buy cargo bikes and cycle with life saving equipment, sure what could go wrong with that.

Its such fun talking to you.

2 cars can’t pass on the road I live on. There are articulated trucks servicing a business a few doors up. It’s a minor inconvenience. No point in getting frustrated because I can pull out of my drive 20-30 seconds later. If people are getting frustrated about minor inconveniences while driving, maybe they should rethink their mode of transport as they sound like they are endangering others.

I forgot about the bus company on my road too.

So you have never cycled from the village to the top of Carysfort Avenue but you are maintaining those who have havent had cars blaring their horns at them.

okaaaaaay

Get yourself a bike camera (for evidence) and report it to Blackrock Garda station. Horns aren’t meant to be used in an aggressive manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

I regularly cycle up and down Carysfort Ave and have never had any motorist blare their horn at me, pre or post the new cycle lane. But then maybe I'm cycling and using the bike lane properly.

Had an incident last week where I was coming down Carysfort Ave on the cycle lane, when a car began to turn left across me into Convent Rd. He didn't see me, probably not paying attention, could happen to anyone. I stopped, he saw me and stopped, it was all very courteous with each of us waving the other on. No beeping of horns, abusive comments, aggression or such. I find that courtesy begets courtesy and good manners are responded to with good manners!

I am sure you are and well done you.

This is not addressing the issue which is that there is no way for residents on the East side of this Avenue, either living directly on the avenue or the many housing estates off it to cycle to their housed without crossing this road twice.

Its a steep climb upwards so annoying to stop half way up, wait for a break in traffic to then get into a cycle lane, stop and get off the bike again and wait for another break in traffic and hurry across the road with your bike.

Isnt this painful to read, its painful to do it everyday too.

I take exception to your insinuation that any lack of courtesy on my part is what is making cycling difficult for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 patobrien12

Can we get this for Waterford as well. Badly needed

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,375 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what junction do you have to get off your bike to cross?

Advertisement